watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old crest or new logo????

Started by CorkedHat, August 03, 2010, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

This "nazi" thing, sorry, it just comes across to me as people who don't like the current badge finding any old rubbish to throw at it.

Even if it did look like a swastika, the symbol itself is over 3,000 years old and was once used as a good luck charm. I believe it appears both in ancient India (hence its aryan connection) and ancient Rome. One US infantry division used it as the divisional symbol during the First World War. I have a 1/72 scale model of a 1918 Nieuport biplane in US Army service which has the swastika as the main decoration. The Nazi party used and defiled it, as they did so many other things, but they are a tiny part of its rich history.

As far as us having it, I certainly qualify in the old fart bracket, first game in 1968 when everything was still in black and white (check out your parent's photo albums if you don't believe me on this), and I have seen us go through four or five badge changes in that time. The "historical" crest so beloved of many of you was not introduced until very recently, comparatively speaking. We had a plainer version before that (just the central badge bit), the "FFC" logo from the FA Cup final season and a few more after that, I can even vaguely recall a badge depicting the Cottage as a line drawing.

I quite like the current badge. It is distinctive. It stands out. People see me wearing something with it on and immediately, oh, you're Fulham. That rarely happened with the old badge (yes, I accept we were not in the top flight and had a far lower profile, but even so...) and there is the odd occasion when I could do without it happening now, like after we've been tonked by someone, but it is unmistakably ours.
No doubt, in the fullness of time, this badge too will go the way of all the others, and some of us will miss it while others will celebrate (before turning on the successor with even greater venom), but I doubt if the old badge will return. After ten years, some of you need to learn to live with that.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FatFreddysCat

I have the old badge tatooed on my right leg and the new one on my left, i like both of them (prefer the old one) , but as Rupert points out the new one is much more reconised as Fulham than the old one, people always thought i supported Newcastle for some reason .

LBNo11

...Rupert, you are quite right that the swastika is an ancient symbol, I too had that Nieuport 28 in my collection with the swastika on it, the same swastika that was used on planes from Finland - difference is that Adolph Schicklgruber deliberately reversed the symbol which was meant to symbolise good fortune.

Anyway, irrespective of how the swastika is positioned, the latest badge looks to me like a modern version of one, my opinion from the moment it was forced on us (the heritage collection only came about because of pressure from certain old f@rts not buying goods with the then new badge) without any consultancy on such a radical change.

I accept that it has become a recognisable symbol around the world, and is part of the new generation of Fulham fans - just don't expect me to ever like it...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Andy Crysell

Les,
Quote from: LBNo11 on August 03, 2010, 08:40:54 AM

Les,  the new crest looks a bit better than that!  But for me it's the old crest every time.

HatterDon

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 03, 2010, 06:59:46 PM
I have the old badge tatooed on my right leg and the new one on my left, i like both of them (prefer the old one) , but as Rupert points out the new one is much more reconised as Fulham than the old one, people always thought i supported Newcastle for some reason .

I applaud your decision to like both your legs equally.  :54: :clap_hands:

This thread -- and I'm sure I've seen it on here before -- is somewhat troubling for me and perhaps for others who have only supported the club for a short time [2004-05 for me]. The current crest is the only one I know, and is one that I quite like. I also like pointing at the crest and saying "FFC is Fulham Football Club" when folks ask me what league Pipex, dabs.com, or LG is in.

I like the old crest a lot, but even if I didn't I wouldn't look for some negative image to equate it to. I may be a little sensitive to being linked with Nazi regalia, however, so I felt I had to put a penny or two in on this.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

The old crest leaves too much plaque on my mo-lars and the new swastika makes my teeth fall out in unison.
Nogood "wheres' woy when you need a fwesh lwass of stewadent, isit" Boyo