watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Players that clap the fans at full time

Started by dannyboi-ffc, October 26, 2015, 12:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

There are not many who take the time at the final whistle to go around the whole ground and clap the fans. It's great to see when it happens and it always puts a player in my good books despite their possible lack of ability or a poor performance.

You always get the same ones that do it religiously.  At the moment Husband is the best, he is always the last player off the pitch and another reason  why I love him so much. Now maybe I'm a dreamer, but would he really make that much effort if he wasn't really happy here? I know Boro don't want to sell but if Husband wants the move bad enough then anything is possible regardless of what Boro want.

As well as Husband there's Stearman, Ream, Tunnicliffe and Lonergan. Maybe there's one or two others but those are the regulars. Dembele does most of the time.

Before that Hangeland always clapped the fans, Stockdale. Senderos always achknowledged the fans despite being treated awfully sometimes.Sidwell, Pantsil with his lap of honour lol, Schwarzer too.

Before that McBride would always clap the fans.

Before that Legwinski never failed to acknowledge us. I've been going since 94/95 but can't remember little details like this from the early days. It seems these things are what you pick up on as you get older.

Anyway, I would love to know who these players were from the 50s onwards. It's just nice to know. And if anyone can think of players in the eras I mentioned then I'm happy to be told I missed them out.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

@jolslover

Althought I loved him (Alot) Ruiz was one of the worst at this, Dont think he ever clapped the fans in his time at Fulham
STH H3

Andy S

It really does not worry me whether they stay and clap or not. A bit like clapping the opposing goal keeper then booing him if he doesn't clap back. It has nothing to do with the game whatsoever

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Andy S on October 26, 2015, 12:49:30 AM
It really does not worry me whether they stay and clap or not. A bit like clapping the opposing goal keeper then booing him if he doesn't clap back. It has nothing to do with the game whatsoever

It's just common courtesy. Fair enough we don't pay their wages anymore but for turning up sometimes in the freezing cold despite a run of awful displays. It's nice for the players to return the appreciation.

At the end of the day the fans are what make a football club. And if players can't acknowledge us and only care about their money it's disappointing.

I'm not particularly bothered when players don't clap the fans but it certainly makes me have more respect and time for those that do.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Blanco

I appreciate it when the players acknowledge the fans and clap at the end. It's more than just showing an appreciation but establishing a relationship. Even if it's just clapping.

HatterDon

Sometimes it's hard to applaud fans who have been booing your every misstep for 90 minutes.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: HatterDon on October 26, 2015, 01:59:21 AM
Sometimes it's hard to applaud fans who have been booing your every misstep for 90 minutes.

Well Senderos never failed so that just shows you what a great guy he was. And the fans don't boo every mistake. We get frustrated just like every other set of fans. But if you think the crowd at the games are as quick to moan at the players as the message boards are then you are wrong.

Like has been said to you before. It's easy to criticise when you live so far away. If you were there paying to witness it then I'm sure you would get frustrated too. That's not a pop at you for not going, you live in America for goodness sake. But if you claim you wouldn't react the way the majority do then fair enough.  But we can't all be that perfect.

Also I didn't criticise those that don't clap, I just praised those that do and asked if anyone could remember another player who bonded with the fans. Like Blanco said, it's a bond.  Look at Pantsil and his connection to the crowd, we loved John.

I tried to answer your question about comebacks, any suggestions for my question?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Brawn

Dan Burn always does this whenever he plays. Proper Fulham man, it seems. He would be jumping up and down when we scored when he was on the bench.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Brawn on October 26, 2015, 02:31:22 AM
Dan Burn always does this whenever he plays. Proper Fulham man, it seems. He would be jumping up and down when we scored when he was on the bench.

Great shout Brawn! Missed that one. Burn always claps and always seems delighted when we do well regardless of whether he is playing. In many ways I can see him as a captain. He seems.very happy and popular here

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

mikestrand

Quote from: @jolslover on October 26, 2015, 12:26:26 AM
Althought I loved him (Alot) Ruiz was one of the worst at this, Dont think he ever clapped the fans in his time at Fulham
I do recall him once or twice albeit limply
probably the gloves getting in the way.

HatterDon

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 26, 2015, 02:16:45 AM

Well Senderos never failed so that just shows you what a great guy he was. And the fans don't boo every mistake. We get frustrated just like every other set of fans. But if you think the crowd at the games are as quick to moan at the players as the message boards are then you are wrong.

