more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (09/01/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 09, 2016, 06:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cairney: Put On A Show

Tom Cairney wants Fulham "to put on a good show" against a tough Sheffield Wednesday outfit this weekend in a match which sees the Whites face-off with the Owls for a third time this season.

Having missed out on the most recent encounter after failing a late fitness test, Cairney has been back in training and is raring to get back on the field.

"I had a bad groin," he told the official website. "I had it a lot more last season. It's the first time I've had it since I joined the Club.

"I tried an early fitness test at Craven Cottage at about 11 o'clock but it wasn't really feeling right at all. We didn't want to risk it because if I had made it worse it would have put me out for a lot longer, so that's why I missed last week's game.

"I feel good now. I've been involved in most parts of training this week so hopefully I should be okay."

New Head Coach Slaviša Jokanović has been in charge of training for over a week at Motspur Park, and despite acknowledging that a new approach is still sinking in, Cairney also knows it takes any new coach time to put things fully into place.

"Any manager needs time, as everyone knows," he said. "He's getting his ideas across. I know it has only been a week but it has started to sink in.

"Obviously, everyone knows what he did at Watford. To get out of this league is no mean feat and he has achieved that. It's something that we hope he can replicate with us and we can push up the league and start to string some wins together."

The FA Cup will provide Fulham with the opportunity to pick up a win away from the Championship and get some momentum heading into Tuesday night's match at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"We have to go there and get out there and play," Cairney stated. "The fact that it is in the FA Cup could work in our favour. We can just go out there and enjoy our football.

"We want to win and get through to the next round. If we put on a good show and get a win we can build from that Tuesday night away at Wolves and get some momentum going."

Fulham's opponents this weekend are a familiar foe, and having lost both matches against them this term, Cairney sees Saturday as the perfect chance to get revenge.

"We have played them twice already this year but it's exactly the same for them as it is for us," he said. "You don't know what side that they will put out.

"They might rotate the team from the one which we played at the weekend in the league and change it up in the cup.

"We just have to concentrate on ourselves. I always believe we can score goals, regardless of who we are playing. If we look to keep a clean sheet I think we can go up there and pick up the win."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/january/08/cairney-put-on-a-show?

WhiteJC

Carlos Carvalhal to make changes for Owls' cup clash with Fulham

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Carlos Carvalhal has hinted at further changes for his side's home FA Cup tie against Fulham.

Carvalhal has revealed the Christmas fixture schedule has taken its toll and he will monitor several unnamed players.

Forwards Marco Matias (hernia surgery) and Sergiu Bus could return to contention following injury, but Tom Lees (hamstring) and Michael Turner (knee) remain sidelined.

Wednesday are hoping on-loan striker Gary Hooper is granted permission to play by parent club Norwich, while Sam Hutchinson, Lucas Joao and Jeremy Helan are pushing for recalls.

New Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic admits he is "probably going to try and use some different players" from the squad which lost his first game in charge 1-0 at home to the Owls in the Sky Bet Championship on January 2.

Jokanovic has been running the rule over the players available at Motspur Park this week and reported no fresh injury problems ahead of the FA Cup tie.

Veteran midfielder Scott Parker and 21-year-old forward Cauley Woodrow could be in contention having come off the bench in the second half against Wednesday.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli (knee) and midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe (hamstring) both continue their rehabilitation.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/carlos-carvalhal-to-make-changes-for-owls-cup-clash-with-ful-1795074.html?

WhiteJC

Jokanović: Be Confident

Slaviša Jokanović wants his Fulham squad to have faith in their ability as they go into the second half of the 2015/16 season.

A run of three away games in eight days commences at Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup on Saturday, and the Whites Head Coach stressed the importance of confidence in the football industry.

"I expect in the future my team is going to be like me; full of the confidence, and believing in our possibility for the next game," he stated. "Generally the next game is more important for us because it's next.

"It's one of the more important cup competitions in the world. Our supporters are going to expect positive things, and our job is to try and find a way to win the game. And that's it, it's simple.

"This life is for people who have confidence and who believe in the possibility of making important steps. I believe in myself, my job is to make the players believe in themselves.

"They are good players. We are not a bad team, but we are not playing well enough in the last months or last years.

"I am here because there exists some kind of problem. I came here to try and find a solution, and it takes time.

"I've been here a very short time but my obligation is to try to find a solution, try to support my team, try and give them confidence, try to give them a way to win the game."

