watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

McCormack

Started by FulhamStu, October 23, 2015, 12:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

I agree with a lot of what is written on here, however one player who I think is getting more stick than he should is McCormack.

I agree he is not yet at his best, however he is still one of our best performers.   If you look at any highlights package, he is included a lot - thats because he is our most dangerous player.  The opposition know this and I am sure they will always target him.  This should in theory give more space to others.

He is our top scorer again this season and 7 goals at this stage is ok.  Yes, he cost a lot of money and yes we expect him to perform well every game, however whilst not at his best he is still incredibly important to our play.

One thing I would agree is that he should not be captain.  Its a bit like when Boa was made captain, he was our best player so was given the roll.  Stearman should be captain right now.

N_O_W_S

I agree regarding Captaincy. I would rather he has the freedom to play his game and completely focus on himself. Look at Rooney. I think the captaincy affected his game at United. I'd rather see Ross playing 100% committed than having to consider pulling out of a challenge etc for the sake of not taking a yellow and potential suspension that kind of thing.

I also think it would give him more time to talk to Moussa who takes a lot of direction from him on the pitch. Stearman is a vocal defender, you can hear him in the stands. If he continues to be solid and consistent he is an obvious choice.

MJG

The classic 'Hes good, so no we cant ever drop him because one of his twenty free kicks that hit the roof of the stand might go in' player.

For me hes doing my head in with his antics. Never challenges with a player, always looking for the foul, moans all the time. Yes he has skill and can finish when he remembers hes a striker and decides to shoot. But should never ever be captain.

epsomraver

Quote from: FulhamStu on October 23, 2015, 12:02:50 PM
I agree with a lot of what is written on here, however one player who I think is getting more stick than he should is McCormack.

I agree he is not yet at his best, however he is still one of our best performers.   If you look at any highlights package, he is included a lot - thats because he is our most dangerous player.  The opposition know this and I am sure they will always target him.  This should in theory give more space to others.

He is our top scorer again this season and 7 goals at this stage is ok.  Yes, he cost a lot of money and yes we expect him to perform well every game, however whilst not at his best he is still incredibly important to our play.

One thing I would agree is that he should not be captain.  Its a bit like when Boa was made captain, he was our best player so was given the roll.  Stearman should be captain right now.

I don't watch highlight packages I like a lot on here suffer watching him for 90 minutes  being mainly useless, moaning about everything ,missing sitters, poor free kicks , he should be dropped, I know his wife has just given birth so perhaps she should get up and see to it instead of him

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on October 23, 2015, 12:21:24 PM
The classic 'Hes good, so no we cant ever drop him because one of his twenty free kicks that hit the roof of the stand might go in' player.

For me hes doing my head in with his antics. Never challenges with a player, always looking for the foul, moans all the time. Yes he has skill and can finish when he remembers hes a striker and decides to shoot. But should never ever be captain.
0001.jpeg

ffc73

My view in the summer was that we should have sold him and not extended his contract.

Unfortunately, so far this season I have seen nothing in his performances to have changed my mind

FulhamStu

Quote from: MJG on October 23, 2015, 12:21:24 PM

Its bloody obvious you have a downer on him Mike and that is your absolute right, however to think we would be a better team without him is mistaken in my view. The lack of challenging for the ball can be seen by both McCormack and Dembele and looks to me like something our coaches have told them to do.  Rubbish I agree.  Most other teams in our division would absolutely love to have McCormack I am sure of that. I do think he is a bit confused by what he is being asked to do.  Again Wednesday he was coming very deep at times looking for the ball.  The fact our team shape is a shambles is not down to the player but the coaches.  I would agree however that I suspect he, like many of the players, is very frustrated at the moment and that does nothing for on field performances.  Frankly, I think you are venting in the wrong direction.   By the way, I agree with pretty much everything else you have to say mate, just not on this one.

FulhamStu

Quote from: FFC73 on October 23, 2015, 01:10:54 PM
My view in the summer was that we should have sold him and not extended his contract.

