more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (29/11/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 29, 2015, 10:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Gary Rowett comments on speculation linking him to QPR and Fulham

Birmingham City boss Gary Rowett is reported to be on the radar of Fulham and Queens Park Rangers.

Birmingham City boss Gary Rowett says being linked with Fulham and Queens Park Rangers is a sign of success but insists he is only focusing on the West Midlands outfit, Talksport report.

The London duo are currently manager-less after Chris Ramsey and Kit Symons both lost their jobs following an inconsistent start to the Championship season.

Both Fulham and QPR have recent Premier League experience, and there is undoubtedly potential there for a return to the top-flight and to establish themselves up there.

However, in a rather strange turn of events, neither club seems to be able to attract a manager suitable enough for the task, and QPR have since turned to Neil Warnock again on an interim basis.

Gary Rowett has been linked with the two and has been made favourite for the Fulham job by Sky Bet, yet the Birmingham coach insists his only focus is on matters at St. Andrew's.

"It's just the usual thing, if your team is doing well you get linked to other clubs. That's normal and it's just a sign of success, really," Rowett explained.

"They're two excellent jobs with ex-Premier League sides, but I'm extremely focused on what we're trying to do at Birmingham City.

"I actually think we've underperformed a little bit over the last three or four weeks, so I'm just focused on improving here."

Rowett has done an incredible job at Birmingham after joining the club from Burton Albion last season.

The former Derby County man has lowered the wage bill, lowered the average age of the playing squad and has the Blues playing an attractive brand of football.

Ahead of the weekend's results, the Blues sat in sixth spot and some seven points clear of both Fulham and QPR who languish in a disappointing lower mid-table position.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/11/28/gary-rowett-comments-on-speculation-linking-him-to-qpr-and-fu/?

WhiteJC

McCormack free-kick rescues point for Fulham

Fulham 1 Preston North End 1

Leading scorer Ross McCormack once again rescued Fulham as his superb free-kick earned the managerless Whites a point at Craven Cottage.

Preston had taken an early lead through Joe Garner's header as they shaded a first half short on quality.

But Fulham improved after the break and had two penalty appeals turned down, before finally getting a free-kick on the edge of the box 13 minutes from time.

McCormack stepped up and curled the ball beyond the grasp of Preston keeper Jordan Pickford for his 10th league goal of the season.

Fulham were worthy of the point in the end, though they were booed off at half-time after a lifeless display.

Preston's wing-back system allowed them to exploit Fulham's lack of width and a Daniel Johnson pass into the open channel created the first chance, with Eoin Doyle's snapshot saved by Joe Lewis.

But it only took the visitors 11 minutes to go in front. A short corner routine led to Paul Gallagher's cross, and Garner headed in at the far post.

It wasn't until the half hour mark that Fulham seriously threatened, Moussa Dembele's curling effort being superbly tipped over by Pickford.

Fulham caretaker-manager Peter Grant ditched the 4-4-2 diamond for 3-5-2 at the break to match up with Preston and it worked at times.

Both wing-backs felt they should have had penalties, Ryan Fredericks believing he was tripped by Adam Reach and James Husband going down after a Peter Clarke challenge.

McCormack then had a low shot turned away by Pickford but there was nothing the keeper could do about his perfect free-kick into the top corner.

Fulham: Lewis; Fredericks, Stearman, Ream, Husband (Pringle 89); O'Hara; Parker (Smith 74), Kavanagh (Hutchinson 46); Cairney; McCormack, Dembele.
Subs not used: Rodak, Voser, Garbutt, Woodrow.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/mccormack-free-kick-rescues-point-for-fulham?

WhiteJC

Fulham player ratings: Summer signing and star forward shine but midfield trio struggle

Fulham's Tom Cairney

Ross McCormack rescued a point for Fulham with a stunning right-footed free-kick against Preston but who stood out for the home side in their 1-1 draw?

Joe Lewis 6
Could do little with Preston opener after making a smart stop to keep out Eoin Doyle.

Ryan Fredericks 7
Bombed forward plenty and was furious he wasn't awarded a penalty for foul by Adam Reach which had the Hammersmith End just as angry. Showed what he offers defensively with a superb and vital block with 10 minutes to go.

Richard Stearman 6
A thunderous challenge in the box set the tone and a crunching late tackle earned a cheer from the home support.

Tim Ream 6
A solid display at the heart of the Fulham defence.

James Husband 7
Got forward plenty, especially in the first half and created a great opening for McCormack but was lucky not to see red for his moment of madness 13 minutes into the second half after he felt he was fouled.

