watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (31/10/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 30, 2015, 09:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's Moussa Dembele is developing into one of the country's most coveted young stars

Bright future: Dembele has caught many an eye for his performances at Craven Cottage Ker Robertson/Getty Images

He has been scouted by Bayern Munich, has trained with Paris St Germain's first team and shares a name with one of the most expensive signings in Tottenham's history.

But Moussa Dembele is quickly becoming recognised for his own achievements on the pitch, rather than for his links to some of the leading lights of modern football.

The 19-year-old has played 15 times for Fulham this season, scoring six goals, including a double in last weekend's 4-2 win over Reading.

A France Under-20 international, he is learning rapidly in the Championship as he benefits from the advice of experienced professionals like Scott Parker and Ross McCormack. He is believed to be on the brink of a call-up to his country's Under-21 side.

His performances this season, in a team who have struggled to find consistent form, have caught the eye of many a scout. With Dembele's contract due to expire at the end of the campaign, it is little wonder that Fulham are keen to tie him to a new, long-term deal.

Yet Dembele will take his time as he prepares to make what will be the most important decision of his short career. Bayern have shown an interest but they are not the only ones. Everton admire him, too, as do Dutch giants Feyenoord. If he stays on the right track, those suitors will only grow in number.

Born in Pontoise, in the north-western suburbs of Paris, Dembele's talent was soon spotted by Paris St Germain scouts and he joined their youth set-up, spending eight years at the club.

Although he was training regularly with the first-team squad by the end, Dembele chose to move to Fulham in August 2012 as PSG's newly-found financial power made life tougher for their home-grown players. That was the summer Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ezequiel Lavezzi, two international forwards with outstanding pedigree, arrived in Paris.

Dembele's switch to London meant that, for a few days that month, Fulham had two players on their books with virtually identical names. That was before Mousa Dembele, the Belgian midfielder who had spent two seasons at Craven Cottage, joined Tottenham for £15million towards the end of the summer transfer window.

The older Dembele has had a good career in English football but if he fulfils his potential, the younger one might eclipse him.

Dembele's playing style – he is a centre-forward with speed, power, strength and improving technique – has drawn comparisons with Nicolas Anelka, the former France forward who represented some of the finest clubs in Europe – Real Madrid, Arsenal, PSG and Chelsea.

Like Anelka, Dembele is precocious: he was a prolific scorer at youth level, in both France and England, and was handed his Premier League debut against West Ham in November 2013. He was just 17 at the time.

Although he is still a teenager, Dembele is a mature character with a thirst for improvement. He regularly watches clips of some of the best strikers of yesteryear, such as Marco van Basten and Gabriel Batistuta, to try to be more effective in front of goal.

He has some way to go to match their achievements but on this season's evidence, Dembele's career is heading in only one direction. Fulham are keen to conclude contract talks as quickly as possible. Whether he stays or not, it seems clear Dembele is a young man with a very bright future.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulhams-moussa-dembele-is-developing-into-one-of-the-countrys-most-coveted-young-stars-a3102846.html?

WhiteJC

Injured Arthurworrey Back At Fulham

Yeovil's season, which has been bad enough with the struggles the Glovers have had to go through already, has taken another blow with Stephen Arthurworrey's loan cut short with injury forcing him back to Fulham.

Paul Sturrock this week confirmed to the Official Website the defender's loan was over....

Initially injured against Coventry in the JPT another setback against Mansfield was suffered a week or so later. After Fulham scanned Arthurworrey's knee it revealed he needs to undergo surgery so he's back with his parent club.

On this latest injury blow, with serious and sustained injury setbacks doing little to help Yeovil through the struggles, Glovers boss Sturrock said.

'He went back to Fulham and had an x-ray and there is knee damage of some sort,

'Fulham have explained that he is going to need an operation and that obviously puts him out of contention here for a while.

'It's a massive blow.'

During his loan spells at Huish Park, both last season and (in some ways surprisingly) this term the defender has proven to be a fans favourite with him producing the sort of performances on the pitch you want.

As Sturrock says his loss is a 'massive blow' and will leave a huge vacancy in the Yeovil defence that's going to be incredibly difficult to fill!

Read more: http://www.yeovil.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=419670#ixzz3q5XDevtI

WhiteJC

Smith Hungry For Goals

Having recovered from a knee injury suffered in our fourth game of the season at Hull City, Matt Smith now has his sights firmly set on a First Team return.

The striker was named amongst the substitutes for the 4-2 win over Reading last weekend, and when asked if it felt good to be part of the matchday squad once again, he replied: "Absolutely. It's been an extremely frustrating eight, nine weeks out on the sidelines but full credit goes to the medical team here because the rehab process has gone really smoothly.

