News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Big Sam holding talks today to replace manager.

Started by f321ffc, October 09, 2015, 10:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: The Old Count on October 10, 2015, 12:56:33 PM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on October 10, 2015, 12:31:23 PM
Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2015, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on October 10, 2015, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on October 10, 2015, 12:18:39 PM
He would never have dropped down a division. Naive to think otherwise.

You could have said the same about Keegan and Wilkins. You could also have said Tigana would never come to us. You could also have said Coleman would never drop two divisions to play for us.  I could go on.....
It all depends on the proposition you present.

You are right of course but for me they are very different circumstances... At that time Al Fayed was pumping in the cash and clearly bankrolling a push to the premier league with big name managers and star players. It doesn't feel like that at the moment.

Bingo.

So are you both saying that you don't believe the club has the intent to get back into the Prem?  Or do you reckon that Mr Khan thinks (or has been told) that a return to the Premier league can be achieved by other means?

Eh?

No, I am saying Sam Allardyce wouldn't drop a division. I also said MAF bankrolled our success. I made no reference to Khan at all.

Burt

You could have said the same about Keegan and Wilkins. You could also have said Tigana would never come to us. You could also have said Coleman would never drop two divisions to play for us.  I could go on.....

You are right of course but for me they are very different circumstances... At that time Al Fayed was pumping in the cash and clearly bankrolling a push to the premier league with big name managers and star players. It doesn't feel like that at the moment.

Bingo.

So are you both saying that you don't believe the club has the intent to get back into the Prem?  Or do you reckon that Mr Khan thinks (or has been told) that a return to the Premier league can be achieved by other means?

Good questions...

I think there is a desire to get back in to the Prem, but not at any cost, and in a sustainable way. Hence my comment about the difference between what it was like when MAF bankrolled us in to the top flight (which was for a club of our size high cost and, in the long term, not sustainable), and how it feels now.

I don't think Khan is prepared to have an open chequebook approach, which is fair enough, but ultimately that will probably mean that we won't be attracting the likes of Moyes, Allardyce, or the others mentioned, etc. around here any time soon.

grandad

Thank goodness he won´t be coming here anytime soon. Never liked him. Media darling when one of his teams win but have you seen him when things go bad. What a miserable grumpy chap he is sitting with his arms folded with a hang jowl face.
Where there's a will there's a wife

The Old Count

Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2015, 02:13:35 PM

Bingo.

Good questions...

I think there is a desire to get back in to the Prem, but not at any cost, and in a sustainable way. Hence my comment about the difference between what it was like when MAF bankrolled us in to the top flight (which was for a club of our size high cost and, in the long term, not sustainable), and how it feels now.

I don't think Khan is prepared to have an open chequebook approach, which is fair enough, but ultimately that will probably mean that we won't be attracting the likes of Moyes, Allardyce, or the others mentioned, etc. around here any time soon.
My thoughts entirely. 

St Eve

never say never. Keegan did. Somehow we got Tigana. Coleman dropped 2. If the money and ambition are there you can attract anyone.

mikestrand

Quote from: Burt on October 10, 2015, 02:13:35 PM

Bingo.

Good questions...

I suppose sustainability means we have to take the southampton youth policy route , but with all the other clubs having to do likewise will there be enough decent youth players to go around.
My advice to Khan would be get the best Manager you can afford its the one thing you cant skimp on.