watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Escape to Victory

Started by SP, November 16, 2015, 08:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Watched this on TCM over the weekend & it wasn't as bad as I remember, plenty of wooden acting by the retired pros & actors alike.  Memory could be clouded but Bobby Moore (Terry) scores for the Allies in what looks similar to his only effort for Fulham v Orient in 1977?

:023:

Rhys Lightning 63

As someone born in 1992 and thus far too young for this film, I only watched it for the first time last year.

It was also the first time I'd ever heard Bobby Moore speak, it was weird.

Overall though, great film (apart from when Hatch gets to Paris, it kinda slows down at that point)
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

bog

I like this film as we can see Bobby once again. Did you know that Sylvester Stallone was in goal and a shot from Pele was so hard he dislocated his finger and this si why he has a disfigured finger?

Thank you and good night   

092.gif

Blanco

I saw this film as I am a Sylvester Stallone fan. My favourite quote:

"Take em round back, scrub em. Take off what they´re wearing and burn it."

cmg

One of those movies which is so bad it becomes compelling viewing. Fabulous entertainment despite many ludicrous plot devices.
I always felt sorry for the French Resistance who risked death and laboured hard to dig the escape tunnel only to have the lads turn down the chance to get away in favour of returning for the second-half inspired by Russel Osmond's immortal words, "Hang about lads, we can still win this!"

The football scenes, despite Stallone proving his goalkeeping ability to be right up there with his acting talent, are quite convincing - as well they might be with the talent on view. The coach for the football scenes was Les Shannon, a highly respected manager and coach in England and Greece.

The POW team was: Stallone; Paul Van Himst (an interesting position for Belgium's top goalscorer), Co Prince, Bobby Moore, Michael Caine; Ossie Ardillas, Russel Osman, Soren Linsted, John Wark; Mike Summerbee, Pele.
Poland's superb Kasimierz Denya was a sub.

Dr Know

Quote from: SP on November 16, 2015, 08:20:24 PM
Watched this on TCM over the weekend & it wasn't as bad as I remember, plenty of wooden acting by the retired pros & actors alike.  Memory could be clouded but Bobby Moore (Terry) scores for the Allies in what looks similar to his only effort for Fulham v Orient in 1977?

:023:
Bobby moore scored his only goal for ffc on good friday 12th april 1974  v c palace

MJG

Especially good is the pitch invasion at the end with the extras wearing late 70's clothing

Carborundum

A film that captured my imagination as a boy.  I loved football, reading WW2 escape stories and going to the movies.  What's not to like?

Well, it's simultaneously an awful film and a joy to watch.  Imagine taking your favourite meal.  Say, prawn cocktail, steak and chips, then Black Forest gateau (yes, I'm a child of the seventies).  Chuck them all in the blender, whizz away and try chugging it down.   It dawned on me that some things are not made to go together.  But for those familiar with the Ipswich team of the late seventies it was also an i-Spy spotters treat.  Roughly half the squad made it onto celluloid one way or another.

Reading the comments above made me chuckle, particularly the Russell Osman line, the delivery of which is surely amongst the most wooden in cinema history.  

If you haven't seen it and are tempted, then Shakespeare's advice is relevant:  Mark this well for we may not see it's like again.

Forever Fulham

I thought it was just titled, "Victory".  I best remember the close up shot of the face of the incomparable Max von Sydow when Pele does that bicycle kick goal.   You got the feeling that at that moment in time, the war didn't matter to him (if it ever did).  Rather, this was what moved his character, what really resonated with  him.  A quiet love for the sport, and appreciation for the triumph of individual achievement.  Yeah, I know.  It's a lot to read into a brief moment in a movie.  Such an improbable story.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Forever Fulham on November 16, 2015, 11:54:00 PM
I thought it was just titled, "Victory".  I best remember the close up shot of the face of the incomparable Max von Sydow when Pele does that bicycle kick goal.   You got the feeling that at that moment in time, the war didn't matter to him (if it ever did).  Rather, this was what moved his character, what really resonated with  him.  A quiet love for the sport, and appreciation for the triumph of individual achievement.  Yeah, I know.  It's a lot to read into a brief moment in a movie.  Such an improbable story.

I think it's called 'Victory' in the US market (for reasons unbenonced to me). Similar to it being Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, rather than Philosipher's Stone
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense