watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-What Corinthian spirit?

Started by bog, November 10, 2015, 09:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I am sick to death of all the corruption at the top level in sport. Kills the endeavor of those who are still blessed with the Corinthian spirit. We all know which sports and I have wondered for a while why Russia has been getting so many big events to stage. Doesn't take much working out does it.

092.gif

Twig

It is a disgusting tip of an execrable iceberg.  It is very depressing for those of us who love sport and admire high achievers.  Sadly I would put money on China being not far behind Russia and some other lesser countries too.
Of course it is not only athletics and not only drugs. We have cricket betting scandals especially in the Indian subcontinent, cycling mired in drugs and corruption, football in bribery and corruption, motor racing in manipulated finishes, the list is almost endless. All very sad.

love4ffc

The sad thing to me is how countries get away with things by using the "Who me?" line.  Even when they have been caught with their hand in the cookie jar and crumbs on their shirt. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Burt

The report this morning about the athletics made for depressing reading.

Coe needs to stamp his authority on the IAAF before becoming "institutionalized". Unfortunately this will mean a run-in with the relevant bodies in Russia, China and Kenya. And probably a few others too.   

bog

Doping was rife in professional cycling for decades. Tommy Simpson died on the Tour De France because of this. How can we ever forget Tamara Press and all those east German 'ladies' and their athletic records many of which may never ever be beaten. Russia will simply deny any wrong doing. Sickens me, Coe is going to have to behave really strong.

092.gif

nose

Ok, well whilst i tend to think bolt is clean... how come there so many jamaican sprinters doing so well....in comparison with other nations..... i find that hard to believe... there can always be a statistical blip but that does not look right... i have no evidence just wondering.... whereever you see an unexpected sudden improvement, not incremental, then eyebrows should be raised

i love cycling but am not sure that is yet as clean as it professes although i think froome is probably as clean as it can be because he looks human in a way armstrong and others didn't.

I am totally not surprised that this corruption exists, winning is political in countries like russia

bog

If Bolt was found to be a cheat that would be the end of athletics. A few Jamaicans tested positive but never Bolt. That would finish me as I have always loved and admiring top athletes. Stan Eldon running 6 miles at White City stadium....Brain Hewson, Kuts, Peter Radford....Herb Elliot....Anne Packer.... and so many more...

092.gif   

filham

Corruption and bribery in sport is terrible, there really should be some hard justice handed out to those involved.

Makes you look back to the good old days before it all started when there was hardly a whiff of this sort of thing.

When did it all start.

ron

Quote from: filham on November 10, 2015, 05:10:50 PM
Corruption and bribery in sport is terrible, there really should be some hard justice handed out to those involved.

Makes you look back to the good old days before it all started when there was hardly a whiff of this sort of thing.

When did it all start.

It started when average athletes realised they could get large amounts of hero worship by winning by any means....oh yes, and money, I nearly forgot...

..and on the subject of cash, the vast inflow of cash in professional sport, brought about by broadcasting rights and fees, took by surprise all the old duffers and organisers who gained their positions largely when sportsmen earned pennies. They either came up short and incompetent in organisational skills with vast budgets, or, shame on them, decided to milk the system for what they could get.

bog

I think it may have stared with the Nazis. That Kraught twit Hitler was full of propaganda and in 1936 he wanted his Ayrion yoof to win so I think he may have been up to something...then Jesse Owens turned up....

092.gif   

sunburywhite

Quote from: nose on November 10, 2015, 04:35:18 PM
Ok, well whilst i tend to think bolt is clean... how come there so many jamaican sprinters doing so well....in comparison with other nations..... i find that hard to believe... there can always be a statistical blip but that does not look right... i have no evidence just wondering.... whereever you see an unexpected sudden improvement, not incremental, then eyebrows should be raised

i love cycling but am not sure that is yet as clean as it professes although i think froome is probably as clean as it can be because he looks human in a way armstrong and others didn't.

I am totally not surprised that this corruption exists, winning is political in countries like russia

I have always thought exactly the same thing

Cant figure out why the Jamaican coaches are not the highest paid coaches in the world f they are that good
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

epsomraver

Money corrupts, fact of life , Russia have been at it since that " bloke" tamara Press

bog

Now that it has come out that them Kraughts may have bribed their way to the 2006 WC (world cup not water closet) eyebrows were raised at the time as they had held it only in 1974. I wonder about Mexico then. 1970 and then in 1986. Were brown envelopes handed over then? :022:

092.gif