Sean Kavanagh 5
You felt for the 21-year-old as ironic cheers rang out after his half time withdrawal in just his 16th start for Fulham. One lovely lofted cross aside it was 45 minutes to forget but Grant could have subbed plenty of others too...

Jamie O'Hara 6
Shown up by Cairney and struggled along with a number of midfielders to exert any influential on the game. Would have been relived to see Preston didn't punish his first-half slip.

Scott Parker 6
Thrown into the starting line up for the first time this season there were obvious signs of rustiness as he looked to play his usual short passing game. Had a chance before his withdrawal with 15 left.

Tom Cairney 8
Controlled proceedings throughout a fantastic display. At the heart of every one of Fulham's best moves as he spun in midfield and could have got on the scoresheet as well. Could have done with more midfield help though.

Moussa Dembele 6
A quiet afternoon for a striker who has been in the headlines almost every week recently. After a lovely shot was tipped over he had just one offside effort palmed away as his team-mates took centre stage.

Ross McCormack 8
Looked set to be a frustrating, if hard working, afternoon. The Scot put in a tremendous shift, saw a shot well saved and slipped at the back post when well placed before curling home a splendid free-kick.

Subs:
Shaun Hutchinson 6
Sent on at the break for Kavanagh but did little to write home about.

Matt Smith 6
Introduced just before the goal and there one inviting cross that he just failed to meet.

Ben Pringe
NA

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_player_ratings_summer_signing_and_star_forward_shine_but_midfield_trio_struggle_1_4329167
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 1 Preston

Ross McCormack's free-kick rescued a point as managerless Fulham hit back to deny Preston North End a rare victory.

Joe Garner put the visitors ahead in a cagey first period, heading in at the far post from Paul Gallagher's cross after a well-worked short corner.

But McCormack's goal, his fifth in his last six games, earned the hosts a draw after an improved second-half display.

Fulham drop to 13th place in the Championship, but remain four points ahead of Preston.

The visitors have won three league games all season, but their hopes of a third on the road looked good after Garner's 11th-minute goal.

Eoin Doyle had already gone close to putting them ahead, with a shot that was parried away by goalkeeper Joe Lewis, before Garner's header.

Garner almost added a second from long range as North End dominated.

Fulham, with Peter Grant in caretaker charge, offered little threat before the interval in a performance that angered the home support at Craven Cottage.

Moussa Dembele had an effort tipped over by keeper Jordan Pickford in their one bright moment in the opening 45 minutes, but they upped the tempo after the interval.

McCormack tested Pickford from 30 yards and then on 77 minutes he levelled the scores, curling home his 12th goal of the season from 20 yards.

Both sides pressed for a winner late on with the best chance falling to Preston's John Welsh, who shot well over the bar.

Fulham caretaker head coach Peter Grant: "I thought the first half was difficult for us, but we made the change at the 11th hour, as you would say.

"It's not about the personnel, it's just about the way we've been training all week. When we put in Scott Parker it told in the first half.
"Even though Preston were always a danger I thought there was only going to be one winner, ourselves.

"Ross McCormack is one of the top goalscorers in the league, we have matchwinners like him. But you have to be able to win a game 1-0."

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "I thought it was a good performance, we were on the front foot from the first whistle, we passed the ball well.

"Justifiably so, we got the goal and we looked like a threat. We limited them to very few opportunities.

"But there are fine margins in the Championship, we needed the second goal, and you saw the reaction of their supporters, booing them off.

"Unfortunately for us, when you get somebody like Ross McCormack who showed every penny that he is worth with his free-kick today."

McCormack's equaliser was his fifth goal in six games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34886977

WhiteJC

Grant reveals which five Fulham players hadn't trained and hails 'magnificent' Parker

Peter Grant says Sakari Mattila, Richard Steadman, Tom Cairney and the returning Scott Parker all barely trained ahead of the 1-1 draw with Preston.

Stearman did not train at all this week but played for 90 minutes against North End while Cairney was arguably Fulham's man of the match despite missing a number of days.

Mattila suffered a back injury just before kick off which meant the experienced Parker handed his first start since his summer operation and interim boss Grant says that shows how committed this group of players are to the cause.

"Four of five of the boys hadn't trained all week. Richard Stearman, Tom Cairney, Scott Parker is just coming back and obviously Sakari Mattila got injured just before kick off.

"We've had a lot of boys from last week who couldn't train during the first half of the week and that was the first we had seen Stearman on a pitch since last week which tells you a lot about the group.

