https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (03/01/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 03, 2016, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-1 Sheff Wed: Jokanovic brought back to earth by Wednesday

Owls proved too tough for Whites new boss

Slavisa Jokanovic faced Sheffield Wednesday for his first proper game in charge when he was Watford manager.

The Serb will tell you lightning doesn't strike twice - although it was a bolt out of the blue that decided the points.

On a sodden Saturday, Wednesday winger Ross Wallace let fly and fizzed a chance past Andy Lonergan - easily Fulham's best player - which might tell you something about the home side.

Jokanovic saw Watford dismiss Sheffield 3-0 away in October 2014. This time, he could only watch as his new side laboured on a slick surface.

Gary Hooper could and should have doubled Wednesday's lead on 54 minutes. Presented with a one-on-one with Lonergan, the Fulham keeper stood tall and thwarted the striker to leave Hooper thumping the ground in frustration.

The Whites shot stopper did even better minutes later when he palmed a point-blank piledriver over from man mountain Atdhe Nuhiu stealing in from an angle.

Hooper was again denied by Lonergan when the forward chipped and found the keeper's arm directing the ball on to the roof of the net.

Top form: Andy Lonergan
Early on, Ross McCormack was nearly caught out when he tried to shepherd the ball out of play, only to get robbed by Vincent Sasso whose snapshot from an acute angle was well blocked by Lonergan.

Jamie O'Hara side-footed with pace to bring an equally great stop from Joe Wildsmith, and then tried his luck from 30 yards to watch the ball whistle just past the upright.

When Wallace attempted the same audacious shot - the Wednesday player hit the jackpot.

Lonergan saw it coming but could do nothing about a left-foot drive that darted and fizzed before it crashed the underside of the bar and in.

Jokanovic has his work out to regalvanise a side short on stealth and long on hard work without results.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-0-1-sheff-wed-10677151?

WhiteJC

Jokanovic wants Fulham to be 'brave and strong'

Slavisa Jokanovic pledged to work hard to turn Fulham's fortunes around after they were beaten at home by Sheffield Wednesday in his first match in charge.

Ross Wallace's brilliant goal won the points for the Owls at Craven Cottage, where the home side had plenty of possession but struggled to create chances.

It left the Whites 19th in the Championship table, six points above the relegation zone.

"It's normal to be disappointed with the result, but I cannot be disappointed with the performance," Jokanovic said.

"We played very good football for 60 minutes and they scored a fantastic goal to win the three points.

Fulham had plenty of the ball but could not find an equaliser

"It is frustrating, but I came here to work, not to fix things fast. I am not David Copperfield. I am not a magic guy."

Fulham will face Wednesday again next weekend when they travel to Hillsborough in the FA Cup third round.

In the meantime, former Watford boss Jokanovic plans to get to work on the training ground.

He said: "In front of us is seven days for working hard and trying to find the right way. I'm going to work, to push very hard.

"I have only had two days back in England and I need to discover everything needed to improve.

"The next thing for us is thinking about the next step, be brave and strong and work hard."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-wants-fulham-to-be-brave-and-strong?

WhiteJC

Five things we learned from Fulham defeat to Sheffield Wednesday

Top talking points as Owls eclipse Whites in close tussle

Learning curve: Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham need more than tactics from Jokanovic - they need confidence
Going forward Whites described neat patterns. But the final third was still more about hit and hope as opposed to certainty. For all their drive, the best home efforts were from distance.

Why does Tim Ream give the man he's marking so much space?
The question's rhetoric - he just does. The Fulham left-back stood off the winger at Bolton - they scored. He stood off Ross Wallace - the Wednesday winger fizzed a magnificent effort past Andy Lonergan.

Ream should be restored to the centre, and if not Luke Garbutt, Whites should look to borrow a left-sided defender.

Tough going: Tim Ream gets in a tackle

Cauley Woodrow has to feel aggrieved
Two goals midweek against Rotherham - and on the bench at the start of this game. OK, Moussa Dembele's in form, but if you hit a brace and still get left out, what's next for the England U21 striker?

Job done: Cauley Woodrow of Fulham celebrates his second goal

Someone should tell Sakari Mattila the Norwegian top flight is nothing like the Championship
They might give you space in the Tippeligaen as Mattila discovered last season, but there's none afforded in England's second tier.

The Finnish midfielder looked good in places, but got pick-pocketed twice at least to set up Wednesday attacks. It's not the best way to forge a first-team place for keeps.

Andy Lonergan was a top acquisition
There were plenty of Fulham fans last summer thinking the former Bolton keeper might be a decent second choice for Whites this season.

Even before injury to Marcus Bettinelli, there was evidence to suggest Lonergan had come to challenge, and he had another top game against Wednesday.

Good form: Andy Lonergan

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-things-learned-fulham-defeat-10677498?

WhiteJC

Jokanović Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović believes it will take time to implement his style of football on the Fulham team.

The Serbian took charge of the Whites for the first time on Saturday but saw Fulham go down to a 1-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday.

The hosts dominated proceedings, enjoying more than 70 per cent possession, but were beaten by a stunning long-range strike by Ross Wallace just before the half-hour mark.

"It's normal I'm disappointed with the result," Fulham's Head Coach told the media afterwards. "We played 60 minutes of very good football, but they scored a fantastic goal. It's frustrating but I'm not David Copperfield, I cannot fix problems, we have to try and find the right way for us.

"You need to find the balance between attack and defence. We had 71 per cent possession but didn't make enough dangerous situations. We're a very good team with the ball but we need to improve without it."

Back in English football after leaving Watford last summer, Jokanović is looking forward to the challenge that awaits him in SW6.

"I'm very happy, I'm very excited," he said. "Many Fulham fans have sent me messages on social media and I know they believe I can help them. They have accepted my appointment and I'm going to work hard. It was a disappointing day for me because we didn't win any points but it's exciting."

Fulham now turn their attentions away from the league and a chance for immediate revenge when they head to Wednesday's Hillsborough in the Third Round of the FA Cup next weekend.

"This is not the time for talking about promotion, we need to be realistic," he added. "The simple thing for us is thinking about the next step and for us that's Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup. We need to be brave, be strong and work hard. I need a little bit of time, I'm not a magic guy. But my team will soon start to understand my way, my philosophy and things will be better as we try to improve."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/january/02/jokanovic-reaction?

WhiteJC

'Frustrated' Jokanovic reveals key to turning Fulham's form around

Slavisa Jokanovic (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Newly installed Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists his new side must find the correct balance between defence and attack if they are to start climbing the Skybet Championship table.

Saturday's 1-0 defeat at home to Sheffield Wednesday saw the hosts enjoy large spells of possession without really troubling the visiting goalkeeper.

A Ross Wallace wonder-strike was the difference between the two sides, and the Serbian emphasised it was a frustrating afternoon.

"I'm disappointed with the result, but I cannot be upset with many minutes of our performance," he said.

"We played very good football for 60 minutes of the match, but they scored a fantastic goal to win them the game – it's frustrating but I'm here to work hard and improve the team.

"We must find the balance in our game. We had 71 percent possession of the ball but we didn't create enough dangerous chances this afternoon and we didn't put them under enough pressure," he continued.

"We are a very good side without the ball, and so we must try improving the balance between attack and defence. "We didn't score today, and they took their chances, in the future we hope to be more competitive."

Indeed, the result leaves the west Londoners in 19th position in the table, just six points above the drop zone at the start of 2016.

"I'm not here to fix problems fast; I have a commitment with my staff and with my players and between everyone here in the project. "Now we have seven days in front of us to work hard."

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/frustrated_jokanovic_reveals_key_to_turning_fulham_s_form_around_1_4365339
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Fulham boss says he's not 'David Copperfield' as Whites lose to Wednesday

No tricks: Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic will not be pulling rabbits out of hats anytime soon - just so Fulham fans know.

The man who is the fourth voice on the Whites coaching front this season, would have liked an ace up his sleeve for his first stint on the Craven Cottage touchline against Sheffield Wednesday.

Alas, he was more like the Tommy Cooper school of failed tricks, although he has clearly seen David Copperfield - the illusionist that is, not the Dickens novel.

Jokanovic said: " It is frustrating, but I came here for the long haul but I did not come here to make quick fixes, I am not David Copperfield.

"In front of us we have seven days to work hard.

"It is about finding a balance, in the first half we had 71 per cent of possession of the ball but we did not make enough dangerous chances. We were not a danger to the other team.

Media briefing: Slavisa Jokanovic

"We are a very good team with the ball but we need to improve when we don't have it."

Jokanovic was spot on as Whites fans would agree, and knows what's needed. Whether he can deliver is another thing.

He added: "We need to find the balance between attack and defence, we did not score today, the opposition scored only one goal and I am sure it will balance out in the future and we will play better football then we play at the moment.

"I am very happy to be back in English football, lots of Fulham fans have sent me messages on social media and I know they believe I can help them and I am really happy how they have accepted me.

"I can tell them only that I will work very hard, it is exciting but disappointing day for me.

I am only two days into the job and I need to discover more about the squad and what they need to improve.

"This is not a time to talk about promotion we need to be in the real world. We can open the newspapers and see where we are right now. We need to think about the next step and that is the FA Cup against Sheffield Wednesday.

"We need to be brave and strong and work hard, I said before about the magic guy, I am not him.

"But we are in full competition now and I know I don't have a lot of time, but in seven days I will be able to get my philosophy across."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-says-hes-not-10678048?

WhiteJC

Wallace wonder goal sinks Fulham
by DAN on JANUARY 2, 2016

This wasn't the fairytale start Slavisa Jokanovic was after. Fulham's new head coach rung the changes despite watching his new side triumph over Rotherham United in midweek, but a more organised and offensively threatening Sheffield Wednesday showed the Serbian the size of the task he has taken on at Craven Cottage. Ross Wallace, the scourge of Kit Symons' side at Hillsborough back in September, went one better than delivering the dangerous balls by smashing an unstoppable, dipping effort past Andy Lonergan from thirty yards. Were it not for Lonergan's second half heroics, the scoreline could have been far more convincing.

Even the inside knowledge of Stuart Gray, in charge of the visitors until last June, couldn't help Fulham unlock a disciplined Owls defence that showed little signs of being depleted this afternoon, despite the absence of Tom Lees through injury, and their slick passing through the likes of Barry Bannan, Fernando Forestieri and Wallace set up several dangerous counter attacks. Fulham, set up with three central midfielders and the Finnish international Sakari Matilla guarding their vulnerable back four, were combative and determined but found fashioning clear-cut chances frustratingly difficult.

It was Carlos Carvahal's side who threatened first. There were only two minutes on the clock when Gary Hooper, who nearly joined Fulham on loan from Norwich at the end of the summer transfer window, crept goalside of Dan Burn to reach a hopeful ball forward from Liam Palmer but the striker's header looped just wide. Vincent Sasso then tricked his way past Tim Ream and sped threateningly along the by-line but his shot was smothered behind by a combination of Jamie O'Hara and Lonergan.

Fulham's best periods of play came through their midfield triumvirate. Matilla's shooting left a little to be desired but he was busy in front of the hosts' defensive line, releasing Alex Kacaniklic with a fine through ball, only for Jamie O'Hara to drag his shot wide. Emerson Hyndman brought a fine diving save from Joe Wildsmith before O'Hara bent an effort just wide from long range. Moments later, the visitors were in front – having weathered Fulham's pressure to score a goal of outrageous beauty. There appeared little danger as Wallace came forward down the right, but he was afforded the time and space to cut inside onto his stronger left foot, and his superb strike beat Lonergan at his near post and went in via the underside of the crossbar.

Jokanovic's side gamely pressed for an equaliser – which they briefly thought they had found when Ross McCormack thumped home a clever pass from Moussa Demebele only to denied by an offside flag – but they lost their disciplined shape in the second period, and could have been dead and buried long before the final whistle. Ten minutes into the second half, Bannan played a delicious ball through the heart of the Fulham defence only for Lonergan to scamper off his line to deny Hooper. The former Bolton keeper got his angles right to turn away a venomous drive from Atdhe Nuhiu and the Albanian striker then played in Hooper only for Lonergan to make a splendid one-on-one stop.

Fulham sent on Scott Parker, Luke Garbutt – and belatedly Tuesday's two-goal hero Cauley Woodrow – in search of a leveller. For all their possession and probing, Jokanovic's side only created one genuine opportunity, with Woodrow sending a free header over the bar from Jazz Richards' measured cross. The new head coach couldn't muster the perfect start, but he will have learnt plenty about his new side – and their opponents – ahead of a rematch in the FA Cup third round at Hillsborough in seven days time.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Lonergan; Richards, Ream, Stearman, Burn; Matilla (Garbutt 71), O'Hara (Parker 63), Hyndman; McCormack, Kacaniklic (Woodrow 77), Dembele. Subs (not used): Lewis, Hutchinson, Christensen, Smith.

BOOKED: Burn, McCormack.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY (4-4-2): Wildsmith; Palmer, Pudil, Loovens, Sasso; Lee, Bannan, Wallace (Sougou 76), Forestieri (Helan 90); Hooper, Nuhiu (Joao 89). Subs (not used): rice, Hutchinson, Josè Semedo, Wiggins.

BOOKED: Bannan.

GOAL: Wallace (29).

REFEREE: Kevin Johnson (Somerset).

ATTENDANCE: 19,263

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/wallace-wonder-goal-sinks-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Jokanovic says change will take time at Fulham

Slavisa Jokanovic admitted he was 'frustrated' to see Fulham lose his first game in charge to Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon – but warned the Whites fans that the changes he wants to make at Craven Cottage won't happen overnight.

The Serbian head coach felt his team needed to get the right balance between defence and attack after the Owls claimed a precious three points in their promotion push thanks to Ross Wallace's splendid 30-yarder just before the half hour mark. The former Watford boss said he saw some encouraging signs in the performance and asked for patience as he strives to improve things.

I'm disappointed with the result, but I cannot be upset with many minutes of our performance. We played very good football for 60 minutes of the match, but they scored a fantastic goal to win them the game – it's frustrating but I'm here to work hard and improve the team.

We must find the balance in our game. We had 71 percent possession of the ball but we didn't create enough dangerous chances this afternoon and we didn't put them under enough pressure. We are a very good side without the ball, and so we must try improving the balance between attack and defence.

We didn't score today, and they took their chances, in the future we hope to be more competitive. I'm not here to fix problems fast; I have a commitment with my staff and with my players and between everyone here in the project. Now we have seven days in front of us to work hard. We need to brave, we need to be strong and work hard to fix our problems.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/jokanovic-says-change-will-take-time-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal all eyeing move for Dembele

A report in tomorrow's Sunday People claims that Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal are ready to rival Tottenham in a January move for Fulham striker Moussa Dembele.

The highly-rated French youth international has long been linked with a move away from Craven Cottage and a number of leading English sides are ready to test Fulham's resolve to hold onto the 19 year-old until the end of the season, even though his contract expires in June. The People quotes a seemingly inflated price tag of £12m, with Liverpool rumoured to be in the driving seat – although Dembele has also been attracting interest from the continent, most recently from Juventus.

The tabloid suggests that a transfer during this month's window would allow Fulham's transfer embargo to be lifted at the end of the month but Fulham have not yet given up hope of convincing Dembele to commit his future to the club after the recruitment of new head coach Slavisa Jokanovic. The Serbian reintroduced the teenager to the Fulham starting line-up for his first game in charge – a 1-0 defeat by Sheffield Wednesday this afternoon – but Dembele couldn't add to his ten goals during an impressive campaign.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/liverpool-manchester-united-and-arsenal-all-eyeing-move-for-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Juventus join Manchester United in tracking Fulham's teenage forward Moussa Dembele
Serie A champions Juventus are interested in Fulham's Moussa Dembele
French teenager has 10 goals this season and is out of contract in summer
Fulham also battling to keep top goalscorer Ross McCormack in January

Juventus have expressed an interest in Fulham's teenage forward Moussa Dembele.

The Serie A champions are ready to allow forward Simone Zaza to leave on loan and want cover with 19-year-old Dembele one of their options.

The French forward is out of contract in the summer but has attracted interest from Tottenham, Everton, Manchester United, Paris St Germain, Napoli and now Juventus.

Moussa Dembele controls the ball during Fulham's 1-0 defeat by Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday

Serie A champions Juventus have expressed an interest in the French forward whose contract runs out soon

Though still raw, clubs recognise he has potential to improve and he has notched 10 goals for the Championship club this season.

Dembele joined Fulham as a 16-year-old from PSG and was part of their Under 18 team that won the Premier Academy League in 2013.

Fulham also face a battle to hold on to striker Ross McCormack who is the subject of interest from Middlesbrough and Bournemouth.

McCormack joined Fulham for £11m from Leeds a year ago and has averaged slightly better than a goal every two games.

They are reluctant to sell but may be susceptible to offers while under a transfer embargo.

Fulham also face a battle to keep hold of top goalscorer Ross McCormack in the January transfer window

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3382365/Juventus-join-Manchester-United-tracking-Fulham-s-teenage-forward-Moussa-Dembele.html#ixzz3wAaokPuO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Report: Liverpool keen on £12m rated Moussa Dembele

Liverpool are said to be keen on Fulham's Moussa Dembele.

Liverpool are keen on signing Fulham sensation Moussa Dembele, report The Mirror.

Dembele, a former PSG trainee, has scored 10 goals for the Championship side this season, but his future at the club remains in doubt.

The Frenchman's contract expires at the end of this season and Fulham have been unable to convince him to sign a new deal. The hope at Craven Cottage is the appointment of new boss Slavisa Jokanovic will have a positive impact in this regard.

The Mirror's report claims that despite Dembele's expiring deal, Fulham want £12 million for his services.

While there may be room for Liverpool to negotiate downwards, rival interest from Premier League sides Tottenham Hotspur or Manchester United could spark a bidding war.

Dembele is just 19-years-old, and is forming an impressive strike partnership at present with Ross McCormack.

At Liverpool he would have to compete with Daniel Sturridge, Christian Benteke, Danny Ings, Divock Origi, and possibly Mario Balotelli upon his return from loan next season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/02/report-liverpool-keen-on-12m-rated-moussa-dembele/?