watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sad story of Jimmy Hill

Started by Fulham Joe, November 20, 2015, 12:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

As mentioned a sad ending, not least for his wife whom one has to admire enormously. AD really is a cruel disorder, not least as it affects the nearest and dearest the most.

However the article does describe a life well lived by an extraordinary human being.

Snibbo

KiwiWhite

This news has sent a shiver through my Body

About 12 years ago my Mum was struck down with Dementure. We Sold her House and built a granny flat extension to our home.
She continued to with us with us for the next 5/6 years or so until she died. I remember when I went to the registry Office to collect her death certificate. It Stated "cause of death...DEMENTURE. I questioned this with the Coriner. and she explained
That the brain was no able to function enough to keep her alive. Basically she had forgotten how to live.

It is also a disease that is often passed on.

A year ago I was diagnosed with an early onset of Dementure. I am not allowed to drive is very upsetting I Live in a country that is so beautiful but I'm not able to jump in the car and see much of it. 1500.gif

I didn't mean to rant on this long...............Blame it on my Brain!!!!!!

RaySmith

Sad news.

Jimmy is definitely a true Fulham legend and hero.

Allestree andy

really sad news i saw jimmy play when i was a nipper, he came up to me ruffled my hair while i had the ball, in the old riverside when you could walk around, good player,all round good egg, best wishes to his wife.
To the limit and beyond

Lighthouse

Cruel decline for anybody to have to suffer or witness. A great character in the game and in broadcasting. I hope he and his family are having all the support they can.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

His influence is much broader than people give him credit for...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zqvtn39

epsomraver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 20, 2015, 04:11:49 AM
Very very sad indeed, like a lot of you, I was most fortunate to watch him in his playing days, playing for mighty Fulham FC.
He is a genuine Fulham Legend, and should be acknowledge by the Club in some way.
Perhaps naming one of the function rooms after him, or something similar.
0001.jpeg without him there would be no Fulham

bog

There is no doubt that Jimmy did a lot for the game and also Fulham. I will never forget Good Friday 1959. Home to the league leaders Sheff Weds and we were second, winning 3-2 with about 20mins to go and then Jimmy rattles in a hat-trick and we win 6-2. Then there was the 5 in an 6-1 away win at Doncaster. I prefer to think of Jimmy playing. Good luck to Jimmy and his family.

092.gif     

hovewhite

A true Gent and we all should be grateful to this Fulham legend !

SG

He is in a home just around the corner from where we live. Saw him out walking with his wife the other week. I regret to say he is a sorry sight and unrecognisable from the player or person I have seen at first hand and met over the years. Thanks Jimmy for all you did to rescue our club from the Clay and Bulstrode era.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I'm very sad to read this.
Jimmy Hill did so many good things in life and football.
Often mocked in jest for his chin and beard he took it in his stride and plowed on.

He more than anyone deserves a statue at CC and perhaps at the FA or that UK training
center near Stoke.

A legend in the true sense of the word and not just with and for Fulham
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

RaySmith

He influenced the modern game in so many ways - broke the maximum wage barrier as PFA Chairman. making a player called Johnny Haynes the first 100 pound a week player; advocated  3 points for a win; important in TV coverage of the game, when there had been hardly any, and many other things - football owes him big time for its present huge status and earning power.

And, as Fulham fans, he holds a special place in our hearts as a swashbuckling player, and for his efforts in the club's hour of need, when he was instrumental in there still being a Fulham for us to support.

Carborundum

Agree with all that has been said above.  I'll add one thing.  These days there is football coming at us in the media from hundreds of sources.  But when I was a child there was Match of the Day and not a lot else.  With Jimmy Hill.  His enthusiasm, common sense and sheer reasonableness were the lens through which I learned to interpret what was going on.  Didn't know it at the time, but am very grateful for it now.

What a fine man.

SP

Would be great to hear a song for Jimmy tomorrow.

filham

You know like a lot of old timers on this board my all time Fulham favourite is the magnificent Johnny Haynes, many of us have idolised him for over half a century.

It has been niggling away at the back of my mind for a long time now that in focusing on the merits of Johnny we have badly neglected Jimmy Hill who has done so much for Fulham and football in general, yes much more than Haynes.

Those who saw Jimmy play for Fulham will remember his enthusiasm and entertainment value as second to none. In one match a reporter said " Hill was magnificent , he was all over the pitch ,you didn't know where he would turn up next " Haynes, possibly a little peeved that Jimmy wasn't sticking to the game plan, was quick to respond with " If you find out perhaps you could let us know" .

But we Fulham fans have an eternal debt of gratitude to Jimmy for the ten years he was our Chairman. We all know that but for his effort during those troubled times we would no longer have a club. At the best we would have had a few years at Loftus Road playing under the name of Fulham Park Rangers. The Cottage would have become blocks of expensive riverside flats.

Away from Fulham Jimmy did so much for Football that benefitted the nation as a whole.

Andy S

I totally agree with all the above comments. a true legend in every sense.

cottage expat

Quote from: filham on November 20, 2015, 09:06:48 PM
You know like a lot of old timers on this board my all time Fulham favourite is the magnificent Johnny Haynes, many of us have idolised him for over half a century.

It has been niggling away at the back of my mind for a long time now that in focusing on the merits of Johnny we have badly neglected Jimmy Hill who has done so much for Fulham and football in general, yes much more than Haynes.

Those who saw Jimmy play for Fulham will remember his enthusiasm and entertainment value as second to none. In one match a reporter said " Hill was magnificent , he was all over the pitch ,you didn't know where he would turn up next " Haynes, possibly a little peeved that Jimmy wasn't sticking to the game plan, was quick to respond with " If you find out perhaps you could let us know" .

But we Fulham fans have an eternal debt of gratitude to Jimmy for the ten years he was our Chairman. We all know that but for his effort during those troubled times we would no longer have a club. At the best we would have had a few years at Loftus Road playing under the name of Fulham Park Rangers. The Cottage would have become blocks of expensive riverside flats.

Away from Fulham Jimmy did so much for Football that benefitted the nation as a whole.

+ 100%. His contributions, both as a player and chairman , were enormous. A true Fulham legend.