In the pre-match press conference, Jokanović was asked about recent media speculation regarding the future of Moussa Dembélé, to which he gave a very clear response.

"I didn't come here to sell players," he said. "I want my key players to stay.

"This is very simple, and we are looking for the loan market because actually right now we have this embargo where we cannot buy players. That's it. I don't want to sell our more important or our key players."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/january/08/jokanovic-be-confident?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss insists he has final word over keeping Manchester United and Crystal Palace target

"I am part of the business too," raps manager as Whites weigh up what next for exciting teenager coveted by a host of top clubs in Premier League and abroad

Talent: Moussa Dembele scores against Reading

Slavisa Jokanovic has sworn to fight tooth and nail to keep Moussa Dembele at Fulham – even though the coveted youngster's contract runs out in six months.

Manchester United, Crystal Palace, Everton and now Roma and Monaco are amongst reported suitors for the talented teenager, but the Whites boss was stony-faced when he insisted Dembele was not for sale.

Fulham have been hit by a transfer ban that allows only loans in this month's transfer window.

And Joka is only too aware any faint hope of Whites making the play-offs depends on keeping the better elements of a stuttering squad.

Fulham could net £6million upwards by selling Dembele now, but only compensation set by a tribunal if he walks on a free in the summer.

The club decided it was better to cash in on Patrick Roberts last July when another teenage White elected to join Manchester City. But this time the man in charge has publicly reminded his bosses he is part of Fulham's business too.

"I don't come here to sell key players," Jokanovic rapped.

Adamant: Slavisa Jokanovic

"I am part of this business as well. I'm not here to give them (players) a chance to go to another side.

"There is no green light to allow this guy to go another club. He is going to continue to be a part of the business – and that's it."

Fulham and Jokanovic take on Sheffield Wednesday away in the FA Cup tomorrow hoping to reverse fortunes that saw Owls plunder all six league points this season.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-insists-final-word-10703670?

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace favourites to sign Manchester United and Liverpool transfer target

Fulham striker Moussa Dembele is a reported transfer target for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Crystal Palace. Photo: PA Wire

CRYSTAL Palace are being tipped to fend off competition from Premier League rivals Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur to sign Fulham's Moussa Dembele.

The young striker has impressed in the Championship this season, attracting interest from across Europe from the likes of Monaco, Roma and PSG.

Premier League quartet Tottenham, Manchester United, Liverpool, Crystal Palace are also reportedly interested in the teenager, with Sky Bet making the Eagles the favourites to sign Dembele in January, with Palace priced at 4/1.

However, Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has said he has no intention of selling the 19-year-old in January.

Read more: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Crystal-Palace-favourites-sign-Manchester-United/story-28484737-detail/story.html#ixzz3wj6IL711
Follow us: @CroydonAd on Twitter | croydonadvertiser on Facebook

WhiteJC

PREVIEW: Wednesday -v- Fulham

The festive period is well and truly over and the Owls turn away from their playoff aspirations for FA Cup action. Can they turnover Fulham for the third time this season or will the Cottagers finally get one over the Owls?
The Owls won at Craven Cottage last time out,can they repeat the feat?

Last game   Opposition   Result   Shots   On target   Corners   Cards   Fouls   Possession
WEDNESDAY   Fulham (A)   W 1-0   14   6   7   1   14   32%
FULHAM   Wednesday (H)   L 1-0   11   1   4   2   15   68%

Wednesday showed it's not how much of the ball you have,it's what you do with it that matters.Despite having far less of the ball than Fulham,the Owls managed to craft more opportunities than their opponents,with Andy Lonergan in inspired form,it was going to take something special to beat him and Ross Wallace's strike was something out of the draw above the top drawer.
Fulham did have their chances,Ross McCormack had a strike ruled out for offside, Jamie O'Hara brushed the post with a shot and Cauley Woodrow perhaps missed the best chance heading over from close range.

Last five games   Fulham(a)   Middlesbrough (a)   Birmingham(h)   Wolves(h)   MK Dons(a)
WEDNESDAY   W 1-0   L 1-0   W 3-0   W 4-1   L 2-1
Last five games   Wednesday(h)   Rotherham (h)   Derby (a)   Bolton (a)   Ipswich (h)
FULHAM   L 1-0   W 4-1   L 2-0   D 2-2   L 2-1

Wednesday haven't had much of a cup run in recent times, the furthest they've advanced in the competition since dropping out of the top flight in 2000 is the last 16 in 2011 and 2014 being dumped out by Birmingham City and Charlton respectively, the Owls have already had a good campaign in the League Cup,can they do the same in the FA Cup?
Fulham haven't had much FA Cup pedigree in recent times,they've been eliminated in the 4th round for the last four seasons, their last run to the later stages was in 2009/10 when they got to the last eight.

