watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stick or Twist?

Started by Brawn, October 18, 2015, 11:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawn

For someone like me who tends to make up my mind about something ridiculously early and quickly, I'm still on the fence with Kit Symons.

Anyway, looking at every factor in turn, in a statistical manner  mind.

Results: His 33.9% win ratio places him 23rd out of 37 Fulham 'managers' since records began in 1904. This places him above: Andy Ducat (1924-6); Martin Jol (2011-3); Jimmy Hogan (1934-5); Don Mackay (1991-4); Mark Hughes (2010-1); Vic Buckingham (1965-8); Ian Brainfoot (1994-6); Bobby Campbell (1976-80); Bill Dodgin (1949-53); Rene Meulensteen (2013-4); Alan Dicks (1990-1); Bobby Robson (1968); Felix Magath (2014); and Lawrie Sanchez (2007). Statistically, I don't think that's good enough. I also heard on Cottage Talk last week about a version of the table where difficulty is taken into account (or something) that some guy on Twitter composed. The poor guy's updated it this week, and that shows we're just mediocre, mid-table. Nothing more. Nothing less. He also thinks we're going to lose to Leeds based on that evidence. So, on results, Kit has to go. However, what if we suddenly turn it round? After 11 games last season, Bournemouth only had 15 points, which is two more than us, and they went on to win the league. However, they were only six behind the leaders at this stage, whereas we're 12. With two of the bottom three settled (apparently), it's worth a gamble to switch.

Performances: Up and down like a yo-yo this season, and indeed last season too. Oddly, he's a bit like many players to come out of our academy, in that he could be world class one day, but each day it seems very flat and not progressing anywhere. We had this with Patrick Roberts and Kerim Frei. We have this currently with Dan Burn, Marcus Bettinelli, Alexander Kacaniklic, Cauley Woodrow, and Moussa Dembélé. But like with our youths, will we recognise when he reaches his zenith? Has he already reached it? Is he nowhere near? Do we think long-term and forego promotion this season and wait for Kit to mature and go for it next season? I think that it's worth the gamble now, but I think if we can keep Kit at the club as U21 manager that would be beneficial. After all, look how badly the U21s got when Peter Grant took over...

The William Shatner factor: (i.e. KHAAAAAAAAAAN!) After the last gamble he made went spectacularly wrong (sacking Rene and bringing Felix in) he hasn't gambled anything - including any money - since. Since then, we've made a net profit in every transfer window (including wage savings) and haven't once been in the red in the transfer market. As such, he won't get rid of Kit until it's too late - like Jol, like Magath. He has to be persuaded by Rigg and Mackintosh that there is long enough left in the season for any gamble to be rectified. I'm confident we won't go down. But this is Shahid Khan we're talking about, so that's one vote for 'stick'.

Team selection: Stick. Easily. He's picking our strongest XI, week in, week out. OK, maybe he should have been more forceful in keeping Stekelenburg and Mitroglou (something along the lines of "unless we get a bid for a permanent deal that matches our valuation of you, you're not going anywhere"), but you won't get the major changes in the starting XI that you normally get for a new manager's first game in charge if a change occurs in-season: Symons made three changes, Magath made five changes, Meulensteen made seven changes, Hodgson made two changes (compared to both Lewington's caretakering and Sanchez), Sanchez made three changes... but if a competent manager replaces Symons, you can only really see two changes at most from the side that drew yesterday - Tim Ream and Scott Parker in. So in my opinion Kit's playing our best team.

So I'm really not sure where to go here. Stick or twist? My head says stick, my heart says twist.

Kent Cassandra

At this point it's safer to stick.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Ordar

Will we ever get promoted with Symons..... no.

So I guess it depends on if you're aiming to go up or not.

Tonywa

If we're not aiming got go up then it's all rather pointless unless the extent of our ambition is to avoid relegation.  I don't think we'll go up with Kit and I do think the groups of players is probably good enough to at least challenge for the play-offs so it's definitely 'Twist' for me.

filham

Remember the two centre back signings only arrived five games ago, give Kit a little more time and stop talking about alternatives but get right behind the team and Kit until such time as the management decide he is to be replaced.

That way we as fans will do our best for the team.

nose

it's head and heart stuff.

My heart says I like kit, he is one of us, give him a bit longer, it may yet work out

My head says, I have seen it all before, 5 games for new center backs will not make a difference, they are not that impressive, burn is still the best option but Kit does not like him. If we were going to show signs of improvement, it would have happened long ago. 13 points from 11 games means around 54 points come the season end, if you believe in predictions. I suspect the best total we might make is 65, hard to believe we will beat that. Result and more improtantly preformances not good or consistent enough.