"My knee feels in a strong place so now it's just about getting up to speed in terms of match sharpness, but I'm delighted to be back in the fold and hopefully I can just kick on from here."

Smith's absence from the team meant there was a chance for someone else to come in and stake their claim for a place. And having scored six goals in that time, Moussa Dembélé has done just that.

"He really has," Smith admitted. "He's really shone, he's been one of the standout performers, certainly in my absence.

"I've said all along Moussa really does have all the physical attributes to be a top, top footballer."

Dembélé is currently enjoying a purple patch in front of goal and Ross McCormack leads the scoring charts, but Smith is confident of playing himself into contention when called upon.

"It's healthy competition," he said. "Obviously I want to be back in that XI where I started out the season. I have no intention of just sitting around on the bench, so we've all got to push ourselves.

"The Championship's a difficult league, you can have three games a week, the winter months in particular is when teams can come into their own, so you're really going to need the whole squad.

"It's up to me that when I do get the opportunity to get out on the pitch that I prove my worth again and try and get back to scoring goals, as I did the backend of last season and then the very first game of this one.

"Then I was injured not long after that, so if I get back on the pitch and start scoring goals again, hopefully that can get me back in the side."

Fulham go into the weekend with the aim of making it five games unbeaten when they take on Bristol City.

Smith scored 13 goals during a prolific loan spell at Ashton Gate last season, and he's expecting a real battle against his former teammates on Saturday.

"I really enjoyed my time at City," the 26-year-old stated. "I've got nothing but good things to say about the club, the manager and the set of players that they have there – it's more or less the same squad.

"It's certainly going to be a tough test for us, they're a very good side and I think their results might not have married up to their performances, so they're definitely not one to take lightly at all.

"They've got a lot of qualities throughout the team but we've done our homework so we'll be well aware of what they are."

With his contributions helping the Robins to the Sky Bet League One title and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy last season, Smith was unsurprisingly a fans' favourite during his three months in the West Country.

And while he is full of praise for City's supporters, his attentions are now solely on getting back to fitness and form with Fulham.

He said: "They've got a great set of fans there and they experienced a lot of success last season which gives them a lot to sing about, and when you're scoring goals on a regular basis that's what fans want to see.

"It was a successful loan for all parties I think. Now I'm back here and I got the opportunity to play at the backend of last season, I got in and scored some goals and I was hoping to continue that this season, and it started off so well.

"The injury was a setback but footballers are going to have setbacks throughout their career, it's how you overcome them, how you react to them, is what determines how far you're going to go.

"So I've tried to keep a tough mental state throughout the process and, as I said, I'm very grateful to the medical team here and the Manager who have been by my side every step of the way.

"Now I'm back out on the grass and I just want to get back to scoring goals and proving my point out on the pitch."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/30/smith-hungry-for-goals?

WhiteJC

Kit: Preparing For Battle

Manager Kit Symons is preparing the Whites to face a 'strong unit' in Bristol City and believes the sold-out away end will provide an extra boost.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/30/manager-video?

WhiteJC

Why Fulham's lack of focus is hurting them this season

Whites conceding more goals in final 10 minutes than any other Championship team

Late heartbreak: Craig Noone of Cardiff City (R) celebrates scoring at the death against Fulham

Goals in the last 10 minutes of Championship matches have cost Fulham six points so far this season.

That's more than any other Championship club have dropped due to goals scored on or after the 80th minute.

The Cottagers have conceded a total of five goals in the latter stages of matches. Only Leeds have conceded more, six.

The problem first started in the season opener away to Cardiff.

Kit Symons' side were winning 1-0 up until the 86th minute when a Craig Noone goal drew the Bluebirds level. The match finished 1-1 at the expense of two points for Fulham.

A point looked like it was on the cards against Brighton in the first home game of the season. However, a 94th minute goal by Tommer Hemed meant that all three points went to the Seagulls.

Under fire: Fulham manager Kit Symons

A week later and an 86th minute goal by Sone Aluko meant that a point was dropped away to Hull.

Jordan Cousins' 96th goal for Charlton salvaged a point for the Addicks and saw the Whites drop yet another two points due to a last minute goal.

Only Bristol City, who provide tomorrow's opposition for the Whites, come close to Fulham when it comes to giving away points in the last 10 minutes of the match.

The Robins have missed out on five points thanks to goals scored on or after the 80th minute.

Ipswich Town, Nottingham Forest and Preston North End have each missed out on four points.

Brighton have been the team to benefit the most from late goals though.

They've won six points over the course of the season so far thanks to goals scored in the 80th minute.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-lack-focus-hurting-season-10357634?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham home

Information on tomorrow's opponents.
FULHAM
After a slow start to the season, boss Kit Symons job has come under scrutiny. The Cottagers have one win in five games to their name but did beat local rivals QPR 4-0 at Craven Cottage. The West Londoners possess the attacking threats of Ross McCormack, Moussa Dembele and Matt Smith while Tom Cairney and Alexander Kacaniklic have also impressed from midfield.

