Started by WhiteJC, January 01, 2016, 08:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Friday's results

Brighton  0-1 Wolves
QPR 1-2 Hull

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield Wed - Early Team News

Is Woodrow set to keep his place after his brace?

With 2015 being a very mixed bag when it comes to performances on the pitch, for Fulham Football Club, the Craven Cottage support are hoping that 2016 is a more settled affair, with a plethora of wins.

With Slavisa Jokanovic now at the helm, but operating under a transfer embargo, Fulham take on Sheffield Wednesday this Saturday, the first fixture that Jokanovic will take full control for, having sat in the stand for the fine 4-1 win over Rotherham.

But, as the first fixture of 2016 approaches, what have we learned with regards to the early team news?

Starting with Fulham, it would appear that having scored a brace against Rotherham, young Cauley Woodrow could retain his place.

It`s also being suggested that the old midfield war-horse, Scott Parker, could retain his place in the middle of the park and like-wise Tom Cairney.

As for Sheffield Wednesday, the Owls could be without the former Chelsea player, Sam Hutchinson, who has picked up a groin strain.

It`s also expected that their striker Fernando Forestieri could return after being left out in the 1-0 Boxing Day defeat against table-topping Middlesbrough.

COYW`s

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=428334

WhiteJC

Vital Match Preview - Wednesday at Fulham

Wednesday head south to kick off the new year in West London against Fulham. Following two wins at Hillsborough against Birmingham and Wolves a loss followed at Middlesbrough. That loss means that Wednesday must reclaim lost points in their pursuit of the Championship playoffs places. Given the Owls indifferent away form this season, the home form is what has kept them in the hunt for sixth place. If the Owls are to challenge they must start to collect points on the road and what better way to start the new year with a win. And a way of sending a statement of intent to those around Wednesday in the Championship table.

Having had a four day rest after a trip to Teeside, Carlos Carvalhal should be a little happier with the rest his squad has had as the last of the festive calendar comes to a close. This is the second of three matches between the two sides this season with Wednesday recording a 3 - 2 win at Hillsborough earlier in the season. The teams now play each other at alternate venues and these games should provide fans with some goals, but Wednesday can be forgiven for putting more emphasis on the Championship match.

Wednesday Team News -

Carlos Carvalhal doesn't have any new injury concerns to worry about after coming through Boxing day and Boro away. Questions remain over Westwood in the Owls goal but that'll allow Owls youngster Joe Wildsmith to play his third game over the festive period. Carvalhal has the option to shuffle his side giving the likes of Midfield trio Jeremy Helan, Lewis McGugan and Jose Semedo a chance to seize a starting opportunity.

The one concern Carlos has is Central defence and a partner for Glenn Loovens with Sam Hutchinson a doubt. Allowing Defenders Liam Palmer and Rhoys Wiggins to fight for a starting place with Daniel Pudil likely to start alongside Loovens in the centre back positions.

Joao, Nuhiu and Hopper have all good reason to be pushing for a start alongside star player Forestieri in the Owls attack, who should be back in the starting line-up.

Fulham Team News -

Fulham's new coach Slavisa Jokanovic assisted by ex-Owls boss Stuart Gray will be hoping to get their season back on track. Jakanovic is likely to start striker Cauley Woodrow following his brace in midweek and midfielders Scott Parker and Tom Cairney could keep their starting spots following Fulham's first win in 10 over Rotherham United on December 29th.

Match Facts -

Ross Wallace assisted all three of Sheffield Wednesday's goals in their 3-2 win over Fulham in September. Going into the festive period, he was the only Championship player to record three assists in a game.

Vital Wednesday Predicts -

@EPJwednesday Fulham 1 - Owls 2
@JoshAlexCaddick Fulham 1 - Owls 3
@greg10greg10 Fulham 1 - Owls 1
@footballtyper Fulham 2 - Owls 2

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=428350

WhiteJC

Jokanovic and those seventeen set pieces
by DAN on JANUARY 1, 2016

There's a feelgood factor around Fulham again. It might only have taken a small thing to change the mood – like the appointment of a manager with a successful track record – but the win over Rotherham, coming some two months after our least league victory, certainly helped us concentrate on moving up the table, rather than the concerns over a looming relegation battle. What was most impressive about the new head coach, however, was not his confidence in  his own ability or the belief in the 'project' that shone through during Wednesday's press conference, but the fact that, during the brief interview with Sarah Brookes, he identified several things from Tuesday night's win that could be improved upon.

Jokanovic isn't merely satisfied with winning. And that's important. Not even the most optimistic of Fulham fans can now chart a path to the play-off places. The conventional wisdom suggests that this means our season is over. Far from it. The next few weeks will tell us an awful lot about which of the players – in what is still a remarkably unbalanced squad at Championship level – can play a part in the years to come. That squad contains plenty of players who can hurt opponents and deliver victories in this league, but consistency eludes all bar a couple. Achieving an equilibrium between being offensively dangerous and defensively dicey should be Jokanovic's aim.

Much has been written about Fulham's defensively vulnerabilities and, on the various messageboards, plenty of spleen has been vented at virtually all of the defenders who have appeared in a white shirt. Each of them have their qualities and their drawbacks, but I wonder if the venom hasn't missed the point. Without the bulwark of a physically imposing, defensively minded midfielder to protect the back four, any defence will look vulnerable. It is hopeless to compare this remarkably open side with the disciplined team of the Hodgson era – because it would ascribe a defend-from-the-front mindset that is absent from the 2015 team.