HEAD 2 HEAD   WEDNESDAY WINS   FULHAM WINS   DRAWS
30   25   15

LAST MEETING: 2nd January 2016, Craven Cottage Att – 19,263
Fulham 0-1 Wednesday
(R.Wallace 29)
The last time the Owls met Fulham in the FA Cup was in the 2008/09 season, the Cottagers emerged victorious courtesy of Andy Johnson's late strike.
The two clubs have met four times in the FA Cup with each side taking two victories a piece.
The two clubs met in the League Cup in August 2012, Gary Madine's penalty being the only goal of the game.

CARVALHAL'S COHORTS
Darryl Lachman has departed to SC Cambuur in the Netherlands whilst the Owls have had a £750,000 bid for Bolton's Mark Davies accepted according to reports.
Barry Bannan is on the verge of signing a long term deal with the Owls according to media reports with Marcos Matias and Sergiu Bus also returning to training.
Carlos Carvalhal has tended to rotate his squad for cup games and with a league game against Bolton on Tuesday night, he could rest a few players for this one.
Gary Hooper's status is dependent on parent club Norwich City giving him permission to play.

KEY PLAYERS
Barry Bannan has been a popular addition to the Owls squad with the majority of Wednesdayites taking him to their heart. Truth be told he could probably have scored as many as Forestieri had his finishing been better.
Ross McCormack has gone some way to justifying his £11m transfer fee from Leeds by scoring 34 goals in 79 games for the Cottagers, he had one ruled out for offside last weekend and has already got 15 this season.

http://www.owlsalive.com/match-previews/2016/01/08/wednesday-fulham-facup/?

WhiteJC

Fulham set to offer Stoke midfielder Cottage comeback

Fulham could be set to offer former midfield star Steve Sidwell the opportunity to return to Craven Cottage according to Get West London.

Sidwell is out of favour at current club Stoke City and has made just 5 league starts for The Potters since joining the club from Fulham in the summer of 2014. The midfielder signed for the club on a free transfer following his release by Fulham after their relegation to the Championship. The midfield ace has not featured in a Premier League fixture since the opening day of the season.

The 33 year old veteran could be tempted to end his Stoke City misery with a move back to London where his family currently live. Sidwell has spent most of his career in the South of England playing for Fulham, Reading and Chelsea.

Fulham are currently in mid table in the Championship and are currently under a transfer embargo after failing to meet Financial Fair Play rules and regulations. The club are able to make an attempt to sign Sidwell on a loan arrangement but cannot sign players on a permanent basis until the transfer embargo is lifted.

In his first spell at Craven Cottage, Sidwell made 114 appearances for the club scoring 17 goals in three and a half seasons in West London.

http://the72.co.uk/44291/fulham-set-offer-stoke-midfielder-cottage-comeback/?

WhiteJC

Sheff Wed v Fulham

FA CUP THIRD ROUND
Venue: Hillsborough Date: Saturday, 9 January Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score

TEAM NEWS

Both Sheffield Wednesday head coach Carlos Carvalhal and Fulham counterpart Slavisa Jokanovic are expected to make changes for their FA Cup tie.

Forwards Marco Matias and Sergiu Bus could return for the Owls following injury but Tom Lees (hamstring) and Michael Turner (knee) remain sidelined.

Midfielder Scott Parker and striker Cauley Woodrow may start for Fulham.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli (knee) and midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe (hamstring) are long-term absentees for the Whites.

The two sides met in the Championship last weekend, with Wednesday winning 1-0 at Craven Cottage.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Sheffield Wednesday have played Fulham four times in the FA Cup previously (all third-round ties), most recently in 2009 when the Cottagers won 2-1 at Hillsborough.
Sheffield Wednesday

Wednesday have reached the fourth round just three times since 2001 - being eliminated from nine of their last 12 third-round ties.
The Owls have won only one of their last six third-round games at Hillsborough, excluding replays.
Fulham

Fulham have progressed from each of their last six FA Cup third-round ties in which they have been drawn away from home, but have needed a replay in five of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35211511

WhiteJC

Report: Sheffield United readying ambitious third bid for Fulham defender Dan Burn

The giant centre-back is being heavily linked with a move to Yorkshire this week.

Reports in Sheffield are claiming that Sheffield United could be about to make a third approach for Fulham defender Dan Burn this week.

The Sheffield Star is reporting that The Blades, who were very close to signing the player in the summer and again in the emergency loan window, are still interested in the giant defender.

Burn, who stands an imposing 6ft 7in tall, has been in and out of the Fulham first-team since making his breakthrough in 2013.

However he has started Fulham's last five games and has played 18 times for the Cottagers this season - so it would seem am ambitious move from Nigel Adkins and co.

Burn is however out of contract in the summer and it remains to be seen how new manager Slavisa Jokanovic believes Burn will fit into the team in the long run.

It seems Sheffield United will keep tabs on his development this month and should he struggle for regular football toward the end of January make a move to sign the player.

Sheffield United are currently eight in the League One table after a recent upturn in form and will be hoping to strengthen their squad this month to ensure of a play-off place come the end of the season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/08/report-sheffield-united-readying-ambitious-third-bid-for-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Evaluating Shahid Khan's visit to Motspur Park this week
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on JANUARY 8, 2016

Fulham Chairman and Owner Shahid Khan paid a visit to the club's Motspur Park training ground earlier in the week. The visit coincided with new Head Coach Slavisa Jokanovic's first full week in charge and gave our owner the opportunity for some face time to the new boss.

Khan's welcome visit to London comes after a near two month period of unrest at Fulham which ended with the appointment of Jokanovic shortly after Christmas. The prolonged period of uncertainty of the change of management and the news of a transfer embargo led to many fans openly questioning Khan's personal commitment and level of involvement in Fulham, so this visit was likely considered a necessary photo opportunity to mend a few fences.

Khan was accompanied at Motspur Park by his PR advisor, Jim Woodcock of Public Relations company FleishmanHilliard, who tweeted a picture of the visit before a video was later posted online by the club. The video it must be said did appear quite contrived given it was obvious it wasn't exactly off the cuff but it certainly did the job from a public relations perspective.

Mr Woodcock has proven something of a good sport over the past year or so. Ever since his email got leaked on various forums, he's been inundated with a barrage of emails from Fulham fans with no other method of sending sentiment to our owner. Anecdotally it seems he's responded to nearly all the emails he's received.

Public relations and image is something that Shahid ("Shad" has yet to catch on here) Khan has had a good reputation for in Jacksonville by all accounts, but less so over here amongst the Fulham community. That might not be because he's done a lot wrong bar not being Mohamed Al-Fayed, but being an overseas based owner for whom football clearly isn't second nature, he was fighting a tough PR battle from Day 1. Factor in the cavalcade of misery that we've had on the pitch since he took over and, well, you can see why he has a retained PR company.

Whether the reason for this visit was simply to get some overdue good PR or if there was some other business to attend to, having Khan at the club this week has to be viewed as a positive. Photo-op or not, for the players and managers to see the Chairman in person must be a good thing. Players are far more likely to play for an owner who cares.

It would be nice if at some point Khan would engage with the fans on more than a superficial basis. With a PR conglomerate working for him, our Shahid Khan sightings almost always come across as staged, or just a bit too perfect. He always says the right thing, and you often wonder how. Programme columns are a perfect example or where you might hear from the Chairman, but there is no guarantee that the words haven't been vetted to ensure they don't upset the apple cart.

With ongoing questions regarding the timeline of the Riverside Stand development, board oversight in light of the breach of Financial Fair Play regulations and the seemingly mishandled and certainly miscommunicated search for a manager, a healthy and open dialogue between the Fulham owner and the fans would only strengthen our club.

As a Director of the Fulham Supporters Trust, I would encourage Mr Khan to engage with the Supporters Trust, who already have productive monthly meetings with the CEO and other senior management of the club. However, as a fan I would just encourage more engagement with the fanbase in general. A photocall and increased visibility is certainly the first step in the right direction but the ongoing problems at Charlton show what can happen when the relationship between an absentee owner and fanbase deteriorates. We're not at that stage, but a perilous league position always has fans wondering at the back of their mind when, not if, our owner will get bored and decide to cut his losses.

