watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Azerbaijan player misses penalty on purpose

Started by Neil D, October 07, 2015, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil D

Interesting touch of sporting play here where a player from Tottenham's Europa League opponents, Qarabagwere, deliberately misses a penalty he didn't think he should have been awarded.  He told the ref he had simply stumbled.  My first thought was they must have been five or six goals up at the time so it was an easy gesture to make but they weren't.  Qarabagwere went on to win 2-0.  I'd like to think Ross McCormack might do the same  079.gif but not at 0-0...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB-2Ddqznyk

HatterDon

I remember Franny Lee telling a ref that he had NOT been fouled and should not have been awarded a penalty. The ref reversed his call. I think it saved the opponent from being sent off.

Lee was the newspaper darling for about three weeks -- a great example of British sportsmanship. A month or so later, he was felled in the box and the ref missed it. Lee strolled over and said, "You missed that one. It should have been a penalty" and trotted off. The ref immediately booked him.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

Great character, Franny Lee...and a pretty good player.

He was guilty of two things which these days bring howls of hatred and opprobrium on the heads of foreign players - he was a serial diver and he was famously awarded a goal which he punched into the net (against West Ham?) - but because he was English he was just a rogue and loved by everyone (except Norman Hunter).   

Blanco

Hard to see why the ref wouldn't just listen to the player. Why would he admit to not deserving the penalty if it was one? He isn't gaining anything from being honest. Just listen to the man and give a goal kick.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Neil D on October 07, 2015, 02:27:54 PM
Interesting touch of sporting play here where a player from Tottenham's Europa League opponents, Qarabagwere, deliberately misses a penalty he didn't think he should have been awarded.  He told the ref he had simply stumbled.  My first thought was they must have been five or six goals up at the time so it was an easy gesture to make but they weren't.  Qarabagwere went on to win 2-0.  I'd like to think Ross McCormack might do the same  079.gif but not at 0-0...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB-2Ddqznyk

Outstanding!  Hat's off to that chap.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Ordar

I remember Fowler diving to get a pen against Arsenal and telling the ref it wasn't a penalty. He did miss the pen (although not deliberately,) and Liverpool scored the rebound. I believe he won some kind of sportsmanship award for that.

Also remember DiCanio catching the ball during the game in a dangerous situation so a player could get treatment

Burt

Quote from: Ordar on October 07, 2015, 04:31:26 PM
Also remember DiCanio catching the ball during the game in a dangerous situation so a player could get treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jKos-unoW4

Neil D

Hmm.  Categorised at the time as DiCanio forfeiting a 'goal-scoring' opportunity.  It was some way from that.  Maybe, as an unreconstructed Fascist, he just couldn't stop himself from putting his arm up...

leonffc

I remember Fowler diving to get a pen against Arsenal and telling the ref it wasn't a penalty. He did miss the pen (although not deliberately,) and Liverpool scored the rebound. I believe he won some kind of sportsmanship award for that.

I think Fowler did miss it deliberately. It wasn't too long after Euro96 and he and David Seaman were part of a very close knit England squad that had a great spirit. Fowler was a brilliant finisher and that was an easy pen to save, I'm sure he gave Seaman the nod where it was going.
Unfortunately MacAteer wasn't the brightest and didn't read the situation

HatterDon

Quote from: Neil D on October 07, 2015, 05:43:49 PM

Hmm.  Categorised at the time as DiCanio forfeiting a 'goal-scoring' opportunity.  It was some way from that.  Maybe, as an unreconstructed Fascist, he just couldn't stop himself from putting his arm up...

brilliant!  :clap_hands:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

westcliff white

didn't sheringham do something similar against man city?
Every day is a Fulham day

gezkc

Quote from: leonffc on October 07, 2015, 06:17:25 PM

I think Fowler did miss it deliberately. It wasn't too long after Euro96 and he and David Seaman were part of a very close knit England squad that had a great spirit. Fowler was a brilliant finisher and that was an easy pen to save, I'm sure he gave Seaman the nod where it was going.

I don't quite understand that. If Fowler deliberately missed the penalty, what was the point in diving to try to win one in the first place?

westcliff white

Quote from: gezkc on October 08, 2015, 12:49:35 AM
Quote from: leonffc on October 07, 2015, 06:17:25 PM

I don't quite understand that. If Fowler deliberately missed the penalty, what was the point in diving to try to win one in the first place?
He didnt dive the reason for that is he said no pen as soon as he got up, he clipped his own heel and went down was is wording and told the ref that but to no avail. As for McAteer complete idiot on and off the pitch ot surprise dhe put it away a she only ever thought about himself
Every day is a Fulham day