more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (25/1/2016)

Started by love4ffc, January 25, 2016, 07:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

The View from South Texas – Fulham FC v. Hull City

Yesterday's match was the fourth I've been able to watch this season, and the first since our new gaffer took over.

Oh, what the hell, why bother ... sigh ... .

Okay, I've gotten that out of my system. Since Slavisa Jokanovic took over, the team has changed in several ways: (1) We're playing a higher line in order to keep the pressure on our opponents, (2) We're dominating each match in terms of possession, (3) We've not been as susceptible to giving up goals on corner kicks, (4) There seems to be a better spirit in the squad, AND (5) Our lineup changes – sometimes drastically – from match to match. Some things haven't changed, however: (1) we're still giving up late goals and losing points from them, (2) We're woefully inconsistent from half to half, (3) We're still being bitten by the injury bug.

So, to be fair, not everything that's wrong is Joka's fault. We dropped points in three consecutive matches as the result of once-in-a-lifetime goals – certainly there wasn't much he could do about that. And the injury thing, I mean, really.

Hull City is riding high. They've been unbeatable at home and dangerous on the road. And, like us, they like to score goals. Going into the match they were the highest scoring team in the league and we were second. Naturally, the game featured only one goal – and that one from the penalty spot. This was not going to be an easy match to get a result from – and we didn't – but it did help those of us stuck on the other side of the water to get a better assessment of how we're looking and what the future may hold.

From the beginning, the Tigers seemed more than willing to play the entire match in their half. Our latest CB pairing – Ream and Burn [sounds a bit like torturing instructions] spend much more time close to the center circle than they did near their own keeper. Indeed, at one point, Burn tore up field with the ball and provided a fairly decent cross near the touch line. At first I was a bit distracted by a center back pairing of two left footers. Then I realized that I'd seen probably a thousand matches with two right-footed CBs, so I let it go. I thought they did a decent job during the match – which was primarily due to the fact that they had little one-on-one defending to do. Garbutt and Richards also seldom saw their own half, but they were not nearly so effective as their defensive partners. Of the midfield crew, it seemed clear that Joka has chosen Tom Cairney as his attacking force, and I thought Cairney did well in this role. Joka also loves width – as do I – and so I was pleased to see Kacaniklic and Christensen in the lineup. I was less enraptured with Parker's and O'Hara's inclusion, although I understood the reasoning. In a match where you really think you might get something steady veteran hands at the wheel are always a great idea.

The five-man midfield was in support of Moussa Dembele. With Ross ill – as we were informed – it was Moussa's job to muscle people, run the channels, split defenders with attacking runs to open space for the three attacking mids, and make himself available. The problem was that Fulham spent about 85% of the match in the positions they would normally be happy to progress to. And so Fulham's attacking mids and foraging FBs couldn't open gaps in a defense on the retreat. Worse than that, running to and fro trying to make something happen is NOT in Dembele's locker. Yesterday was a day for Cauley Woodrow, but then there's that injury bug. So, I think I'm fairly safe in saying that we only created a single clear chance in the run of play, young Special K fluffing it. We did cause some concern, but those were from set pieces. By the end of the first half, I was certain we would not score. Hull was simply too good to concede when not under relentless pressure.

For the longest time it looked like we might have two teams that can't stop scoring "fighting" to a 0-0 draw, but then something happened in the 71st minute that filled me with dread. It was then that Tom Huddlestone came on as a sub. Yes, he had nothing to do with our downfall, I'm just convinced he's an evil talisman for us. Seven minutes later, LVC found himself the last line of defense against a rare Hull attack, brought down Moses Udubajo in the box. A stone dead penalty resulted and, although Lonergan almost saved Abel Hernandez's shot, it was 0-1, and that's the way that it ended.

Joka replaced Kaca and LVC with Hyndman and Williams, and even took off game but ineffective Scott Parker for Matt Smith, but it made little difference. Fulham managed to find Smith's forehead, but none of his knockdowns were near enough an open White to cause Hull any problems. So, 0-1, and it seems as if we haven't secured three points since Adam Sandler last made a decent movie.