MANAGER
Kit Symons - Former Wales international whose 17-year career spanned across four clubs including Fulham. The 44-year-old has been caretaker of Crystal Palace (twice), Colchester United and Fulham as well as being assistant manager of Wales. He took over the reigns permanently at Craven Cottage in last year.

STAR MAN
Ross McCormack - Signed from Leeds United for a Championship transfer record estimated at £11m. The 29-year-old started his career with Rangers and after two years with Motherwell, he moved to English leagues with Cardiff City. The Scotland international impressed for the Welsh club and was denied moves to the Premier League before signing for Leeds. He scored 58 times 154 appearances for the Yorkshire club leading to his big money sale to Fulham. The striker had eight goals this season.

OFFICIALS
Andy Woolmer is appointed as the man in the middle. Justin Amey and John Law will assist him, and Rob Lewis will be the fourth official.

TICKETS
This match is sold out.

LAST TIME OUT
Fulham 1-0 Bristol City (1997) - A Paul Moody header earned Ray Wilkins' Fulham an impressive win over in-form City at Craven Cottage. The visitors went into the game on the back of a 15-match unbeaten run, which included 13 wins, but their streak was ended when Moody won it for the Cottagers with a glancing header in the 55th minute.

LAST SEASON
Sky Bet Championship: 17th
FA Cup: Fourth round replay (lost to Sunderland)
Capital One Cup: Fourth round (lost to Derby County)

DID YOU KNOW?
Fulham have never won a major trophy. They lost in the 1975 FA Cup final to West Ham United and the 2010 Europa League final to Atletico Madrid.

ODDS
Sky Bet price City at 19/20 while Fulham are available at 13/5. The draw is also priced at 13/5.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/preview-fulham-home-2768809.aspx#TOPrHOfLzsWeTEzW.99

WhiteJC

Baker 50/50 for visit of Fulham as Cotterill looks to name unchanged side

Loan signing Nathan Baker could feature for Bristol City in their home game against Fulham despite limping out of the derby at Cardiff with a hamstring problem.

Baker, signed on a season-long loan deal from Aston Villa on the final day of the summer transfer window, hobbled off inside 25 minutes of the goalless draw on Monday and was replaced by Joe Bryan.

It was feared at the time Baker could be out for several weeks, but boss Steve Cotterill said it is not a serious hamstring injury and rates the centre-back's chances of making it as 50-50.

Scott Wagstaff has returned to training after a calf problem, which has kept him out for two months but Cotterill is likely to name an unchanged side if Baker passes a fitness test.

Fulham welcome Jamie O'Hara back from suspension for the game at Ashton Gate.

The midfielder missed the 4-2 win over Reading after picking up his fifth booking of the season.

Jazz Richards injured his calf in that game and is likely to be missing for around three weeks, but Northern Ireland Under-21 captain Liam Donnelly has been recalled from a loan at Crawley.

Matt Smith and Scott Parker are back to full fitness and in contention for starting places.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/422790/bristol-city-fulham/preview?

WhiteJC

Opposition View

Hibernian defender Liam Fontaine progressed through the Fulham Academy to make two First Team appearances for the Whites before going on to play 294 times for Saturday's opponents Bristol City. He looks back on his time at both clubs and gives his prediction for the weekend's Ashton Gate encounter.

How did you find your time at Fulham?

I loved it – I thoroughly enjoyed Fulham as a club. I was playing for Bromley Borough and when I was 13 I got scouted by Fulham who asked me to come along to the Academy for training. There was a great set-up and they were really focused on bringing the younger players through, people like Sean Davis and Elvis Hammond were getting chances in the first team. They were a few years older than me but when I signed my scholarship at 16 I was actually playing up an age group with people like Dean Leacock and Zesh Rehman and that sort of generation of the Academy.

How good a moment was it to make your First Team debut?

It was great. Chris Coleman was the manager at the time and I'd spent a lot of time with him when he was doing his recovery from his accident. He'd trained and played with us in the Reserves and I was lucky enough to get a Premier League debut under him, albeit just for a few minutes at Southampton. Then I played in the FA Cup when I made my full debut as a starter against Watford away.

Why did you leave Fulham?

I got offered the chance to stay but I was at the age where I had to make the decision as to whether I stay and be just a squad player, or I go out and start building a reputation and a career for myself, which is why I went to Bristol City. I'd already been on loan there under Gary Johnson, who'd also taken me on loan to Yeovil when I was 17. I enjoyed it there, I liked playing under Gary, so it was an easy decision to join them permanently.