If I was giving kitm advice, it would be get rid of curbs immediately.

Fulham1959

Let's learn to walk and then learn to run (again).

If we're in the top half of the Premier League in 5 years' time then the wait will have been worth it.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: filham on October 19, 2015, 03:54:04 PM
Remember the two centre back signings only arrived five games ago, give Kit a little more time and stop talking about alternatives but get right behind the team and Kit until such time as the management decide he is to be replaced.

Bingo.

Sadly such rationality, fairness and realism is in short supply on this forum nowadays.

H4usuallysitting

percentages percentages percentages.........in footie you're only as good as your last game, its a points based business, and we are currently in the bottom half of the League....5 points from the bottom 3, and 7 points from the top 6 - do I think Kit will get us up or in the top 6 at the end of the season - probably not, but with Kit we should hover around 8/10 place.......at the end of the day its Rigg and Mac to note if there is progression within and to act accordingly.......the big question is - who would replace Kit and make us a top 6 team?

nose

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on October 19, 2015, 06:25:50 PM

Bingo.

Sadly such rationality, fairness and realism is in short supply on this forum nowadays.

when stacey north and simon morgan were signed it was obvious there were a class better than what they were replacing. immediately...when gale played his first game, no question he was class...
ream and steerman, are hardly any different to what we already had and five games should have been plenty to see signs of life... but in the interest of being fair, how long do you think we should give it? five more, 10 games?

MJG

Quote from: nose on October 19, 2015, 07:02:22 PM

Bingo.

when stacey north and simon morgan were signed it was obvious there were a class better than what they were replacing. immediately...when gale played his first game, no question he was class...
ream and steerman, are hardly any different to what we already had and five games should have been plenty to see signs of life... but in the interest of being fair, how long do you think we should give it? five more, 10 games?
Ream & Stearman are both so much better than Bodurov and Hutchinson its a bit embarrassing

bill taylors apprentice

Thats a lot of waffle and you have still come to no conclusion

Last season with all the issues he had to deal with he achieved a poor return of 1.3 points per game while this season with all the benefits of a pre season and improved squad he has reached the dizzy heights of  1.1 points per game.

The quality of the players is no longer the main issue, its how they are prepared, set up tactically and inspired to achieve by the manager and his coaching staff, that's the issue NOW!
What's holding the team back now is the manager, FACT!

If the club are serious about top 6 then we need a big improvement on 1.1 points per game, so I say we must win our next two home games or another season is wasted with just over a quarter of the season gone. 

you lucky people

only for the reason that the squad seem happy with him and want to play for him, I would stick, the next 6 games will see where we are ( a long way behind ) currently!
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

Wearethewhites

Bingo.

On this forum, on this forum, on this forum.. God you're so sad!! Why does every reply, comment of yours have to involve mocking the negativity on here? If true be told told, you do it deliberately, for whatever Reason(s), maybe to get a reaction out the people who don't support Kit. So what. I'm surprised the Mods haven't picked up on your complete arrogance yet.

Ron91

Stick. Give him some more time lads.

hovewhite

Stick and get khan and rigg to look at it after Xmas as we have to allow this team to gel then judge kit.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Wearethewhites on October 19, 2015, 09:05:14 PM

Bingo.

On this forum, on this forum, on this forum.. God you're so sad!! Why does every reply, comment of yours have to involve mocking the negativity on here? If true be told told, you do it deliberately, for whatever Reason(s), maybe to get a reaction out the people who don't support Kit. So what. I'm surprised the Mods haven't picked up on your complete arrogance yet.

Or your weird obsession with attacking my comments.

And you call me sad?! Look in the mirror pal.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on October 19, 2015, 10:30:23 PM

Bingo.

I don't have a weird obsession, I just find your constant digs at this forum, and the people who post on it, a bit disrespectful. You spend half your time here, posting, but constantly run it down. And I'm not your Pal.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Wearethewhites on October 19, 2015, 10:35:52 PM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on October 19, 2015, 10:30:23 PM

Bingo.

I don't have a weird obsession, I just find your constant digs at this forum, and the people who post on it, a bit disrespectful. You spend half your time here, posting, but constantly run it down. And I'm not your Pal.

So you counter this alleged "running down" of the forum and its members by attacking me.

I am not sure I follow your logic mate.

Be well.

Logicalman

I think the pair of you should cut it out, press the ignore button and get on with life, without bringing your domestics onto this forum.

If either of you cannot cut it out, then the Moderati will, and as you are aware, we always take some good stuff out with the bad, so please be warned.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.