Like has been said to you before. It's easy to criticise when you live so far away. If you were there paying to witness it then I'm sure you would get frustrated too. That's not a pop at you for not going, you live in America for goodness sake. But if you claim you wouldn't react the way the majority do then fair enough.  But we can't all be that perfect.

Also I didn't criticise those that don't clap, I just praised those that do and asked if anyone could remember another player who bonded with the fans. Like Blanco said, it's a bond.  Look at Pantsil and his connection to the crowd, we loved John.

I tried to answer your question about comebacks, any suggestions for my question?

Sure. I don't know how many of you would -- as a pensioner -- save up for 9 months to fly over for one match, or get up at 0600 to listen to Gentleman Jim on Internet radio because it's the only link you have with the team you love. You must realize, however, for those of us who do, how irritating it is to listen to a cup tie where the ONLY sound heard from Fulham fans are moans when our players made a mistake and boo at the final whistle. This and the fact that it was the only sound because the home support was so small in the first place. Yes, we live over the ocean and don't go to games every week, but we also DON'T say, "Oh what the hell, it's a Tuesday evening and it's raining. I'll stay home." -- or -- "I pay for my ticket. I have the right to scream vitriol at the players wearing Fulham kit for 90 minutes."

Here's an insight you might not have thought of. Even though I don't live in England, and even though I'm not English, I know a lot about football, and I've watched it and played it/coached it/refereed it in several countries. And of all the clubs in all the world, I've pledged my allegiance to a small club with a checkered history -- Fulham Football Club. Now I have opinions, and often those opinions are NOT those of you and your coterie of friends. I don't mind having those opinions challenged and criticized, but I do find it a bit irritating to have my "minority opinions" criticized because I don't have enough money -- or enough health for that mater -- to fly over for every match, especially, when the local London-based home support for many of those matches is just enough to fill somewhat less than half of Craven Cottage's home capacity.

You seem to have a problem with me, which is fine [you're nowhere near the first, the nastiest, nor the most creative], but until such time as I violate a procedural rule on this site, perhaps you can find it in your heart just to skip over what I type and move on to commenting on opinions and insights that are more in line with what you think is a proper way to support and discuss Fulham.

How's that for suggestions?

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RaySmith

I have never booed or had a go at players, in fact, I usually clap them off of the pitch whatever the result or how they've played. Well, I always assume that they have done their best

I'm not a regular attender now, because of cost, and distance, but I have been in the past - from the top division down to the bottom, and have certainly witnessed some dire  displays, but still no booing from me, and clapping the players at the end.

I still go to away games though, and saw us thrashed quite a few times in the Prem at places like Anfield, and  only witnessed a couple of wins, but I've always had the same attitude. (It's  great, now, to  go to away games and often see us win!)

However, I'm aware that many/most fans are not like me, and would laugh at me -but that's just how I am.

At away games it's great if the players come over and clap you - Hangeland was always very good, and Schwarz, Sidwell, Stockdale, and Burn nowadays, stick in my mind.

I'm always disappointed when the players don't come over at an away game - but if they have played badly and lost, they seem  much less likely to than when they've won - presumably ashamed and expecting abuse, and I suppose, after a poor performance you just want to get off the pitch- and most of the fans don't wait around either.......so the players don't come over because they're embarrassed, expecting abuse, and their aren't many fans left anyway, is one explanation - rather than the typical modern fan's thoughts, expressed on phone-ins and on forums - that 'the players don't give a ****, which is why they lost in the first place. '

Not saying these fans are wrong, maybe I'm wrong, but it is depressing to an old'un like me - the constant abuse of players and calls of sack the  manager after a couple of bad the results, and the media loves it of course.

But players should clap the fans after a game - and fans shouldn't boo their own team.

Twig

I always appreciated John Pantsil for his lap applauding the fans after every match.  It created a real bond with the player, I could forgive the odd mistake with someone who obviously cared so much.

MJG

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 26, 2015, 02:41:53 AM
Quote from: Brawn on October 26, 2015, 02:31:22 AM

Great shout Brawn! Missed that one. Burn always claps and always seems delighted when we do well regardless of whether he is playing. In many ways I can see him as a captain. He seems.very happy and popular here
Burn is the most animated player/sub on the bench. Because his size you can always see him in the dugout urging the players on and cheering when we score. You would think every player would clap when we play but thats just not true.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: HatterDon on October 26, 2015, 03:33:49 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 26, 2015, 02:16:45 AM

Sure. I don't know how many of you would -- as a pensioner -- save up for 9 months to fly over for one match, or get up at 0600 to listen to Gentleman Jim on Internet radio because it's the only link you have with the team you love. You must realize, however, for those of us who do, how irritating it is to listen to a cup tie where the ONLY sound heard from Fulham fans are moans when our players made a mistake and boo at the final whistle. This and the fact that it was the only sound because the home support was so small in the first place. Yes, we live over the ocean and don't go to games every week, but we also DON'T say, "Oh what the hell, it's a Tuesday evening and it's raining. I'll stay home." -- or -- "I pay for my ticket. I have the right to scream vitriol at the players wearing Fulham kit for 90 minutes."