Take, for example, the alarmingly high number of goals Fulham concede from set plays. Rotherham's equaliser in midweek was the seventeenth such goal this season alone. It was depressingly predictable – and preventable. Three more corners could have delivered further damage. We have seen that Richard Stearman and Dan Burn, to take the two centre backs that Stuart Gray has largely trusted in recent weeks, are perfectly able to attack the ball in the opposition penalty area. They have both been culpable of losing their men in our own box in the past. Where marking is merely the responsibility of a centre back alone, things can go awry. Perhaps it is time to return to a system preferred by the likes of Hodgson where the taller, aerially dominant centre back eschewed a specific marking duty and was tasked with repelling a ball played into the six-yard box. If the ball beat the man stationed at the near post, Brede Hangeland's job was to meet it with his head by attacking the ball. It is the kind of decisive dominance that is conspicuous by its absence these days.

We also miss a goalkeeper who can take charge of his six yard box. Mark Schwarzer treated that area as his domain. Andy Lonergan is a lot less certain on crosses and corners – and who can blame him with what has been going on in the defence in the past few weeks. Whether it is he or Marcus Bettinelli who claims the number one jersey once the Fulham academy graduate is fully fit again, there will need to be more a collective effort to solve this problem and a vocal goalkeeper is vital.

It would also be foolish to suggest that the problem is merely a set-piece one. Rotherham had 22 shots at the Fulham goal on Tuesday. They can count themselves highly unfortunate not to have scored one. Emerson Hyndman's first job is to try and create chances for his team-mates – he is not, by design or definition, the type of player who will offer amble protection to the back four and I have my doubts, considering Scott Parker's advancing age and Jamie O'Hara's propensity for distributing the ball, that we possess that type of player right now. But whilst we are offering space for offensive players to exploit in and around the Fulham box, we are asking for trouble.

Jokanovic's early comments have suggested he is well aware of the not-so-pretty numbers surrounding this Fulham side. He suggests his side need to be more like 'real men' to sort things out. This is a rather flippant solution to a long-standing problem, but the joke at least assures us that will devise a plan to tackle the problem. And it is needed, because on Saturday, Fulham will come up against Ross Wallace, whose set-piece deliveries lead to three goals at Hillsborough in the reverse fixture and caused plenty of problems. Defensive drills at Motspur Park are only part of the solution – a new strategy could calm the nervousness every time the assistant referee points their flag at the corner quadrant.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/jokanovic-and-those-seventeen-set-pieces/?

WhiteJC

Winging it can pay off, insists Sean Whalley
Shaun Whalley reckons Shrewsbury Town can take a leaf out of the Premier League upstarts' book and carry on being bold.

Shaun Whalley of Shrewsbury Town is mobbed by his team mates after he scores to make it 1-2

Boss Micky Mellon gambled on a more attacking formation in Monday's game at Crewe which saw Whalley and Larnell Cole playing as out-and-out wingers along with two strikers.

Mellon was rewarded as Cole and Whalley scored the goals in a 2-1 win that made it four points from two games against relegation rivals over the festive season.

Whalley believes the trend is shifting towards more attacking play with teams such as Leicester and Watford in the top flight profiting from a positive approach.

Claudio Ranieri's Foxes regularly feature two strikers in Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez, who have both scored 15 goals this season to spark City's remarkable march at the top of the Premier League.

Watford also play two up top in 14-goal Odion Ighalo and Troy Deeney and sit eighth after being promoted from the Championship last term.

Whalley believes the approach of those teams shows going bold can pay off as Salop prepare to go to free-falling Chesterfield, the fourth successive game against a team close to Town in the table.

"When you look at what's happened in the Premier League, Leicester and Watford are playing two strikers and a lot of pundits are saying two up front is the way to go now," said Whalley.

"It used to be the case where a lot of teams would play one main striker but it's gone back to the old days where it used to be two up front all the time. So it seems to have changed around. On Monday it worked for us."

Whalley is hoping his stunning goal is the first of many as he targets an extended run in the team after admitting he is making up for lost time.

At 28, the former Luton flyer – who also had a loan spell at AFC Telford United – is enjoying his first stint at League One level after spending much of his career in non-league.

"I'm not one for having regrets but I need to make the most of my chances now, and hopefully I have," he said.

"I haven't played in this division before, but I've had a lot of years where I've just let football pass me by.

"But now I'm fully focused on playing football. I really think I can play in League One."

So how has he kept going with so little game time over the last six months?

"I've got a good mentality – no matter what happens, I just try to keep going in training and in the reserve games I play," said Whalley. "Luckily I got my chance on Monday and I hope I've done enough to play the next game.

"I don't want to sound big-headed but I know I can easily play in this league."

Whalley is brimming with confidence but thanked the Shrewsbury fans for 'easing him in' after what could have been a nervous first half.

Town were backed by an impressive following of 1,203 at Gresty Road – easily their biggest of the season – and Whalley was indebted to them. "The crowd were different class," he said. "I came out to warm up and there was a lot there then. The support was unbelievable, and they certainly helped me in the first half, because maybe as it was my first league start I was looking to get into the game early. They gave me a lot of confidence."

