watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Other Teams See Us

Started by filham, January 10, 2016, 01:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Interesting quote from the Wednesday manager after the  back to back matches against Fulham;-

" The strategy was to give Fulham the ball . They are a team who like to play and we new we could play on the  counter"

Every other Championship manager probable thinks the same. Joka. has somehow got to make our attack more direct and our defence tighter. The question is has he the right players at his disposal.

FPT

And to quote a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, "Was #ffc poor finishing and two half volleys from outside the box also the plan?  If so I'm impressed."

With sharper finishing we could have won by three or four. Genius that Carlos, absolute genius.

Bill2

Quote from: filham on January 10, 2016, 01:15:08 PM
Interesting quote from the Wednesday manager after the  back to back matches against Fulham;-

" The strategy was to give Fulham the ball . They are a team who like to play and we new we could play on the  counter"

Every other Championship manager probable thinks the same. Joka. has somehow got to make our attack more direct and our defence tighter. The question is has he the right players at his disposal.

I think the quote from the fan indicates that they were rather fortunate and they knew that. Bannon's goal was not that dissimilar from the one they scored at the cottage, which indicates we need to work better at shutting down these opportunities.

Twig

More pace would also help.  Build us are still frequently too slow.

HV71

Pace for me is the key issue - if you defend as a team with men behind the ball  it's almost impossible to counter attack without it. The same when we try and build from the back - if you don't have wide men with pace ( on both sides of the pitch) then invariably your game is slow and predictable.

ToodlesMcToot

My question for the Wednesday manager and any who believe his strategy will prove to be a good one: did the strategy really work?

Did Sheffield actually beat us by countering? It doesn't appear so. And allowing us possession, in my estimation has produced more quality opportunities for Fulham.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Baszab

I think their strategy worked - they scored more goals than us - that normally means they win

I love the blind faith on this board at the moment and continual talking up of nothing in particular

cmg

Quote from: Baszab on January 10, 2016, 05:49:11 PM
I think their strategy worked - they scored more goals than us - that normally means they win

I love the blind faith on this board at the moment and continual talking up of nothing in particular

Sure. But the OP isn't about the result or, in fact, the strategy (if any) but it is about what the SW manager said was the strategy.

ToodlesMcToot

Scoring more goals than your opponent is a goal. It's not a strategy.

I see improvement in our play. Too small a sample size to be sure, I'll concede.  But, we haven't conceded from a set piece since SJ began working with the team. That's real evidence of improvement. Two of the three goals we've conceded have been of the "worldy" distinction. They've been more down to opportunism and skill/luck than to defensive breakdowns. We've not been out of either game. In fact, we've had far more real goalscoring opportunities over that short time. We seem to have corrected some defensive frailty without sacrificing our attacking capabilities.

If you don't want to see improvement in anything that's transpired over the last 180 minutes, then fine. I do however.

I will say that if you still believe that Sheffield's stated strategy for the game is what produced the result, then your faith is far more blind than mine.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

TWFL

And 9/10 times their strategy wouldn't have worked. I don't know if you went to the game or have watched the full 90 minutes but we were 100% the better, more dangerous team. It was poor finishing on our part that was the issue. There's already been a marked improvement in play after two games that SJ has been in charge for, please save judgement until you actually watch the team.

Bill2

Perhaps our strategy should be to miss less chances than our opposition, if this is the case we would have won yesterday.