watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For a potential future post - Unsung Fulham heroes

Started by FPT, October 30, 2015, 01:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

I thought I'd take a look back through the unsung heroes of Fulham's past in a future post. Why they were loved, what they contributed to and so forth.

First player that came to my mind would be a Simon Davies, loved at Fulham but likely unknown or unrecognised elsewhere. Others past and present would be welcome. A full 11 of positions might not be a good idea, if we could eventually get an "Unsung Fulham Heroes XI" together than I think that would make for a good post.

Go on FoF!

St Eve

Stan Brown, Fred Callaghan, Aaron Hughes, Simon Morgan come to mind

dannyboi-ffc

I'm only 27 but ill take a punt on a few older players just to have a bit of variety to my team.

Maik Taylor

Stalteri     Hughes    Brown      Langley

Leggatt     Tosh       Etuhu       Goldbaek

Rooke    Nevland

Maik Taylor- easy to forget how sensational he was after being spoiled with VDS and Schwarzer but Taylor was top notch and was named in the team of the year in both promotion seasons.

Langley- left back from the 60's who many regard as the greatest left back in our history. Yet how many younger fans know who he is?

Roger Brown- I may be wrong but when Roger passed away a few years ago I don't think the club even did a minutes silence for him. I think it clashed with something massive, might have been the death of Haynes but never the less Brown scored the winning goal to seal promotion. We don't get promoted often so a special moment.

Hughes- always did and always will live in Hangeland's shadow. IMO that's how it should be too as Brede was out of this world but that shouldn't mean we forget what Hughes did for us.

Stalteri- wasn't here long but was a regular in his temporary loan from Spurs. Anyone who was part of the great escape deserves remembering but he is often overlooked and was only part of the half season that saved us, not the half that messed it up.

Leggatt- how many people had heard of him before he died recently? And judging from the pathetic tribute the club did for him it's a wonder if they even realised he is arguably the 3rd greatest player to ever play for Fulham.

Tosh Chamberlain- decent player based on what I've heard but more importantly responsible for the signing of his best friend Johnny Haynes. For that alone we owe a debt to Tosh.

Etuhu- I wasn't a fan then and I'm not really now but he played his role very well and was overshadowed by Murphy. But we needed an Etuhu type on that Europa run and the donkey tag given by many is probably a bit unfair. I'm as guilty as anyone of that.

Goldbaek- I'm cheating here by playing Bjarne on the left but for the purpose of this exercise it doesn't matter. He was a regular in the Tigana promotion but probably the last name you'd think of when remembering that team.

Ronnie Rooke- the greatest striker and most prolific in our history but because he played in the 40s once again he is easily forgotten. Again would be in the top 5 greatest players our club has had.

Nevland- it's simple really. It's a fact that without his 2 injury time goals vs reading and Birmingham we would've been relegated on GD. Sure many things happened to save us but without those two goals Murphy's header, the city comeback, it is all irrelevant.  That alone deserves a mention.

I could change the whole eleven tomorrow but this is the one that sprung to mind.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

simplyfulham

MJG

Andy Thomas 4 games 2 goals on loan from Oxford. If we had signed him we would have been in Divison One in 1983

Ray Lewington, Player, Manager, Coach, Roys Right Hand man.  Was there in the dark and the good days But I dont think he really gets the respect he deserves due to his mixed managerial record of us.

Holders

Quote from: MJG on October 30, 2015, 07:52:13 AM
Andy Thomas 4 games 2 goals on loan from Oxford. If we had signed him we would have been in Divison One in 1983

Ray Lewington, Player, Manager, Coach, Roys Right Hand man.  Was there in the dark and the good days But I dont think he really gets the respect he deserves due to his mixed managerial record of us.

I totally agree on both counts.

Most of the other players named above were recognised in their day and not really unsung in my view.

I might mention Danny Cullip, though.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: simplyfulham on October 30, 2015, 06:53:10 AM
Martin Djetou!

Class act.

Yes! He was one of my favourite players. Never understood why we didn't sign him after a 2 year loan.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: MJG on October 30, 2015, 07:52:13 AM

Lewington is a great shout

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

bog

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 30, 2015, 03:23:32 AM
I'm only 27 but ill take a punt on a few older players just to have a bit of variety to my team.

Maik Taylor

Stalteri     Hughes    Brown      Langley

Leggatt     Tosh       Etuhu       Goldbaek

Rooke    Nevland

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a bit confused ?
Are we talking about unsung players outside our club or  players who are not remembered or celebrated  today? Or what?

Are these players really given little or no recognition ?

Taylor was a class act as a keeper and unlucky to lose out to EVS, a possible unsung Keeper but no more than Gerry Peyton.
Stalteri was a decent player but not around long enough to be "unsung"
Hughes was widely admired. unsung? No.
Roger Brown was awesome and was a big player for us. More Legend than unsung!
Langley was highly rated and played for England.

Goldbaek, granted was an integral part of the team and underrated. Probable unsung.
Etuhu, same as above although in a more basic way.

