watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Best performance at the Cottage by a visiting team

Started by HatterDon, January 29, 2016, 03:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I was just watching the Europa League compilation video, and there was just a snippet of our match with Shaktar Donetsk. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't ever remember seeing a side play such creative and accomplished attacking football for 90+ minutes.

I still can't believe we beat those guys.

Anybody else see a visiting side impress you?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: HatterDon on January 29, 2016, 03:23:40 PM
I was just watching the Europa League compilation video, and there was just a snippet of our match with Shaktar Donetsk. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't ever remember seeing a side play such creative and accomplished attacking football for 90+ minutes.

I still can't believe we beat those guys.

Anybody else see a visiting side impress you?

I agree about Shaktar.
I was there that night and was amazed we came away with a win.

Bournemouth were outstanding last season but its hard to judge due to our pathetic efforts.

Lincoln City battered us (literally) in the last game of the 81/82 when we scraped a draw to win promotion.   

FPT

They were fantastic.

I do remember us being absolutely tonked by Manchester United one night, Ryan Giggs was in central midfield and I found myself almost enjoying watching them just take us apart bit by bit. I think it was 0-5 and they were pretty flawless.

Another one that springs to mind is when we clapped off Swansea when they had Brendan Rodgers. I think they beat us 0-3 at Craven Cottage, we still had Dempsey and Dembele but we were just outclassed. I think these two matches may actually have been in the same season and saw the start of the downfall of Fortress Craven Cottage.

EricB

Agree with Shaktar Donetsk They were a joy to watch.What have their players gone on to since ?  Was Chelsea's Williams in that side?

FPT

Quote from: EricB on January 29, 2016, 03:55:42 PM
Agree with Shaktar Donetsk They were a joy to watch.What have their players gone on to since ?  Was Chelsea's Williams in that side?

Pick of the bunch:

Razvan Rat: Had an unsuccessful stint at West Ham, now 34 in the end of his career. Looked a fantastic left back though.

Darijo Srna: Still at Shakhtar at 33 you've got to think it's too late. Another very good full back.

Fernandinho: Won the title at Manchester City after being bought for £34m.

Jadson: Made his Brazil debut the year after and played in Brazil for a couple of years. 32 now playing in China.

Willian: Won the title at Chelsea moving there via Anzhi for £30m. Made his Brazil debut since.

Luiz Adriano: Moved to AC Milan in the summer after continuing to score goals in Ukraine. Bid was accepted from a team in China but fell through this window. Brazil international last season was given the "MVP" for the Champions League group stages.

Douglas Costa: Came off of the bench in the home game. Now at Bayern Munich for just over £22m and a Brazil international. Now one of the best wingers in the world.

dannyboi-ffc

Without doubt Shakhtar were the best team I've ever seen at the Cottage. The football they played was incredible.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

FPT

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 29, 2016, 04:10:28 PM
Without doubt Shakhtar were the best team I've ever seen at the Cottage. The football they played was incredible.

It's a shame the coach (now 70 years old) will never really be known in England or mainstream Europe really. He built such a creative, joyous team with a squad being snapped up largely pretty cheaply by players young out of Brazil. That sort of intense freedom and fluidity is what I think Jokanovic could do here with time. Let attacking players express themselves, attack in bursts with pace and movement.

HamsterWheel

I sat amongst all the Shaktar team in the Riverside the weekend before the game when they came to watch Fulham v Notts County in the FA Cup. I'd initially no idea who they were as they all wore black down jackets with "WAXTAP" on them. Google at half time and I figured out it was Shaktar ! Willian and Costa were sat right behind me, massive diamond ear-rings. They all kept pointing out "Bobby Zamora" - obviously they'd been told to look out for him.
Some great players, they played super football and I agree I've no idea how we won !

brightster

I agree about Shaktar but anyone remember Arsenal in I think 2006, they played us off the park with a sublime performance from Mr Henry, they subbed him with 10 mins to go and he got a standing ovation from the hole ground, it ended up 4-0 to them!

Burt

Shaktar is a good shout.

I also remember a match here against Arsenal who beat us 3-0, they played us off the park, but Thierry Henry was the stand-out player. It's the only time I can remember when an opposition player got applauded off the pitch when they got substituted.

fulhamben

Quote from: brightster on January 29, 2016, 04:43:06 PM
I agree about Shaktar but anyone remember Arsenal in I think 2006, they played us off the park with a sublime performance from Mr Henry, they subbed him with 10 mins to go and he got a standing ovation from the hole ground, it ended up 4-0 to them!
Was that the one where adebayour ripped us a new one
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

brightster

Quote from: fulhamben on January 29, 2016, 04:46:00 PM
Quote from: brightster on January 29, 2016, 04:43:06 PM
Was that the one where adebayour ripped us a new one

That both did that day! They even brought on Berkamp and Fabrigas near the end!

yatewhite

I'm going back decades. To 1974 in fact. Anybody remember when Jack Charlton's Middlesbrough side came to the Cottage and stuffed us 0-4? Absolutely played us off the park and we applauded them off! I'm not sure about this but I seem to remember it was Bobby Moore's first game for us. Happy to be corrected on that though!