News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stearman Burn Ream - are three centre backs the way forward?

Started by copthornemike, October 31, 2015, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

I did not get to see the team but did the use of a back three play an important role in the win?

Burn, Stearman & Ream in my opinion complement very well each other being three different types of centre backs.

Supermitch

It works if you have the likes of Fredericks & Husband on the flanks and today was very effective.

Apprentice to the Maestro

i did not see the game either but my feeling is that the important aspects of that formation is that it gives Fredericks and Husband more freedom to push forward and that Fredericks and Husband seem more effective and creative at the moment than playing the likes of Pringle and LVC as wide midfielders.

Carborundum

Brilliant shock tactics for today, not clear that it's a long term winner.  Seems likely to be attritional on the wing backs and, like any set up, once it's rumbled then at this level the weaknesses in the system can be exposed. 

What's encouraging for me is that we have a manager brave enough to try a different set up and players with skills and attributes to pull it off.  The back room team will have scouted Bristol and factored what they saw into deciding the approach today.  I'd like to think that if 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 looked optimal, we would go for it.

This is the benefit of a strong and healthy squad.  Without strength in depth, the options and the confidence dry up.

Well done everyone today.  It's a basking weekend again.

fulhamben

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on October 31, 2015, 09:34:29 PM
i did not see the game either but my feeling is that the important aspects of that formation is that it gives Fredericks and Husband more freedom to push forward and that Fredericks and Husband seem more effective and creative at the moment than playing the likes of Pringle and LVC as wide midfielders.
not so sure about that, how many goals and assists did lvc and kaca get against a superior reading as opposed to husband and Fred today?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FPT

I've been hoping to see today's shape for months. I'm glad we tried it and doubly glad it paid of with great success. I like how the system gets so many players in attacking areas - eases the pressure on O'Hara defensively and Ryan Fredericks with James Husband are the ideal wing backs.

I want to see us stick with the same against Burnley - I think it suits our squad more so than a 442.

Arthur

It was a bold move by Kit, but then again, after our Chairman's recent remarks, he is at the point where it's almost 'win or bust'. Kit needed to do something to get the most out of his players and, credit to him, today he managed just that with his team formation.

I liked the flexibility that it offers. At times we were 3-4-2-1 and yet, when required, we presented a solid-looking 5-4-1 formation. I think that Kit would be foolish not to persist with it with the players that he selected today. My main worry is Kit will want to bring Jazz back into the starting XI, and yet the system that served us so well this afternoon depends heavily upon the speed of the two wing-backs (i.e. Fredericks and Husband).

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Carborundum on October 31, 2015, 10:17:16 PM
Brilliant shock tactics for today, not clear that it's a long term winner.  Seems likely to be attritional on the wing backs and, like any set up, once it's rumbled then at this level the weaknesses in the system can be exposed. 

What's encouraging for me is that we have a manager brave enough to try a different set up and players with skills and attributes to pull it off.  The back room team will have scouted Bristol and factored what they saw into deciding the approach today.  I'd like to think that if 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 looked optimal, we would go for it.

This is the benefit of a strong and healthy squad.  Without strength in depth, the options and the confidence dry up.

Well done everyone today.  It's a basking weekend again.

064.gif
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

MJG

I think what really made Kit change the formation was hoe to get TC and O'hara in the center.  And many of us have called for this type of formation.
I also think it's not so much the 3/5 at back but the three cm's in the middle that is/was the difference.

While I don't think we will use this formation all the time now,  it gives Kit options and flexibility and belief to use 442/532 whenever the game requires it.

hovewhite

Ci would like to see three CBs for a spell as it helps the rest of the team attacking wise,
Another fantastic weekend!

Skatzoffc

I've mentioned this formation a few times in the past and also in the matchday thread as the game started.

I think it worked brilliantly yesterday but the early goal helped confidence massively.

Imo,  this not a cure all formation.

It needs to be used against the right opposition in the right way.

Stronger teams like Burnley will deal with it better but it is flexible.
It can work for us, or against us, depending on the opposition skill set and structure, & how they deal with it minute be by minute in a game.

The wing backs will obviously need to hang back more against a team like Burnley but the formation encourages, in fact demands quick counter-attacking against the opposition and as a result forces our team to be more pacey and attacking.

It is much more exciting to watch but must be tempered with caution against better organised teams.
Keep it up tho boys.

COYW!

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Gloss White

I agree about it is excellent for our 3 in the middle. It means Cairney, O'Hara and Tunnicliffe play in their natural position and because of the numbers mean it is very tight when defending. When attacking it gives lots if flexibility and allows players to get forward.
As a coach I preferred 3-5-2 because most teams play with 2 up front and the three allow you to have a spare man to pick up the pieces or when in possession one can move into a defensive mid position.

It's weakness is it is knackering for the wing backs and the space in the channels can be exploited. For a good passing team I really like it.

