watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The managers we have missed out on

Started by The Swan, December 07, 2015, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Two managers that we missed out on when we sacked Jol.

One was Alan Pardew, the other was Ton Pulis.

Pardew was manager at Newcastle and having a difficult time with bad results and abuse from the fans. Maybe the reason we did not try for him was that he was on a very long contract with Newcastle.

Some one posted on this board that with Pulis leaving Stoke that we should have tried to get him to be our manager. Many Fulham fans including me were against going for Pulis due to his style of play ie long ball.

How wrong we were, as both Pardew and Pulis are now successful Premier managers with each of their teams playing good football.

We are still waiting for a manager to replace Kit who should never have had the job or at least should have gone at the end of last season.
The Swan

Logicalman

Pardew I totally agree with, Pulis, not so much.

He made Stoke the dirty side they still are, and I'm still not convinced he has turned away from that style of play with West Brom as yet. Yep, a good coach, and I tend to like him, but what he did at Stoke was nothing short of criminal.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Burt

Do you really think that current established premier league managers would be prepared to drop down to a mediocre, second-tier club that is a bit of a basket case?

Just curious, rather than having a go.

In my view, being linked with the likes of Pardew, Pulis, Moyes, etc. is a bit unrealistic, it is living off past glories, and also does reflect the possibly over-the-top expectations us lot may have now. 

The Old Count

Quote from: The Swan on December 07, 2015, 05:30:06 PM

Pardew was manager at Newcastle and having a difficult time with bad results and abuse from the fans. Maybe the reason we did not try for him was that he was on a very long contract with Newcastle.

Some one posted on this board that with Pulis leaving Stoke that we should have tried to get him to be our manager. Many Fulham fans including me were against going for Pulis due to his style of play ie long ball.

How wrong we were, as both Pardew and Pulis are now successful Premier managers with each of their teams playing good football.

We are still waiting for a manager to replace Kit who should never have had the job or at least should have gone at the end of last season.
Totally agreee. We should and could have got Pulis when we sacked Jol. We'd still be in the Prem if we had.  We also could and should have got Pardew when we were relegated. Wewouldhave been back in the Prem if we had.
So many missed opportunities.

epsomraver

Quote from: The Old Count on December 07, 2015, 07:46:37 PM

Totally agreee. We should and could have got Pulis when we sacked Jol. We'd still be in the Prem if we had.  We also could and should have got Pardew when we were relegated. Wewouldhave been back in the Prem if we had.

If Pullis had come so many including me would have stopped supporting

HatterDon

I don't think he would have left Newcastle for any club other than Palace. That's where he's always wanted to manage, although he has affection for Fulham as well.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

alexmur

we should never had let Hughes leave

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HatterDon

Quote from: alexmur on December 07, 2015, 09:17:23 PM

Been saying that for a long time
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cookieg

Hughes probably saw/was told that the investment wasn't going to be there to move us on so decided to go. Can't blame him really now although at the time he was slated by many on here. If the club wasn't prepared to be as ambitious as Hughes wanted to be then he walked. He hasn't been a hugely successful manager wherever he has been but Stoke seem to be playing decent football.

Chutney

Quote from: cookieg on December 07, 2015, 09:34:51 PM
Hughes probably saw/was told that the investment wasn't going to be there to move us on so decided to go. Can't blame him really now although at the time he was slated by many on here. If the club wasn't prepared to be as ambitious as Hughes wanted to be then he walked. He hasn't been a hugely successful manager wherever he has been but Stoke seem to be playing decent football.

Hughes hasn't achieved anything as a manager of any real note
C O Y W

MJG

As ER said Pulis at Fulham would mean many... Including myself....  staying away for the duration of him being here

MJG

And once again I'll point out that like him or not,  Hughes said he regretted leaving Fulham and should have stayed.

FFC Sydney

We missed out on a number of managers due to Rigg not having the cohones to release Symons at the end of the season. He doubled down on the mistake in November by targeting employed guys in the same division. Please come back MAF

Riverside

Even more frustrating is the ones we had and let go .

There have been posts on Rene that I agree with . If had stayed and Magath had never been let near the club I think we would be in the Premier League .

Also we had Chris Houghton on the payroll briefly as an advisor at the beginning of last season . He ticked all of Riggs requirements . But sadly it was left to a committee of 5 that went for the populist vote and Kit .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcliff white

Others we have missed out on include Redknapp, Sherwood, Warnock, Coyle, McCoist and I am sure there are seceral more, would I have wanted those mentioned god no. There are very few that are good and it is all about timing and or money, are they available and how much does it cost to get time
Every day is a Fulham day

J

Quote from: epsomraver on December 07, 2015, 08:24:26 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on December 07, 2015, 07:46:37 PM

If Pullis had come so many including me would have stopped supporting

I'm pretty sure at least 1 person has said that about every manager we've been linked with.

jarv

The manager merry go round.... there are a few good names out there. For me, I think Houghton was probably the one we let slip.   Proved it at Newcastle, unfairly sacked, and again at Brighton.

I don't understand all the Pulis bashing. WBA are not dirty, he has stopped the rot quite a bit and I am sure they will survive. He is a winner.

Gray?.....mmmmm, not sure.  Whoever comes in, lets hope. Can't afford to go down that's for sure.

Chutney

Quote from: jarv on December 08, 2015, 01:01:51 PM
The manager merry go round.... there are a few good names out there. For me, I think Houghton was probably the one we let slip.   Proved it at Newcastle, unfairly sacked, and again at Brighton.

I don't understand all the Pulis bashing. WBA are not dirty, he has stopped the rot quite a bit and I am sure they will survive. He is a winner.

Gray?.....mmmmm, not sure.  Whoever comes in, lets hope. Can't afford to go down that's for sure.

The Pulis bashing goes way back to his gillingham days, quite simply, he will never be welcome at fulham.
C O Y W

Wimbledon_White

As it stands, in my opinion, the one that got away in this recent recruitment drive is Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

He may well yet prove me wrong and fail miserably at QPR; I for one think he was an excellent appointment by the R's. Time will tell I suppose.

Of the others in the post-Jol era...it's such a long time ago now there is no point looking back (again IMO).

Logicalman

Quote from: alexmur on December 07, 2015, 09:17:23 PM

I'm not certain we had any choice in the matter. He saw the writing on the wall, and he was always a big-spender manager so he wasn't going to hang around whilst the purse strings were tightened. He did a good job with Roys team, I'll give him that, but his following appointments have not shown him in his best light perhaps.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.