watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our kick offs

Started by mike_corkcity12, December 18, 2015, 11:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_corkcity12

So Dan Burn got slaughtered the other day for his part in the 17 second goal. But look at how Ipswich got the ball! O'Hara gave it a hoof into the corner from our kick off, giving Ipswich possession and they went down and scored.

Now this isn't a once off. I have gone through all our starting kick offs (ie excluding when we kick off after conceding as I would have been there all day :D).

At the start of the season O'Hara and McCormack would knock it to our center back who launches it to the left wing. Except small Ben Pringle was on the left wing so we always lost possession. We lost possession through hoofing it by my count 15 times from 20 games. (excluding Rotherham game as club have highlights set to private) It could be argued that on 3 times we gained territorial advantage.

The other 2 times was Garbutt was tackled before he could hoof it and Husband dribbled straight into a dead end.

Against Ipswich we conceded through this tactic. Against Leeds we should have conceded, they countered straight away. Not one shot has come from this tactic and it put our midfield and defence under immense pressure.

I also hate this tactic because it's cheap. Just bugger the ball away. You are footballers. Play with the bloody thing. Get your touch and get into the game instead of just launching it.

In saying this, I think alot of championship teams do it so we are not the only ones. But boy does it irritate me. 

Twig

Nero

they would be better launching it towards the corner flag to go out for throw to pressure them high up the pitch old Wimbledon style. But hey I haven't got a UFEA Coaching licence what do I know

bill taylors apprentice

You're right about Burn taking the flak when he was just part of a bigger problem and how no real thought appears to go into the kick off.

Its not just kick off's or even just our club as I'm constantly amazed how the worlds major sport with all its resources (even in the Championship) fails to attend to the fine details as much as some other sports.

We do seem to have turned the failure to deliver basics skills and drills into an art form while I'm sure we have people pawing over masses of statistics on their lap tops while ignoring school boy errors.

Cycle racing, a sport I have participated and worked in for many years is steeped in history and glories in its traditional ways, yet in recent seasons leads the world in looking for marginal gains that will make a difference.
And if you added all the yearly budgets of all 20 teams in the Tour de France it wouldn't amount to more than 2 or 3 mid table Championship teams budgets, so moneys not an issue.

Our team need to get their head out of the sand and get the basics right first.

Asotosyios

It's not only Fulham - a lot of teams do this and I can't understand why. Is it an English tradition? We should pass the ball around and start an attack like we would do in every other moment of the game. That way we always lose the ball and it's the same almost every time after we concede as well.