watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-NFL

Started by bog, November 02, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Does anyone else think this 'sport' to be over-hyped nonsense? Perhaps I am missing something.

092.gif

MJG

As opposed to a Sky 'Super Sunday' of Newcastle Vs Stoke?

bog

You will always get naff football games, we have been involved in enough but it would always be football for me.  Ie Salford v Notts County this Friday on TV looks very inviting.   

092.gif

snarks

No I love the game, had season tickets for the 3 wembley games this year. I really enjoy it, it's actually better live than it is on the TV.

Lighthouse

One of the problems with NFL is that is seems to go on for hours with actual moments of play lasting a few seconds. Then after a few minutes they all go off and other players come on. It is all a little bitty.

We do like sport to be continuous. Even in cricket the players stay on the field unless they are out. NFL like Rugby has too many rules that have to be explained to the crowd because they can't see why a play was stopped.

Saying all that. NFL is worth a watch from time to time. Basketball and baseball are other sports I really have trouble sitting through. So I guess it is what you are used to.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

I have really tried my best to enjoy it but unfortunately cannot get to grips with, too many stoppages for me. The only thing that I think is better than football ( I refuse to call NFL football), is that they seem to know how to treat the fans well.

HatterDon

The NFL is most assuredly overhyped and not worth the price of admission -- even if you're watching it for free. The only thing it guarantees is a lifetime of brain damage and other physical ailments for its participants.

I can't believe that a nation filled with real sport spends any time or money watching the NFL, never mind pretending that London will someday get a franchise.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

It actually is pretty exciting live.  The game is only supposed to last 80 minutes, I think.  It's become a slave to the commercial TV networks.
Nogood "commercials ruined it, isit" Boyo

King_Crud

I enjoy the sport, in fact right now I'm watching some of the highlights from the weekend. But I think the breaks in play are unnecessarily long.

HatterDon

Imagine, if you will, a programme on ITV. With a few words from a sponsor or two, it takes up 48 minutes of your television time.

Imagine, then, 25 years on, a programme on ITV with the same amount of content, but which now runs two hours and 48 minutes.

That's a good NFL televised game analogy. A game used to take up 2.5 hours of a Sunday 30 years or so ago. Now it takes 3.5 hours providing there's no overtime. How much of that extra 60 minutes is actually athletic endeavor? Zippo.

The esteemed Mr. Zippo has the right idea: watch the highlights. 45 minutes of NFL highlights might even be enough to ... naw, I ain't even watching that much.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: HatterDon on November 02, 2015, 10:18:41 PM
Imagine, if you will, a programme on ITV. With a few words from a sponsor or two, it takes up 48 minutes of your television time.

Imagine, then, 25 years on, a programme on ITV with the same amount of content, but which now runs two hours and 48 minutes.

That's a good NFL televised game analogy. A game used to take up 2.5 hours of a Sunday 30 years or so ago. Now it takes 3.5 hours providing there's no overtime. How much of that extra 60 minutes is actually athletic endeavor? Zippo.

The esteemed Mr. Zippo has the right idea: watch the highlights. 45 minutes of NFL highlights might even be enough to ... naw, I ain't even watching that much.

Couldn't have put it better myself, HD.  In my youth, I used to sell TV airtime for Thames TV.  Well, in truth my job involved opening the windows a crack each morning to catch all the cash flying in before slamming it shut at 1700 hrs after a bit of late sales.  We were restricted by law to 7 minutes per clock hour of commercial airtime. 
Nogood "limit the supply to increase the demand, isit" Boyo

Carborundum

Well, each to their own.  Gridiron is a game of staccato events, however long it eventually takes.  Football is more a game of flow and it's been an obsession since the age of six.  In my twenties I lived in Australia for a couple of years and could pick which sport to get interested in.  I chose Aussie Rules and that was because it flows like football, far more than either Rugby code.  It's a brilliant sport to my eyes.

Watching Gridiron would drive me mad, but had I grown up with it, I'd probably be wired up rather differently.  So each to their own.

Rhys Lightning 63

I find the high levels of ignorance here disturbing
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Blanco

I occasionally watch the NCAA. Which is college football. It can be enjoyable to watch but as has been stated before the stoppages are very irritating. I love the NBA.

jarv

Having lived here for years, I find baseball very strategic.  NFL, ;eave me cold. Translation to football....imagine watching Fulham play a whole match of set pieces. Seriously.  Time it yourself (I did) 4 seconds of action, 56 seconds to set up the next set piece. For over 2 hours..... fp.gif

H4usuallysitting

I understand that the (quite useless BBC) have now won the rights to show the NFL live......why couldn't they have bidded for a real game, like Women's Beach Volleyball from Ipanema Beach....politically correct madness i call it

Buffalo76

Quote from: snarks on November 02, 2015, 10:11:49 AM
No I love the game, had season tickets for the 3 wembley games this year. I really enjoy it, it's actually better live than it is on the TV.

I'm with you. Love the game too and was at Wembley for the Bills game. Result aside it was a great day. The Americans certainly know how to do entertainment. I can see people's point with all the stoppages but personally speaking it doesn't spoil my enjoyment, though a few less breaks wouldn't hurt! Definitely better watching a game live. Will definitely keep going back to Wembley for future games. It's also good how fans can just sit together regardless of which team they follow. No bad blood or trouble, just mingling together enjoying the beautiful game. No need for segregation.

HatterDon

Quote from: Buffalo76 on November 03, 2015, 05:50:17 PM

I'm with you. Love the game too and was at Wembley for the Bills game. Result aside it was a great day. The Americans certainly know how to do entertainment. I can see people's point with all the stoppages but personally speaking it doesn't spoil my enjoyment, though a few less breaks wouldn't hurt! Definitely better watching a game live. Will definitely keep going back to Wembley for future games. It's also good how fans can just sit together regardless of which team they follow. No bad blood or trouble, just mingling together enjoying the beautiful game. No need for segregation.

Although you might find this a little less so in Oakland, CA.

Buffalo76

Quote from: HatterDon on November 03, 2015, 06:41:37 PM
Quote from: Buffalo76 on November 03, 2015, 05:50:17 PM

Although you might find this a little less so in Oakland, CA.

Very true!!!

Logicalman

Unfortunately, having grown up with the beautiful game, t/w other flowing games (excluding Cricket of course), watching my first super bowl was excruciating. Sitting in front of the TV for 4 hours watching almost endless commercials, indispersed with a few seconds of 'game play', which was even less than that in reality. Never watched another SB again since.

I do, however, watch College Football, following Ole Miss, though even this is achieved by recording the game, and starting play back approximately 75 minutes after the game commences, then by FF thru the commercials, and HT break, the end of the game almost coincides with the end of me viewing it.

I am still baffled as to how when attending a sports match, so many people prefer to walk around doing anything except actually sitting down and watching it, and just catching the snippets of actual play on monitors. I put it down to purely cultural differences, nothing more, and nothing less, to each their own.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.