watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Painful reflection

Started by nose, February 11, 2016, 01:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

Looking at the league table and reflecting on how well Leicester are doing, and thinking about their amazing transfers recently. And also wondering why i cannot whip up the usual frenzy of anticipation for the coming game with QPR!

Whilst i like mr khan, and he seems to say the right things, since we had him we have witnessed an unmitigated disaster unfold.

Currently we have IMO at last found the right manager to take us forward but the stuff about stat based transfer policy and Kline left me staggered and totally exasperated. If that was the best that the current owner's management team think was a good idea then even with this manager we will struggle. Like a broken record I repeat I would prefer to see the entire board replaced I have no pleasure in saying this because it should have already happened. We need proper football people in place and not amateur staticians that do notknow what they are doing.

If we survive, joca needs to be given whatever it takes to turn us round, I still have almost no faith the board will allow that to happen.

Sorry

dannyboi-ffc

Put some makeup on if your reflection is that painful.......... is it the nose?

Sorry poor joke.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

MJG

Leicester City while being a great footballing story are not angels with regards finance and FFP.

Look deeper into their sponsorship and your see suspect ways of doing business. Some may say its smart and Khan should do the same. But then I suppose its down to how you want to play..within the rules...outside the rules...or cheat at all costs?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/06/leicester-city-football-league-financial-fair-play

nose

Quote from: MJG on February 11, 2016, 02:30:32 PM
Leicester City while being a great footballing story are not angels with regards finance and FFP.

Look deeper into their sponsorship and your see suspect ways of doing business. Some may say its smart and Khan should do the same. But then I suppose its down to how you want to play..within the rules...outside the rules...or cheat at all costs?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/06/leicester-city-football-league-financial-fair-play

I am sure they are in contravention if they are in contravention, and I suspect so are many other top sides. As the weeks go by the larger teams will try to use any methods they can to discredit leicester and try and get points deducted. recall that liverool and man utd got away scot free with their involvement with tevez and the other argentine. They were guilty as hell but got away with it.

But the fact remains they have upset the apple cart and we are languishing. Mr khan has overseen a disaster and not acted to correct the problems. I continue to be very uneasy.

nose

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on February 11, 2016, 01:55:27 PM
Put some makeup on if your reflection is that painful.......... is it the nose?

Sorry poor joke.

if only it were that easy....

terryr

Yikes after reading the article........it all sounds as kosher as pork rinds and bacon sarnies!

nose

Quote from: TerryR on February 11, 2016, 02:49:25 PM
Yikes after reading the article........it all sounds as kosher as pork rinds and bacon sarnies!

you can do the same anywhere, it is from 2015 and i do not know if it was resolved. The stakes are so high in football nowadays it seems certain most clubs are not completey straight. I can't prove that it just seems more likely than less.

MJG

Quote from: nose on February 11, 2016, 02:53:40 PM

you can do the same anywhere, it is from 2015 and i do not know if it was resolved. The stakes are so high in football nowadays it seems certain most clubs are not completey straight. I can't prove that it just seems more likely than less.
Its not been resolved as Leicester fans were still talking about it in December.

My feeling is that everything Football League FFP related is waiting on the QPR court case.

nose

Quote from: MJG on February 11, 2016, 02:56:58 PM
Quote from: nose on February 11, 2016, 02:53:40 PM

Its not been resolved as Leicester fans were still talking about it in December.

My feeling is that everything Football League FFP related is waiting on the QPR court case.

You could well be right, prescedent is everything in England. I am not as up to speed on the detail as you seem to be I speak from the general overview that i hate what football has become, i.e. vast amounts of money, it is genuinely spoiling the game.

Riversider

Blimey I really do need glasses I read the title of this thread as "Painful erection"
Ouch !

Twig

Quote from: nose on February 11, 2016, 01:48:43 PM
Looking at the league table and reflecting on how well Leicester are doing, and thinking about their amazing transfers recently. And also wondering why i cannot whip up the usual frenzy of anticipation for the coming game with QPR!

Whilst i like mr khan, and he seems to say the right things, since we had him we have witnessed an unmitigated disaster unfold.

Currently we have IMO at last found the right manager to take us forward but the stuff about stat based transfer policy and Kline left me staggered and totally exasperated. If that was the best that the current owner's management team think was a good idea then even with this manager we will struggle. Like a broken record I repeat I would prefer to see the entire board replaced I have no pleasure in saying this because it should have already happened. We need proper football people in place and not amateur staticians that do notknow what they are doing.

If we survive, joca needs to be given whatever it takes to turn us round, I still have almost no faith the board will allow that to happen.

Sorry

I share your sentiments Nose.  Khan has not said anything wrong (although I have not embraced him like that loveable rogue Al Fayed), but fact is he has presided over an unmitigated disaster.  The moneyball revelations filled me with dismay.  I hold on to my belief that Joka is the very best man we could have signed and will take us forward, provided that the numpties on our Board do not screw things up for him.

copthornemike

Sorry
Whilst you express dissatisfaction about stats based player recruitment I heard someone on Radio 5 the other day that Leicester initially identified Mahrez as a possible target from using stats then followed it up by actually watching him - an eminently sensible approach. So nothing wrong about using stats to identify potential targets - especially as players might be playing in other continents never mind countries - but like all these things it has its limits & disadvantages so clubs shouldn't rely on it completely.

nose

Quote from: copthornemike on February 11, 2016, 05:55:50 PM

Sorry
Whilst you express dissatisfaction about stats based player recruitment I heard someone on Radio 5 the other day that Leicester initially identified Mahrez as a possible target from using stats then followed it up by actually watching him - an eminently sensible approach. So nothing wrong about using stats to identify potential targets - especially as players might be playing in other continents never mind countries - but like all these things it has its limits & disadvantages so clubs shouldn't rely on it completely.

actually i heard something rather different. a different player had been identified by leicester (whether stat based or word of mout I do not know) and is now playing for a lower league club but when the lecester coaches/scouts saw the 'identified player' was not all that they actually noticed, with their eyes, in the flesh, marez as a better option. he was not the player they went to see, was my understanding, but once they saw him they identified his quality.
the stats I am bound to say, in identyfying targets are a complete nonsense as a primary source and even a secondary source, they are a minor tool to be used very sparingly.

MJG

Quote from: nose on February 11, 2016, 10:19:28 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on February 11, 2016, 05:55:50 PM

Sorry

actually i heard something rather different. a different player had been identified by leicester (whether stat based or word of mout I do not know) and is now playing for a lower league club but when the lecester coaches/scouts saw the 'identified player' was not all that they actually noticed, with their eyes, in the flesh, marez as a better option. he was not the player they went to see, was my understanding, but once they saw him they identified his quality.
the stats I am bound to say, in identyfying targets are a complete nonsense as a primary source and even a secondary source, they are a minor tool to be used very sparingly.
Make's me wonder how any striker is ever noticed then.

FPT

The story, I believe, with Mahrez and Leicester is.

- Leicester were after a winger with speed and skill.
- They flagged up three targets, I think two were in France and one in Germany (all second division).
- Mahrez shone of the three, and Leicester actually created their own statistical database in tracking Mahrez as they didn't have the statistics available for the French second division.
- Amongst the statistics highlighted that Mahrez was incredibly high in attempted "positive offensive moves" whilst also incredibly high in completing this attempts.
- They were also aware of his contractual situation (6 months left) and that his country, Morocco, were to compete in the World Cup in the summer so had the theory that his performance levels would be that bit higher in wanting to be part of the squad.
- After a mix of statistical logging and watching live, they decided to sign him. At a time also when they had a team, and particularly wingers, performing strongly so the pressure on him being an instant success was low. The same in a way can be said for Demarai Gray, with Albrighton and Mahrez doing some well, Gray can sort of just sneak into the squad, get settled and develop in a squad that's settled, on form and happy.

To use statistics as the sole reason for signing a player, to me, is bizarre but for FC Midtjylland (who run their entire club on a statistical basis) it's working. They won the Danish League for the first time and knocked Southampton out of the Europa League, finished second in their group behind Napoli, above Brugge and Legia Warsaw, and await a tie against Manchester United.

I think statistics, used and interpreted in the right way, can be a huge factor in player recruitment.

HatterDon

Quote from: FPT on February 11, 2016, 10:42:18 PM
The story, I believe, with Mahrez and Leicester is.

- Leicester were after a winger with speed and skill.
- They flagged up three targets, I think two were in France and one in Germany (all second division).
- Mahrez shone of the three, and Leicester actually created their own statistical database in tracking Mahrez as they didn't have the statistics available for the French second division.
- Amongst the statistics highlighted that Mahrez was incredibly high in attempted "positive offensive moves" whilst also incredibly high in completing this attempts.
- They were also aware of his contractual situation (6 months left) and that his country, Morocco, were to compete in the World Cup in the summer so had the theory that his performance levels would be that bit higher in wanting to be part of the squad.
- After a mix of statistical logging and watching live, they decided to sign him. At a time also when they had a team, and particularly wingers, performing strongly so the pressure on him being an instant success was low. The same in a way can be said for Demarai Gray, with Albrighton and Mahrez doing some well, Gray can sort of just sneak into the squad, get settled and develop in a squad that's settled, on form and happy.

To use statistics as the sole reason for signing a player, to me, is bizarre but for FC Midtjylland (who run their entire club on a statistical basis) it's working. They won the Danish League for the first time and knocked Southampton out of the Europa League, finished second in their group behind Napoli, above Brugge and Legia Warsaw, and await a tie against Manchester United.

I think statistics, used and interpreted in the right way, can be a huge factor in player recruitment.

Very thoughtful and reasoned. I've come to expect that from you. Thanks.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Reznor

I had a 2 hour chat with a guy on Saturday who travels all over Europe doing coaching schools( he holds all the UEFA coaching badges) and really knows his stuff. It was depressing listening to his opinions on the statistic systems Khan's son and probably now Rigg use to sign players. The long and short of the long conversation was that he thought we'd make very little progress under the ownership of someone like Khan. The proof is in the pudding I suppose as we sit in another relegation battle. It was an interesting 2 hours though. By all accounts Man City players are in for a hell of a shock when Guadiola takes charge! Lol.