watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Set piece conceding

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, December 06, 2015, 12:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

It sounds to me that a lot of the set piece goals we concede are in and around the 6 yard area.

Surely that should be the responsibility of a commanding goalkeeper and two guys 'on the posts' as 'back up' who can only do so much except initially attack the balls to the near post.

Effectively (apart from the goalie) corners, taken well should be 50/50% (ish - obviously)
We let in a ton but rarely seem to score from our attacking corners.
eg: Symons. Melville, Cookie etc  hardly conceded any goals but between them,
in one season I think, they scored over 20 between them
Hangerland hardly scored any.

Watching the rugby world cup, a couple of the kickers never seemed to miss from all angles and distances,
kicking the ball between two uprights.  They practiced and practiced and the result was winning games.
Surely our corners takers should do the same, over-and-over again, then 'hit the spot' where the likes of Burn are.
Defences 'died for the cause' as other teams hammered the try line.

Do any of our corner takers and defenders practice under the floodlights, night after night ?

Surely this is simple coaching and practice, practice, rehearse, practice.

It's what sets teams apart and makes winners.

That's where I would start
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Ag

I haven't looked at the stats to verify that they back this up, but it seemed like we were doing better defending corners...until we hit our 3rd choice emergency loan keeper.  What's the latest on Lonergan's return?

Beamer

Realistically he is exactly that, our 3rd choice emergency goalkeeper, so not rated as being as good as the 2 in front of him. More pressure then falls on the defence to step up and protect him a bit. Look at the 3rd goal, Mills had to stoop to head that in from nearly the far post - how on earth should that ever get that far at that height.

Nero

the problem probably is we don't score from set piece either so in practice the defenders probably look fantastic