Here's an insight you might not have thought of. Even though I don't live in England, and even though I'm not English, I know a lot about football, and I've watched it and played it/coached it/refereed it in several countries. And of all the clubs in all the world, I've pledged my allegiance to a small club with a checkered history -- Fulham Football Club. Now I have opinions, and often those opinions are NOT those of you and your coterie of friends. I don't mind having those opinions challenged and criticized, but I do find it a bit irritating to have my "minority opinions" criticized because I don't have enough money -- or enough health for that mater -- to fly over for every match, especially, when the local London-based home support for many of those matches is just enough to fill somewhat less than half of Craven Cottage's home capacity.

You seem to have a problem with me, which is fine [you're nowhere near the first, the nastiest, nor the most creative], but until such time as I violate a procedural rule on this site, perhaps you can find it in your heart just to skip over what I type and move on to commenting on opinions and insights that are more in line with what you think is a proper way to support and discuss Fulham.

How's that for suggestions?

You what? You've got to be kidding me right? No way am I falling for that puppy eyed nonsense. If you're of bad health then I hope you get better very soon. I also didn't criticise you for not going to games and actually mentioned the fact that you live an impossible distance away to go to any games.

I'm also not having it that this problem you believe I have with you has not been built up over time through no fault of your own. Did I just wake up one day and decide let's pick on HD? No sir, I've never done that with anyone or anything in my life. Do I find it frustrating when I just gave a positive thread praising players who clap the fans and asked if others could remember past players who were equally as appreciative of our support. Not once did I mention or criticise those players that don't, Ian Pearce used to sprint off the pitch every single game as if he was late for something or busting for the toilet. I used to find it funny. So there was no need to tell me why players don't clap, that's not what I asked.

But instead of trying to genuinely answer my question you've used it as an opportunity to tell us our support isn't good enough.  The same HD who repeatedly praises the support saying we could hear you singing etc. So which is it? Are we good supporters or bad supporters? Or does it depend on who the individual is you're replying  to and how much you want to irritate them?

Also don't play the health card or money card as if I'm a bully. I didn't even criticise the fact you don't go if you read my words again, so like I said I hope you get better very soon but I don't feel guilty because there's nothing to feel guilty for.  My Grandad didn't go for 10 years despite living in London as he was housebound and eventually died because of the lack of exercise. He literally stayed in bed all day or sat in a chair as he couldn't walk. So never would I question someone's support for not being able to go because I understand. And it's always glass half empty when it suits you. Instead of saying the ground is half empty on cold nights why not say well done to those like myself who will be there no matter what it takes? Look around at all clubs in the championship. How many manage to sell out every week? I doubt there are any.

Finally I will explain what I meant by its easy to criticise when you don't pay and go. Not all Fulham fans are rich, people like myself have to work a lot of extra hours to be able to afford it. I don't want a medal for it as others have been doing this for 65 years but after sacrificing so much, I never go to the pub or spend money on myself. I will have 4 kids in January and I'm going to do everything in my power to get them all season tickets when they are older. If I can't then worst ways they will have to share a couple but I would buy my clothes from a charity shop if it meant my kids didnt go without and I get to carry on the fulham tradition. So regardless of where someone lives every individual has a different circumstance. We have very rich supporters who live abroad and can come over for every game. We have supporters who live opposite the ground and can't afford the ticket. So when those that struggle still manage to find a way it's frustrating witnessing so many poor games. Maybe you wouldn't boo or get impatient, every individual is different but after penny pinching all year to save up and be able to go to watch a bunch of entertainers earning a fortune look clueless and boring so often.  It's nice that they still recognise the sacrifice and effort many fans make just to be there.  For example, it's not America but I know 3 fans who travelled from leeds for every home game. One of them is now my brother in law. Do you not think they are entitled to be frustrated if they travel all that way every single game and the players play like they did against Wolves?  One of those 3 now gets the coach to most games.  Whether you live in England or Japan that is a bloody big sacrifice to make for a football club and I don't think it's right you're criticising. That's easy for you to say is the point I was making.