Unfortunately, so far this season I have seen nothing in his performances to have changed my mind
Crazy, lets get rid of our best player. 

FulhamStu

I think we are totally buggered at the moment with some of the views being expressed.  Oh for the support Leeds get.   Yes Kit out, but this anti our best player stuff does my head in.

FulhamStu

Quote from: epsomraver on October 23, 2015, 01:10:06 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on October 23, 2015, 12:02:50 PM

I don't watch highlight packages I like a lot on here suffer watching him for 90 minutes  being mainly useless, moaning about everything ,missing sitters, poor free kicks , he should be dropped, I know his wife has just given birth so perhaps she should get up and see to it instead of him
The point about the highlights package is that he is involved in most of our best play... that all mate... I also watch the whole game and I am not saying McCormack is without fault, far from it.  My moan is people saying we would be better off without McCormack with I just can't agree with, thats all.

nose

i think ross is obviously our best player and i can also see he is flawed.
i would not have him captain because i think he plays less well when he is.

i would like to see him play more central and advanced. i think like many players of his type he wants the ball and will drop deep to get it, I would prefer he did not do that but stay pressed up on the last defender... but he is absolutely our most talented player IMO.

MJG

I don't think anyone doubts that at his best he is the most talented player in the squad.
But does that mean he's untouchable as a starter?  Are some players just above the normal rules of form?

Now I've never been completely sold on him because I would have e preferred an out and out striker instead of a bits and pieces player like he is. While good at most things it's too easy for a manager to then move him around,  instead of doing what he should do... Which is play up top on the shoulder of the centre backs,  because he can beat most players with his close control.

Now you can argue about a player out of position and his effectiveness,  but we should expect more from one of the most experienced players in the squad with regards leadership and help to the younger players.

I said on another thread his partnerships with Woodrow don't work because he does not support him. Three times in the first half on Wednesday he had a chance to pass to Dembele in an advanced position,  everytime it went behind the player. But he gets away with criticism because it's 'Best player Ross'  while if that had been the other way round certain fans would want to destroy Dembele because of it.

He is a moaner at refs,  he's trying to win fouls by diving instead of actually challenging and making an effort for the ball. All things other players get acused of... But it's Ross.... 'He will come good he's our best player'

So am I advocating dropping him tomorrow?  No.  I've put plenty of teams up in the past, but 99% of them playing as a forward,  not wide or deep but up top.

So yes Stuart I could blame the manager for tactics,  but the attitude comes from within,  and currently his stinks.

ToodlesMcToot

I don't believe Ross should be captain either. Just don't believe he's the right type. Need someone a bit combative and fiery who can get the troops worked up when the need arises and who would stick a boot up their rear if they aren't doing their bit.

O'Hara for me. I think he already would be captain if he were on anything but a 1 yr, "let's see what you can do first" contract.

Stearman is a good shout but, I'd rather have someone who's in the middle of it all, able to communicate with everyone.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Pluto

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 23, 2015, 09:08:33 PM
Yes I agree Ohara would be my first choice. I feel he has all the credentials neccessary to orchestrate a revival of the teams fortunes.

Yes he may be playing well at the moment but let's not forget this guy has had a huge reputation throughout his career as being a complete idiot and party boy. Ok maybe he's finally got his act together but it's way too early to be talking about making him captain. I wouldn't want any risk of an influence like that rubbing off on our youngsters.

hovewhite

My opinion is ,lazy manager it rubs off on players and affects decision making on the pitch!

FulhamStu

Quote from: MJG on October 23, 2015, 06:14:55 PM
I don't think anyone doubts that at his best he is the most talented player in the squad.
But does that mean he's untouchable as a starter?  Are some players just above the normal rules of form?

Now I've never been completely sold on him because I would have e preferred an out and out striker instead of a bits and pieces player like he is. While good at most things it's too easy for a manager to then move him around,  instead of doing what he should do... Which is play up top on the shoulder of the centre backs,  because he can beat most players with his close control.