Likes/dislikes? I liked Cairney in this role a lot. If we have a 4-3-1-2, I'd like him as the "1." He looked the man most likely throughout the match. I though Kaca played well. LVC did also, but his trump card is turning defense into attack, and the half-court game that Hull allowed us to play didn't suit him. His very good free kick – that was repelled by the most routine of saves – aside, O'Hara is looking very average, and is showing us why he was so available this past summer. The only player I thought was consistently bad was Jazz Richards. He seemed a half step slow and a foot out of position all match. It's no secret that I am not enamored of Moussa Dembele. He needs somebody to do his work for him, and when they do, the lad scores. But the man who has been setting him up all season was not on the pitch yesterday, and so he was pretty useless out there. I don't think Smith is the answer either. I think he's good at coming on with 10-15 minutes to go and muscling tired defenders. The problem yesterday is that the defenders had no reason to be tired, really. We needed Cauley, but we likely won't have him until the English spring is full upon us – with a hey nonny nonny and a hot cha cha.

On the other hand, we controlled the ball for at least 80% of the first half and 67% overall. We maintained discipline, and made ourselves available for passes throughout. Our defense never looked vulnerable against the league's top scorers, and our subs looked strong and lively. With Ross back and partnering Dembele, I think we'll string some good results together shortly and likely finish closer to the playoffs than the relegation zone – at least points wise. This coming summer – free from transfer restrictions – I think Joka will be able to improve our squad.

HatterDon's Man of the Match – Tom Cairney
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

love4ffc

Spurs' Transfer Rumors: Fulham's Moussa Dembélé Might Not Be Sold

The rumor has Fulham manager Slaviša Jokanović being reluctant to sell Moussa Dembélé. And that's not a surprise because they've had a transfer embargo placed on them, so the Cottagers can't sign anyone even if they got £6 million from Spurs, or anyone, before the deadline.

Slaviša Jokanović isn't entertaining the idea of selling French striker, Moussa Dembélé. This won't hurt Spurs as Mauricio Pochettino he's stated numerous times that he's happy with his current squad. Obviously Spurs would benefit with a player like Dembélé playing alongside Harry Kane, but for the time being Tottenham are fine with other players recently scoring.

"There is always speculation about Dembélé and McCormack, but people need to understand Fulham too," Jokanović said.

"If they are serious people they see we do not need money right now, we need other things, and we are not in a situation where we have to sell our best players."
"We have seven days or so left and everything will be clearer then but, from my side, I don't want and I do not make the steps to sell anyone."

"The plan is to bring in new people and we are looking at the loan market."

From the very beginning, with a transfer embargo placed on Fulham, selling one of their best players for £6 million (rather than letting him leave for a small compensation fee to a foreign club) would set the Cottagers back this season. Because currently they're sitting in 19th place in the Championship. And money wouldn't help Fulham bring new players in since they can't. All they can do is look for loan deals instead

love4ffc

Stoke's Steve Sidwell targeted by Fulham and Brighton

Fulham and Brighton have made bids for Stoke midfielder Steve Sidwell, according to Sky sources.

Sidwell has made just four appearances this season and none since August in the Premier League, and City are willing to sell him this month.

The 33-year-old was at Brighton's Amex Stadium on Saturday to watch a 2-1 win over Huddersfield in the Championship, although Albion said afterwards he was there as a guest of their striker Bobby Zamora.

love4ffc

Fulham's Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele not for sale, says boss Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted Fulham do not need to sell their best players, despite suffering under a transfer embargo.

Star strikers Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele, who have 24 Championship goals between them, have been the subject of interest from a number of clubs in the current transfer window.

Middlesbrough are understood to have had two bids rejected for McCormack, while Tottenham are interested in a deal for Dembele - but head coach Jokanovic insists he needs these players to keep Fulham up.

