watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Craven Cottage, 1931

Started by Scrumpy, August 01, 2010, 02:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

A lovely clip from Pathe here of Corked Hat, Fernie and Peabody knocking a ball about at CC in 1931. It hasn't changed that much!

Best Football Ever Fred Spiksley

:005:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

CorkedHat

Len Oliver looks a bit like my dad did at his age.
For those of you with record books can you tell me when Len Oliver played his last game for Fulham.
I loved the video Mr Scrumpy - those back heels would have sure flummoxed any opposition! :022:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Scrumpy

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 01, 2010, 08:52:01 AM
For those of you with record books can you tell me when Len Oliver played his last game for Fulham.
I loved the video Mr Scrumpy - those back heels would have sure flummoxed any opposition! :022:
Len Oliver, born 1/8/1905, died August 1967. Played for us between 1924 and 1935, captaining the side for 7 of these years. He won an England cap against Belgium in May 1929, even though Fulham were in the Third Division at the time. His final game for us was at The Cottage against Bury on 9th February 1935, in front of 16322 fans (we lost 1-2). He left us to coach at Cliftonville and was a P.E. instructor during the war. After the war he went to live in Letchworth, where he coached local side Arlesley Town.

That's all off the top of my head Corkie, but if you want anything more detailed I would have to look it up. :dft012:

Chopper

That's brilliant. I'd not heard of Fred Spiksley before - love the bit about how to back heel a ball properly, seems neither Oliver or Barrett did it right!
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

TonyGilroy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Spiksley

Long wiki entry on Mr Spiksley.

Former England international and as a coach the Roy Hodgson of his day.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 01, 2010, 12:20:08 PM
Quote from: CorkedHat on August 01, 2010, 08:52:01 AM
Len Oliver, born 1/8/1905, died August 1967. Played for us between 1924 and 1935, captaining the side for 7 of these years. He won an England cap against Belgium in May 1929, even though Fulham were in the Third Division at the time. His final game for us was at The Cottage against Bury on 9th February 1935, in front of 16322 fans (we lost 1-2). He left us to coach at Cliftonville and was a P.E. instructor during the war. After the war he went to live in Letchworth, where he coached local side Arlesley Town.

That's all off the top of my head Corkie, but if you want anything more detailed I would have to look it up. :dft012:

Thanks for that Mr Scrumpy. His name was familiar but obviously I never saw Len Oliver play. My old man must have mentioned him. I remember Len Quested and that's bad enough  :019:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Peabody

Thing is, I never saw Len Oliver play either but I reckon I was in touching difference. My favourite players from the pre war era that I did see play where Ronnie Rooke, Joe Bacuzzi, Harry Freeman, Arthur Stevens, Jim Taylor and Pat Beasley. As for Len Quested, well he went and broke my heart by moving to Huddersfield

Scrumpy

Quote from: Peabody on August 01, 2010, 02:31:25 PM
Thing is, I never saw Len Oliver play either but I reckon I was in touching difference. My favourite players from the pre war era that I did see play where Ronnie Rooke, Joe Bacuzzi, Harry Freeman, Arthur Stevens, Jim Taylor and Pat Beasley. As for Len Quested, well he went and broke my heart by moving to Huddersfield

Blimey Peabody, I had not realised you had been going for that long! So were you in the cowd of 49k against Millwall in 1939? If so, what on earth was that like?

Peabody

You mean 1938, I was born 4 months after that game, so the answer is no I was'nt. My very first game was Sept 1946 against Luton. Which we won 2-1 and of course, I could'nt support any other team after that.

Scrumpy

Ah, OK.

So you're just a babe in arms really.

Steve_orino

Great post, Mr. Scrump.

Suggestion to the mods, can we put a sticky together of all the old videos of CC and see the progression's of it?

Quote from: Peabody on August 01, 2010, 03:52:17 PM
You mean 1938, I was born 4 months after that game, so the answer is no I was'nt. My very first game was Sept 1946 against Luton. Which we won 2-1 and of course, I could'nt support any other team after that.

Mr. Peabody, that post right there is the reason you weren't allowed to walk away from this board.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

LBNo11

...Steve, there is a selection of videos on our facebook page, but that said,  maybe we will put a sticky up or have a tab on the home page, I'll see what the concensus is...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

Great footage...

The surroundings have certainly changed a bit.

Steve_orino

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 02, 2010, 08:23:31 AM
...Steve, there is a selection of videos on our facebook page, but that said,  maybe we will put a sticky up or have a tab on the home page, I'll see what the concensus is...

Ah yes, Facebook, that site and Yahoo (email) are the Home Pages for the Missus.  I'll pop on to FB everyonce in a while to read the musings of Mr. Beamer, gander at photos, and even comment on one of them.

I'll have to go and check the videos out.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09