News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Instant gratification ain't gonna happen under Mark Hughes.

Started by FC Silver Fox, August 05, 2010, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FC Silver Fox

Sorry for the provocative title of this post and you're probably all in a tizwoz as you opened it.

What I mean is that we shouldn't expect a hatful of new recruits in the first week. Hughes has been out of the game for some time. It'll take him time, albeit short, to assess his squad's strengths and weaknesses. He'll use the Fulham scouting system and the work they've been doing but he'll want to recruit the type of player suited to his style of play. This will take time. I think we'll see just one transfer in, probably close to the start of the season, plus a couple of loans which may be confirmed as transfers at Christmas.

Now that leads me on to league expectations. We've got Bolton away and ManUre at home to start with. I think we'll get 1-3 points from those games. If we just have 1 point, we'll start to get the pearlies (I'll let the American Foffers work that one out).  The measure of Hughes' immediate success and his acceptance by the fans will come after the following 2 games: Blackpool (A) and Wolves (H). We really should be looking at getting 4-6 points there. Anything less and Fulhamish pessimism will set in. It will also set the shape of the season to come. Will we be looking up or over our shoulder?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

TonyGilroy

Not sure I agree.

Transfers in will come from a number of sources.

1. Those we identified during Hodgson's time and who were waiting for a new manager to say yes or no.

2. Those players that Hughes knows and wants and might be able to persuade to come.

3. The hoards of players who are available and whose agents will be frantically trying to place in the last few days of the window.

What I hope is that Hughes won't feel compelled to spend and will only bring in players that seem like worthwhile squad additions. Ultimately though I don't think the month or so when we were without a manager will make much difference. The same players will be available and as yet few clubs have done much business.

Andy Crysell

Yeah, the title of this thread suckered me in a treat!!

Whiteroom

I think that he will feel a real pressure to get a few players in before the season starts. Mark will want to shape, even in a small way, the team into something that is more his. I agree with your analysis of the first 4 games. They could be pivotal. Obviously it would be good to get on over manu again, but its a big ask. I would like to see an away win in there.

Lighthouse

He has until Christmas before any sort of opinion can be expressed on his management style. We then have the January transfer window when who goes and comes will be of interest. But really we could lose the first four games and it would mean nothing. Not that we will. But we may well lose the first two.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Vinnieffc

NogoodBoyo

A new manager either results in incredible wins that cannot be replicated when the lustre of a new voice/direction has worn off, or a mugger's buddle as unfathomable ssytems and coaching techniques are rammed into thick heads.
Coleman showed us the first route, Hodgson the second.
And then you have the Sanchez type.
So, we should have no expectations.  Better that way.
Nogood "pob hwyl i Hughes bach, isit" Boyo

Andy Crysell

You got me again!  Boy, this thread title pushes my buttons.