"They all wanted to play in the match and that shows you have special people.

"The players all go about their business fantastically well, we can't praise them enough for their efforts."

Parker, 35, was making his first appearance of the season and his first start since April and Grant says the fact Parker slotted back into the side and played for so long shows what a professional the former England man is.

"I was delighted for him." he added. "It was one I was watching closely. I was chuffed for him and it just shows how the kid looks after himself.

"He has been magnificent. His performance today at the last minute was excellent I just took him off at the end of the game because of his tired legs."

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/grant_reveals_which_five_fulham_players_hadn_t_trained_and_hails_magnificent_parker_1_4329226
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Grant Reaction

Caretaker Head Coach Peter Grant felt Fulham's second-half performance warranted three points at home to Preston North End.

Fulham's best-laid plans were thrown prior to kick-off when Sakari Mattila was withdrawn with a bad back and was replaced by Scott Parker. And a below-par performance in the first period saw the Whites trail 1-0 to Joe Garner's 11th-minute header at half-time.

Fulham switched to a 3-5-2 formation at the break and the change sparked the Whites into life, although they had to wait until the 77th minute to draw level through Ross McCormack's fine free-kick.

"The first half was difficult for us," said Grant. "We had to make a change right at the 11th hour, which upset us a bit. Not the personnel, but just because of the way we'd been training all week with Mattila. He's more defensive-minded and we were going to play Jamie O'Hara a bit higher up the pitch. We had to adjust by bringing Scott back in and he'd been out for a few months, so that changed the dynamic of the team. I thought that told in the first half.

"To lose a goal from a set-play was a disappointing thing as Mattila would have been marking the boy who scored. I was pleased to get in at 1-0, to be perfectly honest. We made adjustments and I have to give great credit to the boys second half, I thought there was only one team that was going to go on and win it and that was ourselves."

On his decision to tinker with the formation at half-time, Grant added: "I decided about 15 minutes in that I needed to change it! We knew we were lacking inches. We were a bit weak so we had to adjust it at the break; Shaun Hutchinson came on and playing the three at the back really suited us second half. We hadn't worked on it so I have to give them great credit.

"Preston were still a danger but it took a bit of magic from McCormack. Hopefully we can kick on from there. We're the top scorers in the league but had one of the most against, and you can see why. We worked on that in training to get that better because we have match winners like McCormack and Tom Cairney. We have the quality to produce moments like Ross did today. If we can get the other side of our game right, we won't be far away.

"Ross' goal wasn't by luck, it's by design. He practices daily and diligently. It's no surprise that he's capable of that."

Frustration grew at the Cottage as Fulham saw several penalty shouts fall on deaf ears in the second half, but Grant said: "I'm not one to complain about referees because it's a difficult, difficult job. If it's a penalty, it's not given, so we can't do much about it. We've just got to get on with it and accept these moments happen in a game.

"I think the referee played the game in the correct way. There were two teams that were competitive, who wanted to win the match."

Parker made his first appearance of the season following an ankle injury and rolled back the years with a fine display.

"I was delighted for Scott," said Grant. "He was one I was watching closely because four or five of the boys haven't trained all week; Richard Stearman, Tom Cairney, Scott's just coming back, [Sakari] Mattila trained and then was injured just before kick-off, so we had a lot of boys last week who couldn't train in the first part of the week.

"Stearman, the first we've seen him on the pitch was on matchday since the game last week, so that tells you about the character of the group. They all wanted to play in the match and, for me, that shows you've got special people desperate to play in the matches and get themselves fit to get through 90 minutes.

"Scott's been a magnificent help to me. That's why I took him with me last week to the [MK Dons] game. I thought he'd be important for me. I just said to him last week, you're doing your licenses and there's nothing like matchday to come and see what it's like for real, because you can't learn that on a coaching course. So come and sit in the dressing room, and you'll see the difference it is. Sit on the bench and you'll see the difference it is.

"Hopefully that experience of just seeing last week, you'll see a totally different game from the one you see on the football pitch. His performance today at the last minute was excellent. I just had to take him off late in the game because I didn't want him to get any other occurrences, obviously with tired legs. I was chuffed for him and great credit for the way he looks after himself."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/28/grant-reaction?

WhiteJC

U18 REPORT: Fulham 3-2 Southampton

Southampton Under-18s were narrowly beaten by Fulham in a tight game at Motspur Park on Saturday lunchtime.

