more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (22/11/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 22, 2015, 07:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Moussa Dembele named Football League Young Player of the Month

Fulham striker Moussa Dembele has been named The Football League's Young Player of the Month for October.
Having represented France at various youth levels, the current under-20 international had a stand-out month in the Sky Bet Championship, scoring five goals as the Whites went unbeaten in October.

Dembele, 19, scored in a 1-1 draw with Leeds United before firing braces in the back-to-back wins over Reading and Bristol City.

Since joining Fulham from Paris Saint-Germain in 2012, Dembele has progressed in the club's Academy programme in successive seasons.

After a handful of first-team appearances in 2014/15, the young Frenchman has cemented his place in the senior squad this term registering eight goals in league and cup to date.

On collecting The Football League's Young Player of the Month Award, which covers players that play in all three divisions of the Sky Bet Football League, Dembele said: "I feel very happy to win this trophy but it is just the beginning.

"I need to keep going, keep doing what I am doing and keep impressing everyone.

"For a young player it is good to have a run in the first team and know that people around you believe in you. That's what happened.

"I took my chances and I'm very pleased with that. I am still young and still learning the game. It is a good trophy but hopefully there is more to come."

Huw Jennings, Fulham's Academy Director welcomed the award and praised the young goalscorer, saying: "I'm delighted for Moussa. He's come into the team and he's taken his chance. He's scoring goals, he's looking confident and he has got a bright future ahead of him.

"It is the first time he's had a run of any significance in the team. Like all young players, they want to feel like there is a sense of belonging in the team and they feel as though they are going to be supported and backed.

"Hopefully he can move on from this solid base and demonstrate he can go on and be a very good player for us for the future."

Each season, Football League clubs invest more than £60m on identifying, training and educating the next generation of football talent.

There are 8,500 young players between the ages of 8 and 18 registered with League clubs, making Football League Youth Development the largest centrally co-ordinated young player programme in world football. Over 200 players aged 21 or under make their professional debuts for Football League clubs each season.

Commenting on Dembele's award, David Wetherall, Head of Youth Development at The Football League, said: "To score regularly in the Championship at just 19 years of age suggests Moussa has the talent to go far, and with the right application there is no reason why he can't go on and have a very successful career in the game.

"Fulham have an excellent track record of bringing young players in to the first team and Moussa's form this season exemplifies just how valuable youth development is to clubs throughout The Football League."

Each month the accolade is awarded by The Football League to the young player who has made the most significant contribution and impact in first team football.

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/moussa-dembele-named-football-league-young-player-of-the-month-2810446.aspx#IyFLTD7IkGBACoiv.99

WhiteJC

Moussa Dembele: Swapping PSG for Fulham and making his mark

When French striker Moussa Dembele swapped Paris St-Germain for Fulham's youth academy in summer 2012, a few eyebrows were raised.

But the west London club, then in the Premier League, knew they were on to something special.

"When Moussa was 16 there was no doubt he possessed all the raw ingredients you look for in a striker," Fulham academy director Huw Jennings told BBC Sport.

"He's got pace and power, he can finish, use both feet and he is good in the air. He has got good intelligence.

"What stood out for me was not only what you could see on the pitch but I felt a calmness and assuredness off the pitch.

"It is not easy coming across from a foreign country at a young age and the thing Moussa has had to demonstrate more than any others is resilience."

The 19-year-old's promise is starting to be realised - he has been named as the Football League's Young Player of the Month for October.

Taking his chance
Dembele's hero growing up was Brazil forward Ronaldinho but, despite spending eight years in the youth ranks at PSG, he felt his future lay away from the Parc des Princes after Qatari investors took over the Ligue 1 club.

The teenager has had to be patient while waiting for a regular place in Fulham's first XI, starting just three league games before this season, but he has been an ever-present for the Cottagers since late August.

His run in the side was rewarded with five goals in three games in October. Starting with a solo effort in the draw with Leeds, Dembele then hit braces in Fulham's victories over Reading and Bristol City.

Dembele has struck up an impressive partnership with Ross McCormack at Craven Cottage

"I thought that I would get my chance at Fulham," Dembele told BBC Sport.