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2016/01/01/winging-it-can-pay-off-insists-sean-whalley/?

WhiteJC

Scoring and taking

Carlos Carvalhal hinted towards an exciting encounter in the capital as the Owls welcome 2016 with a Championship clash at Fulham.

The Cottagers are the most converse outfit in the division, with status as the highest scorers throughout – but just one side has conceded more goals at the other end.

With Wednesday bettered only by three teams in the final third, Craven Cottage could serve as the place to be in the second tier on Saturday.

Carvalhal said: "Fulham can score goals and take goals, this is clear, so we know what we must do to win this game.

"We score a lot of goals also, so we must build on that positive and correct our accidents.

"We have a fantastic dynamic, of this I am sure, and now we must take that dynamic into the environment at Fulham.

"I also know we will be backed by thousands of our massive fans in London and at this expensive time of the year, we say thank you to them all and we want those points for you and everyone at Sheffield Wednesday."

The Owls' head coach would not be drawn on the prospects of recovering players featuring in West London.

Wednesday have sustained a number of injuries over the hectic festive period and Carvalhal added:

"I do not know the full squad of players who will be available to play at this moment but this is normal, we have to give everyone every chance.

"We have some injuries right now, mainly muscles, which is to be expected at this time of the season.

"But we would rather play games, we do not want to break.

"What I know is that no matter the team I play, this will be a good team, a confident team, and a team that can win this football match."

Read more at http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/scoring-and-taking-2879603.aspx#jAIjoTHQZ7HsyLoI.99

WhiteJC

Man Utd scout highly-rated Fulham starlet Dembele

Manchester United are scouting highly-rated Fulham striker Moussa Dembele as Louis van Gaal continues to seek a solution to his side's misfiring in front of goal, as per the Guardian.

The Red Devils' lack of threat in the final third was woefully evident in 2015 and under-fire Van Gaal will certainly be hoping his players unwrapped some new shooting boots for Christmas ahead of the New Year.

Manchester United are scouting highly-rated Fulham striker Moussa Dembele as Louis van Gaal continues to seek a solution to his side's misfiring in front of goal, as per the Guardian.

The Red Devils' lack of threat in the final third was woefully evident in 2015 and under-fire Van Gaal will certainly be hoping his players unwrapped some new shooting boots for Christmas ahead of the New Year.

Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial have hit just six goals between them in the top flight as Van Gaal continues to seek a centre-forward to save his managerial seat at Old Trafford.

And Fulham's Dembele could be the man to reignite a title challenge, with the Guardian reporting that the 19-year-old is being scouted by the club.

The France youth international, no relation to his namesake at Tottenham, rose through the ranks at Paris Saint-Germain before moving to Craven Cottage back in 2013.

He has come into his own this term though, netting nine goals in 22 appearances for a Fulham side struggling for form and sitting 18th in the Championship standings.

The youngster's fine form has sparked interest from a whole host of interested suitors though as United could face a battle for his signature.

Fulham are determined to keep hold of the starlet, whose contract expires in the summer, with Spurs and Everton also keeping close tabs on his progress, according to Sky Sports.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/man-utd-scout-highly-rated-fulham-starlet-dembele/561688#fUkl0qpRyrUf5r1Z.99

WhiteJC

Making Plans

Slaviša Jokanović takes charge of Fulham for the first time on Saturday when the Whites take on Sheffield Wednesday – and Matt Smith is the main interview in the award-winning programme.

Smith's Fulham career has been eventful to say the least. Signed by Felix Magath on transfer deadline day in the summer of 2014, he was sent off within 18 minutes of his debut at Reading. By the time he returned from suspension, the German had been relieved of his duties and replaced by Kit Symons, under whom Smith found game time hard to come by.

A loan spell at then-League One Bristol City came to fruition, with the striker notching no fewer than 13 times during his spell at Ashton Gate. He continued his scoring form upon his return to Fulham, and hit our first goal of the current campaign in the 1-1 draw at Cardiff City.

An unfortunate collision 11 days later with Marcus Bettinelli at Hull City saw the pair of them sidelined for a considerable period, but now Smith has returned to contention he's eyeing a place in the starting XI once again.

"It's been a bit crazy," he told the official matchday programme when asked to reflect on his time at the Club. "I haven't really had a prolonged period of playing. At the backend of last season I was able to get 10-12 games which was pleasing and I was happy with the way things were going post-Bristol City, certainly scoring goals and helping the team get out of a bit of bother.

"It began well this season as I started the first few games, but then to be out for a lengthy period, 10-11 weeks, it was tough. And obviously since I've been back I've found it difficult to get a good bit of game time. But with the way the fixtures are I'm sure I'll be needed at some point. Then once I get back out on the pitch it's up to me to prove my worth and get back to scoring goals regularly."

To read the full interview with Smith, pick up a copy of Saturday's programme.

