watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Engerland

Started by bog, October 13, 2015, 04:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Is it me? I find watching Engerland such a chore and a bore now. Where have the skill players who used to excite and get one out one's chair gone? The only time I am out of mine now when they are on is because of a weakening bladder. Are the naturally talented having this coached out of them when young at the expense of good old fashioned efficient teamwork? Sterling does try to take opponents on but he has a rare end product.
Since LeTissier there has been no one. Worrying to me anyway.   

092.gif 

alexbishop

You should know Roy well enough  by now to know he errs on the side of caution.

There are glimpses of skill evident in players like Barckley, Sterling etc. but they don't have the confidence to exhibit it.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

ron

Irritating when they persistently try to walk the ball through the middle of a packed defence with over elaborate 2yard passes.......but ten out of ten silences most criticism.  A weak group possibly, but you can only beat the team in front of you......

David Allen Crankshaw

I rarely bother watching England on the  telly. The European matches don't excite me because the results are so predictable. However I did enjoy watching England Ladies even though it meant staying up for matches starting at midnight.

bog

It is just having been through the eras from 1958 onwards we now seen so very plodding. One of my favourites who just had the natural talent and enjoyed it all playing with a smile on his face was Mick Channon.
I do not expect to be surprised come next Summer.

Thank you and good night

092.gif   

HatterDon

So, let me make sure I understand this. This IS Roy Hodgson's England, right? The club that just finished qualifying for a major tournament by winning all 10 of its ties?

How tragically sad that your national team performs so poorly.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

valdeingruo

Ten out of ten, you cant get better than that. Even World Cup winners Germany cant say that. As stated above Roy plays cautiously, we all know that. Winning your group, no matter the opponent quality is a difficult feat. Every group winner besides England has either lost or drawn atleast one match.

Is it a bit rigid? Yes it is. Still cant take away from the achievement. Lets see how well they play in the Euros. I think that this current group of players is the most "flair" that England have had in awhile.

Most of Roy's selections make sense and the rotation is sensible. I don't think the US has had a solid line up since Jurgen took over.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Holders

I just can't get as excited watching England as watching Fulham.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Burt

I think Roy has done an outstanding job.
- Qualified in style.
- Stabilized the team.
- Has started to blend in the next generation.
- Did his usual approach of "organisation, discipline, and no one individual is bigger than the team". It worked for us, it worked for England.

Sure, it was hardly the group of death. And sure, some of the performances were hardly mind-blowing. But they did what was asked of them efficiently and without drama, and avoiding the banana-skins that have slipped up previous England teams and managers.

There is no way we will win the Euros, but a QF or even SF appearance wouldn't surprise me...

jarv

England has been a complete bore since the 70s. I never watch them. I remember Tommy Docherty's comment...if England was playing in my back garden I wouldn't open the curtains to watch them. I admit to being a bit biased, I am a Scot. :005:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on October 13, 2015, 04:45:48 PM
Is it me? I find watching Engerland such a chore and a bore now. Where have the skill players who used to excite and get one out one's chair gone? The only time I am out of mine now when they are on is because of a weakening bladder. Are the naturally talented having this coached out of them when young at the expense of good old fashioned efficient teamwork? Sterling does try to take opponents on but he has a rare end product.
Since LeTissier there has been no one. Worrying to me anyway.   

092.gif 

Yes a classic example was Matt LeTissier, they don't seem to make them like they use to.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Evening all. I am glad that Roy is in charge. After the Erickson and Crappello I was glad to get an Englishman back in the seat. And let's be honest if he had not been given a job by us he would never have been there now.
  The point I was trying to get across is that where are the real flair players gone? There are none about anymore. The principle of not giving the ball away has replaced a player taking a risk by taking an opponent on with ball control and body swerve and turning the defence of the opposition and causing havoc. Personally I would rather see risks taken.
I agree that Roy is trying to build with yoof which is good and I hope that he is successful long term, well obviously so. His substitutions are generally spot on, but next summer will be the real test. 10 out of 10 is a perfect as they say. I was not criticising the 100% but let's wait and see.

Thank you and good night 

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.