You played almost 300 games for City – how do you look back on your time there?

I've got great memories, Bristol's a great club. I spent nine-and-a-half years there which is quite unheard of nowadays in football, and I had great times. In my first permanent season we got promoted after finishing second in League One, and then we had some really successful years in the Championship. Our first season there we got all the way to the Play-Off Final and then got beat by the Dean Windass goal for Hull. I was fortunate enough to go on to captain the club as well, which was great for me.

How did your departure in 2014 come about?

I was coming to the end of my contract and it was time to move on. The last few seasons City had been battling in the Championship and did get relegated, so it was time for a change and to freshen up the club again. So that happened and I was unfortunately one of the ones that had to go. I was out on loan when the new gaffer, Steve Cotterill, arrived and when I went back in January he was fantastic with me. He told me his plans and explained that I would be moving on at the end of the season, but I thank him for that because he was up front with me. I trained well and got on with him for the rest of the season, which was good while I was there.

What sort of manager is Cotterill?

He's a very passionate manager, very passionate. He wants to win and he wants every player to do well. He gets his team playing some great football with a high tempo, and you can see he kicks and heads every ball on the sidelines. So you can see his passion for the game is there, and I'd say that's his main thing.

How do you see Saturday's game going?

I've seen City's last couple of games that have been on TV and they're playing some good football, but Fulham have picked up recently. I think it will be a tough game for both teams. City were unfortunate not to win against Cardiff, and that's what their season's been like – they've played some great stuff but they're not getting the points on the board at the moment. At home they play well and the pitch is lovely there, so I'm going to sit on the fence and go for a 2-2 draw.

And how are you enjoying life in Scotland now?

It's good up here. Hibs is a great club and we've got a very good young manager in Alan Stubbs. He's got us playing a way that we enjoy and it's going well. We're trying to get back up to the SPL and we've got a good game ourselves this weekend against Rangers. It's going to be a battle until the end of the season, but it's going very well.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/30/opposition-view?

WhiteJC

Bristol City v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Ashton Gate Stadium Date: Saturday 31 October Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Fulham defender Jazz Richards (calf) is likely to be missing for around three weeks, but midfielder Jamie O'Hara is available after serving a suspension.

Forward Matt Smith, who had a loan spell at Bristol City last season, and midfielder Scott Parker also return.

Loan signing Nathan Baker (hamstring) could feature for Bristol City if the defender passes a fitness test.

Midfielder Scott Wagstaff has returned to training after a calf problem, which has kept him out for two months.

MATCH FACTS

The Robins have lost four of their last six league encounters with the Cottagers (W2).
Ross McCormack has scored six goals in his last six league appearances against Bristol City.
The Robins have dropped 10 points from leading positions this season; a joint-league-high with QPR.
Moussa Dembele has scored or provided an assist for four of Fulham's last five league goals (three goals, one assist).
82% of the players to appear for Bristol City this season have been English, the highest share in the Championship.
Fulham have won just once in their last seven away games in the league (D3 L3).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34623483

WhiteJC

Interview: Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli

Last season was a big one for Marcus Bettinelli as he became Fulham's number-one goalkeeper at the age of 22, also earning a call-up to the England Under-21s squad for the U21 Euro 2015 in the Czech Republic.

He then started this season between the sticks for the Cottagers before his year was rocked by a knee ligament injury suffered in August.

Now halfway through the recovery process, Bettinelli is beginning to look ahead to a first-team return in 2016, with Fulham hoping to be somewhere near the Championship's promotion mix towards the end of the season.

Yesterday, Bettinelli took some time out with teammate Jack Grimmer to help at the London Poppy Day in Leadenhall Market. The event raises money for The Royal British Legion and, thanks to Sky Bet, we caught up with the shot-stopper.

Marcus, how have you enjoyed helping out at the London Poppy Day?

"Yeah it's good to get out of the gym and come and represent the club at events like this. At this time of year it's always good to raise awarness for The Royal British Legion and urge people to wear the poppy with pride.

"It's frustrating being out injured at the moment, but it's nice to be able to get out and have a bit of fun."

You mention your injury there, how is the recovery coming along?
"Yeah I did my MCL about two months ago now. It seems a lot longer ago than that, but recovery is going well. I'm still in my brace for a few more weeks, but once that's off I'll be getting fit and kicking on to return as soon as possible really.

Is there a date you're targeting for your return?
"I'm hoping around sort of February time. I'd be happy to get back any time before the end of the season, but if I was going to push myself and get myself out there as quick as possible, I'd be very happy with around February."

Last season was a great year for you, breaking into the first team, but then you got the injury and now both Andy Lonergan and Joe Lewis (on a season-long loan) are playing well.

It's going to be quite hard for you to get back in the team isn't it?
"Yeah it will. Joe and Lonners have done really well. Lonners stepped in when I got injured and him and Joe have been sharing duties this season. It is gonna be tough. When I do get back fit, I'm a very confident young man and I'm confident in my ability to get back in the team.

"When I'm back in training I know I can show the coaching staff what I can do and then it'll be up to them who plays on a Saturday. Whether it's me or not, I'll be the supporting the lads either way."

I know you haven't been able to play for the last couple of months, but what have you made of the team's performances this season?
"Well it's really hard to sit on the sidelines and watch, but I think we're in a much better position than last season. As a team we're stronger and we've got more individual talent.

"It's been a bit of an up-and-down season for us, but I think we're starting to gel more together. Good teams take a long time to build and we're getting there together. We've shown that in some of our performances this year, we've not been as consistent as we'd like to be."

Consistency is so important in the Championship, isn't it? You guys came back from two down to beat high-flying Reading recently but it's important to kick on from that...
"Absolutely. To be consistent is what everybody wants in football. We showed great fight against Reading the other day to come back from behind. We now have to take what we did in the second half against Reading and use it in the next game and the game after that."

That's taken you up to 11th in the table, seven points off the playoffs. Is the top six your target?
"We definitely want to finish higher than just mid-table. We're a confident young bunch of lads with a few experienced heads in there and we honestly believe as a group that we're well and truly good enough to give it a go this year.

"I know we said that a few times last year but we're in a much better place than we were last year after relegation. We're hoping this year the sky's the limit. If we fall short, we fall short, but we definitely want to finish higher than where we are now."

On a personal level, you signed a new long-term contract earlier this summer amid some reported interest from Chelsea. You haven't been able to really push on so far this term, but do you see your future with Fulham?
"Of course. If I didn't then I wouldn't have signed the contract. I want to be at this club. At the moment I am injured but hopefully it's only six months of what will be a very long career. I want to stay at Fulham for as many years as I can.

"I want the club to be back in the position that it was when I was coming up through the youth ranks, as a top-five Premier League club in a European final. That's where I see myself and that's where the team sees itself."

Another player who's come through the ranks in striker Moussa Dembele. He's been amongst the goals this season, have you been impressed with him?
"I've played with Moussa the last few years in the Under-21s and he's always been a real threat to opposing teams. This year he's gained confidence from his performances and that then helps the team a lot."

You say you're in a stronger position this year than last. Could you pinpoint one or two things in particular that have improved?
"I don't think it's anything big really. I think little things end up equalling big things if you tweak them a little. As a team, it was good to have a pre-season with the manager (Kit Symons), which we didn't have last season with other personnel (Felix Magath) in charge at the time."

Internationally, you were away in the Czech Republic with England's Under-21s at the European Championship. How was that?
"Well, if you had told me a year ago when I was on loan at Accrington Stanley that I would be playing for England Under-21s in a friendly before the Euros, I would have said you were lying.

"It was a great opportunity to go away with the lads and what was such a strong side. It was a bit disappointing the way we went out, but for me it was a great achievement to be in the squad and I had to pinch myself at times."

When you see what former Under-21 keepers like Jack Butland are doing now, that must be the level you're aiming for?
"Of course. I've been watching Buts for a long time and he's doing terrifically at Stoke and I hope it continues for him. I'm not putting any pressure on myself or any deadlines, I just want to be back playing for Fulham as soon as possible. I love playing football week in, week out."

Read more at: https://tr.im/PMUmE

WhiteJC

Cotterill grateful to Symons

City boss thanks Fulham manager for Smith loan.
Steve Cotterill has thanked Fulham boss Kit Symons for his generosity surrounding Matt Smith's loan move last season.

Smith spent three months at Ashton Gate scoring 13 goals in 20 appearances in City's double-winning campaign, including four goals in the 4-2 win against Gillingham in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Cotterill watched Fulham defeat Reading last weekend in preparation for tomorrow's match (3pm) and while he is looking forward to seeing his former striker, he says come kick-off all niceties will be forgotten.

"Kit was very kind to us last season and didn't recall Matt when he could have, which we're very thankful and grateful for," he told Bristol City Player HD.

"I saw him (Smith) briefly on Saturday and got to say hello to him. I'm sure there will be plenty of pleasantries before the game but once the match starts we make sure we don't give an inch."

On the Cottagers' 4-2 win over Reading, Cotterill said: "They didn't start the game very and finished it very well. Where have we seen that before? We've done that this season.

"They had a good win last week but we're looking forward to it. We've played very well in our last two away games and now we want to play very well at home as well."

Cotterill has praised his side's performances of late and is looking forward to his team producing a similar display against Fulham tomorrow (3pm).

It's another sell-out crowd at Ashton Gate and the manager hopes for a vociferous home support.

