News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How do you feel about Jokanovic's 18 month contract?

Started by ToodlesMcToot, January 18, 2016, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

I've been thinking about this known bit of his agreement with our club ever since I saw it made official.

As far as I know, there is no unilateral option for either side to extend the deal. As far as I know, the deal is for 18 months.....that's it. I freely admit to knowing nothing more than that and I don't believe that any other details about the contract have been shared, as I guess one would expect.

But, I wonder if we've not put ourselves a bit between a rock and a hard place with the length of the deal. Supposedly, Mr. Khan has found the man that he believes in. One should reasonably be safe in assuming that many others within the club sincerely agree.

So, if he is indeed believed to be the one to "rebuild" our team into a promotion worthy one, then why not at least give ourselves the ability to retain him longer than the minimum it takes for him to prove it? For me, signing him to that "minimum" time frame really winds up putting us in a poor position either way. If he is successful in getting us promoted, then he'll have us over a barrel and be able to play us against other, sure to be coming, bidders. If he's not successful in 18 months (probably less), then it gives the club the excuse to let him go and to continue feeding into that "gotta have it now" mentality rather than patiently building toward what we want.

I just think that if we truly believe in the man's character and ability to build a winning team, then sign him to a contract that says we're in it with him for the long haul.

Maybe this is the contract that SJ wanted. I don't know.

I'm just interested how others feel about it, their reasoning for their feeling, and hearing any new information about the deal if there is any known.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Baszab

So far - too long

Hopefully too short over the next few matches

Tony

There is a rather interesting article on the BBC Website about the length of time managers stay in their jobs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35345928
The average for the Championship is only 1.37 years
I guess that is because the good managers move on to better things and the poor managers get the sack.
I am not convinced that frequently changing managers, in the hope that one of them is successful, is a sensible plan but that seems to be the current thinking.
I hope Jokanovic is given time. At least to be given time to bring in players that he believes will be better than the current squad. And if there is an improvement, he should be allowed to continue with that improvement, and not be sacked because he has not achieved an unrealistic target.

west kowloon white

So far- too long.Predicatable.
Seems like a sensible balance for all concerned to me but then can't find it in myself to be negative about everything all the time.Enjoy life. while you have it.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MJG

It's fine,  both parties can see how things go and review at end of this calendar year. Doing well extended,  if not..... We all know what happens next.

copthornemike

Quote from: MJG on January 18, 2016, 09:11:01 PM
It's fine,  both parties can see how things go and review at end of this calendar year. Doing well extended,  if not..... We all know what happens next.
Spot on   :plus one:

hovewhite

Jimmy Hill

Parachute payments end next season could be the reason

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Baszab on January 18, 2016, 07:36:11 PM
So far - too long

Hopefully too short over the next few matches

Joker.

It's divs like you that give football fans a bad name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Woolly Mammoth

18 months is long enough, it can be reviewed by both parties nearer the time.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Well there are two on this thread who already seem to have given up on him.  I understand the frustration of supporters who crave a return to stability and a measure of success but now is our opportunity so for goodness sake get behind Joka, I firmly believe he is the man for the job but we must give him some time.

Oakeshott

"Well there are two on this thread who already seem to have given up on him."

Maybe not as "thoughtful" as that. Rather, so blinkered in their support of Kit and bitter at his demise that they are unable to look hopefully on any change and are prepared to see doom and gloom in what most of us see as an entirely predictable period of adjustment.

Most must surely agree that Roy was our most successul manager in recent decades, arguably ever, but it took him some months to get the squad playing as he wanted and one could say he was a tad lucky (with that unexpected and essentially unique shift Kamara put in away at Manchester City). And at least Roy had the advantage of being able to sign some players, not least the great Brede (who also took some time to adjust to the Premiership - his performance against Sunderland at home soon after his arrival was memorably dire). In my view the positive signs of J's arrival are already clear and results will follow in due course.

Chutney

its a good idea because we can get rid of him if he doesn't work out. Imagine if we handed him a two or three year contract and things don't improve
C O Y W

Hoppus

Quote from: Chutney on January 19, 2016, 07:54:46 AM
its a good idea because we can get rid of him if he doesn't work out. Imagine if we handed him a two or three year contract and things don't improve

You really think a contract will stop Fulham from sacking a manager? Where have you been the last years? :D

I am quite surprised that people expect results from Jokanovic from day one. This is not he`s squad, he has been here for only a few weeks and for me it`s obvious he need to be given time. I don't say we should not criticize him for he's mistakes, but please give him some time.

Some people on this forum criticize the club for not giving Kit enough time (he got two transfer windows), and they now want to give up on Jokanovic after four games. That does not make sense for me.

I truly believe that he will make great progress next season, he will strengthen the team during the summer and be given time to work with he`s tactics.  If Rigg trust him with money and freedom on the transfer window next summer, I think he will succeed.

Twig

Quote from: Oakeshott on January 19, 2016, 06:09:54 AM
"Well there are two on this thread who already seem to have given up on him."

Maybe not as "thoughtful" as that. Rather, so blinkered in their support of Kit and bitter at his demise that they are unable to look hopefully on any change and are prepared to see doom and gloom in what most of us see as an entirely predictable period of adjustment.

Most must surely agree that Roy was our most successul manager in recent decades, arguably ever, but it took him some months to get the squad playing as he wanted and one could say he was a tad lucky (with that unexpected and essentially unique shift Kamara put in away at Manchester City). And at least Roy had the advantage of being able to sign some players, not least the great Brede (who also took some time to adjust to the Premiership - his performance against Sunderland at home soon after his arrival was memorably dire). In my view the positive signs of J's arrival are already clear and results will follow in due course.

I certainly agree that there are some positive signs.  With regards my rather polite way of appealing to the doubters / haters, you may be right that they are too bitter to see any good in Joka and just want to wallow in doom and gloom. However I saw no point in stoking the internecine warfare that rages too often on this board so I preferred to extend a hand and ask the doubters to behave like supporters and get behind our new manager.  Hopefully everyone can reserve their opinions and do that.

Yamus

Perhaps it isn't the manager we should change but some of the supporter's

Chutney

Quote from: Hoppus on January 19, 2016, 08:59:35 AM
Quote from: Chutney on January 19, 2016, 07:54:46 AM

You really think a contract will stop Fulham from sacking a manager? Where have you been the last years? :D

I am quite surprised that people expect results from Jokanovic from day one. This is not he`s squad, he has been here for only a few weeks and for me it`s obvious he need to be given time. I don't say we should not criticize him for he's mistakes, but please give him some time.

Some people on this forum criticize the club for not giving Kit enough time (he got two transfer windows), and they now want to give up on Jokanovic after four games. That does not make sense for me.

I truly believe that he will make great progress next season, he will strengthen the team during the summer and be given time to work with he`s tactics.  If Rigg trust him with money and freedom on the transfer window next summer, I think he will succeed.

Willing to give him time and agree that he needs it as we will make progress under him but this topic was about his contract, 18 months means that should we need to sack him we won't end up paying out a huge sum to buy out his contract, this is why it is a good option.
C O Y W

filham

At the rate we have been changing managers 18 months seems a sensible time, it gives both sides the opportunity to freely review the situation at the end of next season.

westcliff white

The guy has been here 3 weeks or so and some already want him gone, Christ its becoming boring from some.
Every day is a Fulham day