I just don't get why I bothered to be enthusiastic on your thread about comebacks. Trust me, if I had that much of an issue the last thing I would do would be to seem fine in a thread you created. I would just ignore you. And the fact we have had history in the past but that is what it is, in the past I was irritated that you couldn't or didn't want to answer my question and do the same. Instead you have a dig at the supporters.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Wimbledon_White

Anyone ever notice that Brede Hangeland has a really weird, backwards clap?!

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: RaySmith on October 26, 2015, 04:08:51 AM
I have never booed or had a go at players, in fact, I usually clap them off of the pitch whatever the result or how they've played. Well, I always assume that they have done their best

I'm not a regular attender now, because of cost, and distance, but I have been in the past - from the top division down to the bottom, and have certainly witnessed some dire  displays, but still no booing from me, and clapping the players at the end.

I still go to away games though, and saw us thrashed quite a few times in the Prem at places like Anfield, and  only witnessed a couple of wins, but I've always had the same attitude. (It's  great, now, to  go to away games and often see us win!)

However, I'm aware that many/most fans are not like me, and would laugh at me -but that's just how I am.

At away games it's great if the players come over and clap you - Hangeland was always very good, and Schwarz, Sidwell, Stockdale, and Burn nowadays, stick in my mind.

I'm always disappointed when the players don't come over at an away game - but if they have played badly and lost, they seem  much less likely to than when they've won - presumably ashamed and expecting abuse, and I suppose, after a poor performance you just want to get off the pitch- and most of the fans don't wait around either.......so the players don't come over because they're embarrassed, expecting abuse, and their aren't many fans left anyway, is one explanation - rather than the typical modern fan's thoughts, expressed on phone-ins and on forums - that 'the players don't give a ****, which is why they lost in the first place. '

Not saying these fans are wrong, maybe I'm wrong, but it is depressing to an old'un like me - the constant abuse of players and calls of sack the  manager after a couple of bad the results, and the media loves it of course.

But players should clap the fans after a game - and fans shouldn't boo their own team.

Great post Ray. Sadly football has changed and the media don't help. Tolerance levels are far smaller now and after seeing us in the prem for so long I suppose some fans have their heart set on returning there.

The thread isn't actually about those that don't clap. What you say makes sense. Most fans are gone by full time if we lose badly and the players are obviously embarrassed. But they should still clap those that stayed until the end and some of them do no matter how bad the performance.  The purpose of the thread was to learn more about players before my time that were like Hangeland and Burn. Was Haynes like that or Cohen? Who were the clappers at the final whistle and who couldn't wait to get off the pitch?

But great post as always. If you're going Bristol it would be great to meet you.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Fulham76

Quote from: @jolslover on October 26, 2015, 12:26:26 AM

That would require some physical effort, something Ruiz struggled with!

Burt

I generally think it's a good thing to do, it acknowledges either the support given or apologizes for a poor performance, and creates more of a bond, the most obvious example in recent years being Johnny Paintsil.

Arthur

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 26, 2015, 12:21:02 AM
Anyway, I would love to know who these players were from the 50s onwards. It's just nice to know. And if anyone can think of players in the eras I mentioned then I'm happy to be told I missed them out.

Your original question seems to have been overlooked thus far, so I'll try to set the ball rolling.

To be honest, I don't remember there being an expectation among supporters in the 60s and 70s that players would applaud them at the end of a game on a routine basis. Typically, at the final whistle, the two teams would acknowledge each other and then head towards the Cottage.

One of the first players whom I recall visibly demonstrating his gratitude towards the fans was Gary Peters. He was a right-back whom, if my memory serves me correctly, we signed from Shrewsbury Town in the late-seventies. I believe he was actually a Fulham supporter, having grown up in the locality. Maybe it was because Peters was not as good as John Cutbush or Ray Evans (our two stalwart right-backs of the preceding six-or-seven seasons), that he received a fair amount of stick from the home faithful. In spite of this, he would still show his appreciation of the supporters at the end of a game.

Among the regular band of away travellers, he was far more popular; his whole-hearted commitment and the time he spared to chat to waiting fans on his way from the coach to the dressing room earned him a good deal of respect.

I don't think he stayed long - he certainly wasn't a part of Malcolm MacDonald's side that won promotion from the third tier in 1982 - but where he went subsequently, I do not know.