He said: "I'm sure those who couldn't manage to go to Cardiff the other night would've been very encouraged by the performance (watching on TV).

"Our performances have been very good this season and we'll be looking to maintain that tomorrow.

"It's good it's sold out and if they bring their voices with them that'll be even better."

Tomorrow's game with Fulham is SOLD OUT. Secure your seat for the clash with Wolves online now or by calling 0117 963 0600.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/cotterill-grateful-to-symons-2774200.aspx#glo61ubwKK0WbMUY.99

WhiteJC

Fulham FC says Craven Cottage unavailable as venue for Russia-Portugal friendly match

The proposed game had not been announced through any official Club channels and due to circumstances beyond the Club's control, it is not possible for the fixture to take place, the statement says

MOSCOW, October 30. /TASS/. A friendly match scheduled for next month between the national teams of Russia and Portugal will not be held at the Craven Cottage in London as it was reported earlier in the week, a press service of Fulham FC, which plays its home matches at the stadium, announced to TASS on Friday.

The Russian Football Union announced on Monday that the national team, which earlier in the month qualified for the 2016 UEFA Euro Cup, is scheduled to play in November two friendly fixtures. The first of the announced matches will be played in London on November 13 against Portugal and the second will take place in Russia's southern city of Krasnodar on November 17 against Croatia.

"Fulham had been in discussions to host an international match at Craven Cottage during the next International break in November," the football club's press service said in its statement for TASS.

"The proposed game had not been announced through any official Club channels and regrettably, due to circumstances beyond the Club's control, it is not possible for the fixture to take place," the statement said. "Fulham is of course disappointed for all parties concerned."

The Russians played Portugal five times and has a record of one victory, one draw and three defeats, while the number of encounters with Croatia stands only at two with both matches ending with draws.

Following Russia's qualifying match defeat to Austria in mid-June the national football team's coaching staff saw a major overhaul. The previously Italian-dominated staff was dismissed along with former Head Coach Fabio Capello and Russia's Leonid Slutsky was appointed in early August to take the helm of the team.

Slutsky managed to guide the national team to victories in all matches under his management starting with 1-0 victory over Sweden on September 5.

The new coach's inaugural match against the Swedish squad followed by a crushing 7-0 victory over Liechtenstein three days later and then he took the team to victories over Moldova (2-1) on October 9 and Montenegro (2-0) on October 12.

Russia's ambitions to be among the top world's best national teams are fueled by the country's current preparations for hosting the FIFA 2017 Confederations Cup and 2108 World Cup.

http://tass.ru/en/sport/832948?

WhiteJC

Bristol City Factfile

Saturday marks the first meeting between Fulham and Bristol City since December 1997, as the Whites go in search of a fifth consecutive match without defeat.

The opposition

A sticky start to the season in which Bristol City took just one point from their opening three matches saw them occupy a spot in the relegation zone, just behind Fulham on goal difference.

They then picked up their first win of the campaign in impressive style, leaving the Riverside Stadium having beaten Middlesbrough 1-0. They did lose three of their next four games, drawing the other one, but have only been beaten once in the last five, when they were narrowly defeated away at leaders Brighton & Hove Albion.

They go into the game unlucky to only have taken a point from their meeting with Cardiff City in Wales on Monday.

Team news

On-loan Nathan Baker is rated as 50/50 for the weekend's game after going off injured against the Bluebirds. Scott Wagstaff has returned to training after a spell on the sidelines, but Saturday could be too soon for a first-team return.

Tickets

This match is sold out, both home and away.

How to get there

To get as close as possible to the ground, take the train from London Paddington to Bristol Parkway, and then grab a connection heading for Parson Street (collective journey time approx. 1hr45) which is around 15 minutes from Ashton Gate on foot. Alternatively, Bristol Temple Meads station is just two-and-a-half miles from the stadium.

Weather

It is supposed to be dry all day in Bristol, with temperatures of around 16 degrees come 3pm.

Pre-match

The Nova Scotia, the Tobacco House, the Orchard and Bedminster Cricket Club all tend to be away fan friendly.

Coral match odds

Bristol City: 21/20

Draw: 13/5

Fulham: 27/10

Last time we met

A Paul Moody header earned Ray Wilkins' Fulham an impressive win over in-form Bristol City at Craven Cottage in our final match of 1997.

The Robins went into the game on the back of a 15-match unbeaten run, which included 13 wins, but it was the Whites who edged the first half, with Moody twice going close.

City had the best chance of the afternoon not long after the restart when Shaun Goater's volley hit the crossbar, but it was the hosts who made the breakthrough on 55 minutes when Moody glanced in Steve Hayward's free-kick.

Moody could have added to his tally but it mattered little in the end as his team held on to grab the three points which moved us into the Division Two Play-Off places.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/30/bristol-city-factfile?