Other highlights in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is also available to download digitally from 9am on Saturday - are:

Jokanović pens his first programme notes
Captain Scott Parker gives his views on the new appointment
Sakari Mattila answers some random questions in the Name Game
Reg Matthewson waxes lyrical on his spell in SW6
Nigel Worthington recalls his time at Sheffield Wednesday
Les Strong and Gentleman Jim bring fans their latest columns
And we continue to take a walk down memory lane to the 1998/99 promotion-winning season

Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download with added video content from 9am on Saturday, so whether you're at home or away, you need never be without it on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

Or to ensure you don't miss a single copy of the official matchday programme, purchase an annual subscription. Head here for full details.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/january/01/making-plans?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday
by DAN on JANUARY 1, 2016

There's a buoyancy around Craven Cottage that Fulham fans haven't felt for the best part of three years. Doom, despondency and disaster have filled the air over the last seven weeks as things lurched from bad to worse since the club sacked Kit Symons and then the Fulham hot seat seemed like the job nobody wanted. Along came Slavisa Jokanovic, a man with a proven pedigree both in this division and across Europe, and the clouds lifted. Victory over Rotherham – no without a bit of fortune – followed and there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

As I've mentioned elsewhere today, perhaps the most encouraging part of the new head coach's first in-house interview was the fact that he professed himself unsatisfied with the performance he watched on Tuesday night. Rotherham were beaten comfortably – but the scoreline flattered Fulham, who could have conceded far more than the dismal set-piece goal that they did. It can be no surprise to Jokanovic, having seen how jittery his new charges were at the back, that Fulham have conceded the joint second-highest number of goals in the Championship. His primary task will be tightening up a backline that has proven far too generous to opposition forwards since August.

Stopping Sheffield Wednesday, who have been in excellent form under Carlos Carvalhal, will be much easier said than done. The Owls sit four points off the play-off places and have improved since they brushed aside a lacklustre Fulham challenge at Hillsborough in September. On that day, Scottish midfielder Ross Wallace floated in a number of fine set-pieces deliveries that bamboozled the Fulham defence – and Wednesday could have scored far more than three they managed. The threats don't just come from Wallace's precise set-plays, but also from the prompting of Lewis McGugan, the busy nature of Barry Bannan and the energy of possibly one of the most impressive performers at Craven Cottage last season, Jeremy Helan.

Carvalhal can count on a couple of dangerous strikers to trouble whoever Jokanovic selects in defence. Fernando Forestieri has already shown he has what it takes to light up this division with Watford and the diminutive forward, who has already notched double figures for the Owls, should be refreshed for the trip to London tomorrow, having only come off the bench during Monday night's defeat at Middlesbrough after the half-time break. Lucas João has proven a smart acquisition, having arrived from Nacional in the summer, and scored seven goals, whilst forcing his way into the Portuguese national side. That's before we even get to the giant Atdhe Nuhiu and Gary Hooper, who so nearly joined Fulham on loan on transfer deadline day.

The real suspense surrounds Jokanovic's first team selection. He has played a 3-5-2 system to great effect with Watford – and a variant of that has proven successful with this Fulham side, but whether the Serbian will be brave enough to significantly change a winning team remains to be seen. The big calls will probably be whether to alter a back four that, although shaky, held out against Rotherham, sticking with a central midfield combination of Scott Parker and Emerson Hyndman and who partners Ross McCormack up front. Moussa Dembele has had an excellent season so far, but dropping Cauley Woodrow after his dominant brace would be exceptionally harsh.

The mood music might be more favourable around Motspur Park this week and Fulham have a fine recent record against Wednesday. They are unbeaten in their last nine home league meetings and have won seven of them. Indeed, you have to go back to March 1967 for Wednesday's last league success at Craven Cottage – and they have not kept a clean sheet for their last fourteen league visits. Carvalhal's side, however, are the best Wednesday team of recent vintage and will offer a stern test for Jokanovic's Fulham debut. He will at least have Stuart Gray, who was in charge of the south Yorkshire side until June, offering him insight on the opposition.

MY FULHAM XI (5-3-2): Lonergan; Fredericks, Garbutt, Stearman, Ream, Hutchinson; Parker, Cairney, Hyndman; McCormack, Woodrow. Subs: Lewis, Richards, Burn, O'Hara, Kacaniklic, Woodrow, Smith.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/preview-fulham-v-sheffield-wednesday/?

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW:Fulham -v- Wednesday

Wednesday ended 2015 with defeat,they won't want 2016 to start in the same way, can they get a positive result in the first of a two game stint against Fulham?
Wednesday start 2016 in 7th place and although they can't make the top six with a win,they can close the gap against Fulham,it's a tricky tie though.

Last game   Opposition   Result   Shots   On target   Corners   Cards   Fouls   Possession
WEDNESDAY   Middlesbrough (A)   L 1-0   6   1   5   4   23   53%
FULHAM   Rotherham (H)   W 4-1   16   8   4   0   5   56%

Wednesday might have suffered from the Birmingham game and Carlos Carvalhal was upset that the Owls had just a two day break compared to Middlesbrough's nine day break after their Boxing Day clash was called off and the Owls made a sluggish start conceding after just 44 seconds, it was as good as it got for Boro and despite the Owls' attempts to get back,that goal never came.
Fulham had few problems in beating fellow strugglers Rotherham with new manager Slavisa Jokanovic in the stands, youngster Cauley Woodrow was the star of the show netting twice.

Last five games   Middlesbrough(a)   Birmingham (h)   Wolves(h)   MK Dons(a)   Cardiff(a)
WEDNESDAY   L 1-0   W 3-0   W 4-1   L 2-1   D 2-2
Last five games   Rotherham(h)   Derby (a)   Bolton (a)   Ipswich (h)   Brentford (h)
FULHAM   W 4-1   L 2-0   D 2-2   L 2-1   D 2-2

Wednesday enter 2016 just four points off the playoffs and the aim for the rest of the season has to be improvement on the road, only MK Dons,Bolton and Charlton have registered fewer victories on their travels than the Owls with Wednesday netting just 11 points from 12 away fixtures this term.
Fulham ended a nine game winless streak against Rotherham,Fulham's defence has been the cause of their problems, the Cottagers haven't kept a clean sheet since October.

HEAD 2 HEAD   WEDNESDAY WINS   FULHAM WINS   DRAWS
29   25   15
LAST MEETING: 19th September 2015,Hillsborough, Att – 18,706
Wednesday 3-2 Fulham
(F.Forestieri 13,T.Lees 37,M.Turner 50)(J.O'Hara 31,T.Cairney 67)
Wednesday have already got one over the Cottagers this season defeating them 3-2 in September, the Owls got heavily beaten on their last visit to West London in December 2014 receiving a 4-0 shellacking.
The Owls haven't won at Fulham since 1985 although meetings between the two sides have been sparse, Wednesday's biggest win at the Cottage came in January 1961 as the Owls gave Fulham a 6-1 pummeling.

CARVALHAL'S COHORTS
Sam Hutchinson is doubtful as the Owls' problems in defence aren't yet clearing up but Fernando Forestieri should return to the starting line-up after being controversially omitted at the Riverside.
with the January window open, rumours are already beginning to swirl, Patrick Bamford has been linked after terminating his loan with Crystal Palace early.

KEY PLAYERS
Joe Wildsmith has been an able deputy for Keiren Westwood this term and Chris Kirkland has hardly been missed, with the Owls' defensive problems he could be called upon quite regularly against Fulham.
Cauley Woodrow popped up with a couple of goals in the dispatching of the menace from Rotherham and the 21 year old will have to be watched in a Fulham front line that has goals in it.

HERE COMES D-JUDGE

2015 is done with and the aim is to push on this year and become a real force in the Championship, to do that one of the things that has to improve is our away form which is one of the few things about Wednesday that has regressed under Carlos Carvalhal.
There's some factors beyond our control like injuries and the fixture list (whether Carlos likes it or not) but with the squad depth we have, tweaks rather than a full overhaul is needed. That being said, we can help ourselves by not being so sluggish to start games, we have a fighting spirit to erase these deficits we keep on putting ourselves in but do we really need to be behind in a game to start playing?
Fulham are on the back of a confidence boosting win and have more talent than their lowly position suggests, we have to start swiftly and see if we can discover the intensity and pressing we can do at our best, it leads to goals and victories.

VERDICT: 2016 doesn't start with defeat but it doesn't start with victory either, 1-1.

http://www.owlsalive.com/match-previews/2016/01/01/match-previewfulham-v-wednesday/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday: 'We all want to do something for the Owls fans' – Sam Hutchinson

THE fact that Sheffield Wednesday are yet to beat a side above them in the Championship table is an anomaly over which Sam Hutchinson is not losing any sleep.

The Owls have competed against the division's best, but are yet to take the scalp of a big-hitter.

It is something that is likely to rankle with Wednesdayites, who fear that sequence might come back to haunt them in the final analysis this term.

Yet Hutchinson's take on proceedings is somewhat different.

Wednesday, currently in seventh place, have proved consistent in terms of form against the teams directly below them, beating the likes of Brentford, Birmingham and Wolves and Hutchinson believes if that trait continues, it will help mitigate for the lack of success against the top-six.

Hutchinson told The Yorkshire Post: "At the end of the day, if we don't beat any of them (leading teams) and at the end of the season get in the play-offs and are promoted, it doesn't matter.

"Obviously we would have to beat them in the play-offs, but no one is going to say anything.

"I'd much prefer getting in the play-offs and not beating any of them rather than finishing eighth in the second half.

"You can look at statistics in certain ways and some are good and some are bad. It is what it is.

"Last season, we did well against Watford and Bournemouth who were promoted and it's swings and roundabouts. We have done well against the teams around us and the two games in which we were really bad were against teams at the bottom (MK Dons and Charlton).

"The way we look at it is that we played well against Derby and while in the two games against Middlesbrough we haven't shown ourselves to be the best, we still improved on the first meeting.

"We are getting better and it is just consistency that we have got to look for and try and get a good run of games and keep going, not just two or three games. I think that will come.

"We haven't been outplayed by many teams and can outpass most teams. If we just get a couple of injuries back and get the team settled again, we will be fine.

"I think six points out of nine over this Christmas period with how busy it has been is not a bad turnaround."

Something that Hutchinson tacitly accepts could do with improving is the Owls' away form, with Carlos Carvalhal's side heading into today's game at Craven Cottage without a win in five Championship road trips since taking the derby spoils in their televised match at Rotherham United on October 23.

Their haul of just two wins is the 17th-worst record in the division and Hutchinson admits that there is room for improvement on that count.

