watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dembele and reactionary fans

Started by EJL, October 24, 2015, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EJL

I know football is a fickle sport, whether that's fans views on what's happening on the pitch, managers' jobs or whatever. Our fanbase is the dictionary definition of that with the whole "we've got our Fulham back" movement leading to Kit's appointment. But some of the things I heard today in the Riverside Stand amazed me. A sizeable section of supporters below me started clamouring for Kit to sub off Dembele after we went 3-2 up and then took our foot off the gas. This, of course, was after he scored one, assisted another, and had generally been an absolute handful for McShane and Hector. So after misplacing a couple of flicks at a time when no one else in our team was doing anything to relieve pressure, what do I hear? "No intelligence", "absolutely useless", "bring on Woodrow". This is pretty sad, but watching Dembele score his second after that was probably the most satisfying experience I've ever had at a Fulham game.

Unless I'm mental, I've don't see enough from Woodrow to suggest he'll ever be a better player than Dembele. He's still young, talented, and has obviously been robbed of starts after scoring in previous games, but it's clear as day. Is it because he's English? Or because Woodrow's signed up for a few more years whereas Dembele will probably leave this summer to a Tottenham or Everton-tier side? Or because Woodrow 'gets stuck in' rather than Dembele's tendency to reserve energy a la Andy Cole? I don't get it.

Tonywa

Thought that was probably Moussa's best game. Won more in the air than usual, discomforted the defenders by running at them, while he and Ross are showing great signs of understanding what each other are doing and forming a real partnership. plus which he's now starting to score on a regular basis. Oh he takes a breather now and again, but m,most stickers conserve their energy from time to time in a game. Amazed if people are moaning at that.  Extraordinary in my book.

RaySmith

A striker who ran back to cover all the time, then ran back up front when an attack started, the whole game,  would be too knackered when a scoring opportunity came to take it.

Strikers are expected to do far more than just goal poach - like they did in the past, but they need to conserve their energy to some extent.

Dembele definitely seems to be improving rapidly, and fulfilling his great  potential - and doing this with Fulham. and let's hope he continues to do so for at least a bit longer.

Max Headroom

I didn't think he played that well apart from his goals, but reading these comments has made me re assess slightly. I think he could have more movement more often though. Would make him even more of a handful

stokesy

I have to admit he's not my favourite,doesn't have enough movement and only seems to play when we are playing well.That's just my opinion which is what football is all about

Finnegans Wake

The moral of this story is don`t sit in the Riverside stand. Come and sit in the Hammersmith. We actually support the team and partake in a chant or two rather than just sit and moan.

PokerMatt

Quote from: stokesy on October 24, 2015, 09:43:40 PM
I have to admit he's not my favourite,doesn't have enough movement and only seems to play when we are playing well.That's just my opinion which is what football is all about

Or do we play well because he's playing well?

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Moose is supremely talented and is the sort of striker who, when making the right runs, keeps teams on the back foot. And he's only 19.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

nose

most people know I have been critical but some comments on the MB today have amazed me.

Moose No 2 was extremely good today. he played really rather differently than in the recent games I have seen. his application was better, he won balls in the air (in particular one early on that may have encouraged him) and he attempted to hold the ball. OK he miscontrolled the odd ball and a couple of touches were a trifle casual, but nobody is perfect a. His link up play was brilliant at times and he helped make goals and scored a couple, the first a 'proper goalscorers scruffy type' goal sliding in..we need more of those from the wqhole team.

His application was good, he played more like a man than a boy, I was very happy and hope it continues... the idea anybody thought he should be taken off was quite frankly bizarre. once the team had the upper hand and were running the show the best thing was to leave well alone and than heavens Kit did!.

Sgt Fulham

It baffles me when people complain about Dembele. I remember Ipswich away last season, first game of the season people started booing Dembele because he didnt have a good game. He's 19 and already proving to be a good championship striker...imahine in 5 years!

Not like we have Messi and Suarez sitting on the bench!

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: EJL on October 24, 2015, 08:28:40 PM
I know football is a fickle sport, whether that's fans views on what's happening on the pitch, managers' jobs or whatever. Our fanbase is the dictionary definition of that with the whole "we've got our Fulham back" movement leading to Kit's appointment. But some of the things I heard today in the Riverside Stand amazed me. A sizeable section of supporters below me started clamouring for Kit to sub off Dembele after we went 3-2 up and then took our foot off the gas. This, of course, was after he scored one, assisted another, and had generally been an absolute handful for McShane and Hector. So after misplacing a couple of flicks at a time when no one else in our team was doing anything to relieve pressure, what do I hear? "No intelligence", "absolutely useless", "bring on Woodrow". This is pretty sad, but watching Dembele score his second after that was probably the most satisfying experience I've ever had at a Fulham game.