WhiteJC

3 things to look out for in the Bristol City vs Fulham match

Bristol City and Fulham trade blows at Ashton Gate on Saturday afternoon.

Here's THREE things to look out for in the Sky Bet Championship fixture:

1. Bristol City's good form:

October has been a good month for Steve Cotterill's side, who have accumulated five points out of a possible 12.

The Robins will be hoping to replicate an impressive 2-0 home win over Nottingham Forest in this game.

One key ingredient to City's good form in October has been their defence, who have so far kept two clean sheets in four games this month.

2. In form Dembele:

19-year-old Fulham striker Moussa Dembele has been in red hot form of late.

In his last two league games, the Frenchman has scored three goals for the West London club, which has fuelled interest from Premier League sides.

Kit Symons will be hoping the youngster can net again at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

3. Fulham's unbeaten run:

Fulham will hope to extend their four match unbeaten run at Ashton Gate on Saturday.

The Craven Cottage outfit have gone the whole of October unbeaten so far, with one win and three draws.

A win at Ashton Gate would be massive for manager Kit Symons, who's job is under scrutiny.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-things-to-look-out-for-in-the-bristol-city-vs-fulham-match/?#SGHq9QWvPS7XDrds.99

WhiteJC

FULL TIME: Fulham U21s 1 Swans U21s 0

. . . Swans lose out to late winner in London

A stoppage time winner from Fulham's Joshua Smile ended Swansea City Under-21s' unbeaten run at Motspur Park on Friday night.
The Swans had a number of chances with Oliver McBurnie, Daniel James, Raheem Hanley and Liam Shephard all coming close to give the development squad the lead.
A frustrating Fulham defence continued to keep Swansea's chances out before Smile fired home a shot from the edge of the area to condemn the Swans to their first defeat since September.

Swansea City Under-21s' face Fulham at Motspur Park in Barclays Premier League Division Two on Friday evening (7pm).
The Swans make just one change to the side that thrashed Aston Villa 5-0 last Monday with Owain Jones replacing the injured Ryan Hedges on the wing.
Defender Liam Shephard continues as captain while striker Ollie McBurnie looks to add to his goal tally of seven this campaign.
Fulham make two changes to the team that won away at West Ham on Monday with trialist Ian Pino Soler coming back into Fulham's defence. Irish midfielder Sean Kavanagh, who has featured 17 times for Fulham's first team is also included in home sides starting XI.

FULHAM U21s: Marek Rodak, Rayheem Sheckleford, Jordan Evans, Joshua Smile, Ian Pino Soler (Liam Donnelly, 70), Shane Elworthy, Dean O'Halloran (Joshua Walker, 67), Emerson Eyndman, Sean Kavanagh, Mattias Kait, George Williams (Aaron Redford, 59)
SUBS NOT USED: Andrew Dawber

SWANS U21s: Josh Vickers, Liam Shephard (Capt) (Kyle Copp, 86), Raheem Hanley, Tom Holland, Keston Davies, Alex Gogic, Daniel James, Adnan Maric, Ollie McBurnie, Henry Jones, Owain Jones (Daniel Alfie, 63)
SUBS NOT USED: Gregor Zabret, Botti Biabi, Joe Rodon

Swansea looked to pressurise the home side early at Motspur Park, Henry Jones and Liam Shephard linking up down the right flank with an attack into the box after just three minutes.
Seconds later Fulham could have taken the lead when frontman Mattias Kait teed-up a ball into the box for Joshua Smile to run onto for a shot, his effort sailing to the right of Josh Vickers' post.
The Swans continued to look for the first goal, midfielder Adnan Maric heading over inside the area before Owain Jones saw his shot blocked for a corner.
The home side had a few chances with Vickers equal to a header from Kait before punching clear a corner minutes later.
The midfield battle continued with a Henry Jones free-kick narrowly wide on the stroke of half-time keeping the score goalless.

HALF-TIME: Fulham U21s 0 - 0 Swans U21s

FULHAM U21s: Marek Rodak, Rayheem Sheckleford, Jordan Evans, Joshua Smile, Ian Pino Soler (Liam Donnelly, 70), Shane Elworthy, Dean O'Halloran (Joshua Walker, 67), Emerson Eyndman, Sean Kavanagh, Mattias Kait, George Williams (Aaron Redford, 59)

SWANS U21s: Josh Vickers, Liam Shephard (Capt) (Kyle Copp, 86), Raheem Hanley, Tom Holland, Keston Davies, Alex Gogic, Daniel James, Adnan Maric, Ollie McBurnie, Henry Jones, Owain Jones (Daniel Alfie, 63)

Swansea looked to pressurise the home side early at Motspur Park, Henry Jones and Liam Shephard linking up down the right flank with an attack into the box after just three minutes.