He added: "The gaffer wants Hillsborough to be a fortress and we have done really well there and the last two games have been brilliant and previously we have done well.

"Obviously, we want to improve our away form because we know that will get us up the table

"Fingers crossed, we can get going and improving what we are doing. We have seen the progression throughout the season. We started off slowly because there were lots of new people coming in and we have gradually got better.

"We can still do better. We have been unlucky in certain games and have just come 'off' a bit and other teams have taken advantage."

Overall, Wednesday's campaign has been an uplifting one with the future looking rosy with the 'sleeping giant' having stirred into life so far in 2015-16.

From a personal perspective, it is also a season that has proved wholesome and nourishing for Windsor-born Hutchinson, who admits that he has never been happier in his career and is hoping to be part of something special at one of football's venerable institutions.

He added: "Professionally, I am enjoying this season the most. It was a good second half of the year (2015) to me and long may it continue.

"As much as I was a Chelsea fan and love Chelsea, I am the happiest I have ever been in football and outside of football here.

"I have got my two kids up here and they love it.

"I miss living down south as I am from there. But being here has got something special and you just want to achieve something here.

"It's a dormant club, at the end of the day, and has underachieved for so many years and I think players can see it going somewhere.

"It's got that structure, fan base and a bit of money behind it and I think the club can go places.

"People can see it as a project and want to be part of doing something for all the fans."

On his future, Hutchinson, who will be out of contract in June, said: "I have spoken to the club and they know my feelings about it and I know their feelings.

"When it happens, it happens. But football is football and anything can change at any moment."

Meanwhile, a familiar face in the shape of ex-Owls head coach Stuart Gray will be in the opposing dug-out this afternoon.

And Hutchinson is quick to acknowledge the role he has played in his career with his only regret being that he could not play more games for Gray due to injury issues last term.

He added: "Stuart was the reason I signed here after my loan spell.

"The beginning of the season was great and I started really well and then got injured and never got fit again and struggled throughout last season, if I am honest.

"It was nothing to do with Stuart and down to my own fitness; I could just never get fit. But Stu was fantastic when he was here and I wish him all the best."

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-v-sheffield-wednesday-we-all-want-to-do-something-for-the-owls-fans-sam-hutchinson-1-7652591#ixzz3w4mICha1

WhiteJC

Fulham starlet on Juventus' radar
With Simone Zaza's future in Turin anything but certain, the Old Lady have turned their attention to Moussa Dembele

Juventus have turned their attention to Fulham striker Moussa Dembele as a possible signing come the January transfer window.

The talented 19-year-old has impressed with 10 goals in 24 appearances for the London club this campaign, but his future at the English side is anything but certain.

Dembele's contract expires at the end of the season, and while Fulham have reportedly offered him a new deal, it appears he is set to move on come season's end.

Juventus could make a move for the player in January, along with the help of Sassuolo, in order to bring the striker to Italy.

Much will depend on Simone Zaza's future, as the Old Lady could opt to wait until the summer to move for Dembele should the Italian remain with the Turin side past the winter transfer window.

Elsewhere, a move for Rolando Mandragora is expected to be completed in the coming days with Juve set to land the 18-year-old from Genoa.

http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/news/serie-a/juventus/fulham-starlet-radar/?refresh_ce-cp

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic has no hard feelings towards Watford but his primary focus is on improving Fulham

The Serbian was a popular figure at Vicarage Road after becoming the third man, following Graham Taylor and Aidy Boothroyd, to take the club to the top flight of English football

Slavisa Jokanovic

New Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists he has no hard feelings towards Watford after failing to reach an agreement club last summer following their promotion glory.

The Serbian was a popular figure at Vicarage Road after becoming the third man, following Graham Taylor and Aidy Boothroyd, to take the club to the top flight of English football.

But Jokanovic and the Hornets were too far apart on contract negotiations so the 47-year-old departed and moved to Maccabi Tel Aviv.

However, his focus now is on what happens with Fulham after completing his move to the club on Sunday.

He said: "I try to be a real man and live a real life and I don't start crying in my home. I want to be working. I chose another place.

"Maccabi Tel Aviv qualified for the group stage of the Champions League after a decade away from it.

"I believe in myself and the people around me. I'm sure players will put me in this situation and push hard to lift this project in my hands. It's not only in my head. My responsibility is what happens on the field."

That is not to say Jokanovic has no feelings towards Watford and he will still keep a tab on their results, but his main priority is Fulham.

He added: "I am at Fulham. I am happy with my life. I am very excited because I am here and Fulham gave me the chance to work for this club.

"Watford is my past. They play very good football in the Premier League. I wish them all the best.

"When I have the time I'll follow them too. I need to concentrate on what is in front of me at Fulham. It's an important club with many supporters who want improvement."

Head Coach Slavisa Jokanovic

Jokanovic, though, believes he has learnt a lot from his experiences at Vicarage Road as well as in Israel.

He explained: "I learnt many things. I'm going to continue to learn. I'm still a young man in this job.

"This generally; the decision to come here is a great opportunity and a great step for me. I still need to learn many things and I'm going to continue learning all my life."

Jokanović's first match in charge is today (2 January) when Fulham take on Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage in a 3pm kick-off.

Tickets for the match are on sale now from £30 adults and £20 juniors.

To purchase tickets visit: www.fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on: 0843 208 1234 (option 2), or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-no-hard-feelings-10668976?

WhiteJC

Dembele if Zaza leaves Juve

Juventus have reportedly set their sights on Fulham striker Moussa Dembele if Simone Zaza leaves for West Ham.

The Bianconeri are considering an impressive offer on the table for Zaza and would require a new forward if he did complete the January transfer.

According to Sky Sport Italia, the favourite to replace Zaza would be Dembele, who will be out of contract with Fulham in June.

Still only 19 years old, he grew up in the Paris Saint-Germain youth academy before moving to Fulham in 2012.

He has scored nine goals in 22 Championship games this season – the English equivalent of Serie B.

http://www.football-italia.net/77737/dembele-if-zaza-leaves-juve?

WhiteJC

Juventus keen on Dembele
by DAN on JANUARY 2, 2016

Reports from Italy this weekend suggest that Juventus are lining up Fulham striker Moussa Dembele as one of their main targets should Simone Zaza leave for West Ham this month.

Sky Sport Italia broke the news that the Bianconeri have been closely monitoring the French international's performances at Fulham and would be keen to test the London club's desire to hold onto one of their most promising Academy graduates until the end of the season, even though Dembele's contract expires in June. Fulham's position could change if Dembele indicates that he would be interested in joining one of Europe's most famous sides, given that they would receive far less compensation where he to move to the continent rather than an English team on completion of his contract.

Dembele, who has been the subject of fierce interest from Premier League sides like Everton and Tottenham, has scored 10 goals in 24 appearances for Fulham this season, but missed Tuesday night's win over Rotherham with tightness in his hamstring.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/juventus-keen-on-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Wally meets Slavisa Jokanovic, the former Watford boss who reached the Promised Land - and left

The Serb, who has just taken charge of Fulham, guided the Hornets to promotion from the Championship last season but was replaced by Quique Sanchez Flores

Bad news travels fast, and Slavisa Jokanovic suspected the promised land was not enough.

That swishing sound Jokanovic thought he could hear last May was not Watford pushing the boat out to keep him but rowing furiously back to shore.

Sure enough, contract negotiations between club and messiah went down a dead end.

Not since Bruce Rioch took Bolton through the loft hatch in 1995 had a manager won promotion to the Premier League and not started the following season in the same job – and that was only because Rioch was headhunted by Arsenal.

Jokanovic, a veritable football nomad who has coached in six countries, promptly relocated to Israel and led Maccabi Tel Aviv into the Champions League.

Now he has rocked up at Craven Cottage, where he probably saved his job 13 months ago after four defeats in a row.

Watford were already on their fourth head coach of the season in 97 days, and the Rocket Man himself, Sir Elton John, had expressed doubts about the latest drop-in manager when Jokanovic procured a 5-0 win at Fulham.

The subsequent road to promotion was exhilarating. Memorably, Jokanovic pronounced that "football is not a game for pussies, it's a job for real men" - and his players followed his maxim to the letter.

He was only denied the SkyBet Championship trophy by Sheffield Wednesday's 91st-minute equaliser at Vicarage Road on the last day of term.

By coincidence, Wednesday are Jokanovic's first opponents as the fifth Fulham manager in two years takes charge of his first game today.

And he has inherited Stuart Gray, the Owls manager who denied him a winner's medal in that gut-wrenching finale, as his No.2.

"Stuart is a great man and also a great manager. I believe we can work well together and do a quality job, but I tell him Wednesday's goal on the last day of the season was offside!

"I had a successful year in 2015, I enjoyed it so much, I made my ex-clubs a lot of money and I want to do the same thing here.

"Was I disappointed to leave Watford? I don't care now. I try to be a real man, live a real life, and not spend my nights crying at home.

"I chose another place, and did an interesting thing in making the group stage of the Champions League. Now I am looking for a little stability and this is a great club, in a great city, and I have signed for 18 months.

"Watford is my past – they actually play very good football in the Premier League and I wish them all the best. When I have time, I'll be following them, too.

"But I am at Fulham now, I am happy with my life and they have some crazy numbers: we have scored more goals than any team in the Championship but they have conceded even more.

"We're a little bit confused and we need to find the right balance. We have also conceded 17 goals from set pieces but have not scored from any.

"I will find a way for us to win the points, but our main obligation is to improve step by step."

Jokanovic, 47, doesn't suffer fools gladly but Fulham's transfer embargo, for breaching financial fair play smallprint, gives him only limited room for manoeuvre.

Nor is he a hostage to diplomacy, even when asked about Fulham owner Shahid Khan's other sporting investment, NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.

"I'm not a fan of gridiron especially," he said. "I had an opportunity to speak with Mr Khan and my impression is that he's a nice person.

"He is very interested in Fulham and he has been very kind about my situation. But American football is for American people – I prefer the football we play here in Europe."

Welcome back to the madhouse, Big Slav. This is going to be fun.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wally-meets-slavisa-jokanovic-former-7105104?

WhiteJC

JOKANOVIC TO IMPROVE FULHAM BALANCE

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic is looking to keep Fulham as an exciting team going forward but knows they have to tighten up in defence.

The Whites are the Championship's top goalscorers with 40 goals this season but also have the joint-second worst defensive record, shipping 42 already this term, a fact the Serbian referred to as strange.

Over the course of 2015, Fulham have had just two 0-0 draws in the league, against Middlesbrough and Millwall, and 13 occasions where only one team has scored.

You have to go back to the first game of the year for the last 0-0 at Craven Cottage, coming against Wolves in the FA Cup.

Fans have come to expect goals from their side and Jokanovic wants that to continue but without the frustration of conceding.

He said: "Fulham have strange numbers. Generally football is numbers but mathematics is very simple.

"If you try and observe it's many strange things. Fulham score more goals than teams in the Championship but conceded more goals.

"Fulham made five fouls. This is very strange for a Championship team. If you compare how many times Fulham have shot at goal. It's a strange number too.

"Generally, this team have quality goalscorers and offensive players. We need to find the balance.

"We don't have the balance. We're a little bit confused and need to play football with more guarantees.

"Generally, I am not a coach who prefers one system or another. I try and find the best solution for my team.

"When I find a solution I can change the schedule to help my team. If you're going to defend and attack. I generally find a way for us to win the points."

Defending set pieces has been Fulham's Achilles heel all season and the Whites have shipped 17 goals from them so far this campaign. The top two of Middlesbrough and Derby have conceded less this season.

And Jokanovic knows this must be corrected as a matter of urgency.

He added: "Yes, we intend to work on it. We've conceded 17 goals from set pieces. That is enough.

"We need to be more concentrated and more strong in this situation and be real men.

"Strategy at set pieces is important and we need to improve defensive set pieces and offensive ones. We've not scored any goals from a corner or a free kick. We need to try and improve ourselves."

Jokanovic's first match in charge is today (2 January) when Fulham take on Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage in a 3pm kick-off.

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/jokanovic-to-improve-fulham-balance.aspx?

WhiteJC

Fancy Meeting You Here!

There could be interesting times ahead for Fulham.

With Slavisa Jokanovic in charge, assisted by Stuart Gray as his right-hand man, Fulham supporters are hoping that the man who took Watford to promotion to the Premier League last season can repeat the feat with Fulham probably next season.

But for Jokanovic, sitting alongside Gray could, at first, be a surreal feeling.

When in charge of Watford, it appears that Jokanovic was denied the Championship trophy when his Watford side conceded a 91st minute goal against a Sheffield Wednesday side managed by, of all people, Stuart Gray.

Speaking about his right-hand man, Jokanovic has remarked, to the media,

"Stuart is a great man and also a great manager. I believe we can work well together and do a quality job, but I tell him Wednesday`s goal on the last day of the season was offside!"

One suspects Stuart would, for now, argue differently!

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=428484

WhiteJC

Jokanovic on the Way Ahead

A real challenge lies ahead for Slavisa Jokanovic as he tries to change the fortunes of a Fulham side that has slipped alarmingly close to the relegation pack.

Matters are hindered by the fact that Jokanovic will have to make do with the squad he has, what with the club hit with a transfer embargo.

However, the new gaffer is optimistic that he can turn things around and get the club back on target, remarking ahead of our fixture against Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon, at Craven Cottage, remarking to the media

"We`re a little bit confused and we need to find the right balance. I will find a way for us to win the points, but our main obligation is to improve step-by-step."

And as for working for an owner who obviously has a passion for football but an owner who also own a NFL club in the shape of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Slavisa cheekily added,

"I`m no fan of gridiron.

"I had an opportunity to speak with Mr Khan and my impression is that he`s a nice person.

"But American football is for American people - I prefer the way the football the way we play here in Europe."

The same here, love our soccer hate their football!

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=428490

WhiteJC

3 things to look out for in the Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday match

Fulham are languishing down in 18th pace of the Championship, today they take on Sheffield Wednesday who are just outside the play-offs in 7th.

New Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic faces a huge task , in resurrecting the clubs fortunes, one of his biggest problems will be keeping hold of top goal scorer Ross McCormack.

Sheffield Wednesday have one just once in 14 league visits to Craven Cottage, and have not kept a clean sheet in any of the previous visits.

Here are THREE things to look out for in the match:

1) Ross McCormack

Fulham's top scorer puts fear into any defence and if Fulham are to get something from the game you feel that the Scottish striker will be vital.

However with the recent speculation regarding his future, will he be fully focused?

The striker will undoubtedly play in the Premier League but whether its in January or next season we shall see, Fulham fans will be hoping for the latter.

2) Ross Wallace

He likes playing against Fulham, in the last meeting he assisted in all three goals when Wednesday  beat Fulham 3-2.

The 30-year-old midfielder has played a pivotal role for the Owls this season with his performances, the only thing he will want is to add to his two goals in the season.

Fulham face a hard task in keeping this quality midfielder quiet.

3) Fulham's defence

Scoring is not the problem at Fulham they have scored 40 goals already this season, more than any other team in the Championship.

Yet they have conceded 42, with only strugglers Bristol City and Rotherham conceding more, keeping hold of leads or even a clean sheet is a huge problem.

How Fulham cope with a potent Wednesday attack will be interesting to watch, there should be goals today.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-things-to-look-out-for-in-the-fulham-v-sheffield-wednesday-match/?#fgSoMFAhZLlwCcmk.99