more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lonergan or Betts?

Started by Samsara, February 10, 2016, 08:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: J on February 10, 2016, 09:49:04 PM
Def Betts for me - as good if not better shot stopper, particularly on long range efforts which we have conceded lots of lately. Also still improving and ironing out his weaknesses, so has potential to be a top keeper whereas Lonners has peaked. With a better organised defence Betts will look even better than before.

I'm glad we've got Andy, and we could do a lot worse for a competition / backup keeper but that's all I feel he should be out of the 2.
Im putting you in the ability over popularity camp ;)
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

J

Also for anyone unhappy with Lonergan don't forget that the alternative was Kiraly!!

Samsara

Quote from: J on February 10, 2016, 09:49:04 PM
Def Betts for me - as good if not better shot stopper, particularly on long range efforts which we have conceded lots of lately. Also still improving and ironing out his weaknesses, so has potential to be a top keeper whereas Lonners has peaked. With a better organised defence Betts will look even better than before.

I'm glad we've got Andy, and we could do a lot worse for a competition / backup keeper but that's all I feel he should be out of the 2.

I do agree that betts is better at stopping long shots but it's pretty clear (I think) that Lonners has the reactions to pull off very impressive saves from inside the box. Plus I think he's in his peak now and I think he's more useful than betts currently. I say play him for the rest of the season (and let betts get a few games under his belt as well). Then let Slav decide his #1 over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrahamG

Lonergan definitely but actually I don't think either are good enough.

fulhamben

Quote from: GrahamG on February 10, 2016, 10:46:39 PM
Lonergan definitely but actually I don't think either are good enough.
Im putting you in the hates everyone camp ;)

Mince n Tatties

Stekelenburg... :023:

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 10, 2016, 11:11:21 PM
Stekelenberg... :023:
would be a huge step up on them both. Will never happen though unfortunately

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on February 10, 2016, 11:12:46 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 10, 2016, 11:11:21 PM
Stekelenberg... :023:
would be a huge step up on them both. Will never happen though unfortunately

He is still our player..

westcliff white

Quote from: fulhamben on February 10, 2016, 09:25:20 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on February 10, 2016, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 10, 2016, 09:20:49 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on February 10, 2016, 09:16:12 PM
always a first for everything
not really, it's just some like to see the negative side of it. If you say fredericks should start then you are scapegoating jazz. If you want to persist with Dembele because him and Ross have banged in loads together then you are unfair on the one goal in sixteen Smith. Seems that of you want the best players to start as opposed to popular ones then you are negative. So be it I'm negative for wanting the best for Fulham. Surely better than continuing with this slide, no matter how much of a positive spin you put on it?
have to say that made me laugh more today than anything else has, thanks ben
No probs. Shall I put you in popular over ability camp?
Not at all, I would have played McCarty if we had signed him. My point is they are about as good as each other, and have different good and bad points. Last year we were in the mire as well and Betts was in goal This season similar and it is Lonners, although I suspect Betts would have been in there if he had not been injured, but the likelihood is we would still have been in a relegation struggle as we have not been able to to defend on the whole. The way you make it sound is Lonners is the reason we are down there.
Every day is a Fulham day

alfie

It is all about opinions and we all have them, really not worth an argument over as we really do not have any influence as to who will play.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

colinwhite

Unfortunately neither of them are good enough in my view . We need akeepr who is able to cope with crosses when they come into his box both at set plays and in open play . Bettinelli is young and has potential but at present still ,like Loners, is not comfortable at dominated his penalty box .

FPT

Andy Lonergan has no control over his penalty box which is a lot less than I expected from a big Northern bloke. Marcus Bettinelli at the very least is on a par in terms of shot stopping and is stronger with the ball at his feet.

Marcus is soon to be 24 which is still very young for a goalkeeper and there's time for that penalty box domination to come into his game.

I don't think we really weaken ourselves with either goalkeeper but I sit on the side of Bettinelli. Partially because he's also a Fulham boy that has come through the academy, but mostly because I think at the very least he's on par, but for me he just about edges it on shot stopping and passing.

MJG

I'm a big fan of Magnus Norman who I think will top notch when he breaks through.

terryr

Betts will have to earn his way back into the #1 spot. He only just came through and to be honest hasn't proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt. He has been off injured and may not be back this season. He will need to prove he is fully fit and continuing to develop.
Until then Lonergan will be #1 which given his heroics against Derby suits me fine.

David Allen Crankshaw

Chutney

Bettinelli was #1 before his injury, if he makes a full recovery he should be #1 again as he's the better of the two!
C O Y W