more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (15/12/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 14, 2015, 07:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Manchester United legend Jaap Stam tells Fulham he wants Craven Cottage job

Jaap Stam has made it clear that he is keen on a move to England. (Picture: Getty Images)

Former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam has reportedly informed Fulham that he wants the manager's job at Craven Cottage.

The Dutchman, 43, has gained experience as coach of Ajax's reserve side and has also completed his Uefa licence.

According to the Daily Mirror, Stam has already told Fulham that he's keen on the role and has publicly admitted that he wants to work in England.

'As soon as I get the opportunity to work in England, I will go for it,' said Stam, who won the Treble with United in 1999.

Stuart Gray was placed in temporary charge of Fulham last week, but Stam could take on the Championship strugglers.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/14/manchester-united-legend-jaap-stam-tells-fulham-he-wants-craven-cottage-job-5563670/#ixzz3uKHF3Lf6

WhiteJC

James Husband Returns To Boro Ahead Of Burnley Visit

Defender back after loan spell...
Defender James Husband has returned to the club ahead of Tuesday's Riverside Stadium clash with Burnley (7.45pm).

The former Doncaster Rovers man has figured 13 times for Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship this season after joining the Cottagers on loan in August.

Husband's return provides further strength in depth for Aitor Karanka's squad as Boro approach a busy Christmas period that includes top of the table clashes with both Brighton and Derby County.

Boro will go into Tuesday's game against Burnley on the back of a 0-0 draw against Birmingham City at the weekend.

Read more at http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/james-husband-middlesbrough-fc-boro-fulham-burnley-2850258.aspx#e5tuGDb3hlLHfP7r.99

WhiteJC

That Play-Off Position Looks a Long Way Off - Notes for Fulham

HarryfromBath assesses the mood in the opposition camp ahead of Tuesday night's game at Craven Cottage by delving into their forums.

"We have not won since we sacked Kit Symons over a month ago", "I cannot believe some are still thinking about the play-offs or the top 10. Put the anchor down and hang on for 15th", "We look every inch a team likely to go into free fall. It is now six games since we beat Bristol City."

"Nearer to safety, a seven-point cushion from the bottom three now." Saturday's 2-2 home draw in the Cottagers' derby against Brentford took their winless run to six games. With a defence conceding 15 goals in six matches and no manager appointed for the last four, alarm bells have been ringing.

"Milton Keynes played some nice football against us but yes, everybody does. It doesn't seem to be very difficult to do", "When you hear the names on our teamsheet you would think we have the talent to be running away with this yet week in, week out it seems a struggle."

"The honest truth is that our players are not the best in league. We have seen in a number of games how they have been outplayed on a one-to-one basis, particularly in the air, physically and often for pace", "Looking at results and our current position, I would settle for 10th this season."

"We didn't do anything this summer other than sign Championship level players and combine them with an inexperienced, uninspiring and predictable manager. How [owner] Shahid Khan can expect anything other than mid-table at best is beyond me", "What hurts me most is that we haven't tried."

Shahid Khan
"Well done to the Fulham FC management for ruining another season again", "People expect them to show a level of competence and appoint a new manager. Not to have done so four weeks after Kit Symons left is a disgraceful state of affairs", "The only flaw I see is in the way the club is run."

"We are a mid-table second division team run by an owner who has no plan", "My days of backing Shahid Khan are numbered." While the owner is personally liked by fans, a series of unsuccessful management appointments in quick succession have left many questioning his judgement.

"The club is so poorly run from top to bottom that I cannot see any way out under Khan's ownership. Whatever we do or whoever we employ, the balance doesn't seem right", "There must be good managers out there, young or old. We need another Roy Hodgson. There must be one somewhere."

Stuart Gray
"Gray's appointment in his current position is a good thing. He will hopefully help get the defence sorted and stop the leaking goals. He will give the owners time to continue their search for the right person", "He's a respected coach who can organise a defence and he will strengthen the first team."

The appointment last week of the former Sheffield Wednesday boss to the post of senior coach has been welcomed by the vast majority of Cottagers. "The owners are capable of making far worse decisions than this. I like this appointment and it could be a good thing bringing in Stuart Gray."

"A bit of organisation and some leadership at the back will be a solid start", "Gray has a track record to back up his comments and is known as a defending coach. This is our main problem, so let's give him more than a few games to see what he can do", "It is difficult not to improve our defending."

"Patience needs to be the order of the day", "Here's hoping but there is only so much even the best coach can drill into players in five days", "He talked about defending set-pieces better and for that I am thankful."

Formation
"All of our Europa League squad knew what it was to play as a team. Each had a role and knew it well and even our fringe players followed the set-up. Without each player doing their part in a well-oiled machine we will perform moderately. It is down to implementing a system and following it."

While the Cottagers' defence has been heavily criticised, many are quick to acknowledge that the team has not functioned as a unit. "I can see a clear gulf between watching us and watching the teams in the top five places. They look better managed and better structured with evident synergy."

"It takes longer than five days to sort out a defence. I really hope Gray can find a holding midfielder to sit in front of the back four. We also need more height in the side to be able to defend set pieces", "We need a whole new midfield. The opposition just walk through ours."

Lonergan

Richards Garbutt Stearman Ream

Parker O'Hara

Fredericks Cairney

Dembele McCormack (c)

Saturday's team for the Brentford derby (above) kept with the 4-4-2 formation which has been most used this season, although fans have been happy to see the back of the diamond favoured by former manager Kit Symons. "Why oh why do all of the coaching staff think diamonds are a good idea?"

"Our midfield is so attack-oriented as are our full-backs that our centre-backs are exposed an awful lot", "Under Kit it looked like no work was done on our team shape or defensive structure. It was a case of people gambling on what they had learned beforehand in their careers."

The midfield squad is very unbalanced and has offered little by way of width or protection to the defence. The lack of options in this area has not been helped with the news that former Town loan player Ryan Tunnicliffe is out for up to 10 weeks having undergone surgery on a hamstring injury.

