watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR-Unusual beers.

Started by Russian rob, October 26, 2015, 10:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Ok Don. We'll all meet in Salt Lake for Logicalman's road trip and refresh your memory. He can drive and we all can fly home from Denver.  :beer:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

love4ffc

Quote from: Logicalman on October 27, 2015, 03:31:51 PM
Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on October 27, 2015, 06:39:43 AM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 27, 2015, 03:19:02 AM
I've been seen taking a Fat Tire Belgian style beer with an orange wedge in the glass before. Guilty, your honor.  Please don't take my Man card away from me.  What can I say?  It was good.   And by closing time, the beer all tastes better and the women are better looking.  Reminds me of that bit about the 10 stages of drinking.  Stage 10: Bulletproof. 

I think you may be confusing Fat Tire, which is an amber (made by New Belgium Brewing in the city I live in) with Blue Moon, which is made in Denver and is a Belgian white typically served with an orange.

Regardless, I'll take anyone traveling to Colorado (the Napa Valley of beers) on one of the greatest brewery tours of their live's  082.gif  :beer:

R O A D   T R I P
Always up for a Road trip
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

HatterDon

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 27, 2015, 11:50:51 PM
Ok Don. We'll all meet in Salt Lake for Logicalman's road trip and refresh your memory. He can drive and we all can fly home from Denver.  :beer:

done and done. Only beer could get me to Utah.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CincyFulham

I have a friend who brews his own beer, but not in some kit he got at the mall, but a serious home brewery.  His father was a Master Brewer in Germany before moving to the states and he regular travels with his father to buy hops in various places.  He always has several on tap and others in the brewing process, so you never know what maybe offered.  The best hands down is a pumpkin beer he brews for Halloween, but he makes a good IPA and a nice Munich style dunkle.  

Holders

Quote from: CincyFulham on October 28, 2015, 07:08:20 AM
I have a friend who brews his own beer, but not in some kit he got at the mall, but a serious home brewery.  His father was a Master Brewer in Germany before moving to the states and he regular travels with his father to buy hops in various places.  He always has several on tap and others in the brewing process, so you never know what maybe offered.  The best hands down is a pumpkin beer he brews for Halloween, but he makes a good IPA and a nice Munich style dunkle. 

Munich-style Dunkel sounds good.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

sipwell

Quote from: HatterDon on October 26, 2015, 03:30:20 PM

What I HATE over here is the Belgian-influenced fruit flavored or fruit decorated beers. I mean, I like oranges, lemons, raspberries, blueberries, etc. quite a lot -- but not either brewed into or floating on my beer. To me, they're all poor copies of the traditional Berliner Weisse which tasted like mildly alcoholic syrup.

Tsk. You have decent fruit beers (with cherries for instance). What I truly despise though is the new "Radler" trend. Every Belgian brewery has one. Basically it is lemonade with some hop. It is horrible.

As for your bizarre beers, chocolate beer seems to be good. Never had it though but those who had, like it.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Equalizer

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 27, 2015, 11:50:51 PM

Salt Lake is a nice city, little on the smoggy side, flat as a pancake, but great stadium. If you go there, you have to drive out on 190 East, to Park City. The views are stunning, so is the drive if you go off the edge. Solitude is a beautiful little place there, I believe they built that up for the Olympics in 2002 with the new ski lifts. The LDS Temple is something of beauty to see.

Just a quick 8 hour drive from there to Denver, or 1.5 hours for you lot by air!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: sipwell on October 28, 2015, 11:03:32 AM

What I HATE over here is the Belgian-influenced fruit flavored or fruit decorated beers. I mean, I like oranges, lemons, raspberries, blueberries, etc. quite a lot -- but not either brewed into or floating on my beer. To me, they're all poor copies of the traditional Berliner Weisse which tasted like mildly alcoholic syrup.

Tsk. You have decent fruit beers (with cherries for instance). What I truly despise though is the new "Radler" trend. Every Belgian brewery has one. Basically it is lemonade with some hop. It is horrible.

As for your bizarre beers, chocolate beer seems to be good. Never had it though but those who had, like it.