Unless I'm mental, I've don't see enough from Woodrow to suggest he'll ever be a better player than Dembele. He's still young, talented, and has obviously been robbed of starts after scoring in previous games, but it's clear as day. Is it because he's English? Or because Woodrow's signed up for a few more years whereas Dembele will probably leave this summer to a Tottenham or Everton-tier side? Or because Woodrow 'gets stuck in' rather than Dembele's tendency to reserve energy a la Andy Cole? I don't get it.

Far too many football fans are just complete chambers.  Unintelligent, grumpy, spiteful and hostile. I pays my money, I'm entitled to spiss and moan and boo my players, cos I know best types.
Nogood "yuck, isit" Boyo

BobbyTheBrain

Most British football fans are stuck in the footballing dark ages and prefer players like Woodrow because he runs around and that trumps quality. We get a 19 year old like Dembele who is nowhere near the finished article and will be inconsistent but has shown flashes of someone who has real quality and yet the flat earthers slate him? Ridiculous.
It's not fair to flair.

cmg

Baby Centre-Forwards - Just some numbers of possible interest.

The PL currently has 2 19 year old centre-forwards (there are no 20 year olds):

Iheanacho       (Man C)       played       6      1 goal      0 assist
Martial            (Man U)                       6       3             1

Championship:

Ahearne-Grant (Charlton) [18]              10      1             1
Dembele          (Fulham)  [19]              13      5             2
Woodrow         (Fulham)   [20]               6       2             0
Akpon              (Hull)       [20]              13      2             0
Clough             (Bolton)    [20]               7       1             0

PokerMatt

Quote from: cmg on October 25, 2015, 08:15:53 PM

Championship:

Great stats.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Burt

There have been whispers that he will be a January target for a premier league club... My hope is that he will stick it out with us and learn his trade through regular starts than warming a bench up somewhere else.

The bottom line is that we will be a less potent force without him.

Berserker

If we do get that transfer embargo does that been Mousa can't leave
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MJG

Quote from: Berserker on October 26, 2015, 07:17:25 AM
If we do get that transfer embargo does that been Mousa can't leave
No

Holders

Quote from: cmg on October 25, 2015, 08:15:53 PM

Championship:

QED
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MJG

I think Dembele and how is has come on is a lesson in two things.

Having patience with youngsters (13 league games before this season without a goal) and also how a player improves by having a run of games.

Hes now played 26 games for Fulham at league level. The same number that Frei had played when he left us. You know the lad who was a one trick pony so much he just happens to play in the Cl but many had given up on.
Grimmer 13 lge games
Woodrow 37 lge games
Kavanagh 17 lge games
LVC 45 Lge games
Williams 14 lge games

All these guys are still early in there careers and need time to learn the game at a first team level.

cmg

Quote from: MJG on October 26, 2015, 07:55:55 AM
I think Dembele and how is has come on is a lesson in two things.

Having patience with youngsters (13 league games before this season without a goal) and also how a player improves by having a run of games.

Hes now played 26 games for Fulham at league level. The same number that Frei had played when he left us. You know the lad who was a one trick pony so much he just happens to play in the Cl but many had given up on.
Grimmer 13 lge games
Woodrow 37 lge games
Kavanagh 17 lge games
LVC 45 Lge games
Williams 14 lge games

All these guys are still early in there careers and need time to learn the game at a first team level.

Very wise words. We are often guilty of expecting 'too much, much too young' of our emerging talent. You might get the occasional Rooney who bursts fully formed onto the scene but it usually not only takes time, but is rarely a smooth progression.
Dembele has made considerable progress this season. MJG will be among those who remember how Dembele, two years ago, looked like a young giant with considerable skills but who also, from time to time, looked like he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing on the pitch. It takes time and, let it be whispered, good coaching to develop the kind of skills and know-how needed to play up front at this level.

Frei remains an interesting subject. I'd guess I wasn't as dismayed as MJG at his leaving (I thought that Kaca was a better bet - at best the jury's still out on that one!) but he gained international recognition early and I have been interested in his progress at Besiktas. At present they are top of the league. Frei hasn't made a start but has scored twice in six outings. The fact that he has totalled only 28 minutes on the pitch probably makes him statistically one of the most prolific goalscorer in Europe! He hasn't featured in any Turkish (full, u23 or u21) squads this year but there is still time for him. I think Besiktas play this afternoon, be interesting to see if he gets any time.

Slaphead in Qatar

at the end of the last transfer window - most people were saying good window but we could have done with another striker. dembele has really stepped up to the plate this season - i don't think we need another striker now.