watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stuart Gray pre match Bolton comments.

Started by Lighthouse, December 17, 2015, 03:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

To think some fans called his comments a breath of fresh air when he first came.

Thursday 17 December 2015 14:15

Stuart Gray is expecting to come up against a hungry Bolton Wanderers team at the Macron Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Trotters currently sit bottom of the Sky Bet Championship with their financial situation well documented, but our Senior Coach will not be underestimating Neil Lennon's side.

"One thing I do know about Bolton is their off-the-field issues," he said in his pre-match press conference. "So I'd imagine we'll be facing a very galvanised Bolton team that are very hard working.

"They're a strong, physical side – a bit like Ipswich – but with a thing to prove. The players are playing for their livelihoods so we have to match that as well.

"We've got a busy period coming up and it's an important period where there are lots of three points available. But we can't keep talking about it, we've got to do it, and that starts with Bolton on Saturday."

The Whites go into the weekend's encounter on the back of a 2-1 defeat to Ipswich Town, in which we found ourselves behind with just a few seconds on the clock.

Fulham haven't taken the lead in a game since the 4-1 triumph over Bristol City at the end of October – a pattern that Gray hopes will change on Saturday.

"We're trying to put everything right on the training ground," he said. "What we can't do is end up conceding a goal after 17 seconds and suddenly having to chase the game. It would be nice to actually get our noses in front, and hopefully that'll happen on Saturday.

"We're disappointed with the run that we're on but confidence is high and they've worked very hard in training. Like I said to the players, there's only us that can put it right as another game comes round, and we're getting prepared for Bolton."

The target at the start of the season was to end up in the Play-Off positions, and Gray is still looking up the table rather than over his shoulder.

"The Championship's so tight," he explained. "My glass is always half-full – I always look up and see how far we can get, but we have to start doing that with three points on the board on Saturday against Bolton, and then building from that.

"The mood is excellent. The players enjoy their training and they've been working hard, but the crucial thing is getting prepared. We've got to look forward to the Bolton game and then after that we'll look at the game against Derby."

Scott Parker was absent against Ipswich, but Gray is optimistic he'll be back in contention at the Macron, stating: "It was probably just one game too early for him because he was getting over his injury and getting to full fitness but he's joined in training today so hopefully he'll be available for selection on Saturday."

And as is often the case in Fulham press conferences these days, he was asked about the search for a new Head Coach, to which he replied: "I keep batting the question back to you but the brief at the moment is I'm taking the team for Bolton until told different.

"We can't control what goes on upstairs, all we can control is what happens on the pitch. The players won't use that as an excuse. We know we're underachieving a little bit at the moment, but it can quickly turn and hopefully it turns on Saturday."
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chutney

It worries me that after 11 games without a win "the mood is excellent" amongst the players... that cant be a good sign.... do they enjoy being terrible?
C O Y W

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 17, 2015, 03:23:34 PM
To think some fans called his comments a breath of fresh air when he first came.

Stuart Gray is expecting to come up against a hungry Bolton Wanderers team at the Macron Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Trotters currently sit bottom of the Sky Bet Championship with their financial situation well documented, but our Senior Coach will not be underestimating Neil Lennon's side.

"One thing I do know about Bolton is their off-the-field issues," he said in his pre-match press conference. "So I'd imagine we'll be facing a very galvanised Bolton team that are very hard working.

"They're a strong, physical side – a bit like Ipswich – but with a thing to prove. The players are playing for their livelihoods so we have to match that as well.

"We've got a busy period coming up and it's an important period where there are lots of three points available. But we can't keep talking about it, we've got to do it, and that starts with Bolton on Saturday."

The Whites go into the weekend's encounter on the back of a 2-1 defeat to Ipswich Town, in which we found ourselves behind with just a few seconds on the clock.

Fulham haven't taken the lead in a game since the 4-1 triumph over Bristol City at the end of October – a pattern that Gray hopes will change on Saturday.

"We're trying to put everything right on the training ground," he said. "What we can't do is end up conceding a goal after 17 seconds and suddenly having to chase the game. It would be nice to actually get our noses in front, and hopefully that'll happen on Saturday.

"We're disappointed with the run that we're on but confidence is high and they've worked very hard in training. Like I said to the players, there's only us that can put it right as another game comes round, and we're getting prepared for Bolton."

The target at the start of the season was to end up in the Play-Off positions, and Gray is still looking up the table rather than over his shoulder.

"The Championship's so tight," he explained. "My glass is always half-full – I always look up and see how far we can get, but we have to start doing that with three points on the board on Saturday against Bolton, and then building from that.

"The mood is excellent. The players enjoy their training and they've been working hard, but the crucial thing is getting prepared. We've got to look forward to the Bolton game and then after that we'll look at the game against Derby."

Scott Parker was absent against Ipswich, but Gray is optimistic he'll be back in contention at the Macron, stating: "It was probably just one game too early for him because he was getting over his injury and getting to full fitness but he's joined in training today so hopefully he'll be available for selection on Saturday."

And as is often the case in Fulham press conferences these days, he was asked about the search for a new Head Coach, to which he replied: "I keep batting the question back to you but the brief at the moment is I'm taking the team for Bolton until told different.

"We can't control what goes on upstairs, all we can control is what happens on the pitch. The players won't use that as an excuse. We know we're underachieving a little bit at the moment, but it can quickly turn and hopefully it turns on Saturday."

under achieving a 'little bit' ....is our aim mid-table? If so then yes, a little bit. If Khan is serious for Play-Offs then we're massively under achieving. In the points tally and performance wise.

We've played well once all season against QPr...

PokerMatt

I'm wondering, and Kit always said this too - is it important that players "enjoy" training?

Shouldn't they be worked hard and drilled to cut out mistakes?

I'm sure Roy's training isn't "enjoyable" but it got us results. Magath's was too far off the scale to be in the discussion, but isn't there a middle ground somewhere?
Follow me: @mattdjourno

BedsFFC

We haven't been ahead since Bristol City and it would be nice to get our noises in front.

What, like against Brentford on Saturday?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Northern Cottager on December 17, 2015, 03:41:45 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on December 17, 2015, 03:23:34 PM

under achieving a 'little bit' ....is our aim mid-table? If so then yes, a little bit. If Khan is serious for Play-Offs then we're massively under achieving. In the points tally and performance wise.

We've played well once all season against QPr...

Underachieving/Overachieving has to be measured from this point forward. Playoff places has to be off the table by now. That's just not going to happen.

For me, the judgment of the remainder of the season will be how are we winning or losing and how does that change thru to the end. We've got to be building a springboard for next season IMHO.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude