The managers we have missed out on

Started by The Swan, December 07, 2015, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Logicalman on December 08, 2015, 01:56:09 PM
Quote from: alexmur on December 07, 2015, 09:17:23 PM
we should never had let Hughes leave

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not certain we had any choice in the matter. He saw the writing on the wall, and he was always a big-spender manager so he wasn't going to hang around whilst the purse strings were tightened. He did a good job with Roys team, I'll give him that, but his following appointments have not shown him in his best light perhaps.

Hes done a brilliant job at Stoke. Was only on a rolling contract at Fulham and wanted to spend to take us on to the next level.
Thought at the time it was a bad choice. Hughes has said he regretted leaving Fulham and rushing into the Rangers job. Reckons with hindsight he would do things differently

Logicalman

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on December 08, 2015, 02:03:29 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on December 08, 2015, 01:56:09 PM
Quote from: alexmur on December 07, 2015, 09:17:23 PM
we should never had let Hughes leave

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not certain we had any choice in the matter. He saw the writing on the wall, and he was always a big-spender manager so he wasn't going to hang around whilst the purse strings were tightened. He did a good job with Roys team, I'll give him that, but his following appointments have not shown him in his best light perhaps.

Hes done a brilliant job at Stoke. Was only on a rolling contract at Fulham and wanted to spend to take us on to the next level.
Thought at the time it was a bad choice. Hughes has said he regretted leaving Fulham and rushing into the Rangers job. Reckons with hindsight he would do things differently

Agreed, he's settled in with Stoke nicely, though they are still a dirty team. I also believe that if MaF had promised to loosen the purse strings Sparky would have stayed, though not certain for how long. His spell at QPR wasn't anything to sing about, and it looks like he has had his wings clipped with spending at Stoke, so perhaps his reflection was that he could have made a good go at it with us, had he accepted the restrictions.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Dixie

At the time of (finally) getting rid of Jol, Pardew's stock was at an all time low. I don't recall anyone on here wanting him to take over at the time.
Like many on here, i never understood the decision to dispense with Rene and ironically he would appear to meet the current requirements for a Head Coach perfectly! Also and much more importantly, he seemed to fit at Fulham, which is something intangible that i think is extremely important to the success or otherwise of a manager.

For example, some good fits:
- Roy
- Cookie
- Rene
- Tigana? (not sure, but he changed us for the better forever)
- Pardew at Palace is a great fit
- Keegan at Newcastle
etc.

I have to confess that i thought Jol would be a good fit for us and of all the managers we could possibly have appointed between the end of last season and now, i think Warburton was the one that got away...

One of the problems we have experienced over and over again is that as soon as a manager is successful at Fulham, they get poached or tempted to move on elsewhere, they just don't seem to see it as a long term opportunity, but more as a stepping stone.
Now we need to find a manager down on his luck with a point to prove! Mourinho anyone? He has always had a soft spot for us!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!