"For a young player it is good to have a run in the first team and know that people around you believe in you. That's what happened and I took my chances."

'We need to keep our heads up'
While coming through the Fulham academy, Dembele has been a regular for France at youth international level, featuring from every age group from the under-16s and making his debut for the under-20s this season.

He was in France with the U20s, preparing for a game against England, when the news of the Paris attacks in which 130 people died broke.

"We were watching the France-Germany game, we changed the channel and we saw it," he said. "Everyone was shocked about what happened and couldn't believe it - but it was true. Straight away I called my family to check everyone was safe."

Dembele has been impressed with how football has reacted to the events, particularly the mass singing of the French national anthem La Marseillaise at Wembley before Tuesday's England-France friendly.

"All the country was devastated," Dembele, who was born in the Pontoise suburb of the French capital, added.

"It is very hard for us, but it is life. We need to keep our heads up.

"It was good solidarity from the Football Association and the English people. They reacted well and it was kind of them to do what they did."

A departed mentor
One man who played a role in Dembele's development at Fulham was Kit Symons, who coached him in the youth ranks and integrated him into the first-team squad after being appointed manager in September 2014.

"My time in the academy was very good. That's why I am where I am today," Dembele said.

"I knew Kit for a long time, from the under-21s to the first team. He gave all the young players good advice to learn the game quickly and progress."

Kit Symons worked with Dembele at under-21 and first-team level, but was sacked by Fulham this month

Symons was sacked by Fulham earlier this month, leaving Dembele with another challenge - to impress whomever replaces the Welshman.

"Kit was very important in Moussa's development," Jennings added.

"He was an excellent mentor to many of the young players in the academy, but his era is finished. Everyone has to move on and that is the reality in football.

"At the moment it is a transition period for the club. Now it is Moussa's responsibility to impress a new team of people coming in who will hopefully see his talents in the same way Kit did."

Fulham, who are currently 12th in the Championship and travel to MK Dons on Saturday, are keen to tie Dembele to a longer deal, while the player himself is eager to make sure he builds on winning the Football League's award.

"I feel very happy to win this trophy but it is just the beginning," he said. "I am still young and still learning the game. I need to keep going, keep producing what I am doing and keep impressing everyone.

"Hopefully there is more to come."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34871388

WhiteJC

Dembélé's Award

Moussa Dembélé has been named The Football League's Young Player of the Month for October. The award covers players that play in all three divisions of the Sky Bet Football League.

Having represented France at various youth levels, the current Under-20 international had a standout month in the Sky Bet Championship, scoring five goals as the Whites went unbeaten in October.

Dembélé scored in a 1-1 draw with Leeds United before firing braces in the back to back wins over Reading and Bristol City, taking his tally to eight for the season.

On collecting The Football League's Young Player of the Month Award for October, Dembélé said: "I feel very happy to win this trophy but it is just the beginning. I need to keep going, keep doing what I am doing and keep impressing everyone.

"For a young player it is good to have a run in the first team and know that people around you believe in you. That's what happened.

"I took my chances and I'm very pleased with that. I am still young and still learning the game. It is a good trophy but hopefully there is more to come."

Huw Jennings, Fulham's Academy Director, welcomed the award and praised the young goalscorer: "I'm delighted for Moussa. He's come into the team and he's taken his chance. He's scoring goals, he's looking confident and he has got a bright future ahead of him.

"It is the first time he's had a run of any significance in the team. Like all young players, they want to feel like there is a sense of belonging in the team and they feel as though they are going to be supported and backed.

"Hopefully he can move on from this solid base and demonstrate he can go on and be a very good player for us for the future."

Each season, Football League clubs invest more than £60m on identifying, training and educating the next generation of football talent.

There are 8,500 young players between the ages of 8 and 18 registered with League clubs, making Football League Youth Development the largest centrally co-ordinated young player programme in world football.

Over 200 players aged 21 or under make their professional debuts for Football League clubs each season.

Commenting on Dembélé's award, David Wetherall, Head of Youth Development at The Football League, said: "To score regularly in the Championship at just nineteen years of age suggests Moussa has the talent to go far, and with the right application there is no reason why he can't go on and have a very successful career in the game.

"Fulham have an excellent track record of bringing young players in to the first team and Moussa's form this season exemplifies just how valuable youth development is to clubs throughout The Football League."

Each month the accolade is awarded by The Football League to the young player who has made the most significant contribution and impact in first team football.

For more information on the award and each month's winner visit www.football-league.co.uk.

Dembélé's next outing could be this afternoon against MK Dons. The game will be preceded by a minute's silence in respect of Armed Forces Day, as well as in memory of those who lost their lives in Paris last week.

The youngster was away on international duty in his native France when news of the terror attacks broke on Friday night.

"We were all shocked about it," he said. "It was the evening before the [Under-20] game against England so we were watching the match between the senior France team and Germany and we heard the noise during the game.

"We didn't really know what had happened so at half-time we put the news on and we saw everything that was going on.

"All my family lives in Paris, I'm the only one who doesn't live there, but they're based about 15 minutes from the centre so everyone was fine, no-one was in trouble."

There was poignant moment prior to the match between the senior England and France teams at Wembley on Tuesday, as fans of both nations joined in with the singing of La Marseillaise, something that Dembélé said was "very, very kind of England and the FA to do that for the French people and for France."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/21/dembeles-award?

WhiteJC

Moussa Dembele equaliser denies MK Dons victory over Fulham

Dean Bowditch's clinical finish was cancelled out by Moussa Dembele as MK Dons earned a point against Fulham, and it could have been more.

Bowditch brilliant put the Dons in front at a chilly stadiummk and could have made it two before Dembele's equaliser.

The point sees Karl Robinson's men drop into the Championship relegation places in their first game since the international break.

Before kick-off a minute's silence was impeccably observed to remember those who have lost their lives in the Armed Forces and the recent tragic events in Paris.

Bowditch threatened early on as he worked himself some space and forced Joe Lewis to tip his long-range shot over the bar.

Lewis was at Fulham's rescue again moments later as he dived to parry away Josh Murphy's effort from a similar area.

Somehow the visitors didn't take the lead when Moussa Dembele missed an open goal from two yards out after Ross McCormack's loss cross.

Dons boss Karl Robinson would have felt justice was done after a clear offside was missed by the linesman in the build-up.

But the hosts deservedly took the lead after half-hour as Bowditch collected Murphy's cross, took a touch and fired a perfectly placed shot into the corner of the net.

Bowditch almost doubled their advantage minutes after as he slid in at the back post only for a Cottagers defender to get back and clear it off the line.

On the stroke of half-time Fulham found themselves level as Dembele tapped in from close range – a harsh punishment for the Dons who had looked good to that point.

The second-half began a lot quieter and the closest anybody went early on was a weak Potter header drifting past the post.

Nicky Maynard should have done better after good work down the right by Jordan Spence and Samir Carruthers, but instead sent his shot curling over the bar.

With 10 minutes left McCormack must have thought he was about to give the visitors the lead, but McFadzean was there to clear off the line.

MK Dons: Martin; Spence, McFadzean, Kay, Lewington (c); Potter, Poyet; Bowditch (Hall 71), Carruthers (Baker 77), Murphy; Maynard (Church 86).

Subs not used: Cropper, Hodson, Powell, Gallagher.

Scorer: Bowditch (30)

Fulham: Lewis, Fredericks (Voser 46), Stearman, Burns Garbutt, Tunnicliffe (Mattila 70), Cairney, O'Hara, Kavanagh Dembele, McCormack (c).

Subs not used: Rodak, Hutchinson, Smith, Woodrow, Pringle.

Scorer: Dembele (45)

Booked: Kavanagh (56), Dembele (62)

Attendance: 14,508

http://citiblogmk.co.uk/2015/11/21/moussa-dembele-equaliser-denies-mk-dons-victory-over-fulham/?

WhiteJC

In-form Moussa Dembele secures a point for Fulham at MK Dons

Moussa Dembele's sixth goal in as many matches rescued managerless Fulham as they came from behind to draw 1-1 at MK Dons in the first ever competitive match between the two sides.

MK Dons had taken the lead after half an hour as Dean Bowditch superbly volleyed home for his third of the season.

But right on the stroke of half-time visitors Fulham were level as Dembele made up for an earlier miss when he slotted home from six yards.

