watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Little gem on John Terry

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, August 04, 2010, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Buried in this (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=811634&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739)article about the rebuilding of the England squad is this nugget:

END OF THE ROAD

JOHN TERRY (Chelsea, 29) Nothing would better symbolise stagnation in the England squad, or draw a more negative reaction from the Wembley crowd on August 11, than the sight of Terry pulling on the national shirt and emerging from the tunnel to face Hungary. Widely reviled thanks to his sordid role in Wayne Bridge's international retirement, Terry's attempt to undermine Capello with his infamous World Cup press conference was described by the coach as a "big mistake" and his performance against Germany was abysmal. Terry symbolises everything that the public dislike about the modern footballer and his international career should be brought to a swift conclusion.

blingo

He should never have had the armband taken off of him. Either he should have been dropped completely or allowed to lead the England team.

alfie

Quote from: blingo on August 04, 2010, 05:37:41 PM
He should never have had the armband taken off of him. Either he should have been dropped completely or allowed to lead the England team.

I find myself agreeing with Blingo yet again
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Vinnieffc

Quote from: alfie on August 04, 2010, 07:00:34 PM
Quote from: blingo on August 04, 2010, 05:37:41 PM

I find myself agreeing with Blingo yet again

Yes he is a Dark Side eejit but I agree taking the captaincy off him was a half measure.. He should have either led the side or got totally dropped.. I despise him as a person but have to admit he's a decent player and (to some extent) on field leader..

jarv

Very over-rated player. Seriously, he is just not that good. An old fashioned centre half who, to be fair, loves to defend. Footballing defender like Moore, Baresi, Maldini, Beckenbaur he certainly is NOT.
Arrogant so and so. Dump him I say!

cebu

Quote from: jarv on August 04, 2010, 11:34:35 PM
Very over-rated player. Seriously, he is just not that good. An old fashioned centre half who, to be fair, loves to defend. Footballing defender like Moore, Baresi, Maldini, Beckenbaur he certainly is NOT.
True enough, but who do you play in his place?

The Equalizer

Quote from: cebu on August 05, 2010, 10:04:34 AM
True enough, but who do you play in his place?

Chris Smalling? Zat Knight?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

...totally agree, he has had some good players around him that have been covering for his mistakes. A loathesome, arrogant,greedy individual and a reflective product of his family, the fact that he plays at that hotel with the big lawn makes no odds to me...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FC Silver Fox

I think my opinion will be very unpopular. I think you have to separate Terry the man and Terry the player. The former is odious and I agree with El Bee's comments below. As a player, I think you cannot deny his total commitment when he pulls on an England shirt. Sure, he makes some mistakes but who doesn't?  His positionning is good as is his tackling.
When do you let the actions of the man override the selection of the player in the national team? That's a matter of debate and personal opinion.

Silver Fox, standing by to be shot down in flames now, is it?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 05, 2010, 10:41:39 AM
I think my opinion will be very unpopular. I think you have to separate Terry the man and Terry the player. The former is odious and I agree with El Bee's comments below. As a player, I think you cannot deny his total commitment when he pulls on an England shirt. Sure, he makes some mistakes but who doesn't?  His positionning is good as is his tackling.

Silver Fox, standing by to be shot down in flames now, is it?

I understand what you are getting at but I think last season, particularly in the run-up to the WC, Terry's form was dire. For me he offers nothing that Dawson doesn't and is only getting older.

LBNo11

Logicalman

As far as the England squad this season goes, you could easily place most of their names instead of Terry and it would ring true.
Unfortunately he is also one of our more experienced players and, again unpopular but correct to my mind, one of the best commanders on the field, a role that I was hoping Gerrard might be able to bring from the Poo, but who also failed so miserably when called upon. As for giving Ferndinand the armband, it just went to show that we have no other current players in the squad able to wear that item with any distinction at all.
History is full of incidents where the moral character of a person is thrown aside for the good of the country, and this was just one of those in allowing Terry to wear the England shirt - unfortunately, it all backfired this time.

AlFayedsChequebook

I think that it also goes beyond John Terry's morals. He is a destructive force in the team because of his high opinion of himself. Remember his challenge to Capello?

If Capello has balls, he will never call up Terry again whilst he is in charge. That should mean that we dont have to see him for a few years.

Burt

Taking aside who he plays for, and his ethics and behaviour, and the mediocre performances he put in during the World Cup (in common with most of the other England players!) he is not too bad a player and one that there is no obvious replacement for. He has presence, he is committed, he tackles well, he's good with the ball, and he is a set-piece target man.

OldBrownShoe

Perhaps England should retire the armband!

I am afraid it is not England's way to make major changes to its team/squad and rebuild for the next World Cup, at least we have never done it before. There is, however, much to be said for big changes and an opportune time to do it. Four years International experience for younger players would stand them well for the next World Cup. Terry and quite a few others should be dropped/replaced because every game one of the old brigade plays is one that a younger player doesn't.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

jarv

Putting Terry aside, this whole sorry episode started with the appointment of Capello for silly money. He went for experience, like all Italians do, over flair. Some of his selections beggared belief. Totally contradicted himself after he said he would not take unfit players or bench warmers.

I like gareth barry's style. However, he looked slow and UNFIT. It was there for all to see. Enough said, back to Terry. Capello's handling of the Bridge and Terry mutiny situations was truly awful.

Can you see Ferg, Wenger, Roy being so lame? A strong manager wuld have cut him. Remember Roy Keane being sent home, it is the only way. (and he was Ireland's best player by a mile).

So, you could say, the incompetent suits at the FA have to shoulder a lot of the blame. I cannot see Capello surviving much longer. The press (and the fans) will be out for him now, jumping on every poor performance or selection that backfires. If that starts, he will surely be hounded out of the job.  Could save the FA some money though.

blingo

so lets ask the question. If he was available would you have him playing for us?

I WOULD.

LBNo11

Quote from: blingo on August 05, 2010, 02:04:00 PM
so lets ask the question. If he was available would you have him playing for us?

I WOULD.

I WOULDN'T

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: blingo on August 05, 2010, 02:04:00 PM

I WOULD.

No, because I honestly do not believe that he would improve our defence, if anything he would make us more vulnerable to pace.

LordNelson

Could not see Johnny P. (one of the nicest lads at the club) and Brede putting up with that tosser.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"