The Jokanovic appointment has given everybody associated with the club a bit of positive momentum. Despite the iffy performance last Saturday, there is an air of good feeling around the fans at Craven Cottage for the first time in months. Something that was palpable at Craven Cottage last weekend.

For our charismatic Chairman, the appointment of a new Manager has deflected attention back to the football field rather than the Boardroom. If our Chairman and his advisors are as media savvy as they should be, now is the time to press on. Khan's visit will mean for nothing if he's not heard or seen again until August.

On field results will of course be the first dictator of whether any positive vibes remain; but a united, healthy and engaged relationship between fanbase and ownership will go a long way.

COYW

P.s. Did anyone else notice how much longer Khan spent talking to Moussa Dembele than other players? I'm not sure how long it takes to say "How much do you want?" but it's not that long.

P.p.s. Hopefully a trip to Jermyn Street was on his agenda. For a billionaire, his clothes could do with an upgrade.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/01/evaluating-shahid-khans-visit-to-motspur-park-this-week/?

WhiteJC

Monaco edge ahead of Spurs, Liverpool & Man United in transfer race for Championship ace

According to reports from London Evening Standard, representatives of Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur target Moussa Dembele have met with Monaco to discuss a potential summer move.

The highly-rated 19-year-old has bagged nine goals and two assists in 23 Championship appearances this season, for a Fulham side who find themselves just six points and four places above the relegation zone.

In no small part due to his contract expiring at the end of the season, a number of clubs have taken an interest in the former PSG starlet over the last few months. Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur have been heavily linked with Dembele for some time, whilst London Evening Standard document interest from Liverpool as well.

But according to LES, fellow admirers Monaco may have just edged ahead of the Premier League trio in the race to sign the 6-foot striker. From January 1st, Dembele has been allowed to negotiate pre-contract terms with foreign clubs and his representatives were reportedly in Monte Carlo earlier this week to discuss a deal with the Ligue 1 side.

The fight for the teenager's signature isn't over just yet, however. Fulham would benefit more from a domestic move, requiring either a transfer fee in January or a compensation fee decided by a tribunal in the summer. Foreign clubs, on the other hand, would only have to pay around £300k in compensation as it would count as an international transfer.

With the west London club also under UEFA's Financial Fair Play microscope, as they serve a transfer embargo that may be lifted in the summer should their bank balance improve, they could resultantly look to tout Dembele out to his Premier League suitors this month. The Cottagers reportedly value him at around £6million.

Read more at http://thisisfutbol.com/2016/01/blogs/monaco-edge-ahead-of-spurs-liverpool-man-united-in-transfer-race-for-championship-ace#OLOOgWl0yA9UJFXo.99

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough deny bidding for striker

Middlesbrough have denied making a transfer offer for Fulham striker Ross McCormack, accoring to The Evening Gazette.

There have been reports this week linking Middlesbrough to the former Leeds United striker however the club have denied they made a bid for McCormack.

Fulham have recently been placed under a transfer embargo after breaking Financial Fair Play rules and so are under certain restrictions when it comes to signing players.  This could convince the club to sell £11 million rated McCormack and get the embargo lifted.

However if Fulham do sell their top scorer, it is unlikely he will join Middlesbrough.  It is understood that boss Aitor Karanka is happy with his current squad, that sit top of the table, and is not looking to add to it in the immediate future.

It is believed that Middlesbrough will only delve into the transfer market this month if "a deal was handed on a plate with the right player at the right price."

http://the72.co.uk/44473/middlesbrough-deny-bidding-for-striker/?

WhiteJC

French striker should choose Crystal Palace over Tottenham

ottenham and Crystal Palace both hold an interest in young Fulham striker Moussa Dembele

Both Tottenham and Crystal Palace would love to add Fulham striker Moussa Dembele to their attacking corps in January. The French U20 star would be wise to choose Alan Pardew's club over Mauricio Pochettino's.

It's not that I believe Palace is the better side or has the better manager, it's purely an issue of playing time for Dembele. At Tottenham, he'd only have an opportunity to become their first choice striker if the injury bug bit Harry Kane. In sharp contrast, Dembele would have a significant chance to come into Pardew's side and seize the starting spot.

The young striker has been reasonably productive for Fulham with nine goals in 23 appearances on the season. It's no surprise that a number of Premier League clubs are interested in his services. What is a little surprising is that Fulham are happy to sell him in the January window. Their main motivation would be to receive a significant transfer fee before Dembele is able to leave on a free transfer this summer. Tottenham and Crystal Palace are widely reported to be the two most interested parties.

In truth, moving to either side would likely be good for Dembele's career. He'd benefit significantly from the tutelage of either manager and the experience of training with either side. I do worry that if he ends up in North London he's going to struggle to find game time. The most important thing for a player at his age is to find a club where he can play regularly. That isn't likely to happen in a squad with Harry Kane.

Crystal Palace is in more desperate need to sign a first-choice striker. Connor Wickham has only managed to score one goal as the club's primary striker and has struggled to maintain his fitness. Palace is clearly in the market for a Wickham replacement and has been linked with several prominent targets. Dembele might be the most attainable of the potential players they've been linked with.

It's not a lock that Dembele would be able to hold down the starting number nine spot at Palace but I like his chances to beat out Connor Wickham much more than I like his odds to beat out Harry Kane. As such, the French starlet would be well served to snub Tottenham and sign on the dotted line with Palace this January.

http://playingfor90.com/2016/01/08/french-striker-should-choose-crystal-palace-over-tottenham/?

WhiteJC

'A major step forward' in English football as FA Cup set to decide video technology

Trials of video assistance for referees may take place in next season's FA Cup after football's law-making body strongly recommended that experiments take place.

A final decision will be taken at the International FA Board's (IFAB) annual general meeting in March in Cardiff, but the recommendation to allow trials has been described as a "major step forward".

The Football Association, which has been big supporters of video technology, are expected to offer next season's FA Cup for trials, and the Scottish FA will hold talks on doing the same in the Scottish Cup .

FA chief executive Martin Glenn indicated the governing body would be willing to use its flagship competition for trials. It was also a leading force in the drive to introduce goal-line technology.

Glenn told a news conference: "I'm very happy for things within my direct control - the English FA's direct control - to be part of that. "We are big supporters of the use of technology. So, what do we control? We control the FA Cup."

The trials would be limited to decisions on goals, red cards, penalties and cases of mistaken identity. They would involve different kinds of experiments, such as video only being used when the referee asks for assistance or in a different case where the video assistant would be allowed to flag up errors.

Unlike rugby, there would be no video referee on the big screens in stadiums.

If trials are successful, video assistants could come in for the 2018-19 season but not in time for the 2018 World Cup.

Scottish FA chief executive Stewart Regan added in terms of the Scottish Cup: "It's one that we would certainly discuss as a board. As a personal preference, it's something I'd like to see push forward."

Regan said any move to involve the SPL would have to be discussed with league organisers.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/a_major_step_forward_in_english_football_as_fa_cup_set_to_decide_video_technology_1_4372120
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday v Fulham: Jose Semedo looks to FA Cup to provide yardstick

MIDFIELDER Jose Semedo believes a successful FA Cup run can help Sheffield Wednesday assess their promotion credentials.

The Owls have already accounted for Premier League opposition, in Newcastle United and Arsenal in the League Cup, this season.

Now Carlos Carvalhal's side embark on an FA Cup journey today when they host Fulham at Hillsborough.

Last week's Championship win over the Cottagers pushed the Owls to the edge of the play-off spots, and completing back-to-back wins today would open up the possibility of another top-flight opponent in round four.

"You know if you get past the first round in the cups that you always have a chance to get the big teams," said Semedo, who turns 31 on Monday.

"You can then challenge yourselves and how much closer you are to reaching the reality of the Premier League.

"It is what we want. We want to try and compete against them.

"I played against Arsenal and Manchester City. It is always a good experience when you play against the top teams. It is a big learning curve.

"I remember playing against Yaya Toure and Frank Lampard and the way that they move on the pitch and the way that they think a little bit quicker than you and play the ball without even looking."

Semedo has had to stay patient this season, featuring just 12 times, but looks set to feature today as Carvalhal rotates his squad for the first of three home games in a week.

He is approaching five years at Hillsborough, and his devotion to the Owls is without question.

"Normally when you don't play, you feel a bit of frustration," said Semedo.

"I play for the club I love and like.

"The most important thing for me is to be able to have this badge on my chest every day and that is my motivation.

"It is about the club's needs over mine.

"If I don't play until the end of the season and we get promoted, I will be as happy as I would be if I was playing every week," added Semedo.