Fulham 2 – 2 Brentford
In what was seen as an entertaining derby, Alan Judge opened the scoring for the visitors from the penalty spot on 18 minutes after a poor challenge by recalled right-back Jazz Richards. "It doesn't matter what coach you are. You can't coach Richards to defend", "He's always good for a penalty."

The game was turned around when James Tarkowski headed an own goal five minutes before the break and a Moussa Dembele strike on 64 minutes put the hosts ahead. Jack O'Connell earned a point for the Bees turning in a flick from a corner on 71 minutes. "Set pieces are a chronic malady."

While Stuart Gray is seen by Cottagers as a solid defensive coach, they were impressed with the attacking substitutions (above) which he made after O'Connell's equaliser, playing four strikers including Cauley Woodrow out wide and going for a win with a late cavalry charge.

"Have a team ever been so bad a defending corners?", "Surely there is someone out there who can work with this bunch of players and teach them how to defend set pieces." While there were familiar grumbles about set-piece defending, several fans spotted some green shoots emerging.

"Overall I saw signs of a better defensive display. We defended and closed down from the front and the work-rate was much better. We defended in numbers and were hard to break down for big periods."

Nottingham Forest 3 – 0 Fulham
"That was truly terrible. We had more possession, attacks and shots on target in the first half. Then we conceded from a corner so we had to chase the game. A second goes in and it was game over", "I just signed in to see the score, same old stuff, eh? Corners? You can write the script these days."

Forest enjoyed a comfortable win courtesy of two Matt Mills goals, both from corners just before the break and on 78 minutes and scored either side of a poached Chris O'Grady effort on 52 minutes. Mills was denied a hat-trick by the woodwork late in the game from another Forest corner kick.

"The first Forest corner equals a goal", "What a shock, when will we ever learn?", "Does no one in the coaching team see what a shambles we are defending corners?", "Shall we just get George Graham in for a few months to sort out the defence?", "Not a bad idea."

The manner of this defeat left several Cottagers feeling very concerned. "I wish there was some light at the end of a very long, looming tunnel but I for one can't see any. That wasn't far short of humiliating", "If we don't sort out a coaching team we will be relegated."

Fulham 1 – 1 Preston
"First day of the new manager – eight hours of corners", "Preston score 12 goals in 17 games and it only takes them 11 minutes to score against us", "Another wonderful Saturday afternoon on the cards, what a complete waste of time as usual", "Behind from a corner? What a state we are."

Ross McCormack rescued a point for Fulham with a freekick on 77 minutes after the Lilywhites had opened the scoring from a Joe Garner header following a short corner after 11 minutes. The poor defending for the Preston opener was met with a weary resignation by Cottagers.

"Only one point, we have to start winning games like this", "Maybe our players aren't as talented as we think they are", "There is no maybe about it", "The ship is all over the place without a captain at the helm", "It will take a long time to fix the mess Kit left us with."

Goalkeeper and Defenders
"We have missed Andy Lonergan's presence on the pitch." The 32-year-old former Bolton keeper replaced Cardiff loan signing Joe Lewis against Brentford after missing five games with a hamstring injury. "He made one late save from a shot which looked destined for the corner of the net."

Andy Lonergan playing for Bolton

"Welcome back Andy!", "Lonergan is easily our best keeper", "Some of his saves against Brentford were first class", "Our back four needs his vast experience", "He is less error-prone than Lewis, who runs around the penalty box like a headless chicken, "He has to do better to get ahead of Lonergan."

Cottagers were less happy with the return of 24-year-old former Swansea right-back Jazz Richards. "Another Richards' penalty, the guy is a complete liability. I hope he never plays for Fulham again", "His lunge was disappointing and seems to be a bit of a habit", "He's starting where he left off."

"If Ryan Fredericks was not fast he would probably be another pointless player, certainly pointless on the wing anyway. He is reluctant to sprint forward and never makes a run." The 23-year-old right-back played for Middlesbrough on loan last season from Spurs. "He is a handful and a great outlet."

"Lightning quick", Fredericks played further forward against Brentford but fans think he is a more effective full-back. "He is the one player in the team with winning pace but where was he? He needs to find space in a wide position and we need to find him with early balls so he can run at the defence."

"Can I just say that the Brentford game was Luke Garbutt's best?", "I thought he had a great game." The 22-year-old on-loan Everton left-back "showed good determination. He made mistakes like everyone else but recovered well", "He hasn't played a lot of football so isn't very match sharp."

"Tim Ream isn't a centre-half. He's a left-back and can't head the ball well enough." The 28-year-old ex-Bolton man "is very flimsy and probably an outer centre-back in a defensive three. At full-back he doesn't support attacks sufficiently", "He lacks a physical aggressive edge. He seems a nice player."

"I would not mind seeing Ream start at the base of midfield because he is steady on the ball and fairly mobile. I feel he's almost too nice", "Richard Stearman and Ream like the ball at their feet and try to play it out themselves", "We probably need a less skilful traditional defender at centre-half."

"Dan Burn is indeed great in certain situations, principally those that involve an aerial bombardment and a tall centre forward. That happened to be fairly frequently in the Championship." The 23-year-old ex-Darlington centre-half "is as commanding as you would expect but he can lapse in concentration".

"Although Burn is good in the air, his weaknesses on the deck make him a liability", "He's good in the air but turns like an oil tanker", "He can't run but is good in the air and to be honest that is what we need", "Milton Keynes exposed his weak side by keeping the ball on the ground and pressing him."

Richard Stearman
"I like Stearman but he needs to play alongside a commanding centre-back." The 28-year-old ex-Wolves man "is decent but physically not the strongest", "He is a good Championship player but he needs the right partner and I am not sure Ream is that", "He is strong but not so good in the air."

The former Town loan signing "makes thunderous challenges" and "crunching tackles", "Stearman is a vocal defender. You can hear him from the stands. If he stays solid he's an option as captain", "I thought he and Ream would be solid but they now look error-prone and short of confidence."

