News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Derby game - too soon to tell or most telling.

Started by Beamer, February 05, 2016, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beamer

There may have been a few buds of improvement showing in patches under SJ and we are about to play a talented team who before the season began we would probably have been happy to measure our strength against (in terms of table position). However it hasn't worked out that way and we are miles apart in position presently - although that has little to do with SJ.
My question is - should we be taking this game against a strong team in poor current form as an indication of our likely progress over the rest of the season or is it too soon to expect SJ and his recent new recruits to start to show real progress.
A win with a decent performance could do wonders for confidence of both players and supporters, another toothless show could have fans seriously worrying about relegation or do we just say too soon to tell.

Allestree andy

really positive about this game, the squad have had time to get to know what S.J wants, i predict a 3-1 scoreline to  us.

COYW   049:gif  049:gif  049:gif  049:gif  049:gif 
To the limit and beyond

filham

Jocanovic has been in charge for 5 matches now and has tried several different players and systems, also he has bought in three new players, . We have collected but a single point over these five games a result is now due, if we don't pick up three points at home on Saturday then we will be asking what is wrong and how much longer will we have to wait for a win.

bill taylors apprentice

Its time to see a settled side emerge and some more dynamic (but controlled) attacking play.

Last seasons home game against Derby (by coincidence) would be a case in point.

With a few exceptions, every game in this league should be seen as an opportunity to gain 3 points.

SP

I don't know much about the current Derby side but the centre back (Keogh?) always looks a bit shakey so hopefully it's onwards & upwards.

nose

i think we can see signs of improvement but joca has inherited a very iffy squad. I know a few people on the MB go on about its quality but I have failed to be that impressed with the summer signings.

It is however a very good game to measure where we are because the last game against hull we were ok but without ross totally toothless, this time I assume he will play so perhaps we might threaten their goal a bit!

Mac_21

Quote from: SP on February 05, 2016, 11:23:09 AM
I don't know much about the current Derby side but the centre back (Keogh?) always looks a bit shakey so hopefully it's onwards & upwards.

It was Keogh that fluffed his clearance in the last min of the Play Off final and allowed Bobby to score for QPR. I think he has been at fault for a couple of goals recently.

Lighthouse

Not sure how long we can keep on saying 'it is too early to judge'. The stupidity of sacking a manager who had us in a dull mid table position to taking so long in bring in a replacement means we are just running out of time. One win since the signing of the Magna Carta means we are now relegation candidates.

But in the greater good of the building of a new Fulham under the master builder that is our new manager. Well a win or draw would mean little in the long term. In the short term I would take a lucky win just to prove we are still capable.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Wearethewhites

Would like to be proved wrong, but still think it's a bit early. Will take a draw now.

One James stannard

I dreamt last night that we won 4-0 and it doesn't get more concrete than that!!!

I've even had a sneeky £1 bet at 100-1
I'm starting to see that better times are ahead, onwards and upwards 082.gif

filham

Quote from: Wearethewhites on February 05, 2016, 01:07:09 PM
Would like to be proved wrong, but still think it's a bit early. Will take a draw now.
How long then are we prepared to go without a win, remember we allowed Magath seven.

nose

Quote from: filham on February 05, 2016, 01:59:50 PM
How long then are we prepared to go without a win, remember we allowed Magath seven.

magath's team selections and tactics were bizarre. The current manager seems to have method and we can see a real structure emerging, I do not think they can be compared even if we lose the next four. Further, magath had a premiership squad not this bunch.

fulhamben

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2016, 12:40:14 PM
Not sure how long we can keep on saying 'it is too early to judge'. The stupidity of sacking a manager who had us in a dull mid table position to taking so long in bring in a replacement means we are just running out of time. One win since the signing of the Magna Carta means we are now relegation candidates.

But in the greater good of the building of a new Fulham under the master builder that is our new manager. Well a win or draw would mean little in the long term. In the short term I would take a lucky win just to prove we are still capable.
The stupidity of not sacking kit in the summer far outweighs your other concerns
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ToodlesMcToot

Think we should expect an even better defensive performance that that against Hull, but we may still be a bit away from combining that fixation on defensive organization with creating goals.

Might be a bit too soon to expect a complete performance from the squad but, we are close. Hope to see Ince straight into the team. Maybe too soon for Labyad and Madl.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Loz

Quote from: nose on February 05, 2016, 02:02:58 PM

magath's team selections and tactics were bizarre. The current manager seems to have method and we can see a real structure emerging, I do not think they can be compared even if we lose the next four. Further, magath had a premiership squad not this bunch.

Magath had also just seen us relegated from the Prem with barely a whimper of resistance. Even if we get hammered tomorrow, Joka doesn't compare to Magath.
@LawrenceQuilty

J

If you think that the situation under Jokanovic now is even close to being the same as under Magath you should go see a doctor to get your head checked.

A) Magath wasn't new to the club when that run happened
B) He had made a lot of signings and had a chance to shape the squad, so it was his "team" (actual signings, not loans)
C) We weren't showing any sign of improving under him either, whereas we have put in good performances with lots of positives to take under Joka
D) Ultimately Jokanovic seems to have a clear idea and direction for what he is doing whereas Magath did not

Patience is difficult, I know this, but I have every confidence that as soon as it all clicks and we get a solid win we will get another then another etc. in close succession and go on some kind of consistent run of results.

Mince n Tatties

Derby haven't won since December,so you know
what will happen.
But I'm confident 4-0 Fulham ( Ross 2 and Matt 2 ).. :022:

filham

Quote from: nose on February 05, 2016, 02:02:58 PM

I do agree that Jokanovic is looking good and so, so much better than Magath, the only reason for mentioning Magath is that it was poor results that was his ultimate downfall not his style.

We must expect results soon from Jokanovic. A win tomorrow would stop pressure building up.

BestOfBrede

I may be madly optimistic, but I think Jokanovic could become our all time most successful manager. I like the way he talks about the game, which has traits of both Tigana (fast attacking play) and Hodgson (defensive security). Add to this, he has our richest owner in our history and this could be a marriage made in heaven.

To me, we need real patience as I think success is just around the corner. We seriously need to keep this guy and keep him happy - he will get us promoted and successful, IMO

Tomorrow?

It may be too early to judge due to newbies, but I wouldn't panic even if we lose again!

Ask for a prediction - well I'd go for 1-0 but totally unsure due to above

SuffolkWhite

I think this game is the perfect test at the right time, the performance is what i'm looking for more than anything. we have not had too much Fulhamish this season and now would be a good time for it to kick in.................we're due a win, even a lucky one!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yea and I hate Derby!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"