more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (14/11/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 14, 2015, 06:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Goalies' Austria Trip

Last month Academy Goalkeeping Coach Vic Bettinelli took the Club's young stoppers to Austria for a training camp. It's something he's done with up-and-coming goalkeepers for a number of years, so we caught up with him to get his thoughts on the trip.

It first came about around 15 years ago when I was working with Crystal Palace's first-team goalkeepers, Matt Clarke, Alex Kolinko, and Cedric Carrasso. Matt had been out injured with his knee, Alex was getting used to English football, and Cedric had just come over from France and was quite heavy. So I said to the boys that they need to come back a week before everyone else, and then we went to a place called Woodbury Park down in Exeter, which was Nigel Mansell's big complex. We took the goalkeepers for a week's training, played a bit of golf and had some fun, but we worked really hard.

What tends to happen in football clubs is the goalkeepers come back for pre-season, do their training, but then normally end up playing fixtures against lesser opposition. So the outfield players have loads of touches of the ball, get all their patterns right, but the goalies don't really see it. The next thing you know, you go into the season and it might take you three of four games before you're ready for it, so you're not up to the match tempo.

That was the reason why I started it. Then about eight years ago here we started taking the two brand new scholars who were coming in, along with the two second years. We ended up coming back a week before everyone else and we'd go to a place called Obertraun in Upper Austria, an hour outside Salzburg. Funnily enough, David Stockdale came along in his first year. Then about five years ago I said to Huw [Jennings] that it would be good to do the same thing with the young boys, from the age of 12 all the way to Under-16.

We go in October and normally spend four or five nights there. Myself and [Under-21 Goalkeeping Coach] Geoff Warne go and we take all the keepers that are affiliated to the Academy, so this year we had 10. We do lots of training on the grass, we do lots of basketball, volleyball – it's a lot of agility stuff, lots of team-orientated activities. We sit down and talk to them about what their aims are, their pathway forward, and it's a real week of a goalkeeping camp. I think you learn a lot about the goalkeepers when you're there, not only physically but mentally. They're doing two sessions a day, up at 8 o'clock in the morning for breakfast, we then go and train on the football pitches, in the afternoon we might do other sports, and it's just a real good week away.

What do we hope to achieve while we're out there? Obviously improving their technical ability, but also improving their knowledge of goalkeeping in terms of how they act, how they become young professional footballers. Maybe the Under-16 goalie is buddied up with the Under-12 goalie and he tells him what is and isn't good for him, so they become role models for them.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/14/goalies-austria-trip?

WhiteJC

Under-18s Host Spurs

Fulham Under-18s will be looking to build on last week's impressive result when they welcome Tottenham Hotspur to Motspur Park on Saturday (11am).

The Whites thumped Leicester City 6-1 last time out to move above Spurs on goal difference in the Barclays U18 Premier League. Steve Wigley's boys now occupy seventh spot in the standings, and could move up a place with a draw or win at the weekend.

Tottenham have an identical record to Fulham so far this season, having won five, drawn two and lost six of their matches played so far.

Most recently they defeated London rivals West Ham United 2-1 at Hotspur Way, with both goals coming from defenders - Jon Dinzeyi and Jaden Brown were the men on target.

The two sides have already met this season in North London, when goals from Josh Walker, Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson and Stephen Humphrys earned the Whites an impressive 3-0 win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/13/under-18s-host-spurs?

WhiteJC

Mousa Dembele responds to Moussa Dembele transfer rumours

Tottenham's Mousa Dembele and Fulham's Moussa Dembele

Tottenham's Mousa Dembele has sent a message to his club over their reported attempts to sign Fulham's Moussa Dembele.

Spurs have been linked with a January move for the Fulham forward, who has scored seven goals and added two asssists in 16 Championship appearances this season.

The 19-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and could be sold if the Cottagers fail to reach an agreement with him.

Tottenham are considered the frontrunners in the race to snap up the young Frenchman, but they already have a Dembele in their ranks in 28-year-old Mousa.

The midfielder is currently on international duty with Belgium, and when asked by Belgian news outlet HLN about Spurs' pursuit of his namesake the older Dembele came up with a brilliant response.

"There's only one Mousa Dembele" the Tottenham man replied.

Mousa has been in fine form for Spurs this season after a couple of years in and out of the side.

He has scored twice in nine Premier League games and has formed an impressive midfield trio with Dele Alli and Eric Dier.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/mousa_dembele_responds_to_moussa_dembele_transfer_rumours_1_4310143
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper ruled out for a month

Joronen is helped off by physio Paul Dando (Pic: Alan Millard)

FULHAM goalkeeper Jesse Joronen has been ruled out for at least a month with a thigh injury.

