watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stearman, what game was he playing in.

Started by The Swan, January 04, 2016, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

According to Stearman we were unlucky to lose against Wednesday. He said they scored a worldie goal, but apart from that we were the better team. Lonergan made a couple of saves.

Mr Stearman , Andy Lonergan was voted Man of the Match.
The Swan

J

Weeeell not that this means everything but we did have ~70% possession. That will (hopefully!) translate into winning games if we can keep it up.

RolandAJ

#5 played the actual game.  The first game coached by Fulham's new head man.
Perhaps we all could try to understand what the professional players and staff mean when they speak rather than to pick at them for not concurring with our amateur observations.

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

westcliff white

i read a few reports and while they said we were not great, they also said we matched and if not had better possession than Wednesday as in we did more with ours than they did with theirs. The important fact as most reports i read said was Wednesday got shots on target and we didnt. Considering that losing 1-0, to a worldy by all accounts, must show that we are more solid, the keeper is there to save the shots, not if we can improve from that base position then I would be happy.
Every day is a Fulham day

TheManOnTheBus

Lonners saves were mainly (I think) at the end of breaks when we were pushing forward to try and equalise.  Yes, they got more shots on target, but he save them.

My glass is half full.

(That said, Wed did look more solid.)

GrahamG

Well Roland, my 'amateur (but paying supporter) observations' are; Our 70% possession sadly resulted in only a couple of decent chances, their 30% resulted in a win and our goalkeeper being correctly judged our best player. What more is there to say?

HatterDon

Quote from: RolandAJ on January 05, 2016, 06:31:08 AM
#5 played the actual game.  The first game coached by Fulham's new head man.
Perhaps we all could try to understand what the professional players and staff mean when they speak rather than to pick at them for not concurring with our amateur observations.

Roland

this
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

J

Quote from: GrahamG on January 05, 2016, 01:28:01 PM
Well Roland, my 'amateur (but paying supporter) observations' are; Our 70% possession sadly resulted in only a couple of decent chances, their 30% resulted in a win and our goalkeeper being correctly judged our best player. What more is there to say?

That there were no stand out performers? No MoM for attackers as they didn't score or create much, no MoM for defenders as no clean sheets.

I get what you are saying, but also what Stearman is saying - that we should have been able to go on and win the game, it just didn't quite click in the final 3rd. We did have lots of "nearly" moments where the chance just didn't quite result in a shot on target.

TWFL

Quote from: J on January 05, 2016, 03:06:38 PM

That there were no stand out performers? No MoM for attackers as they didn't score or create much, no MoM for defenders as no clean sheets.

I get what you are saying, but also what Stearman is saying - that we should have been able to go on and win the game, it just didn't quite click in the final 3rd. We did have lots of "nearly" moments where the chance just didn't quite result in a shot on target.

Exactly. Whilst were poor in the final third I thought we were good in others. Defensively we looked better and for Stearman that's probably the most important issue

Jims Dentist

We are usually ore effective when we have less possession.

Plodder

We didn't have lots of "nearly moments".  Just one, two (generously).  Hyndman in the first half (a good opportunity, but a comfortable save for their keeper) and a header in the second half by Woodrow which went nowhere near the goal over the bar when he should have done better, although he looked a long way out from the goal.  Otherwise, I can't remember us getting near their goal.  It wasn't a case of failing to click the final third, we rarely got into the final third in any threatening manner. Defensively, we improved; in terms of attacking, by far the worst perfomance I have seen by us in a long time.

Stearman is just saying what most players and managers will say in such situations.  He can hardly say "To be honest, we were useless as an attacking force and didn't look like scoring for the entire game".

J

Quote from: Plodder on January 07, 2016, 11:19:23 PM

We didn't have lots of "nearly moments".  Just one, two (generously).  Hyndman in the first half (a good opportunity, but a comfortable save for their keeper) and a header in the second half by Woodrow which went nowhere near the goal over the bar when he should have done better, although he looked a long way out from the goal.  Otherwise, I can't remember us getting near their goal.  It wasn't a case of failing to click the final third, we rarely got into the final third in any threatening manner. Defensively, we improved; in terms of attacking, by far the worst perfomance I have seen by us in a long time.

Stearman is just saying what most players and managers will say in such situations.  He can hardly say "To be honest, we were useless as an attacking force and didn't look like scoring for the entire game".

You are confusing actually having goal scoring chances with nearly creating goal scoring chances. There were multiple crosses across the face of goal where no one gambled, overhit passes, the offside finish, shooting over etc. Rewatch the 2 min highlights of you've forgotten them all!

We are both agreed that we didn't really trouble their keeper but that's not what I was trying to say. An extra bit of quality would (and should) have converted at least some of those into shots on goal.

Plodder

Quote from: J on January 08, 2016, 12:10:58 AM
Quote from: Plodder on January 07, 2016, 11:19:23 PM

You are confusing actually having goal scoring chances with nearly creating goal scoring chances. There were multiple crosses across the face of goal where no one gambled, overhit passes, the offside finish, shooting over etc. Rewatch the 2 min highlights of you've forgotten them all!

We are both agreed that we didn't really trouble their keeper but that's not what I was trying to say. An extra bit of quality would (and should) have converted at least some of those into shots on goal.

I understand what you mean, but even by those criteria, I thought we hardly had any.  Two teams on the same league will have those sort of moments (aimless crosses, overhit passes) in every game.  Harking back to the original post and the quote by Stearman, whatever they may utter for the benefit of us the supporters, I hope the management and players aren't deluding themselves into thinking that we played well and with a bit of luck, we could have drawn or won.  I find it hard to believe that if they took an objective, professional view, they could really have persuaded themselves of that. Anyway, let's hope for a win in the Cup tomorrow and a trip to Wembley.  We can dream.....at least until 5pm tomorrow.