watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

To get relegated

Started by millsy, February 09, 2016, 09:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millsy

I hate to think like this but despite the decent point against Derby, our shortcomings still seem evident and make winning games a tough proposition in this league. However, unless I'm not thinking clearly, from where we sit today with 17 games to play, given our 4 point advantage and heavily superior goal difference, it would require at least 3 of the 5 teams currently below us to outperform us by 5 points in order to dump us into the bottom 3 by season end.

Now, while I can see that 1, or maybe even 2 of these might turn themselves around and start to pick up some wins, it seems unlikely that as many as 3 will do so and this discounts the possibility that another team, such as Huddersfield or Blackburn go into a slump.

Of course, if the green shoots we have seen recently, start to bear fruit and we start winning a few games, then all this will be academic. Personally, I think this is the most likely outcome but while we continue to be incapable of keeping a clean sheet and our French starlet retains his place, despite his current lack of goal threat, I remain nervous and fearful.

Just need to scramble our way out of this mess and scrape survival this season and I have great confidence in Jokanovic and his team for our future well-being.

jarv

I agree, very nervous. Will feel this way until they win a couple of games. Been in freefall since...???  A long time now.

J

Which shortcomings remain evident? If you mean keeping a clean sheet we look much more likely now than before.

millsy

When I talk about shortcomings, I'm thinking mainly of coughing the ball up too easily, full-backs not getting close enough to their wingers, keeper's inability to dominate in his box and hesitancy to shoot when in range.

Of course, every team has weaknesses but the above, added to our low ratio of second balls won and our starting CF's first touch and general hold-up play and it's no surprise to me that we're most often struggling to beat any but the weakest teams.

Skatzoffc

It's a funny thread millsy.
You're kind of negative but at the same time I read it that we will be OK.
8-)
Worrying times I can agree for some. But for me I see improvement and wins on the way.
Trust and believe my friend.

We are on the turn imo.

Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

millsy

You're right Skatzo, I want to find positives but after watching back the Derby 90 mins, it actually looked worse to me than it did live on the day, with the same failings causing us problems. The only real improvements I see so far are in the pressing and higher tempo game we are attempting to play.

Hope Ince and Labyad make a difference in key areas and that your optimism is well placed!

Beamer

There is a gap in the table between lower mid and the bottom groups and to catch the group above we realistically need a minimum of 3 wins. Breaching the gap will not be easy so it seems we need to make that our target in the short term but in reality it looks like the rest of our season will be spent looking nervously downwards. A win against QPR and Blackburn (our game in hand) would go a long way to easing the pressure, so it's fingers crossed for that change of fortune over the next week.