The Finnish custodian, who has been playing on loan at Stevenage since the end of August, picked up the injury in the FA Cup match against Gillingham last week.

Boro boss Teddy Sheringham said the injury takes the Finn up to the end of his loan spell.

However, he has been impressed with the goalkeeper and hopes to complete a deal so he can stay at the Hertfordshire club until the end of the season.

Sheringham said: "It could be four, five or six weeks which takes him up to the end of his loan, which is a shame for us. I really like Jesse, I think he's a fantastic young goalkeeper.

"He has brought a certain calmness to our team, don't think you could pick any goals and say he's at fault for, not blatantly, could have done better with a couple. Not that you could say 'Jeez Jesse you should have done better with that'.

"We are here for him to progress. He works very hard with Dmitri [Kharine] day in, day out. I would like to see him back here until the end of the season really. That would do him the world of good to get him more games, and show Fulham exactly what he can do."

Joronen picked up the injury when he took a goal kick.

Stevenage visit bottom club Yeovil tomorrow (Saturday November 14).

Read more: http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Fulham-keeper-ruled-month/story-28168868-detail/story.html#ixzz3rRdU89MN
Follow us: @HertsMercury on Twitter

WhiteJC

Gary Rowett on Fulham's Shortlist

Fulham have placed Gary Rowett on shortlist to replace Kit Symons as manager. The Craven Cottage club are reportedly interested in five managers, one being ex-Blues player Alan Curbishley.

The progress Blues have made under Rowett hasn`t gone unrecognised in the football world and Rowett`s stock remains very high. But reading between the lines, the Blues boss seems happy at St. Andrew`s. Having said that, Rowett`s contract is a 12-month rolling deal so now is the time for Panos Pavlakis and the Blues hierarchy to put a new long term deal in front of his nose.

Blues are by no means amongst the financial big boys of the Championship and in football, as in most walks of like, money talks. And regardless of other clubs being interested in Rowett, his efforts deserve a new deal.

Nigel Pearson and Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink remain the bookmakers favourites so Blues fans need not panic yet. However, things can change drastically in football, so Pavlakis must not rest on his laurels.

Top five 'shortest odds` for vacant Fulham job
Nigel Pearson 5/2
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 2/1
Alan Curbishley 8/1
Harry Redknapp 7/1
Slavisa Jokanovic 10/1

Outsiders for vacant Fulham job
Paul Lambert 16/1
Gary Rowett 20/1
Alex McLeish 25/1
Lee Clark 33/1
Paulo Di Canio 66/1

Source: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/fulham/next-permanent-manager

Read more: http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=421639#ixzz3rRdp5OAH

WhiteJC

Fulham defender's loan move on hold until new boss in place

Kav has to wait for new Whites manager

Goal! Sean Kavanagh scores against Norwich

Kit Symons wasn't the only Fulham casualty this week.

The former Whites boss was finalising details of a loan move for out-of-favour Sean Kavanagh when summoned on Sunday and told he was no longer needed.

It means the 21-year-old defender will have to cool his heels a little longer before getting games at a League One or Two club.

Kavanagh has been starved of chances by a combination of James Husband and Luke Garbutt down Fulham's left. And despite 23 appearances last term and a match winner against Norwich in October, 2014, the Irishman has yet to feature this term.

Symons said before his exit: "I spoke to Kav; spoke to his agent. if we get the right club where it's good for him to go. We have to be careful, because it's a minimum 28 days before you can call them back.

"It's a case of taking educated gambles when we let players out - as with all others."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defenders-loan-move-hold-10439297?

WhiteJC

TSF Newsbeat: Shahid Khan, Roy Keane, US Soccer

Fulham sacked manager Kit Symons after the 5-2 home defeat by Birmingham City on Saturday, which left the club in 12th place in the Championship.

I said at the time that it was a huge mistake to appoint a panel of five people to choose Fulham's next manager and that has been borne out.

In 2014, the club chose Danny Murphy, Brian McBride, former Sunderland player and chairman Niall Quinn, academy director Huw Jennings and a Fulham fan and Nike director, David Daly, to pick the best candidate for the job.

After much deliberation, they settled on the man who was already in temporary charge of the team, Kit Symons. Bold.

I found the make-up of that panel embarrassing, with the exception of Quinn, who at least had some experience in the field of appointing managers.

