watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Summer signing of the season so far

Started by Mladens Nan, January 09, 2016, 08:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mladens Nan

Seeing as the transfer embargo means we made all our signings in the summer, who do you think has been the best summer signing in terms of impact so far this season?

Summer signings were: Lonergan, Lewis, Richards, Fredericks, Stearman, Ream, Garbutt, Husband, Cairney, O'Hara, Matilla, Pringle,

My top 5:
Stearman
Lonergan
O'Hara
Cairney
Fredericks

copthornemike

On a slightly diferent tack 12 players there.

Effectively a complete starting 12 (albeit no striker), completely new defensive unit + substitute goalkeeper.

To a degree graphically exemplifies one (principle?) reason for our inconsistency and the problem faced by Kit in moulding a cohesive team. On a positive note Jokanovic appeared to have a similar issue with Watford with their Italian rotation system yet managed to get them promoted - no mean feat.

H4usuallysitting

Matilla - Cairney - Fredericks - Lonergan - Ream.....in no particular order

@jolslover

Cairney was our best signing of the summer
STH H3

fulhamben

Quote from: @jolslover on January 09, 2016, 11:31:02 AM
I'll second that. Actually I don't think much of any of the other signings other than Cairney. Certainly wouldn't bother me if they all left in the summer
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

Cairney could been a success had we played him in a centre mid playmaker role, in the narrow wide position he has been wasted.

When we have seen Frederick in a forward wide position he has been effective but we have not seen enough of him.

O' Hara was magnificent for a good while but has faded in more recent matches.

The back four players have conceded so many goals they must all be looked upon as having failed.

No real successful player but let's hope one or two will shine with the new coach if played in their right positions

Riverside

Lonergan for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Martin Thomas

Lonergan.... and he's not great !  The others have a lot to prove.  There's potential in Cairney and Fredericks and time is needed on the pitch.  The others were brought in to be the real deal and help us push on.   We have not pushed on anywhere !!!

colinwhite

You would have to say ohara despite his poor last 2months . I think Cairney is the best players we signed .
All in all none have been great , it has to be said . lonergan has been the most consistent,made some great saves etc , but due to tyhe fact that he stays on his line so much we have conceded alot of goals that could have been avoided .

FPT

Tom Cairney has been great, but I still think he's one or two more notches in him to be even better. Reminds me of Mousa Dembele the Belgian, looked a decent player in his first season, but in his second he kicked on and showed every single part of his ability in the right role. Now, I'm not saying Tom Cairney will be the next Mousa Dembele, but I do think there's more to what we've seen already in terms of scoring goals, creating chances and breaking opposition lines.

For me, our summer signing of the season so far may be Andy Lonergan, mostly as he's probably played as close to his ability than the others. Richard Stearman and Tim Ream have been disappointed, I had hoped that Jazz Richards may kick on after getting a permanent move to London to play games and after his astonishing Wales performances. Jamie O'Hara has regressed disappointingly the past couple of months, his passing not becoming as much of an impact in matches and his obvious lack of physical/athletic ability being punished. Ben Pringle doesn't surprise me, I wrote soon after he signed that he's a decent workhorse - he's not going to be your key player but he's the kind of player every squad needs, I compared him to James Milner. Pringle has probably been worse than I imagined but that happens, I'm willing to give him benefit of doubt at this stage. I'm not convinced what Ryan Fredericks has other than pace; if you took his speed away, what are his abilities?

I'm not going to, but I could argue Moussa Dembele and Emerson Hyndman as summer introductions (lack of better word). Dembele has gone from 5th choice striker to starting striker at 19 and scoring 10 in all comps in his first real season. Emerson Hyndman has recovered from a broken collarbone at the backend of last season, training with the U21s and has no become a very smooth operator in our midfield and one of the first names on the team sheet. It's a shame both may leave in the next 6 months.

Would agree with the notion that Tom Cairney is the best player we signed. But I think Lonergan, especially with the Bettinelli injured, has been our most important signing.

Mladens Nan

I think one thing that can definitely be said for all is disappointing....

... I remember there was a lot of optimism around all the signings, some of which had been player of the season at previous clubs and most had decent championship/PL experience.

Now, I'm not too shocked to see any of those 12 players not making the first eleven, and I'm not too disappointed either, which is quite crazy really, after just a few months!

Skatzoffc

Cairney for me.
He needs to play in central midfield every game imo.

Lonners has been very solid also.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

clarkey

Good analysis FPT
Cairney is a class act and has looked really good at times, often playing in a strangely set up team (thanks Kit) He definitely has more to offer.

Lonners is the other gem, he is really reliable and I prefer him to Betts. Fredericks has true potential and is something different and super fast, he can scare the oppo but  apart from Stearman's positive attitude there are few other reasons to be super optimistic.Be good to have Rigg's analysis.

I agree Moussa is like a new player and vital we hold onto him.He has that knack of scoring and will only get better.

ffcannom

Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2016, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: @jolslover on January 09, 2016, 11:31:02 AM
I'll second that. Actually I don't think much of any of the other signings other than Cairney. Certainly wouldn't bother me if they all left in the summer

Agreed!

nose

how does a player that doesn't look up. holds the ball too long and only passes as an action of last resort get to be our best signing? Or is that this is a measure of how far we have fallen and some of our horizons have changed.
Maybe if he plays in central midfield he will play better, but for me he showboats far too often, not at all convinced.

hovewhite

lonners ,the rest not a lot better than what we have in house already,cairney has the most potential.

Jims Dentist

Lonners for me, he is a superb shot stopper.
If he could only kick straight and take a few crosses he would be a top keeper.