Seconds later Fulham could have taken the lead when frontman Mattias Kait teed-up a ball into the box for Joshua Smile to run onto for a shot, his effort sailing to the right of Josh Vickers' post.

The Swans continued to look for the first goal, midfielder Adnan Maric heading over inside the area before Owain Jones saw his shot blocked for a corner.

The home side had a few chances with Vickers equal to a header from Kait before punching clear a corner minutes later.

The midfield battle continued with a Henry Jones free-kick narrowly wide on the stroke of half-time keeping the score goalless.

Both sides made a slow start to the second-half, Josh Vickers comfortably saving a Sean Kavanagh free-kick from 20 yards the only real chance in the first five minutes.

The Swans looked to move up the gears in search of their fiest goal, great link-up play from Daniel James and Owain Jones found Oliver McBurnie in the box, Fulham's keeper punching the ball from his feet before the striker could turn and shoot.

Minutes later James raced through midfield to fire a low stinging shot that was saved by the finger tips of Marek Rodak.

The best chance of the game came on 66 minutes when a full-back Raheem Hanley latched onto a loose ball to rifle a shot at goal, the ball beating Fulham's keeper but cannoning back off the post.

Fulham's defence continued to frustrate the visitors as Swansea continued their attack on goal, Liam Shephard, Oliver McBurnie and Daniel James all testing Rodak in the Fulham goal but none could find the finish to break the deadlock.

The development squad looked to be heading towards a draw only for a stoppage time winner from Josh Smile to giev the home side a smash-and-grab win.

Read more at http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/swansea-city-under-21s-fulham-premier-league-division-two-2774046.aspx#T61YETRxCe0LqJkb.99

WhiteJC

Matthew Barnes-Homer returns to Kidderminster Harriers as former Fulham midfielder Dino Fazlic also signs

STRIKER Matthew Barnes-Homer has joined Kidderminster Harriers for a second time.

The 29-year-old has signed for the club for an initial month's loan from Aldershot.

The renowned goalscorer needs little introduction to Harriers fans as a former favourite in Worcestershire, after his near three-year spell between 2008 and 2010 saw him back 37 goals in 91 starts in a red shirt.

His form at Aggborough, particularly at the start of 2010/11, earned him a move to Luton Town, where he spent a couple of years and scored 19 times in 64 starts.

Goals and games followed for the 29 year-old at Macclesfield Town and Forest Green Rovers amongst others, Barnes-Homer scorning nine goals for the Silkmen in the National League last season.

So far this season he's struggled for scoring form with Aldershot, but the move to Aggborough may be just what he needs to reignite the season not only for himself, but for Dave Hockaday's men, too.

Meanwhile, Harriers also signed former Werder Bremen and Fulham man Dino Fazlic.

The 23 year-old has signed a short-term deal with the club that runs initially until the New Year.

Born in Boznia but raised in Germany, Dino began his career with Bremen's youth team before a switch to Bolton Wanderers in 2012 brought him to the UK.

Although he was a regular in the Bolton U21s side, he was unable to break through to the first-team of the side that ultimately suffered relegation from the Premier League.

A combative midfield player, he then turned out for Grasshopper Club Zurich before returning to England to spend the first half of last season with Fulham. He ended up seeing out the season playing top-flight football in Croatia.

"Dino comes to us with a little bit of experience; he's a technical player but also has a rod of steel running through him," boss Dave Hockaday commented.

"He is a hard lad who has been around Europe and knows the game – he is tactically very astute.

"He is hungry and wants a chance. He'll get an opportunity here and he is a prospect not just for now but for the future."

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/khfc/13927510.Matthew_Barnes_Homer_returns_to_Harriers_as_former_Fulham_midfielder_signs/?

WhiteJC

Matt Smith expects Bristol City pals to be tough foes now

Fulham striker Matt Smith, left, returns to Ashton Gate today after last season's successful loan spell with Bristol City PICTURE: RICHARD SELLERS /PA

Matt Smith is today hoping to step up his return from a knee injury against the Bristol City team he helped to achieve a double last season.

Fulham front man Smith enjoyed a successful loan spell at Ashton Gate last season, scoring 13 goals along the way to City winning the League One title and Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

He made the bench for Fulham's last game and said: "I really enjoyed my time at City," said Smith. "I've got nothing but good things to say about the club, the manager and the set of players that they have there.

"It's certainly going to be a tough test for us, they're a very good side and I think their results might not have married up to their performances, so they're definitely not one to take lightly at all.

Read more: http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Smith-expects-City-pals-tough-foes/story-28086453-detail/story.html#ixzz3q86arrvl
Follow us: @WesternDaily on Twitter | WesternDaily on Facebook