Tottenham are keen to take Moussa Dembele to White Hart Lane

"There is always speculation about Dembele and McCormack, but people need to understand Fulham too," Jokanovic said.

"If they are serious people they see we do not need money right now, we need other things, and we are not in a situation where we have to sell our best players.

"We have seven days or so left and everything will be clearer then but, from my side, I don't want and I do not make the steps to sell anyone.

"The plan is to bring in new people and we are looking at the loan market."

McCormack did not appear in the squad for the 1-0 defeat at home to Hull on Saturday, instead watching from the stands.

Slavisa Jokanovic insists Fulham do not need to sell this month

But Jokanovic explained: "Ross didn't play because yesterday he was sick and he has had some some physical problems after the last game.

"He has only trained once this week so he didn't appear in the squad. I don't believe physically he was ready to play.

"Psychologically, I understand there is much rumour and speculation, and I understand McCormack too.

"Ross is a professional and has a family, and he is thinking about the solution and the best steps for him, I understand that."

love4ffc

Sean Kavanagh: Mansfield sign Fulham defender on loan

League Two side Mansfield Town have signed Fulham left-back Sean Kavanagh on loan until the end of the season.
The 22-year-old, who can also play in midfield, has made just two appearances for the Whites this season.
Kavanagh, a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international, has featured a total of 25 times for Fulham since making his first-team debut in August 2014.
He is eligible to make his debut for the Stags in Saturday's match at home to Luton Town.

love4ffc

Ross McCormack wants out of Fulham with Middlesbrough launching £9m bid for striker

Ross McCormack has told Fulham he wants to leave. The Scotland international believes he has played his last game for the club and is keen to push through a move to Middlesbrough.
He was left out of Saturday's team to face Hull after complaining about feeling unwell and has not trained all week.
Middlesbrough have proposed a £9million offer plus striker Kike on loan for McCormack and will increase their bid.

He wants to play Premier League football and sees promotion chasing Boro as his best chance to do so. 
Fulham insist he is not for sale and see no value in losing McCormack as they battle to stay in the Championship and remain under transfer embargo.
The 29-year-old though, who has scored 15 league goals this season, wants to join Middlesbrough as he believes it is his best chance of playing in the top flight and has told manager Slavisa Jokanovic he wants out.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3413890/Ross-McCormack-wants-Fulham-Middlesbrough-launching-9m-bid-striker.html#ixzz3yF14Huca
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

love4ffc

Head Coach Reaction

One mistake cost Fulham against Hull City, according to Head Coach Slaviša Jokanović.

Lasse Vigen Christensen's clumsy challenge on Moses Odubajo with 10 minutes left earned the Tigers a penalty, from which Abel Hernandez scored the winning goal to send Hull to the top of the table.

The result was harsh on Fulham who dominated for long spells and Jokanović said: "First of all we're very disappointed. I believe we played very well for 60-65 minutes and had a lot of possession. It's true, we didn't create many chances but it was clear the game was heading for a draw then we made one mistake and lost.

"I don't know if it was intentional, but I believe the referee made the right call."

Fulham enjoyed 67 per cent of the play against Steve Bruce's side, but Allan McGregor was only forced into a couple of saves.

"I try to organise my team," said Jokanović. "Hull are one of the top teams in the Championship; they are more solid, more stronger and more faster. I tried to find a way to win the game. I don't think we're ready to play in a similar way to Hull but I didn't see a big difference between us and them.

"We showed some organisation, we had more balance but it's the second game I've lost at home."

Jokanović, who was without an ill Ross McCormack, admitted he is keen to dip into the loan market as soon as possible.

"It's not an easy situation for us, I made three changes, but we're looking to the loan market," he said. "Our plan is to bring in new people. We have another week and we're trying to do something. We need to improve."

On McCormack, Jokanović added: "Yesterday he was sick and he had a physical problem from the last game at Huddersfield. He'd made only one training session this week. Physically, he wasn't ready for today's game. I know there are rumours and speculation, he's one of the best Championship players, but I don't want to sell anybody."