Riverside

With the right wing backs - Fredricks and Husband - yes clearly this works .

Not certain whether it would with Richards ( though he plays it well with Wales ) or Garbutt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Riverside on November 01, 2015, 03:02:40 PM
With the right wing backs - Fredricks and Husband - yes clearly this works .

Not certain whether it would with Richards ( though he plays it well with Wales ) or Garbutt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's a good point about Jazz, he's played there for Wales.

It would be interesting to see if he could do it for FFC. That said, Fredericks doesn't deserve to be dropped - far from it.

FPT

Jazz, as mentioned, has done it for Wales. To great success also, marked Eden Hazard out of the game against Belgium - as well as popping a gorgeous cross for Bale to score the winner against Cyprus. The Welsh opinion has been strong on him following his international form too. He doesn't have the pace and attacking potency of Ryan Fredericks, but he's good on the ball given his Swansea upbringing, so effective in moving the ball.

Luke Garbutt would probably flourish as a wing back too, all his strongest qualities are offensively - so if we can get him into those attacking areas to fizz some crosses into the box, we'll see some good stuff from him.

I think it also opens up opportunities for some players to play inwards - as mentioned, Tom Cairney can be more involved - interestingly, his average position was up by Ross and Moussa yesterday. I'm intrigued in seeing a Ben Pringle play in a left central midfield role - plus Lasse Vigen Christensen returning to a three man central midfield where I think he flourishes should he be allowed to remove the shackles a little.

I also quite like the idea of Jack Grimmer, once fit, coming in and being a potential option as the right sided centre back. He came through the academy as a centre back, moved to right back as he came into professional football on loan at Port Vale and Shrewsbury, but I do think his best football will be played at centre back - and playing as part of a three may cover his size and lack of. He's the same size as Aaron Hughes, and his partnership with Stephen Arthurworrey at Under 18 and 21 level did draw comparision with the famous Thames Barrier. Liam Donnelly too has been shuffled to right back in the professional game despite being recognised as a centre back at academy level - he too could benefit from a 3 man backline (not that he's going to be involved soon, but talking the system generally).

Quote from: fulhamben on October 31, 2015, 10:40:54 PM
not so sure about that, how many goals and assists did lvc and kaca get against a superior reading as opposed to husband and Fred today?

Reading was only one match. Our wide midfielders have been generally pretty ineffective.

And it is not just a matter of comparing player with player. It is the overall shape and performance of the team that counts.

I don't advocate any particular system. The choice should depend on the players available, the opposition and even whether playing home or away. Currently having five defenders might help cut out and clear more crosses against which we have been vulnerable and having five midfielders when attacking gives us more width. It does rely on those wide players having speed and stamina as Fredericks and Husband have.

And yesterday Husband ran down the wing and crossed for the first goal, was fouled on another attacking run for McCormack's free kick and it was his run from deep in our half and pass to Tunnicliffe for the fourth.

Forever Fulham

With every practice, and every game, more aware of situational habits of their teammates, and quicker into the right positions.  I wish we had one legitimate bruiser, one bully boy, one junkyard dog. 

copthornemike

Quote from: Forever Fulham on November 01, 2015, 06:48:15 PM
With every practice, and every game, more aware of situational habits of their teammates, and quicker into the right positions.  I wish we had one legitimate bruiser, one bully boy, one junkyard dog. 
Strangely enough I think that McCormack, O'Hara and Stearman are just that type and who give us that 'hard edge' during recent matches.

fulhamben

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on November 01, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

Reading was only one match. Our wide midfielders have been generally pretty ineffective.

And it is not just a matter of comparing player with player. It is the overall shape and performance of the team that counts.

I don't advocate any particular system. The choice should depend on the players available, the opposition and even whether playing home or away. Currently having five defenders might help cut out and clear more crosses against which we have been vulnerable and having five midfielders when attacking gives us more width. It does rely on those wide players having speed and stamina as Fredericks and Husband have.

And yesterday Husband ran down the wing and crossed for the first goal, was fouled on another attacking run for McCormack's free kick and it was his run from deep in our half and pass to Tunnicliffe for the fourth.
but you are basing husbands and Fredericks effectiveness on one game. And you said they were more effective at the moment, which also isn't true as kaca and LVC were immense against reading
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Quote from: fulhamben on November 01, 2015, 10:27:20 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on November 01, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

but you are basing husbands and Fredericks effectiveness on one game. And you said they were more effective at the moment, which also isn't true as kaca and LVC were immense against reading

The point about Husband's contribution yesterday showed that your argument based on one game could equally be applied to yesterday's game.

Plus three assists in one game seems a pretty good return for Kit's clever change of formation.

And Kacaniklic and LVC were not 'immense' against Reading, just good in the second half n a side full of good performances. Let's not overlook the less than immense performances in previous matches whereas Husband and Fredericks have looked sharp and threatening regularly.