And that is how it stayed despite Ross McCormack seeing an effort cleared off the line with nine minutes remaining.

The hosts went close to finding an opener inside 10 minutes when Bowditch fired a long-range effort towards Joe Lewis, but the Fulham goalkeeper did excellently to palm the ball away from danger and out for a corner.

Bowditch then turned provider after a well-worked corner routine allowed the winger to slot the ball through to Josh Murphy inside the box, before the on-loan Norwich man fired a shot straight into a crowd of bodies and Fulham were able to clear.

Four minutes later - with the goal gaping - Cottagers striker Dembele fired high over an open goal from two yards out after McCormack squared a pass beautifully into his path.

And Bowditch made him pay as he smashed home with a stunning half-volley from the edge of the visitors' box to grab the Dons a deserved lead midway through the first half.

But the Dons could not see their slender advantage through to the break as Dembele made amends for his earlier miss a minute from the interval with a neat finish from six yards out after some sloppy defending from Karl Robinson's side.

The visitors started to pile on the pressure after half-time as Sean Kavanagh threatened with a testing strike from outside the box but Dons keeper David Martin was equal to it and smothered the danger.

But the Dons responded well and two chances of their own within quick succession.

Murphy fizzed an inviting cross in from the right-hand side, which found Darren Potter in a crowd of bodies in the box but he failed to guide his effort on target before Bowditch raced clear of the Fulham defence and had his strike well saved.

The hosts squandered another good opportunity to go in front just after the hour when Jordan Spence burst past the challenges of a number of the Cottagers defenders and found Nicky Maynard in space inside the box, but his effort sailed well over.

Fulham were starting to threaten on the counter-attack as Kavanagh burst forward from midfield and had an effort on goal excellently closed down by the Dons defence inside the 72nd minute, before Luke Garbutt's long-range strike sailed over five minutes later.

McCormack was next to be left frustrated in front of goal for the Cottagers when his effort was heroically cleared of the line by Dons defender Kyle McFadzean nine minutes from time.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/422754/milton-keynes-dons-fulham/report?

WhiteJC

Grant's Reaction

Fulham's Caretaker Head Coach Peter Grant was content to settle for a point at MK Dons as Fulham came from behind to draw 1-1.

Dean Bowditch fired the hosts in front at stadiummk after Moussa Dembélé had missed a golden opportunity, although the Frenchman made amends on the stroke of half-time.

It was a crucial equaliser for the Whites at the end of what had been a fairly flat opening 45 minutes, a period of play Grant wasn't overly pleased with.

"First half was difficult," he admitted. "We started okay but I could see the flaws in the team that we've had. We've got a lot of good footballers who just want to go and play, but in the first half they never showed that.

"They played the ball long, they gave the ball away too often, all the things that this season they've been excellent with. Second half we adjusted a little bit and I thought we were a wee bit more in control of the game, a bit more organised.

"But it was difficult for them with the change – Tim Ream was not well in the evening and we had to change the team around a bit. Like I say I was disappointed with the first half especially, but saying that, Moussa misses a fantastic chance and that could change everything.

"I thought they showed great diligence in the second half. I can see the flaws we have, I can see why we've scored a lot of goals, and I can see why we've conceded a lot of goals."

There is of course plenty of change in the air at the Club at this moment in time, and Grant thinks the players deserve credit for how they coped in the circumstances.

"It's been a tough couple of weeks for them," he explained. "Obviously losing the game at Birmingham, losing the manager, international break when a lot of the boys went away, and I've only been with them Thursday and Friday on the training pitch, so that's been tough for them.

"I thought they showed great character, and to end up with a point I was delighted. We could have won it, but we easily could have lost it. And I think that sums up our season so far.

"They're the top goal scorers in the league. Our problem is we play it as a basketball match because we've got so many good footballers, they all want a touch of the ball so it leaves us exposed at times. We're very open, so we've got to work hard when that ball changes over."

When asked if the vacant position was something he'd be interested in, Grant categorically replied: "Not at all. I'm here to do a job for the Club while Mr Khan and Mike [Rigg] look for a replacement who can hopefully take us to the Premier League. Any way I can help, I'd be delighted."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/21/grants-reaction?