Allow me to tell you one of the fundamental rules of running a football club off the pitch.

It's actually on page one of the manual: "Hire the best person available to do one specific job, whatever that job is."

Football clubs need a hierarchy with a supreme leader at the top, not the bloody "Dave Clark Five".

And – surprise, surprise – Fulham now find themselves in the position of having to appoint yet another manager.

This time, it will be the choice of one man, Mike Rigg, the club's chief football officer.

And, this time, it will be interesting to see whether billionaire owner Shahid Khan, who also owns the NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars, makes a decisive decision for himself other than stripping out costs and halving the wage bill.

The club will be looking for a manager who doesn't spend any money and gets promoted with half a squad. Or as it's known in football, a miracle worker.

That's why it was a surprise to me that Steve Bruce, the Hull City manager, had been initially mentioned among the list of possible replacements.

Bruce likes a couple of big signings and isn't adverse to paying his players a very fair wage, either.

Unless Khan has totally changed his business principles of cutting costs, then it's hard to see how this is the right job for Bruce.

Fulham need a manager who can extract maximum results out of their players for minimal outlay.

That's fine if, as a manager, you look at the squad and truly believe that the group of players are underperforming.

And for my money, I really don't think they are.

I think that Fulham need new players. Not necessarily expensive players but hungry players.

They may be old, they may be young, they may have been overlooked or they may want one last hurrah.

Yet whatever their motives, they have to be hungry to succeed. At the moment, I don't see that from the current crop of players at Craven Cottage.

With that in mind, I think that Fulham will have at least three more managers before they make any kind of impression on promotion back to the Premier League.

Whoever takes it, this job is truly a thankless one.

Read more at http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/tsf-diary/29317/tsf-newsbeat-shahid-khan-roy-keane-us-soccer/#LpwBYD5jORH4sb35.99

WhiteJC

The Chairman's Club

Take a look at this short video on what is on offer at the Chairman's Club at Craven Cottage. A truly unique matchday experience awaits.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/13/chairmans-club?

WhiteJC

Opinion: Gary Rowett wouldn't move to Fulham, would he?

In the past few days, rumours have been circling suggesting that Blues boss Gary Rowett could potentially be on a five man short list for the Fulham job.

Following their 5-2 defeat to Rowett's Birmingham, the Cottagers sacked their manager, Kit Symons, and now they want our man to take over the reigns.

However, it is believed that should an approach come from Fulham that they are most likely going to be told to put their proposal where the sun doesn't shine.

That news will come as a relief to all Blues fans, myself included! Previously, I have identified that Fulham could be a potential threat should they ever come knocking on the door asking questions about Rowett and now it looks as though they might be starting to knock a little louder.

Although it has been well documented that the former Burton Albion boss isn't going anywhere, a club was always likely to ask questions about his availability because of the fantastic work that he has done at Birmingham City.

The Bromsgrove born, former Premier League defender, has just passed the year mark at the Blues helm and many fans and people associated with the club will be hoping that there are still a few more years to come.

In all honesty, I think that if Blues fail to get promoted this year then there will be a whole host of clubs looking to acquire the services of Rowett because of what he has done with such a small budget.

For Christ sake, imagine what he could do if he had some money behind him! I mean some real money, not the few hundred thousand we spent in the summer, even though it was nice to see us spending money.

I think if he was financially backed, Rowett could get us to win the league, which would be a fantastic achievement looking back at where we were when he first took over.

Joining Rowett on the short list for the Fulham job is former Watford boss Slavisa Jokanovic, Paul Lambert, who has also been linked with a move to Blackburn Rovers, Nigel Pearson and current Rangers manager Mark Warburton.

Out of those, the person who I think would suit the Fulham role is former Watford boss, Jokanovic for the pure fact that he has Championship experience and he previously got the Hornets promoted, and that is something that the Cottagers owners want.

Blues fans, are you worried about these rumours? Do you think there is any truth in them? Let us know in the comment section down below!

Read more: http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=421647#ixzz3rRg22Enz

WhiteJC

Paul Lambert mulling over future with Blackburn, Fulham and QPR jobs all vacant

The ex-Scotland midfielder has been out of work since leaving Aston Villa but he now looks set for a return

Back to action: Lambert is set to return to football

Paul Lambert will spend the weekend mulling over his future in Germany as he plots a return to management.

The ex-Borussia Dortmund midfielder, 46, is looking to return to the dug-out after being sacked by Aston Villa in February.