The Owls are in talks with Bolton Wanderers midfielder Mark Davies over a reported £750,000 move to Hillsborough.

One player departing is defender Darryl Lachman, who has joined Dutch side SC Cambuur Leeuwarden on loan until June.

The Dutchman failed to make a single first-team appearance since arriving last summer.

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday-v-fulham-jose-semedo-looks-to-fa-cup-to-provide-yardstick-1-7665079#ixzz3wjdIqEw1

WhiteJC

Heading To Sheffield!

It was an early start this morning, three of us leaving West London in our trusty old car and heading off towards South Yorkshire.

The FA Cup 3rd round is always a highlight of the football calendar for me, a day when shocks happen and somebody can be launched into the limelight, Ronny Radford style, to become the name on everyone`s lips.

I just wish that Lady Luck had been a little kinder to us and given us an easier draw than Sheffield Wednesday away, a trip where our away support will be lost in the Leppings Lane End.

However, sat here at a service station, typing away; I`m reasonably optimistic that Fulham can spring something of a minor shock and be in the hat for the 4th round.

On the way up the M1, I came across an article in The Sun whereby our new boss, Slavisa Jokanovic, has remarked about facing Sheffield Wednesday for the second time in eight days, after losing 1-0 to them at Craven Cottage last Saturday,

"I expect we can make a better job than in the last game."

I hope we do Slavisa otherwise it`ll be a long, dreary drive back south.

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=429515

WhiteJC

Cup Clash With The Cottagers

Wednesday welcome last weekend's opponents Fulham to Hillsborough this weekend in the FA Cup 3rd Round, as Carlos Carvalhal aims to set out on his latest cup run with The Owls. Wednesday go in to this game in reasonable form, having lost two and won three of their last five, the impressive win at Craven Cottage last weekend will have done wonders for belief in the squad. The visitors meanwhile, find themselves in particularly poor form, having only won two games in their last 12. However, they have a new manager and one who found success in this league last year, perhaps Slavisa Jokanovic is the man to turn this slump around.

Wednesday Team News

Several players are close to a return to the fold, but it is believed that Marco Matias and Sergiu Bus could make their long awaited comebacks in the FA Cup on Saturday. Tom Lees and Michael Turner remain sidelined but are not expected to be waiting too long for their comebacks, Carvalhal said this week that Lees is back training as normal now. Fernando Forestieri is almost certain to miss the visit of Fulham, as he has tweeted a picture of himself in Argentina this afternoon. Given Carvalhal's public comments about fixture congestion over the festive period, I get the impression that this game has been earmarked for a while as an opportunity to rest some of our more regular starters and give a chance to those on the fringe.

Possible Owls Lineup

Wildsmith; Palmer, Sasso, Loovens, Wiggins; Sougou, Bannan, Semedo, Lee, Helan; Nuhiu.

Fulham News

New gaffer Jokanovic has said this week that he will "use some different players", we see this so much in this competetion, and the fact that both sides are expected to ring the changes takes away some of the spark that the quirks of the fixture computer had provided it with.

We may see ex-England midfielder Scott Parker and young striker Cauley Woodrow come in to the starting XI. Both were used as subs last week, the latter of which caused great confusion amongst Fulham fans that I spoke to last weekend following Woodrow's sparking display against Rotherham in the previous fixture.

Marcus Bettinelli (knee) and midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe (hamstring) remain on the sidelines.

I'm not even going to pretend that I could guess their team for today, and I expect a Fulham fan would tell you the same about our line-up; what I do know is there will be changes.

What Do We Know about Fulham?

Didn't you read last week's preview?! Well other than what we knew then, we know that as yet Jokanovic still hasn't got them playing together. There's no doubt we played brilliantly down in the capital last weekend (as good as we've been away from home all season, for me), and we stifled their attack well. However, they've obviously got the players to hurt teams, McCormack and Dembele being the main two, and now that they've got a manager who has so far proved himself to be very competent in this league, surely it's only a matter of time before they start to click in to gear.

Final Thoughts

As mentioned, what originally looked quite an interesting fixture given the sides met only last weekend, in reality some of the intrigue has been removed by inevitable changes to both line-ups. Still this should be an intriguing game and will hopefully provide opportunity for some of our fringe players to show their worth after poor performances from them in games at Middlesbrough and MK Dons.

The Wednesday 2 - 1 Fulham

https://owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1556