watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Michael Madl

Started by Sheepskin Junior, February 13, 2016, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheepskin Junior

I was very impressed by Madl today. Thought he was very calm under pressure and dealt with everything that came his way
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Andyb

Agree - he's a no nonsense defender, if in doubt whack it out

Mince n Tatties

westcliff white

He did what a defender should do, seems a good signing.

I will say though it is just one game and we have seen a lot of players come in and start with a good game or two and then fade drastically. But I was very impressed and he looks a good signing.
Every day is a Fulham day

Bassey the warrior

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 13, 2016, 07:03:48 PM
Yes your right, and he and the colossus Dan Burn complimented each other along side Nando, in that back three, and when you think that it's the first match they have played together, in a volatile local derby. The signs look encouraging.
Hadn't really thought about that. Makes it even more impressive!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

@LouieJW2507

millsy

Yes, looked strong and composed. Good pro, with legs.

Don't know if anyone else noticed on one occasion he just lost out in a challenge but as the other guy looked to break away with the ball, Madl just leant on him to put him off balance. Nothing given but even if a free-kick had been given, would have been worth it. Other teams do this to us all game and I think this shows up in those stats today, showing us with the least number of fouls in the division.

Just another symptom of the new regime?

dannyboi-ffc

I thought he looked very good. To be honest I think Amorebieta is proving some fans wrong. They looked the most organised and solid defence we've had all season. 

What I will say though is I'm cautious to overhype Madl after 1 game. When Bodurov started off I thought he was premier league material and look how wrong that proved to be. 

But I really liked the fact all 3 were proper no nonsense defenders unlike Ream. And all 3 defend first before trying to be too cute even if that does mean whacking it high and wide. Far too often we have been bullied because we were too soft and the aggression, strength and height of the 3 today made a huge difference compared to the way we defended with Stearman and Ream.

Well done to the 3 of them!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Sheepskin Junior

That back 6 was top notch today. Garbutt and Fred going forwards too. Surprised the offal didn't have Madl as motm potential

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

@LouieJW2507

Ordar

He was excellent. Defensively, bar a couple of errors/sloppiness we looked miles better.

MJG

Did well and liked what I saw, BUT like Danny I had same feelings from watching Hutchinson and Bodurov early on. Time will tell.

And god forbid I mention stats had a say in him coming here.

colinwhite

He impressed me too. A good signing maybe not a world beater but just what we needed.

BestOfBrede

I was impressed too, and thought he won quite a few headers when peeps were concerned re his height for a centre half.
We are looking up at last imo

Northern Cottager

One of the best defenders at the club, looks to have settled very quickly.

FPT

I was going to reply to this but I can't be bothered and mentioned a lot of it on Twitter, will post tweets below:

I must say firstly, I thought he oozed class on a very impressive debut. If these performances keep up - the stats guys may have stumbled upon an excellent central defender. Lets see, Bodurov looked good to start off with...

Michael Madl done well. Fernando Amorebieta more controlled and calm. That three with Burn could develop nicely.

Of those to play 90 minutes at Loftus Road, Michael Madl passed most accurately with 83.9%. Madl's 6 interceptions was a game high. Only Dan Burn topped him for tackles too. Madl's 6 clearances was also only topped by partners Burn (10) and Amorebieta (7). One more, Madl's 4 aerials won was only topped by partners Burn (7) and Amorebieta (6). And on top of that - watching him he was terrific. I guess stats have no room in football :)

MJG

Quote from: Statto on February 14, 2016, 08:30:01 AM
Quote from: FPT on February 13, 2016, 11:41:50 PM
Only Dan Burn topped him for tackles too. Madl's 6 clearances was also only topped by partners Burn (10) and Amorebieta (7). One more, Madl's 4 aerials won was only topped by partners Burn (7) and Amorebieta (6).

Not disputing the general sentiment of the post (ie that he looks a good player) but not sure I'd interpret these stats positively. Basically of the three defenders, he won the least aerial duels, made the least clearances, and was average in terms of tackles.
Had this discussion on Cottage Talk during the week.  The hardest outfield position to look at using stats is defenders.
Are you a better defender if you make lots of tackles or not?
Under Roy we hardly tackled at all and was seen as the last thing to do. Hughes I doubt had high tackle stats.
Sometimes you see a tackle as a last ditch thing to do because someone's got behind you... You know the Richards type of tackle :-)

FPT

The stats comment was more for me, because the outrage towards the Craig Kline post made me laugh.

Though Statto (apt name), I think to retort your point, perhaps it highlights the 'sweeping' and cleaning up abilities of Madl alongside two bruisers in Burn and Amorebieta. That's where the blend of statistics and eyes mesh nicely.

Wimbledon_White

Stood next to Burn you really notice his (lack of) height.

Still, well impressed. Decent with the ball at his feet and seemingly an intelligent footballer who reads the game well. Or at least he does when marking Jamie Mackie anyway.

Need to mention Amorbieta though, he was fantastic again yesterday.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: MJG on February 14, 2016, 08:40:21 AM
Quote from: Statto on February 14, 2016, 08:30:01 AM
Quote from: FPT on February 13, 2016, 11:41:50 PM
Only Dan Burn topped him for tackles too. Madl's 6 clearances was also only topped by partners Burn (10) and Amorebieta (7). One more, Madl's 4 aerials won was only topped by partners Burn (7) and Amorebieta (6).

Not disputing the general sentiment of the post (ie that he looks a good player) but not sure I'd interpret these stats positively. Basically of the three defenders, he won the least aerial duels, made the least clearances, and was average in terms of tackles.
Had this discussion on Cottage Talk during the week.  The hardest outfield position to look at using stats is defenders.
Are you a better defender if you make lots of tackles or not?
Under Roy we hardly tackled at all and was seen as the last thing to do. Hughes I doubt had high tackle stats.
Sometimes you see a tackle as a last ditch thing to do because someone's got behind you... You know the Richards type of tackle :-)

Any excuse to have a dig at Richards!

;-)

f321ffc

Quote from: westcliff white on February 13, 2016, 06:42:29 PM
He did what a defender should do, seems a good signing.

I will say though it is just one game and we have seen a lot of players come in and start with a good game or two and then fade drastically. But I was very impressed and he looks a good signing.
:plus one: Looked good today but i remember Zat Knights debut away to Leicester i think many years ago, thought we had a world beater on our hands.  079.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional