watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our greatest team excluding those that played in the top flight

Started by dannyboi-ffc, December 31, 2015, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Something a little different on this fine new years eve. Here's Dannyboi's rough guess as to our best 25 man squad not including anyone who played for us in the top flight of English football. That means no one like Cohen or Haynes, Saha or Finnan can count as they did both. It's simply those who represented us outside of our 2 successful eras of the 60's and Noughty's.

Obviously being a mere puppy compared to some of you fine maturer ladies and gents, I am happy to be corrected if I've got a couple wrong. And more importantly happy to be educated on missing out someone who would improve my team.

Peyton

Bacuzzi    Brown    Coleman        Parker

Stevens            Wilson                 Mitten

Rooke         Ivor         Jezzard

Stannard
Arthur Reynolds/ Black

Robbie Herrera
Len quested
Gale
Morgan

O'Driscoll
Marshall
Houghton
Frank Penn

Jim Hammond
Peschisolido
Mitchell
McCormack

A couple of them are proper old school. Arthur Reynolds played for the club over 400 times before and around the time of the first world war. Obviously I have no idea how good he was but he must have been decent to play that many. It was a toss up with Ian Black but opted for Arthur as I wasn't sure if Black sneaked into the top division side. Admittedly Reynolds is probably the only name I recall from that far back in our history simply because of the total of games.

Frank Penn again another old timer. Once held the appearance record which has since been broken twice I believe and now held by JH obviously. Frank was a one club man who stayed on as a physio for the club spending over 4 decades employed by Fulham. We call Lewington Mr Fulham but this is a service to our club that shouldn't be forgotten and he is on the legends tribute on the fulham website. Check him out.

Went for Morgan and Brown over Gale but can see this being a debate that will never end between the 3.

Bacuzzi is a fulham great and prior to Langley/Cohen probably regraded as the clubs greatest fullback.

Arthur Stevens and Charlie Mitten over O'Driscoll and Houghton simply because when speaking to older fans they are so much more passionate and insistent on the quality of these two compared to those who saw the 80s side even though both I'm told were superb.

Robert Wilson holding the middle because I couldn't really think of anyone else and I believed from older opinions that he was better than John Marshall.

I opted for Jezzard and Rooke up front simply because stats don't tell you everything. Ivor from what I'm told was a great goalscorer but anyone old enough to understand will hopefully agree Jezzard and Rooke comfortably walk into this team. But how could I leave out our record scorer? So I changed it to 433. Stuff defending, let's go for it! Jim Hammond was very close to the first 11.

Ross probably isn't worthy , certainly not of starting but I felt his versatility and free kicks were too good to ignore. He has been outstanding for us after all.

All of this was done off of memory. It wasn't researched tonight,  this is from the collection of books I have which I've read several times. So some might be slightly off but that's where you guys come in. Alot of names I left out which will no doubt be mentioned but the squad wasn't big enough for everyone. I think I'd be happy with this squad going into a championship season.

I guess this thread is one for the old boys lol. One more question, I haven't got a clue who should be captain???  :Happy New Year:

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

cmg

Interesting idea.
I suppose I'm included as  an 'old boy', so I'll give it some thought.

But I'm afraid you'll have to go back to the drawing board, Danny. At a glance, Bacuzzi, Stevens, Mitten, Jezzard, Black and Quested all played for us in the top flight (49-52).

HNY!

WoodyFFC73

Nice lot of players. No Chris Coleman? Don't think he ever played In the prem for us, could be wrong though

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: cmg on January 01, 2016, 09:40:25 AM
Interesting idea.

But I'm afraid you'll have to go back to the drawing board, Danny. At a glance, Bacuzzi, Stevens, Mitten, Jezzard, Black and Quested all played for us in the top flight (49-52).

HNY!

Why have I always thought Fulham only had 2 long spells in the top flight? The recent 13 years and the promotion in the late 50s which lasted most of the 60's. 

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: WoodyFFC73 on January 01, 2016, 09:57:17 AM
Nice lot of players. No Chris Coleman? Don't think he ever played In the prem for us, could be wrong though

Doh  fp.gif

Definitely need cookie in there. To be honest other than Symons I didn't give the Tigana side much thought as most of them went on to play in the prem or weren't good enough to consider.

Little stat for ya, Cookie is the only player in Fulham history to be in the pfa team of the year 4 seasons in a row. The award for pfa started in the 70s (i think) and Paul Parker was voted 3 times but no one has done 4 in a row. Quite incredible really considering the 4th year he broke his leg half way through. And Finnan is the only one to be voted in the top flight.

Great suggestion!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

bobbo

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 01, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
Interesting idea.

HNY!

Why have I always thought Fulham only had 2 long spells in the top flight? The recent 13 years and the promotion in the late 50s which lasted most of the 60's. 

at my age they are the only two spells.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

dannyboi-ffc

Edited Cookie into the first 11 and placed Morgs on the bench. Someone had to be released to make room in the squad so one more time.......Kit out lol.

Sorry Kit, you were the weak link imo. Could have got rid of Robbie but we need fullback cover and he has nicer hair.....

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

cmg

One James stannard

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 31, 2015, 09:48:25 PM
Something a little different on this fine new years eve. Here's Dannyboi's rough guess as to our best 25 man squad not including anyone who played for us in the top flight of English football. That means no one like Cohen or Haynes, Saha or Finnan can count as they did both. It's simply those who represented us outside of our 2 successful eras of the 60's and Noughty's.

Obviously being a mere puppy compared to some of you fine maturer ladies and gents, I am happy to be corrected if I've got a couple wrong. And more importantly happy to be educated on missing out someone who would improve my team.

Peyton

Bacuzzi    Brown    Coleman        Parker

Stevens            Wilson                 Mitten

Rooke         Ivor         Jezzard

Stannard
Arthur Reynolds/ Black

Robbie Herrera
Len quested
Gale
Morgan

O'Driscoll
Marshall
Houghton
Frank Penn

Jim Hammond
Peschisolido
Mitchell
McCormack

A couple of them are proper old school. Arthur Reynolds played for the club over 400 times before and around the time of the first world war. Obviously I have no idea how good he was but he must have been decent to play that many. It was a toss up with Ian Black but opted for Arthur as I wasn't sure if Black sneaked into the top division side. Admittedly Reynolds is probably the only name I recall from that far back in our history simply because of the total of games.

Frank Penn again another old timer. Once held the appearance record which has since been broken twice I believe and now held by JH obviously. Frank was a one club man who stayed on as a physio for the club spending over 4 decades employed by Fulham. We call Lewington Mr Fulham but this is a service to our club that shouldn't be forgotten and he is on the legends tribute on the fulham website. Check him out.

Went for Morgan and Brown over Gale but can see this being a debate that will never end between the 3.

Bacuzzi is a fulham great and prior to Langley/Cohen probably regraded as the clubs greatest fullback.

Arthur Stevens and Charlie Mitten over O'Driscoll and Houghton simply because when speaking to older fans they are so much more passionate and insistent on the quality of these two compared to those who saw the 80s side even though both I'm told were superb.

Robert Wilson holding the middle because I couldn't really think of anyone else and I believed from older opinions that he was better than John Marshall.

I opted for Jezzard and Rooke up front simply because stats don't tell you everything. Ivor from what I'm told was a great goalscorer but anyone old enough to understand will hopefully agree Jezzard and Rooke comfortably walk into this team. But how could I leave out our record scorer? So I changed it to 433. Stuff defending, let's go for it! Jim Hammond was very close to the first 11.

Ross probably isn't worthy , certainly not of starting but I felt his versatility and free kicks were too good to ignore. He has been outstanding for us after all.

All of this was done off of memory. It wasn't researched tonight,  this is from the collection of books I have which I've read several times. So some might be slightly off but that's where you guys come in. Alot of names I left out which will no doubt be mentioned but the squad wasn't big enough for everyone. I think I'd be happy with this squad going into a championship season.

I guess this thread is one for the old boys lol. One more question, I haven't got a clue who should be captain???  :Happy New Year:

Stannard not in your starting 11, how very dare you!!

b+w geezer

I'll stick to those I have seen since our 1968 relegation, excluding Moore and Best since that feels a bit like cheating. But including Harbord Street's Malcolm MacDonald, who began with us before being cast aside to widespread dismay.

Peyton in goal (over Mellor) with Coleman and Gale as centre-backs: very strong.

No full-backs that good are eligible, but Evans and Lock would not let us down..

In midfield no-one was remotely the heir to Haynes until Clark and Collins, and they continued into the prem. So it needs a different approach, with Lewington and Wilson centrally for energy and bite, with Houghton on the left and MacDonald bombing in from the right. Even in his single season for us, it was clear he was dynamic and speedy. Both my wide-midfielders were full of running and tough as nails, so would be fine tracking back, albeit with proper defensive full-backs like the ones named here, that would be less necessary.

Davies and McCormack upfront complete the team. Ross would interchange a lot with MacDonald, who'd contrive to be more central when crosses arrived.

andyk

Come on, where is Kenny Achampong, every time he got the ball there was an audible buzz around the ground. He was a maverick, lazy, but those little flashes of magic, well they made those dark days in the 80's worthwhile.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: andyk on January 02, 2016, 01:31:39 AM
Come on, where is Kenny Achampong, every time he got the ball there was an audible buzz around the ground. He was a maverick, lazy, but those little flashes of magic, well they made those dark days in the 80's worthwhile.

Lol only time I've ever seen him play was in the charity match in May. He seemed quite a character.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Does Rodney Marsh count? And what about the 75 team? Who were the stand out players there that could qualify for this?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Mince n Tatties

Oh Kenny Kenny....Kenny Kenny Kenny Achampong
:Happy New Year:

cmg

Marsh was our leading scorer in the 64/65 season.

Mellor, Slough and Mitch were all decent players - but there might well be better candidates. There's not so much strength at LB so Les Strong could be in contention.

Holders

Strong or Callaghan. No heir to Haynes until Clark/Collins?

What about Mullers?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on January 02, 2016, 09:44:48 AM

What about Mullers?

Mullery played in the top division in his first spell. Didn't Callaghan too?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 02, 2016, 09:53:42 AM
Quote from: Holders on January 02, 2016, 09:44:48 AM

What about Mullers?

Mullery played in the top division in his first spell. Didn't Callaghan too?

Yeah, you're right. I only saw them in the lower divisions.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 02, 2016, 08:30:27 AM

Oh Kenny Kenny....Kenny Kenny Kenny Achampong
:Happy New Year:

I can remember two things about Kenny. The first was his ability to dribble the ball to the bye-line before passing the ball back for someone to tap the ball into the net. The second was his complete inability to head a ball. He used to always mistime his jump and the only time I remember him heading the ball was when he played against us for Orient.

filham

Interesting idea.

HNY!

Yes, remember it as if it was yesterday, our first ever top flight match at the Cottage against Wolves with Joe Baccuzi at left back, we lost 1-2 I believe.  There was life before Haynes but at that time none of us even dreamt of the treat that was to come with the 20 year Haynes era.

Oh Danny Boy you have lost most of the best players from your team