Now you can argue about a player out of position and his effectiveness,  but we should expect more from one of the most experienced players in the squad with regards leadership and help to the younger players.

I said on another thread his partnerships with Woodrow don't work because he does not support him. Three times in the first half on Wednesday he had a chance to pass to Dembele in an advanced position,  everytime it went behind the player. But he gets away with criticism because it's 'Best player Ross'  while if that had been the other way round certain fans would want to destroy Dembele because of it.

He is a moaner at refs,  he's trying to win fouls by diving instead of actually challenging and making an effort for the ball. All things other players get acused of... But it's Ross.... 'He will come good he's our best player'

So am I advocating dropping him tomorrow?  No.  I've put plenty of teams up in the past, but 99% of them playing as a forward,  not wide or deep but up top.

So yes Stuart I could blame the manager for tactics,  but the attitude comes from within,  and currently his stinks.
I pretty much agree with all of this Mike.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 23, 2015, 07:04:12 PM
I am not impressed with McCormacks application, and I do believe he appears to have an attitude problem.
I also feel it was an error of judgement for Symons to give him the Captains arm band.
He should not be exempt from being dropped, or at least subbed.
Which leads me back to Symons as manager. Is he handling him properly to get the best out of him. Well he can't be going by the evidence.
There appears to be many issues Symons is incapable of handling, it appears he is weak and lethargic, you couldn't exactly call him a dynamic manager bursting with energy, and the signs of a lazy manager, not a good example.

Agreed

nose

Quote from: MJG on October 23, 2015, 06:14:55 PM
But does that mean he's untouchable as a starter?  Are some players just above the normal rules of form?

Now I've never been completely sold on him because I would have e preferred an out and out striker instead of a bits and pieces player like he is. While good at most things it's too easy for a manager to then move him around,  instead of doing what he should do... Which is play up top on the shoulder of the centre backs,  because he can beat most players with his close control.

Now you can argue about a player out of position and his effectiveness,  but we should expect more from one of the most experienced players in the squad with regards leadership and help to the younger players.

I said on another thread his partnerships with Woodrow don't work because he does not support him. Three times in the first half on Wednesday he had a chance to pass to Dembele in an advanced position,  everytime it went behind the player. But he gets away with criticism because it's 'Best player Ross'  while if that had been the other way round certain fans would want to destroy Dembele because of it.

He is a moaner at refs,  he's trying to win fouls by diving instead of actually challenging and making an effort for the ball. All things other players get acused of... But it's Ross.... 'He will come good he's our best player'

So am I advocating dropping him tomorrow?  No.  I've put plenty of teams up in the past, but 99% of them playing as a forward,  not wide or deep but up top.

So yes Stuart I could blame the manager for tactics,  but the attitude comes from within,  and currently his stinks.

i think this is a little over critical of ross's contribution. i do however agree that there can never be a case for 'untouchable' status. However based on all the other players we have , he reamins our biggest threat to the opposition and the one they watch most closely and the one that draws two defenders.

i think ross's application is there but I am not sure if he drifts out of games because he is told too take up strange positions OR he just loses concentration..

i thnk he and woodrow would be a brillianbt combination but because it has not been tried we will never know. i also think woodrow and dembele might work extremely well, i think the chemistry and youth would compliment each other, but we haven't seen that either. what we have seen is a manager that persists with a system and personnel that are not producing the necessary results.

filham

The captain question is a difficult one,there is no obvious choice. The candidates are:-

Ross---- No it is effecting his play.

O'Hara -----Seems ideal but as has been pointed out his past doesn't support the case.

Stearman-----I think he was captain at Wolves and may be a good choice if we are fully convinced that his form    will make him an automatic choice at centre back.

Tunnicliffe------A candidate for sure but too young and not really settled in the team, next season maybe.

Parker---------It looks as if he will not be commanding a regular place in the team.