Joe Lea scored for the third time in as many games to give Saints the lead, but goals from Josh Walker and Stephen Humphrys put the hosts in control at the interval.

Walker immediately increased Fulham's lead after the restart, before Callum Slattery's low strike brought Saints back to within a goal.

Slattery had a couple of good chances to equalise, but Fulham held out for the win.

On a blustery day at the Cottagers' training ground, Craig Fleming's side was looking to end a run of three straight defeats.

Southampton midfielder Thomas O'Connor struck over from long range before goalkeeper Harry Lewis was called into action to deny Fulham striker Walker.

Saints took the lead on 18 minutes when Carel Kayembe latched on to a headed ball forward, and took the 'keeper out of the game by unselfishly squaring for Lea to knock home from 10 yards.

The hosts were back on level terms almost immediately, though. Saints failed to clear from a free kick and Walker struck past Lewis on the turn to make it one apiece.

Midway through the first half, Fulham edged in front with a penalty. Ben Cull brought down Marlon Fossey in the penalty area, and Humphrys converted from the spot.

Saints were incredibly unfortunate not to level matters before half time, however, as Tyreke Johnson fizzed a ball across the face of goal only for Lea's point-blank effort to be headed off the line.

Fulham extended their lead soon after the interval. Saints failed to clear a free kick, and the ball ricocheted kindly for Walker to net his second of the game.

Saints enjoyed plenty of possession after that, with Lea and Slattery offering the biggest attacking threat.

Lea could only head straight at the goalkeeper from Yan Valery's inviting cross, before Slattery hit a left-foot drive inches wide of the post.

Slattery was to have better luck on his right foot just after the hour mark, placing a low strike from the edge of the box past the flailing hand of Taye Ashby-Hammond.

Fulham should have made the game safe when Aron Davies found space at the back post, but the centre-back headed wide.

Slattery then had a couple more chances – the best from Lea's drilled cross which the midfielder struck wide – as Saints left west London empty handed.

"Defensively it was just not good enough again," said Fleming after the game.

"As an ex-defender myself, I don't know whether it's a dying trade or whether historically we've not put enough emphasis on it, but it's something we're working hard at to get a bit more consistency in our defending.

"You go one up away from home, and it's an old cliché but you keep it tight for five or ten minutes and ride it out.

"You play the percentages, and at the moment we're not doing it and we're getting punished for it.

"In possession, we were really good and created lots of chances – we weren't clinical but we did get two goals away from home.

Fulham Under-18s (4-3-3): Taye Ashby-Hammond; Marlon Fossey, Aron Davies, Jerome Opoku, Dan Martin (Moritz Jens 61); Mattias Kait, Matt O'Riley (Cassian Thomas 58), Stephen Humphrys; Luca de la Torre, Josh Walker, Mikolaj Kwietniewski (Isaac Pearce 77). Unused substitute: Jake Soutter (GK).

Goals: Walker (25 & 52), Humphrys (pen 30)

Southampton Under-18s (4-2-3-1): Harry Lewis; Yan Valery, Oskar Cvjetičanin, Alfie Jones, Ben Cull; Thomas O'Connor, Callum Slattery; Stuart Wilkin (Archie Thomas 84), Joe Lea (Ben Rowthorn 88), Tyreke Johnson; Carel Kayembe (Harley Willard 60). Unused substitutes: Jake Hallett (GK), Connor Langan.

Goals: Lea (24), Slattery (66)

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20151128-under-18-report-fulham-3-2-southampton-2825855.aspx#VBi01gr3zGw45Zf0.99

WhiteJC

Mark Warburton targeted by Fulham to succeed Kit Symons

Fulham have been rebuffed four times since Symons was sacked in November, with Birmingham's Gary Rowett the latest manager to reject them

Warburton is being pursued by Fulham Photo: PA

Mark Warburton is the latest target for Fulham after the English Championship club respond to their latest recruitment setback, Telegraph Sport understands. The English Championship club have been rebuffed four times since Kit Symons was sacked on November 8, with Birmingham's Gary Rowett becoming the latest manager to reject their advances.

Rowett followed former Leicester City boss, Nigel Pearson, and Steve Clarke of Reading in declining a move to Craven Cottage. Now Fulham have turned their attention to Warburton, whose Rangers side can restore a three point lead over Scottish Championship rivals Hibs with a home win over Dumbarton on Tuesday.