Central Midfielders
"We have not had a true holding midfielder all season. We have had some playing further back than the others but basically all our central players are attacking players by inclination. We are too open down the middle. The defence would look stronger with a true ball-winner sitting in front of them."

Scott Parker
"Old, slow and ineffective", "The fact that the Brentford game changed completely in our favour when Scott was taken off speaks for itself", "He is very backwards and sideways playing alongside O'Hara", "There were obvious signs of rustiness as he looked to play his usual short passing game."

"To play in central midfield you need to be at least one and ideally two of the following: shield, recycler or playmaker. Against Brentford Parker was none of them. He was very poor particularly when we were in possession. He simply hid and did not make himself available for the ball."

"Are we missing Scott Parker? No." The 35-year-old former Spurs and West Ham player "has been in decline for a few years now. No matter what he has accomplished, it is all in the past", "He is in the dwindling of his career", "As good a player as he has been it is time for Scotty to turn it in."

Jamie O'Hara
"If O'Hara's passion was translated to talent or shared among his team-mates we might not be in such a pickle." The former Wolves man "was such an underwhelming signing at the time but he has been absolutely brilliant for us", "One of the few shining lights in this up-and-down season."

The 29-year-old has been criticised for his defensive work. "Defensively O'Hara is pretty poor unless the game is at his toes. Players run past him with ease. He takes up poor positions and can be picked apart or run around easily", "We suffer defensively due to his lack of athleticism and movement."

His drive and work on the ball have nevertheless been praised. "He has more leadership qualities than Ross McCormack and should be our captain", "He is normally the go-to player when someone needs a pass while also taking our play forward. I hate to think where we would be without him."

Wide Midfielders
"Ben Pringle was the worst man on the pitch against Forest and it is not the first time I thought that. He shouldn't be anywhere near a respectable Championship side. He offers absolutely nothing." The 26-year-old ex-Miller "is lightweight, can't beat his man, won't get stuck in and gives up too easily".

"We have the foundations of a good team and Pringle was brought in to be a part of that", "He's slow, weak and one out of every 10 is a great cross while the other nine go wayward. He has no skill, desire or confidence to take on a full-back", "His high-energy harrying is like an old man shuffling."

"Alexander Kacaniklic's inconsistency drives me mad. It is odd that a player who promises so much is never given a chance by so many different managers." The 24-year-old Sweden left winger "is hot and cold, but mainly cold", "He seems best when starting deeper and not hugging the touchline."

"Kacaniklic is not strong enough and doesn't defend, so exposing our full-backs on the side he is playing. Often they end up trying to cope with two players running at them", "He is weak physically and so over-reliant on his left foot it is embarrassing", "His finishing and final ball needs refinement."

Tom Cairney
"The wide left needs an outstanding player with pace but Cairney is no wideman", "I don't see him as a player naturally covering for an overlapping full-back." The 24-year-old ex-Blackburn man "was guilty of abandoning his defensive duties against Forest, leaving Mills and O'Grady on their own".

"Playing Tom Cairney in a central position after the break against Preston allowed him to be creative and take the reins in the final third, a role in which he flourished", "He showed the ability to move the ball quickly and effectively through the middle. He adds a dash of verve. More of this please."

Strikers
"The most pleasing aspect of the season is that we are top scorers. That is a foundation if ever there was one." The Cottagers have a balanced attacking quartet with Moussa Dembele using strength and athleticism balancing Ross McCormack and Cauley Woodrow's movement and technique.

"Cauley Woodrow's problem isn't Dembele or even that he is McCormack's under study. His main problem is that Ross doesn't get injured or suspended." The 21-year-old youth product "is a very talented lad and his time will surely come", "He does seem to be getting the short straw."

Matt Smith
"A unique option off the bench", "Matt Smith always gives defenders something different to worry about and it is good to see us winning things in the air." The 26-year-old ex-Oldham and Leeds target man "is a useful Plan Z", "He quite clearly causes teams problems when he comes off the bench."

Smith has his critics. "He has scored goals with his feet but his all-round play is sluggish. He lacks the pace, mobility and urgency Dembele provides when the ball is played", "He cannot run in behind the opposition and his releasing of the ball is incredibly slow, making him an ineffective play-off point."

Some Cottagers worry that the team's playing style alters when he appears on the pitch. "Tall players bring out the instinct in footballers to knock it long and that is what we have done", "Smith is more than a target man. He's a goal poacher, taking the tap-ins but also capable of a rasping drive."

Moussa Dembele
"Pace and anticipation, these are what Michael Owen had. Moussa is not at that level but he has both of these", "Moussa's biggest strength is his anticipation of the play. We have seen him get in the right place at the right time to poke in goals alongside McCormack in the penalty area."

"To have that much poise, confidence and composure is a fantastic asset. He could easily be the next Louis Saha", "He has massive potential but does goes missing in games. He does not work opposition defences and lacks vision in the final third to link up or feed colleagues", "He is still very raw."

The 19-year-old France U20 international "is a decent finisher and he adds pace, arguably the best weapon in the Championship. He has formed a decent partnership with McCormack especially as it is in the early days", "He has pace and power but has now added the composure which was lacking."

Ross McCormack
"My love for Ross knows no bounds", "Our best player by a mile", "I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Like it or not, we would be in League One without him. In many games he's the only player on either team who can create things", "What a partnership him and Dembele are forming."

The 29-year-old former Cardiff and Leeds man "likes to roam and get on the ball but is just as good in the box", "His work rate is exemplary, his finishing is of the highest class and he creates any number of chances for the rest of the team", "His off-the-ball movement and passing are immense."

"I would not have Ross as captain", "He is not the combative and fiery type to get the troops worked up when the need arises", "He shows no leadership, gives no encouragement and can be negative", "I would rather he had the freedom to play his game and completely focus on himself."

