News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jaap Stam wants fulham 'head coach ' role.

Started by fcfulham55, December 14, 2015, 12:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcfulham55

Well I say, he should sign as player, Head Coach. Lol

I'm guessing he should have strong connections,  he was definitely a world class player in his day (as a defender too of course), played for top clubs, top managers etc..

Thoughts?
Sent from my Nokia 3310

fcfulham55

Sent from my Nokia 3310

ToodlesMcToot

Wouldn't this be the same as hiring Kit all over again and just expecting that the results would miraculously improve???

The only differences that I can see are that Stam was a better player and has more name recognition. I have no idea how the Dutch reserve team league compares to our U21's but I doubt success in it is a valid predictor of anything in England.

I hope that this isn't true. We don't need to hire a name. We need someone who's proved it in our league and has shown the capability of competing in the PL.

Every managing hire is a gamble. I want better odds this go 'round.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Buffalo76

Sammy Hyppia was no mug as a defender yet utterly hopeless as manager at Brighton. What's to say Stam will be any better? Though the obvious way of ever finding out would be to give him a chance.

alfie

Quote from: Buffalo76 on December 14, 2015, 04:48:31 PM
Sammy Hyppia was no mug as a defender yet utterly hopeless as manager at Brighton. What's to say Stam will be any better? Though the obvious way of ever finding out would be to give him a chance.
My favourite all time player Bobby Moore, was a useless manager
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

alexmur

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 14, 2015, 12:51:05 PM

I'm guessing he should have strong connections,  he was definitely a world class player in his day (as a defender too of course), played for top clubs, top managers etc..

Thoughts?
wasn't he banned for failing a drugs test and was he not booted out of man u for something similar. not sure I'd want him around our youth players

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Robbie

NO NO NO ... we want someone with experience for where we are. Not a try-out for someone who has just got their badges.

And NO Murphy !

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Robbie on December 14, 2015, 05:42:25 PM
NO NO NO ... we want someone with experience for where we are. Not a try-out for someone who has just got their badges.

And NO Murphy !

I am sensing a lot of negativity and cynicism in you today Robbie. Chin up old boy...it could be worse, we could support Chelsea.

cmg

Ajax u21 play in the Jupiler League (Dutch 2nd tier)

Ajax u21 (coach Jaap Stam) currently  13 out of 19  - p17  w4  d6  l7

Nick Bateman

First I have heard of it: if Stam has any coaching credentials we should consider it.  This is the 'thinking out of the box' I have been constantly referring to that Fulham should start to do - much better idea than the predictable Steve Clarke/Nigel Pearson brigade.

Remember Tigana....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 14, 2015, 07:04:38 PM
First I have heard of it: if Stam has any coaching credentials we should consider it.  This is the 'thinking out of the box' I have been constantly referring to that Fulham should start to do - much better idea than the predictable Steve Clarke/Nigel Pearson brigade.

Remember Tigana....

Sorry but, managing Ajax's U21's doesn't quite stack up to managing Lyon and AS Monaco - the latter to a Ligue 1 title to go along with Manager of the Season awards.

One choice may be thinking outside of the box. The other is more like looking around the edges of the box for pieces of lint.

Stam may turn out to be one hell of a manager but he needs to prove even a hint at that before being considered here.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

J.Perkins

Everything the papers have printed over the last month has been predominantly rubbish, and until anything actually made Sky, I don't believe a word. The papers clearly no absolutely nothing. They only found out about Gray when he was actually taking training. We are a very secretive club.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: alexmur on December 14, 2015, 05:32:00 PM
Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 14, 2015, 12:51:05 PM

I'm guessing he should have strong connections,  he was definitely a world class player in his day (as a defender too of course), played for top clubs, top managers etc..

Thoughts?
wasn't he banned for failing a drugs test and was he not booted out of man u for something similar. not sure I'd want him around our youth players

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good point Alex
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

H4usuallysitting

Why Stam.....if we went for him, then we might as well go for Danny Murphy

Nick Bateman

I like Murphy, hearing him constantly referring to Fulham on a major radio station is ducky, but he sounds so conventional (as are Clarke/Pearson) it rather puts one off!  I would prefer to gamble with a Stam - may be exciting while it lasts, provided he employs exciting ideas.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

RaySmith

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on December 14, 2015, 10:20:38 PM
Why Stam.....if we went for him, then we might as well go for Danny Murphy

I'd rather have Murphy!

Stam seems an odd choice - another gamble, when I thought the club was looking for experience.

Chutney

I don't think experience matters, what matters is that we play attacking football and start asserting some dominance on this division,, Stam could have us doing that, the ajax mentality has always been to play very good football!
C O Y W

RaySmith

I thought the club said they were looking for experience!

We played good attacking football under Kit, it was our defence that was the problem, and still is.

Rhys Lightning 63

I don't think Stam would be all that much of a risk. Take a look at Jimmy Floyd. He was only in charge of Antwerp for one season, then moved over to Burton and took League 2 (and subsequently League 1) by storm.

Who's to say Jaap Stam won't be the same, having been at Ajax and Man Utd (both on the field and off at BOTH clubs), he must have picked up SOME tips and tricks to bring in.

Combine that with Paul Clement at Derby County, this is his first job in management, but he seems to be doing quite well (without their best player in Will Hughes I might add), all beacause he is using what he picked up from his other jobs.
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense