watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Times report on the Sheff Wed game

Started by Baszab, January 03, 2016, 05:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

I would suggest anyone who thought yesterday was NOT pathetic reads the Sunday Times report on the game by Brian Glanville - who is probably the most respected world football writer over the past 40 years.

Not only does he question the team selection and the tactics -- but also why the team wasn't motivated by the appointment of SJ

But then what does Glanville know ?

Fulham 0 Sheff Wed 1: Wallace strikes wonder winner

Brian Glanville Published: 3 January 2016
Print
Wallace: man of the match Wallace man of the match (Adam Holt/Reuters)

SLAVISA JOKANOVIC'S first act as manager of Fulham was to leave out Cauley Woodrow, the man who had orchestrated the midweek win over Rotherham, their first in 10 matches.

True, the England Under-21 international, when he did come on, missed a good late chance when he headed Ashley Richards' right-wing cross over the bar. But if he had started he would surely have done a great deal more than those who were preferred to him.

Generously, Stuart Gray, the temporary coach, had suggested that Jovanovic's very presence might have done something to inspire Fulham. You could hardly say that his selections helped them yesterday.

Jokanovic also omitted, until the 66nd minute, Scott Parker, who had been another salient figure on Tuesday in midfield, quick and adroit as always on the ball, seldom making anything but a sensible, even shrewd pass.

In a largely mediocre match, the goal that won it deserved to decide any game. It came on 29 minutes and, appropriately, from the busy little Scotsman Ross Wallace, notionally figuring at outside right but moving into the middle whenever it suited him. Cutting inside, he pivoted to strike a glorious left footer high into the top right-hand corner.

Apart from that late expensive miss, Fulham created only one substantial chance, which brought their one substantial shot. It came on 25 minutes when their American midfielder, Emerson Hyndman, ran on to a rebound to connect. His ferocious right footed shot was pushed away by the resilient keeper, Joe Wildsmith.

Just four minutes after that came the goal for Wallace that would clinch the match, much to the joy of the large and vociferous group of Sheffield Wednesday fans behind that goal. Overall, it was Wednesday, featuring two players, in Fernando Forestieri and Daniel Pudil, who played under Jokanovic at Watford last season, who played the more coherent attacking football. They were solid at the back where Glenn Loovens, their captain, and Pudil formed a sturdy barricade.

Fulham gained a great deal from an indomitable Ross McCormack, operating from the left of his usual place and often moving into the middle, to give them what hopes of scoring they ever had.

Star man: Ross Wallace (Sheff Wed)

Fulham: Lonergan 8, Richards 6, Stearman 6, Burn 4, Ream 6, Kacaniklic 5 (Woodrow 77min, 5), Hyndman, O'Hara (Parker 63min), Mattila 6 (Garbutt 71min, 5) , McCormack 8, Dembele 5

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith 6, Palmer 6, Hutchinson 7, Loovens 7, Pudil 6, Wallace 8 (Sougou 76min, 6), Bannan 7, Lee 6, Forestieri 7 (Helan 90min), Hooper 7, Nuhiu (Joao 88min)

westcliff white

Sums up the game for me mediocre as in both sides, the fact we beat a terrible side in Rotherham is irrelevant. They I believe, could be wrong,  (as in Rotherham) had more shots than us and more on target, so the fact anyone scored against them should not bare to much on team selection.

Fact is we have good players but we don't have a team, and it will take Joka time to do this. Cant call  it pathetic after one game, we were pathetic after 16 games this season for sure
Every day is a Fulham day

Wearethewhites

People, fans, who are on this guy's back already, are absolutely ludicrous, sorry. What did everyone expect from that bunch of under performing half-wits, especially against a well organised, well drilled Sheff Weds side, Barcelona esq type football?

You can criticise his team selection, tactics all day long, he's had 72 bloody hours in the job, but the cold hard truth is, he will be changing everything to suit the way he coaches.

As it stands, be it's kits formation(s), players, whatever, we are bloody awful, and I for one can't wait until Jokanovic' changes it, and for that I will give him time and support.

nose

Quote from: Wearethewhites on January 03, 2016, 05:21:14 PM
People, fans, who are on this guy's back already, are absolutely ludicrous, sorry. What did everyone expect from that bunch of under performing half-wits, especially against a well organised, well drilled Sheff Weds side, Barcelona esq type football?

You can criticise his team selection, tactics all day long, he's had 72 bloody hours in the job, but the cold hard truth is, he will be changing everything to suit the way he coaches.

As it stands, be it's kits formation(s), players, whatever, we are bloody awful, and I for one can't wait until Jokanovic' changes it, and for that I will give him time and support.

jocanovic was my choice as manager and remains so and clearly needs time for all the reasons you have stated, no argument. I happen to believe with him as manager we may well seriously have a chance to win the title next season. I cannot be clearer in my support than that.

But he did get it wrong yesterday and personally, no matter how new he is and how much I like him, which personally i do, I am bound to say i was extremely disappointed with the events of team selection and style of play yesterday. I think it was avoidable and we could have done better. Putting a player in front of the back four was the big plus because I have wanted that for ages and I really thought it worked well.

HV71

To quote - but what does Glanville know ? ( and that was after 60 + games in charge over a lengthy period ) - as opposed to two days.

Just leave it out  - it is truly pathetic .

Get behind  SJ and the team

westcliff white

We are the whites, I am not having a go at Joka, just pointing out that the report sums up the game we were not good but we held them bar a stunning strike from wallace
Every day is a Fulham day

HV71

I wasn't having a go at you Westcliffe White - quite the contrary - more the original op. I suppose I should be better than retorting to sarcasm  - just couldn't help it.

colinwhite

Apart from Hyndman(and with Husband gone ) this was probably Kit symons preffered side, so how can that be joklanovics fault?
I am not going to rise the the bait anymore this type of OP is boring and seriously pissing me off.

Wearethewhites

Come the summer and next season, I guarantee, bar 1 or 2 faces, that we'll have a completely different team to the one we've had to endure for last 2 bloody seasons.

SG

I think the OP must be Kits mum. He could do no wrong it seems and it is everyone else's fault for the mess this team is

Blanco

I'm going to start ignoring the OP posts if this continues. This bashing of Jokanovics tactics is ridiculous. It's his first game and I think its embarrasing how you are carrying on Baszab. Just take a step back and chill. Kit has gone. Get over it. There is no sense in slagging off the new manager just because you absolutely adored the last manager. Let's move on.

Banstead White

Glanville has an opinion, just an opinion. Certainly doesn't make him an expert.
Pretty pointless post IMO...If I wanted to read his report I would have bought the newspaper to read the article....
That's my opinion.....

Roysie

Jem

It is possible that Glanville does know more about the team than Jokanovic at the moment. He has hardly had a chance to put his feet under the table.

Breaking News: Jokanovic did not say in his CV that he could walk on water-

Yet!

Give the man a chance.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Lighthouse

The fans are angry. Sack the manager. Take ages to bring in new manager. The fans are angry and the team worse than it was. Bring in manager at last. Team poor first game. Fans say give manager time.

Team has the odd good game but still poor. Give manager time. Team poor

return to top of the page and begin again.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Whitesideup

Despite all his years of experience, Glanville's impression of a game is still only that ... his impression. He believes McCormack had a good game. Well, I was there. I disagree. He thinks Parker merited a place on the basis of the performance against Rotherham? So does that imply Hyndman should have been dropped because clearly SJ thought (correctly in my view) we need to protect our defence more? So his views are only views. They are more neutral, they may be more balanced, but I suggest also based on far less exposure to the players' performances than those of us who watch every week. 

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 03, 2016, 08:45:47 PM
Despite all his years of experience, Glanville's impression of a game is still only that ... his impression. He believes McCormack had a good game. Well, I was there. I disagree. He thinks Parker merited a place on the basis of the performance against Rotherham? So does that imply Hyndman should have been dropped because clearly SJ thought (correctly in my view) we need to protect our defence more? So his views are only views. They are more neutral, they may be more balanced, but I suggest also based on far less exposure to the players' performances than those of us who watch every week. 

I agree and I've been reading the esteemed Mr Glanville for years and IMO he often see's thing's differently than me.

Dodger53

Neil D

Fans, as paying customers, are entitled to voice their criticism of the team's performance.  It was poor.  One shot on target in 90 mins is poor by any yardstick.  To console ourselves with the acres of possession where it doesn't matter is merely self-delusional.

I didn't disagree with anything Glanville wrote.  I was surprised to see Woodrow omitted and Jokanovic was responsible for that but playing him would not really have made a significant difference.  The malaise is too deep-rooted for that.  What is not justified is over-arching or 'big picture' criticism of a manager after one game in charge.  I think he is a very good appointment and he will turn the club around but he does need time.  He has the rest of this season to keep us in the Championship and prepare for the next.

davew

I don't blame this manager or the previous ones, the simple fact is that our squad are shite!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

J.Perkins

Hodgson took a month to get a win. It's never a quick fix with a new manager, and it's his team. He can do what he wants with it. Easy to call the team selection wrong when you don't know if another team would've won.