"If McCormack is up to his old trick of dropping deep, then he is not that striker we need in the box and leading the line", "He wants the ball and drops deep to get it. I would prefer he did not, but stayed pressed up against the last defender. He is absolutely our most talented player", "A beauty."

Cottagers' Views on ITFC and the Game
"I have not got too much faith in us against Ipswich on Tuesday." As is normal for a midweek game, there has been little discussion about us or the game over the weekend. I will up- the forum on Tuesday afternoon if there is sufficient comment and link this on my Twitter feed.

That said, Cottagers did pick up on one comment - "Mick McCarthy likes to hit the forwards a bit early" - made by Stuart Gray and it prompted one brief conversation. "It's too early to tell about the football, but Mr Gray does a decent line in wry understatement."

"The ball will be coming down with snow on it. I hope the defence doesn't freeze", "It's plain to see however that Gray knows the division and good to hear him already talk straight away about the next game", "It proves he is looking at how the opposition set up and play.

"It will be a busy night for Dan Burn ahead", "After falling out of favour for the last few matches will be interesting to see if Gray actually uses Dan Burn in defence or even Matt Smith up front from the start to add height to our starting line-up."

"Ipswich will be a tough game. They are direct, well-organised, hard to break down and physical. Last couple of times I've seen them on TV they've not been spectacular but when they get a chance, they take it. We'll have to be on top of our game and defensively sound to get anything out of this one."

Websites
The busiest Fulham message board is the well informed and courteous Friends of Fulham.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/28653/?

WhiteJC

Fulham set their sights on Coventry City boss Tony Mowbray

Sky Blues manager on Championship club's radar as they search for replacement for sacked Kit Symons

Coventry City's manager Tony Mowbray

Coventry City boss Tony Mowbray is emerging as the prime target in Championship club Fulham's hunt for a new manager.

Speaking after the Sky Blues' 1-0 defeat at Sheffield United yesterday, Mowbray stressed that he has had no conversations with the Londoners who are still looking for a replacement after sacking Kit Symons five weeks ago.

But it is understood that the Craven Cottage club are impressed by the way that 52-year-old Mowbray – who signed a two-year deal in the summer – has transformed the Sky Blues from relegation battlers to promotion favourites on a comparative shoestring.

And if they do make a formal approach Mowbray would face a difficult decision as to whether he wants to build on the platform he has established at the Ricoh Arena or step up to a club with deep pockets and ambitions to return to the Premier League.

It certainly makes for an anxious build-up to Christmas for Sky Blues supporters who, despite yesterday's slip at Bramall Lane are convinced he offers them their best chance for many years to become upwardly mobile.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/fulham-set-sights-coventry-city-10594766?

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup Commences

Fulham Under-18s get their 2015/16 FA Youth Cup campaign under way on Monday evening (7pm) when they welcome Bury to Motspur Park.

The Shakers reached the Third Round after comfortably seeing off Scunthorpe United 4-1 away from home, the same scoreline which they beat Fylde by in Round One.

Bury compete in the Football League's Youth Alliance competition, and they're currently enjoying a fine season as they sit top of the North-West table. They previously went on a spectacular nine-match winning run in all competitions across September, October and November.

Fulham's last two FA Youth Cup campaigns could not have been more different. Our young Whites made history in 2013/14 when they reached the Final for the first time, only for a stoppage time goal from Chelsea's Dominic Solanke to deny them victory as they lost 7-6 on aggregate.

It was almost an entirely new team the following season who travelled to Crewe Alexandra in the Third Round, but a below-par performance saw them leave empty handed after losing 2-1.

Fans are encouraged to attend Monday's fixture at Motspur, with tickets available to buy on arrival priced at £3 for adults and £1 for concessions. You can view the official matchday programme at the below link.

FA Youth Cup rules mean that Season Ticket Holders and Members will have to purchase tickets.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/14/fa-youth-cup-commences?

WhiteJC

Fulham veteran Scott Parker sees a brighter future under Stuart Gray

Former England man believes the certainty of who is in charge now can only benefit Whites

Looking ahead: Scott Parker

Scott Parker insists a fog of confusion has been lifted at Fulham's training ground since Stuart Gray took over the running of the first team.

Gray was appointed senior coach last week to look after matters while the search for a head coach continues, and led them to a 2-2 draw against Brentford in his first game on Saturday.

Alan Curbishley initially filled the role following Kit Symons' sacking , before U21s coach Peter Grant filled in for three games, then handing over to Gray.

And it was Grant who pointed out the muddle the players had suffered after hearing too many voices in charge in such a small space of time.

Parker said: "Stuart's not been able to make much a difference yet as he's only been here a week, but things have been up in the air, so his appointment has at least cleared that up.

"Just like in any job, you need somebody to lead you and to know who it is. There's been a lot of change and a lot of voices recently.

"We now have one voice and one clear direction, which is key really. It's made things clearer and given us more focus. It was a good decision to make.

"Now we want to look ahead and get into the play-offs. We need to go forward from here as we haven't given the fans a lot to shout about over the past couple of years."

Parker believes the derby draw against a side who won 4-1 at Craven Cottage last season, in which they showed the character to come from behind and even briefly lead, will be a good starting point.

He added: "When we went 2-1 up we looked like going on and winning it, so we're a bit disappointed. We feel a bit hard done by, but a draw was probably fair on reflection.

"The wind was swirling all over the place, and it was a difficult game to get into, but we showed a lot of character to come back from a goal down, and we've got to build on that now.

"We need to take this as a step, take the positives and move on. Every game is crucial now, and we need to win as many games as we can to get back into the mix."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-veteran-scott-parker-sees-10595638?

WhiteJC

Garbutt: Positives To Take

Luke Garbutt wants Fulham to build on Saturday's point when they welcome Ipswich Town to Craven Cottage on Tuesday evening.

An end-to-end meeting with Brentford at the weekend resulted in a 2-2 draw, with both sides having chances to claim all three points from what was an entertaining encounter.

"It was a typical derby really," Garbutt told fulhamfc.com. "There were tackles flying in and at times it was frantic. In the end, a draw was probably a fair result but we pushed on and possibly could have nicked it.

"The lads are a bit disappointed that we conceded from a set-piece again but we've just got to pick ourselves up and get ready for Tuesday.

"I think we can take positives out of the chances we've created. Hopefully we'll take confidence from that into Tuesday and kick on."

The majority of those inside the ground on Saturday were surprised when Brentford were awarded a penalty in the opening stages. Even the fouled Jake Bidwell didn't claim for it following the challenge by Jazz Richards.

"I saw it and Jazz has poked the ball away," Garbutt reckoned. "It was a harsh decision.

"If it's a 50/50 call I don't think the referee can give a penalty but we've just got to take that on the chin and I thought we did well to get back in the game."

The match was only Garbutt's fourth start in Fulham colours, as a combination of injury and the form of fellow loanee James Husband kept him out of the team.

Husband has now returned to parent club Middlesbrough, and Garbutt impressed on Saturday after Senior Coach Stuart Gray brought him back into the starting XI.

"It's been stop-start," the 22-year-old said of his career in SW6 to date. "Hopefully now I can get a run of games under my belt and show the Fulham fans what I can do.

"The lads have been upbeat since Stuart came in. It's been a difficult period for us all but hopefully now we've got a bit of stability and we can push on."

After overcoming a testing period, Ipswich arrive in the capital in good form having won four of their last six matches, and Garbutt is expecting a gritty encounter.

"It will be a tough test," he admitted. "Mick McCarthy drills his sides well. They'll put the ball in behind and squeeze the play and it probably won't be pretty.

"But the Championship is like that, sometimes you have to grind results out to gain confidence before you can show off your passing football."

Tickets for Tuesday's match are available for fans to buy, priced from just £20 adults and £10 juniors. These will increase by £5 on matchday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/14/garbutt-positives-to-take?

WhiteJC

Ex-Man United defender wanted at Fulham

Ex-Manchester United defender Jaap Stam has revealed that he is keen to become a first team manager at Fulham, according to the Daily Mirror.

Stam has just completed his EUFA coaching license while working with Ajax's reserves, and now he is looking for his first management job.

There are currently two vacancies available in the Championship at Reading and Fulham, but the former United man sees a move to Craven Cottage as a good place to start his career.

Open to Talks

It has been mooted that the 43 year old has told the Fulham owners that he is open to holding talks, should they be interested in taking him on.

The Dutchman has revealed that he's is very excited about the idea of working in England. When asked about the prospect of landing a job in an English league, he said: "As soon as I get the opportunity to work in England, I will go for it."

Fulham's search hits wall

The cottagers have been without a coach since sacking Kit Symons last month. They have appointed Stuart Gray as temporary boss with his reign getting off to a decent start on Saturday when Fulham drew 2-2 with Brentford in a London derby.

This emergency measure came after three managers rejected the job, including Steve Clarke. This has put the heat on the club's chief football officer, Mike Rigg to find the right leader. The fans are becoming restless at the thought of entering January's transfer window without a replacement for Symons.

Rigg has expressed his concern that the team need to get results back on form and focus whilst the search carries on for a permanent head coach. This comes after the Lilywhites have tumbled from play off contention down to 17th in the league.

A statement was put on Fulham's website last week saying: "The search for a permanent head coach goes on, but it is important to ensure we focus fully on getting results back on track while this process continues."

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/ex-man-united-defender-wanted-fulham/120186/?

WhiteJC

Bru and Oar Back for Fulham Trip

Kevin Bru and Tommy Oar have joined the rest of the squad for the trip to Fulham ahead of Tuesday's game at Craven Cottage, while manager Mick McCarthy says winger Ryan Fraser is fit enough to start matches and Teddy Bishop continues to make progress. Larsen Touré remains sidelined with a groin injury, however.

Bru has missed the last three games with a hamstring problem, while Oar has been unavailable for the last two matches with a knee injury.

"Kevin Bru's travelling and Tommy Oar's travelling," McCarthy said. "Bish is training and he's had no complaints about anything, which is great. It's good to have the two lads back. And everybody's fine [after Saturday]."

Scotland U21 international Ryan Fraser was back in the squad on Saturday having returned to Town from parent club AFC Bournemouth, where he had undergone his rehab after his knee injury, the day before.

McCarthy says the 21-year-old is fit enough to start games, but hinted that he would be on the bench at Craven Cottage.

"He's ready to start a game, no question," the Town boss added. "Watching him, he's been terrific in training over the last few days.

"Complete 90 minutes? That's another thing altogether but he can start, he's sharp and strong enough and completely injury free.

"He's trained brilliantly. But I've just spoken to him and said 'Look, we've been playing well and winning' and he understands. He's back and he's ready to go. If I need him, he can play."

Larsen Touré is still out with his groin injury but McCarthy says that was to be expected: "Larsen was always going to be three or four weeks, he really hurt his groin. Hopefully he'll be OK."

Luke Varney is continuing his comeback from the ruptured achilles he suffered while on loan with the Blues during the play-off semi-final in May.

McCarthy says the 32-year-old, a free agent following his release by Blackburn in the summer, will travel with the squad to Fulham with talks regarding his Town contract continuing.

"They're ongoing," McCarthy said. "He trained with the first team today and he's travelling with us today just to come to the game.

"The lads he'd be training with are off tomorrow and then we'll have a decent group training with on Wednesday."

En savoir plus sur http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/28655/?#xwkDdXo4BwF9mlLE.99

WhiteJC

Everton FC: Luke Garbutt admits "stop start" beginning to Fulham loan spell - but vows to kick on

Blues loanee has made just four starts since joining Cottagers in the summer

Luke Garbutt, Fulham

Luke Garbutt admits his loan at Fulham has been "stop start" so far, but says he is ready to establish himself as first choice for the Championship side.

The Everton left back is on a season-long deal at Craven Cottage, having signed a long-term contract with the Blues back in the summer.

But a combination of injury and the form of another loanee, James Husband, has restricted the 22-year-old to just four starts in all competitions.

The latest of those came in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Brentford, and with Husband having returned to parent club Middlesbrough, the England U21 star says he is now looking to show Fulham fans – and any Evertonians interested in his development down in London – what he can do.

"It's been stop-start," Garbutt said. "Hopefully now I can get a run of games under my belt and show the Fulham fans what I can do.

"The lads have been upbeat since Stuart (Gray, the caretaker manager) came in. It's been a difficult period for us all but hopefully now we've got a bit of stability and we can push on."

Garbutt impressed when making the step up to first-team level at Goodison last season, and is tipped as a long-term successor to Leighton Baines in the left back role.

Speaking to the ECHO last month , Garbutt vowed to return to Merseyside stronger after his loan in the capital.

"Last season I did well at Everton and my ambition was to really push on," he said.

"But the injury knocked me back quite a lot so I have just got to keep working hard in training and I believe I will come out of it stronger.

"The idea was to come and play games, it's just one of those things, the injury has disrupted that."I have just got keep going and see where it takes me."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-luke-garbutt-admits-10597882?

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Ipswich

Fulham coach Stuart Gray has no fresh injury worries ahead of his side's Championship clash with promotion hopefuls Ipswich, but defender James Husband is no longer available after returning to parent club Middlesbrough.

The Cottagers drew 2-2 with Brentford at the weekend and, after an impressive display in defence, Luke Garbutt is hoping to keep his place, having struggled to break into the side due to injury and Husband's good form.

Midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe (hamstring) is not expected back until February and Fulham are without 23-year-old goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli due to a knee injury .

Defender Jack Grimmer has stepped up his fitness in recent weeks after picking up an ankle injury in the Capital One Cup in August and he could make a return to the squad.

Kevin Bru and Tommy Oar have both handed Ipswich a boost by recovering from hamstring trouble.

Larsen Toure (groin) and Ryan Fraser (knee) are still unavailable, but Mick McCarthy's men will be keen to build on their 1-0 weekend win over MK Dons.

The Tractor Boys have now won three straight games on the road for the first time since January 2009 and will chase another away victory at Craven Cottage.

Ipswich will make the trip to south west London aiming to consolidate a place in the play-off picture.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/339775/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Ipswitch

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Tuesday, 15 December Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS
Stuart Gray has no fresh injury worries for Fulham's midweek match against Ipswich.

Midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe (hamstring) is not expected back until February while Defender Jack Grimmer (ankle) could make a return to the squad.

Kevin Bru and Tommy Oar have both handed Ipswich a boost by recovering from hamstring trouble.

Larsen Toure (groin) and Ryan Fraser (knee) are still unavailable.

MATCH FACTS
Fulham are winless in seven against Ipswich in league competition, losing five and drawing two.
Daryl Murphy scored three times against Fulham last season as Ipswich won 2-1 in both meetings.
Fulham are the Championship's top scorers (33) yet only Rotherham (36) have conceded more than them (35).
The Tractor Boys could win four consecutive away league games for the first time since April 2004.
The West Londoners have not won a league game in six attempts (D3 L3).
Ipswich striker Brett Pitman has not been on the losing side when scoring in a game since August 2014, netting in 15 games since then (W13 D2).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35035930

WhiteJC

Odds fall on Jaap Stam to Fulham but former Watford boss Slavisa Jokanovic remains bookmakers' favourite

The odds on former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam taking over as Fulham manager have shortened dramatically today, but Slavisa Jokanovic remains the bookies' favourite for the role.

Stam, who won the Champions League with Manchester United in 1999, is currently coaching Ajax's reserve team back in Holland.

The 43-year-old admitted that he would jump at the chance to work in England, saying "as soon as I get the opportunity to work in England, I will go for it."

Bookmakers Bet Victor have revealed that his odds on succeeding Kit Symonds at Craven Cottage have fallen from 66/1 to just 12/1.

Former Watford boss Jokanovic remains the frontrunner, however, at 2/7, while Stuart Gray – who is in temporary charge of the club, is available at 8/1.

"Stam was 66/1 when we reopened the market this morning and was backed into 8s following reports he had told the Whites he was keen on the Craven Cottage vacancy," said Bet Victor spokesperson, Charlie McCann.

"In the last few hours support has dried up, however, as Jokanovic has been backed into 2/7 and Stam might have to wait for another opportunity before he returns to English football. "

Gray, 55, was been installed as a senior coach last week and took charge of Saturday's west London derby at Brentford alongside Steve Wigley.

"The search for a permanent Head Coach goes on, but it is important to ensure we focus fully on getting results back on track while this process continues," said Fulham Chief Football Officer Mike Rigg.

Gray was sacked by Wednesday after an 18-month spell at Hillsborough and has also enjoyed spells in charge of Southampton and Northampton.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/odds-fall-on-jaap-stam-to-fulham-but-former-watford-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-remains-bookmakers-a3137216.html?

WhiteJC

Team news, betting, referees, form and record defeats - everything you need to know ahead of Ipswich Town's trip to Fulham

Our bite-sized guide to Ipswich Town's visit to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham.

When and where?

Tuesday night, 7.45pm, Craven Cottage

What's the team news?

There's been some good news for Mick McCarthy as Tommy Oar and Kevin Bru return to the squad following knee and hamstring injuries. Ryan Fraser is fit to start after staying on the bench at MK Dons on Saturday. Still no Teddy Bishop or Larsen Toure, though.

Who is their manager?

Stuart Gray is in charge of the first team at Fulham
Stuart Gray, formally of Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton, is leading the team under the title of senior coach. Since Kit Symons' sacking, Alan Curbishley and Peter Grant have also led the Cottagers, but midfielder Scott Parker is pleased the club have found some stability in Gray.

How have they been getting on so far this season?

Things started reasonably well by the Thames but they are currently winless in six and without a home victory since mid October. Last time out they drew 2-2 with local rivals Brentford.

Who has the best record in this fixture?

There have been just 23 meetings between these two sides, with the both each winning eight games and drawing seven.

Scott Parker is the Fulham skipper
What happened when they met last season?

It was all Ipswich, as the Blues secured a pair of 2-1 wins. Daryl Murphy scored three of the Blues' four goals, with David McGoldrick scoring the other, while Tim Hoogland and Ross McCormack scored consolations for Fulham.

Who is the ref?

Trevor Kettle takes charge of this one, having not refereed an Ipswich game since the 4-4 draw at Derby in October 2013. He's refereed 15 games this season and has already showed 66 yellow cards as well as six reds. He's shown two red cards in a single game on two occasions.

Who is the Fulham danger man?

Ross McCormack, the £11million man, has to be the Fulham danger man. Despite his undoubtedly inflated price tag, which has been heavily scrutinised, he can cause problems from anywhere on the pitch and possesses a rocket of a shot.

What are the bookies saying?

The Blues are slight favourites at 8/5, compared to the hosts at 9/5, with the draw priced at 5/2. Daryl Murphy and Ross McCormack are both 11/2 to open the scoring, while Ryan Fraser to score last after coming off the bench is in at 12/1.

Anything else worth knowing?

Jimmy Bullard has played for both clubs
The Blues are unbeaten at Craven Cottage since Boxing Day of 1963...when they lost 10-1 in what remains the club's biggest ever league defeat.

http://www.sudburymercury.co.uk/sport/team_news_betting_referees_form_and_record_defeats_everything_you_need_to_know_ahead_of_ipswich_town_s_trip_to_fulham_1_4348166

WhiteJC

Fulham manager search: Why the Cottagers are chasing Coventry City boss Tony Mowbray

Championship side are eyeing a move for the Sky Blues boss - here's the latest on their managerial search

Coventry City manager Tony Mowbray shouts on his team against Fleetwood Town

Fulham are understood to have their sights on Coventry City boss Tony Mowbray.

The Craven Cottage club are thought to have been impressed with the 52-year-old who has taken the Sky Blues to second place in League One.

It's now five weeks since the Cottagers sacked Kit Symons and the search continues for a permanent replacement during a period in which the club have failed to win a match.

Here's all you need to know about the Championship club's managerial search and how it affects Tony Mowbray.

Who was previously in charge?
Fulham sacked Kit Symons on November 8 after owner Shadid Khan grew frustrated with the club's inconsistent start to the season. They were 12th in the table when Symons lost his job.

A statement from Khan at the time said: "Kit came through for us last year at this time and helped stabilise our club on and off the pitch, and we're very grateful for that and his many other contributions over the years.

"It is now time to take Fulham to the higher level of success that we expect from our First Team Manager and our players, and our supporters here in London and throughout the world deserve."

Kit Symons

What position are Fulham looking for?
They are looking for a head coach rather than a manager.

This ruled out the likes of Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce, old-school chiefs in in sole charge deciding everything from top to bottom - and spending freely as they do it.

Who is leading the search?
Chief football officer Mike Rigg, former QPR 'technical director', has drawn up the short list.

Owner Shahid Khan and right-hand man Mark Lamping, who runs Khan's American NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars, will make the final decision on the new boss.

They had hoped to have someone in place within a few weeks but the appointment has since dragged on with several managers turning down the job.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan

Who have they missed out on already?
Steve Clarke decided to reject the chance to manage the club after holding talks with the owners. The two clubs had agreed compensation figures but Clarke performed a U-turn at the final hour after failing to come to terms. He was subsequently fired by Reading.

Paul Lambert opted to join Blackburn Rovers despite having talks with Fulham while new Valencia coach Gary Neville was reportedly a name on the shortlist before taking the job in Spain.

Nigel Pearson, John Carver, Gary Rowett and Exeter City boss Paul Tisdale have also all led the betting at some stage.

What is Stuart Gray's job with the club?
The former Sheffield Wednesday boss was drafted into the club's football management team as a senior coach last week and is managing team affairs until the Championship club finds a permanent successor to Symons.

Gray was in charge of their 2-2 draw with Brentford on Saturday and his appointment is seen as an interim one to provide proven coaching expertise.

One possible outcome is that Gray will take control of the first-team coaching duties and will be joined by someone in a managerial capacity.

While it's also possible that the job is now Gray's to lose and with a few decent results he could put himself in position to take the No.1 role.

What about Alan Curbishley?
Curbishley, who was running things alongside U21s boss Peter Grant after Symons' departure, is thought to be interested and has already admitted it is an attractive job to him.

However, despite his impressive track record during 15 years as Charlton Athletic boss, there would be concerns over the fact Curbishley has not managed a side in more than seven years.

Current contenders along Mowbray
Garry Monk

The Cottagers reportedly plan to hand the former Swansea City man an immediate return to management and are prepared to wait until the New Year for his services.

Monk is yet to finalise his compensation package with the Swans and he would be unable to take a new job until it is agreed. However, with Gray in place they are position to wait for the highly-rated coach.

Swansea City manager Garry Monk

Slavisa Jokanovic

The Serb who led Watford to promotion last term and then became the shock June departure, citing lack of concord with the Hornets board, is currently the bookies favourite at 8/11.

He subsequently moved to Maccabi Tel Aviv and the Israeli club would look to extract the equivalent of a transfer fee for their boss.

Jaap Stam

The Manchester United legend has confirmed his interest in the Craven Cottage job and would be interested in holding talks over the vacant post.

Stam, 43, has recently completed his UEFA licence and is currently the coach of Ajax's reserves side.

Alex McLeish

McLeish is eyeing a return to management in English football after a year in Belgium with Genk and is understood to have made his interest clear.

He has experience of winning promotion from the Championship after guiding Birmingham City to the Premier League in 2009.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-manager-search-cottagers-chasing-10595446?