Warburton saw his players reach the Petrofac Training Cup final with an emphatic 4-0 home win over St Mirren yesterday (Sat). The final against Peterhead offers him the chance to steer Rangers to their first trophy win since the financial meltdown at Ibrox in 2012.
The possibility of a league and cup double and a return to the top flight of Scottish football after four years in the lower leagues is a powerful inducement for Warburton to stay. Moreover, Fulham's 1-0 home defeat by Preston North End yesterday kept them two points below Brentford, whom Warburton quit last season after differences of opinion with owner, Mark Benham.

Another obstacle might be the fact Fulham's search for a replacement for Symons is being driven, not by Alistair Mackintosh, CEO at Craven Cottage, but by Mike Rigg, the club's chief football officer, whose role includes identifying and negotiating signings. Warburton has already linked up again with Frank McParland, who moved to Ibrox from Burnley as head of recruitment two weeks ago.

On Friday, the Rangers chairman, Dave King, promised that Warburton would have money to spend in the next transfer window with an eye to the long-term. "It is really not as much about winning the league this year," said King.

"The identification of players in January would be based on our prospects for the year after. We would have to bring in players we thought were going to compete next season strongly in the Premier League and already looking towards Europe."

Mark Warburton is the latest target for Fulham

Warburton, though, has repeatedly urged caution in reinforcing the current Ibrox squad in the New Year. I think we have got it right up until now," he said.

"We have always said that after Christmas you have got to add one or two because you will get fatigue, the niggling injuries, the yellow cards and suspensions so it is about just getting the balance. What you don't want to do is to be leaving here to go to a game on a Saturday with six, seven or eight boys who aren't even involved in the squad.

"For me, that just kills any unity or harmony. You can't see a pathway to the first team and you train hard all week. That's an issue.

"Good players want good players coming in. There is no doubt about that. People who lack belief in their ability are wary of a signing coming in but a good dressing room wants to see quality coming in to make them better.

"It is about the balance. If you are going to look to bring in five or six or seven players in January then it can be dangerous. The league programme is going on. In June or July you have got pre-season.

"You have got six or seven weeks to bed players in, bond as a group, go on trips. You have got time to manage the group."

Asked if he could see Rangers bringing in a marquee signing, especially if they should be overtake by Hibs by New Year, Warburton said: "I don't think so. You look at some of the massive money signings that have happened, these big time flops as they have called them.

"A marquee signing is somebody who comes in and adds value and makes an impact. I am sure people wouldn't have heard of some of the players we brought in. I am sure in June and July the Rangers fans were asking: 'Who are these guys?'

"Now they can see they are tremendous. It is about does a player who comes in add value and make an impact. Those for me are marquee signings.

"Unless you are at the top of the Premier League down south you've got to be very astute with your signings, do your homework, do your due diligence and hopefully, you will get it right."

Elsewhere, there will be a pitch inspection in Inverness this morning (Sun) after incessant rain threatened the lunchtime kickoff against Celtic in the Scottish Premiership's televised fixture. In yesterday's Premiership fixtures, Aberdeen closed to within four points of the leaders with a 3-1 home win over Ross County.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-football/12023168/Mark-Warburton-targeted-by-Fulham-to-succeed-Kit-Symons.html

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham prepare desperate bid to lure Mark Warburton away from Rangers

Fulham are reportedly trying to lure Mark Warburton away from Rangers.

According to The Telegraph, Fulham will make one more desperate, last-ditch attempt to lure Rangers boss Mark Warburton back to London.

The Cottagers are currently without a manager having sacked Kit Symons, and they played out a 1-1 draw at home to Preston North End on Saturday afternoon.

Fulham need an appointment quickly if they are to progress this season, but it's suggested that the club are having trouble finding a new manager.

The Telegraph report that Nigel Pearson, Reading boss Steve Clarke and Birmingham manager Gary Rowett have all snubbed the post recently, leaving Fulham to now go back for Warburton.

A report from The Scottish Sun earlier this month suggested that Warburton had told both Fulham and QPR that he wanted to build something at Rangers rather than immediately return to London, having impressed with West London rivals Brentford last season.

Now, The Telegraph suggest that Fulham are preparing one more last-ditch attempt to lure Warburton away from Ibrox and back to the Championship.

However, it seems highly unlikely that Warburton would suddenly change his stance and head to Craven Cottage, given the success he has had with Rangers so far this season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/11/29/report-fulham-prepare-desperate-bid-to-lure-mark-warburton-away/?

WhiteJC

Cairney: Strong Response

Tom Cairney believes the Whites showed their character in the second half while fighting back to draw with Preston North End.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/november/29/cairney-reaction?