The Scot is on the short-list for vacant jobs at Blackburn, Fulham and QPR.

He is hot favourite for the post at Ewood Park after Gary Bowyer left with Rovers 16th in the Championship.

Lambert kept Villa in the top-flight for two seasons and signed Christian Benteke despite cut-backs by owner Randy Lerner.

Prior to that he guided Norwich to two successive promotions and kept them up.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-lambert-mulling-over-future-6826558?

WhiteJC

Tickets selling out for the Away Derby with Fulham

Become a Club Member to avoid missing our game at Craven Cottage

Tickets for our away fixture against our local rivals are selling fast. Over 3,300 Brentford fans have already secured their tickets for the game making sure The Bees will receive a great support at Craven Cottage.

Tickets are exclusively on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Club Members. So don't miss out, why not become a Club Member to be able to secure your seats today. Tickets are available for both Adult and Junior Members and by signing up your child today, your young bee will also receive a Welcome Pack with some great gifts – for only £5.

Don't forget, as an Adult Member, you'll also receive £5 off your own home league match tickets to watch The Bees at Griffin Park throughout the remainder of the season.

Find out more about our Club Membership and join today to secure your tickets for Fulham v Brentford on Saturday 12 December.

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/brentford-fulham-sky-bet-championship-2800506.aspx#6baYijHqoliYRrFM.99

WhiteJC

Christmas Store

The Christmas store is now open online with a whole host of exciting gifts for your Whites family and friends!

To mark the opening of the range, from today until 9am on Tuesday 17th November fans can start their Christmas shopping early by taking advantage of 20% off all adult and junior home shirts, including mini-kits.

The 2015/16 home shirt has proved one of the most popular FFC shirts in recent years, with a design inspired by the 1975 FA Cup Final strip.

Personalised versions of the home shirt are also available to purchase, where you can either choose the name of your Fulham favourite or even the name of your recipient.

With the store open and 20% off, what better excuse to get organised, beat the rush and get a head start on your Christmas shopping?

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/13/christmas-store?

WhiteJC

Paul Lambert poised to take Blackburn job
Lambert has turned down approaches from two other Championship clubs, Queens Park Rangers and Fulham, and is understood to favour Blackburn

Working it out: Lambert has also attracted interest from QPR and Fulham Photo: Getty

Paul Lambert is poised to end his exile from management next week by taking over at Championship club Blackburn Rovers.

Lambert, the former Aston Villa manager, is giving serious consideration to the position at Ewood Park despite approaches from two other Championship clubs, Queens Park Rangers and Fulham.

The 46-year-old held talks with Les Ferdinand, the QPR director of football, this week and has also been sounded out by Fulham. But he is understood to favour the Blackburn job and is expected to hold further talks with the club early next week.

Lambert has flown to Germany this weekend for a pre-arranged break and will spend the next 48 hours considering his next move.

Rovers sacked Gary Bowyer on Tuesday and have targeted a manager who has been promoted out of the Championship.

Lambert guided Norwich City to successive promotions in 2010 and 2011 and those achievements appeal to Venky's, the Blackburn owners.

The Scot has been out of management since his dismissal from Villa in February. Before Norwich he managed Colchester United and Wycombe Wanderers, having started out at Scottish club Livingston.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11995193/Paul-Lambert-poised-to-take-Blackburn-job.html

WhiteJC

Ream, Yedlin, Wood, Zardes start 1st US WCup qualifier

ST. LOUIS
Tim Ream, DeAndre Yedlin, Bobby Wood and Gyasi Zardes were set to make their first World Cup qualifying starts for the United States, which began the road to Russia against St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Goalkeeper Brad Guzan started Friday night's game at Busch Stadium. Coach Jurgen Klinsmann said Thursday that Tim Howard likely will be in goal for Tuesday's qualifier at Trinidad and Tobago.

Klinsmann kept just four starters from last month's exhibition loss to Costa Rica: Geoff Cameron in central defense, Ream at left back, and Jermaine Jones and Zardes in midfield.

Yedlin was at right back and Matt Besler joined Cameron in the middle of the back line. Captain Michael Bradley and Fabian Johnson were in the midfield, and Wood and Jozy Altidore up front.

Winslow McDowall started in goal for St. Vincent and defender Kevin Francis wass the captain. Other starters included defenders Roy Richards, Million Prescott and Reginal Richardson; midfielders Nazir McBernette, Dorren Hamlet and Seinard Bowens; and forwards Oalex Anderson, Tevin Slater and Gavin James.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/article44806413.html#storylink=cpy