WhiteJC

West Brom set to offer Premier League return to £7m-rated ex-Fulham man

WEST BROM could offer Kerim Frei a Premier League return if they miss out on £7million-rated QPR winger Matt Phillips.

Kerim Frei currently plays for Besiktas

Former Fulham winger Frei, who is being offered to top-flight clubs by Besiktas, is a cheaper alternative.

Newcastle and Norwich have already signalled their interest in signing Frei, 22, on loan.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/626791/West-Brom-Premier-League-7m-Kerim-Frei-Fulham-transfer-news-gossip

WhiteJC

McCarthy: No Approach from Fulham or Anyone Else

Town boss Mick McCarthy says neither tonight's opponents Fulham nor anyone else has ever made an approach for him since he took over at Portman Road with his contract with the Blues including a substantial buy-out clause. The Cottagers were widely reported to be interested in McCarthy at the end of last season.

Quizzed on whether he had received any interest from Fulham, who are currently managerless following the sacking of Kit Symons, he said: "If I had I wouldn't tell you but genuinely, no.

"But if I had I'm hardly going to sit here and say 'Oh yeah, they gave me a call and I had a chat with them', am I?

"I wouldn't do it anyway, I've told you. They all know the situation. If anybody rings me up I say 'Ring Marcus because there's a clause in my contract that you can buy me out'. Nobody's ever been bothered with that so I think everybody knows now.

"But that's fine because it stops people ringing me up. If somebody was deadly serious and thought that I was worthy of doing something else, they know the rules, don't they? And then there's a decision to make. But that's never been the case."

He says the clause was inserted when he was given the job at Town just over three years ago, a few months after he left Wolves: "I did that right at the very start when I took it out with Marcus. Don't forget, I'd only just left the Premier League at the time, seven or eight months beforehand.

"And it was so if a Premier League club wanted to take me then there was a clause in the contract.

"Not specific to Premier League clubs, it's a clause to buy me out and it's pretty restrictive enough that nobody's even going to bother [asking Marcus]."

He added: "That was there from when I took the job and I'm more than happy with it, so if everyone wants to know that's there.

"I'm sure people do know because I've been asked before and I've said before, 'Talk to Marcus Evans, if that's the case, if somebody wants to talk to me' because I won't speak to anybody.

"But I wouldn't do it. I try to look at it the other way. If people were talking to Marcus about him giving my job to somebody else, I'd be pretty pissed off, so that's how I tend to look at it and I wouldn't be so disrespectful to do it to him. And I know full well he wouldn't be that disrespectful to do it to me."

McCarthy currently has no agent and didn't have one during his playing days. Asked if he'd have one if he was playing now, he quipped: "I'd flipping need one, I'm 56! I'd want one of them super-agents, Ronaldo's agent!"

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/28659/?

WhiteJC

Could The Town Make It Four In A Row?

The last time Town won four games in succession on their travels was way back in 2004 when the blues defeated Walsall, Wimbledon, Rotherham and Gillingham so the question is, can Town do it again?

Given Fulham's current plight you would think they must be in with a good chance. Fulham have gone six games without a win and in that time have leaked 15 goals after the sacking over a month ago of Kit Symons. Even better news for the blues is that Kevin Bru and Tommy Oar are back in the squad and so too is the much missed Ryan Fraser!

Manager Mick McCarthy is unlikely to make many changes - if any, for the game against The Cottagers, who are floundering in 17th place in the Sky Bet Championship, having won just 5 of their 20 games in this division to date.

But we must be warned because although Fulham concede a lot of goals, they also manage to score a lot too and are the leading scorers in this league and of course Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele are serious goal threats.

Thankfully we have a number of our own at present and Daryl Murphy scored three times against Fulham last season, as Ipswich won 2-1 in both meetings and of course Brett Pitman is also on fire just now so there is every hope.

And here is another interesting statistic. Brett Pitman has not been on the losing side when he has scored in a game since way back in August 2014 and he has scored in 15 games since then!

Stuart Grey is the new man at the helm at Fulham and he is renowned for sorting out fragile defences, which is just as well because The Whites have leaked a staggering 35 to date, which is one less than lowly Rotherham United.

Getting back into the top six and staying there over the weekend will surely have raised the spirits of the blues squad and with more creative players at his disposal once again, Mick McCarthy will have more options from the bench if need be and this may well include Ryan Fraser.

"He`s ready to start a game, no question but complete 90 minutes? He`s trained brilliantly it true but I`ve just spoken to him and said Look, we`ve been playing well and winning and he understands that. He`s back and he`s ready to go. If I need him, he can play," the manger explained when pressed on the subject.

Reading between the lines then, it seems that if he does get a look in, it will be from the bench as an impact player and let's face it he has really made an impact from day one in a Town shirt!

With a series of very testing games ahead, it is important the blues get something from the match tomorrow night. Perhaps it is a bit too much to expect another away victory but a draw would keep us in the hunt, as we approach the busy festive football season.

Read more: http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=425860#ixzz3uNM3Q7Y9

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: WhiteJC on December 15, 2015, 08:15:48 AM

WEST BROM could offer Kerim Frei a Premier League return if they miss out on £7million-rated QPR winger Matt Phillips.

Former Fulham winger Frei, who is being offered to top-flight clubs by Besiktas, is a cheaper alternative.

Newcastle and Norwich have already signalled their interest in signing Frei, 22, on loan.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/626791/West-Brom-Premier-League-7m-Kerim-Frei-Fulham-transfer-news-gossip

Kerim Frei, now there was a player with potential. Just reading that article reminds me of what could have been
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

The Enclosurite

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on December 15, 2015, 09:36:02 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on December 15, 2015, 08:15:48 AM

Kerim Frei, now there was a player with potential. Just reading that article reminds me of what could have been

Agree, would love to have seem Kerim flourish with us instead of leaving so soon.

Don't we still have an interest in him?  The move could be worth a few quid to us if it happens.
¡COYW!