Tosh is a legend and therefore not underrated or unsung.
Rook was a goal machine and went on to win medals at Arsenal and b[/b][/size]e there top goalscorer. Not unsung.
LEGGAT ! Unsung? your having a laugh!  
Nevland scored some important goals for us but I'm struggling to call him "unsung"

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on October 30, 2015, 09:40:00 AM

Maik Taylor

Stalteri     Hughes    Brown      Langley

Leggatt     Tosh       Etuhu       Goldbaek

Rooke    Nevland

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a bit confused ?
Are we talking about unsung players outside our club or  players who are not remembered or celebrated  today? Or what?

[b]Taylor was a class act as a keeper and unlucky to lose out to EVS, a possible unsung Keeper but no more than Gerry Peyton.

Goldbaek, granted was an integral part of the team and underrated. Probable unsung.

Rook was a goal machine and went on to win medals at Arsenal and b[/b]
e there top goalscorer. Not unsung.
Nevland scored some important goals for us but I'm struggling to call him "unsung"

0k then that's from the point of view of someone old enough to know the players, I'm assuming that is. Ask a 15 year old about Johnny Haynes and Cohen and they will no doubt be able to tell you loads about them and what legends they are. Ask them who Leggatt is, Langley, Rooke or Tosh and they will 9 times out of 10 go "who?" Yet these were some of the greatest players we ever had.

Therefore imo they are unsung today rather than in the moment they played for us.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Southcoastffc

Thing is, heroes seem to change week to week (or at least month to month).  Chris Baird for example was pilloried early on but was really good for us.  Is he an unsung hero?

One who had far too brief a time here was Jerome Bonnissel.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MJG

Doug Rougvie (Or 'Doug the Thug' to give him his real name)

Only played about 18 games for us but was a leader and helped us get to the play offs that season

dannyboi-ffc

I'm a bit confused what an unsung hero is? Players from years ago may be remembered fondly and in high regard by the generation that saw them but in terms of how they are remembered today many are forgotten about or not spoken about. And I'm not talking run of the mill, I mean great players in our history. Are they unsung or do they not count because they were very popular at the time?

Also someone like Hughes for example.  Very much loved by all fans and no one has a bad word to say but he doesn't get the credit Brede does. Is that unsung?

It seems such a vague word. A great idea for a post but very tricky putting my finger on what's unsung

By the way Bonnisel was a superb player and definitely had his career cut early with us

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

MJG

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 30, 2015, 10:35:00 AM
I'm a bit confused what an unsung hero is? Players from years ago may be remembered fondly and in high regard by the generation that saw them but in terms of how they are remembered today many are forgotten about or not spoken about. And I'm not talking run of the mill, I mean great players in our history. Are they unsung or do they not count because they were very popular at the time?

Also someone like Hughes for example.  Very much loved by all fans and no one has a bad word to say but he doesn't get the credit Brede does. Is that unsung?

It seems such a vague word. A great idea for a post but very tricky putting my finger on what's unsung

By the way Bonnisel was a superb player and definitely had his career cut early with us
I dont think Hughes is unsung hero, we all saw what he offered. maybe its more a case of we miss them when they are gone and didn't realise how good they really were?

Konchesky comes to mind from Roy's team.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 30, 2015, 09:52:57 AM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on October 30, 2015, 09:40:00 AM

Maik Taylor

Stalteri     Hughes    Brown      Langley

Leggatt     Tosh       Etuhu       Goldbaek

Rooke    Nevland

I'm a bit confused ?
Are we talking about unsung players outside our club or  players who are not remembered or celebrated  today? Or what?

[b]Taylor was a class act as a keeper and unlucky to lose out to EVS, a possible unsung Keeper but no more than Gerry Peyton.

Rook was a goal machine and went on to win medals at Arsenal and b[/b]
e there top goalscorer. Not unsung.

0k then that's from the point of view of someone old enough to know the players, I'm assuming that is. Ask a 15 year old about Johnny Haynes and Cohen and they will no doubt be able to tell you loads about them and what legends they are. Ask them who Leggatt is, Langley, Rooke or Tosh and they will 9 times out of 10 go "who?" Yet these were some of the greatest players we ever had.

Therefore imo they are unsung today rather than in the moment they played for us.

Good point!
Unsung in the day or unsung today? 

bill taylors apprentice

He's a few from the early 60's time until recent times not already mentioned (I think)

Brian Nichols

Jimmy Dunne

Alan Slough

John Evanson

John Margerrison

Robert Wilson

Richard Money ( who did go on to bigger things)

dgnffc

I'd like to add Reg Matthewson and Brian Williamson - the only half-decent players in an otherwise rubbish defence.

thebumponleroyshead

Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

dannyboi-ffc

Would Diomansy Kamara count? Regarded by many as a shocking signing because of the transfer fee, yet in some ways his goals at Man City alone surely make up for that. He also won the free kicks for Bullard's winner vs Villa and Murphys header.

Also scored the goal that sealed 7th position and a European place away to Newcastle. And the equaliser in Sofia which we would've gone out without. In many ways he was disappointing but does he get the credit for 3 or 4 vital goals in our history?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]