You should try the Young's Double Chocolate Stout then. Interesting taste, a bit like chocolate/coffee milk with alcohol added (5.2%)!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Holders

Quote from: sipwell on October 28, 2015, 11:03:32 AM

Radler is just the German for shandy which they (Germans/Austrians) used to mix from draught in the usual way rather than it being ready-bottled. I suppose the brewers market it elsewhere under that name just to make it sound trendy.

Bracken White

Interesting thread. There are so many styles/flavours these days we are spoilt for choice. From many of the independent UK brewers there are a plethora of superb ales. To pick one - have a peep at Ray Welton's site & see what he has lined up for Christmas. Ales with cloves, nutmeg - Dark/Light - Old ales, Porter/Stout - everything you could wish for ... & more! www.weltonsbeer.co.uk - Xmas Beers!

Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Holders

Quote from: Bracken White on October 28, 2015, 01:07:57 PM
Interesting thread. There are so many styles/flavours these days we are spoilt for choice. From many of the independent UK brewers there are a plethora of superb ales. To pick one - have a peep at Ray Welton's site & see what he has lined up for Christmas. Ales with cloves, nutmeg - Dark/Light - Old ales, Porter/Stout - everything you could wish for ... & more! www.weltonsbeer.co.uk - Xmas Beers!

I note with interest the King & Barnes reference. I was just thinking that K&B used to do wonderful winter ales. I presume the Surrey Oaks mentioned is the one at Newdigate, an unusual pub in that they sell (at least when I was last there) proper cider. Must look out for Weltons when I'm next up country.

Burt

Dogbolter was unusual only for the childishly interesting impact it had on the colour of ones doo-doos (cue childish snigger).

Holders

Quote from: Burt on October 28, 2015, 01:20:24 PM
Dogbolter was unusual only for the childishly interesting impact it had on the colour of ones doo-doos (cue childish snigger).

Did you ever try Cripplecock then?

Burt

Quote from: Holders on October 28, 2015, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: Burt on October 28, 2015, 01:20:24 PM

Did you ever try Cripplecock then?

Ah... That explains a lot  :022:

Bracken White

Surrey Oaks has a new Landlord after old Ken retired - and the place is bubbling! After K&B was taken over by Badger (Hall & Woodhouse) & the Brewery closed - one of Ray Welton's first beers was 'Kid & Bard' but I imagine too near the mark! Surrey Oaks has 3 or 4 real ciders on as well as an array of good ales - as does the fine Willoughby Arms in Kingston!
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Holders

Quote from: Bracken White on October 28, 2015, 05:18:00 PM
Surrey Oaks has a new Landlord after old Ken retired - and the place is bubbling! After K&B was taken over by Badger (Hall & Woodhouse) & the Brewery closed - one of Ray Welton's first beers was 'Kid & Bard' but I imagine too near the mark! Surrey Oaks has 3 or 4 real ciders on as well as an array of good ales - as does the fine Willoughby Arms in Kingston!

I've followed John King with interest and think he's tried to emulate some of the originals but I havn't found a satisfactory replacement for the Old, Broadwood and Mild.

I won't drink Hall and Woodlouse after what they did to K&B. Badger is concentrated hangover in a glass anyway and to continue to sell "Sussex" is an insult.  Shortly after the takeover I found myself in a pub talking to Neame Jr. of Shepherd Neame. He said that H&W only wanted K&B for the estate of pubs (surely the best in the country) and to build on the site in Horsham whereas SN would have kept the brewery and, one would have hoped, the ales.  I still mourn.

Logicalman

I recall a beer I used to quaff down when in the wilds or Dorset, at a place called The Vixen I believe, they served a great pint of Tanglefoot from the local brewery.

Ged

Quote from: Logicalman on October 29, 2015, 11:26:09 AM

I recall a beer I used to quaff down when in the wilds or Dorset, at a place called The Vixen I believe, they served a great pint of Tanglefoot from the local brewery.
Tanglefoot is a Hall and Woodhouse Beer from the Badger Brewery

Holders

Quote from: Ged on October 29, 2015, 12:06:05 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on October 29, 2015, 11:26:09 AM

Tanglefoot is a Hall and Woodhouse Beer from the Badger Brewery

When in Dorset try Ringwood and Palmers.