watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A very interesting statistic quoted today

Started by davew, February 13, 2016, 09:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

We haven't lost 1 match to a bottom half side this season and we haven't won 1 match against a top half side either, what does that tell us?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

fulhamben

I pressume this is where teams are today as opposed to where they are at the the time we played them. I'm sure qpr were top half when we beat them at home. As were reading and maybe one other
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

davew

The stats as submitted by Sky were as the teams stood in the league prior to todays kick off, slightly surprising. On that basis no chance of getting involved in relegation or probably getting into the top 1/2 of the table.

fulhamben

Quote from: davew on February 13, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
The stats as submitted by Sky were as the teams stood in the league prior to todays kick off, slightly surprising. On that basis no chance of getting involved in relegation or probably getting into the top 1/2 of the table.
surprising but irrelevant, the teams we have beaten could still end up being top half before the season ends and then we could say we could only beat the top teams.  We have beaten the teams in the top half, it's not our fault if we ruined there season. So personally this ever changing stat isn't one to maul over let alone read anything into

davew

Quote from: fulhamben on February 13, 2016, 09:48:04 PM
Quote from: davew on February 13, 2016, 09:42:40 PM
surprising but irrelevant, the teams we have beaten could still end up being top half before the season ends and then we could say we could only beat the top teams.  We have beaten the teams in the top half, it's not our fault if we ruined there season. So personally this ever changing stat isn't one to maul over let alone read anything into
Maybe, but for once and I think you will agree, I was being positive!!! Probably won't last like the wine cellar stock, I hate a day when we win!

davew

What I do wonder though Ben is that prior to today was there any other club in the bottom half of the table who hadn't beaten a team in the top half and was there a team in the top half who hadn't lost to a team in the bottom half? Come on you statisticians, answers please in the morning. We can then do a scientific analysis and work out which position we should be in? It just made good reading though, no defeats to any of the teams in 13th place or below and as you say surprising!

fulhamben

Quote from: davew on February 13, 2016, 10:32:46 PM
What I do wonder though Ben is that prior to today was there any other club in the bottom half of the table who hadn't beaten a team in the top half and was there a team in the top half who hadn't lost to a team in the bottom half? Come on you statisticians, answers please in the morning. We can then do a scientific analysis and work out which position we should be in? It just made good reading though, no defeats to any of the teams in 13th place or below and as you say surprising!
do you want it as it stands now or where the teams were prior to victory/defeats

MJG

The stat is a good one and tells you a lot about the abilities of the team. But if course it should always be used with the words 'as it stands today' .... We have not beaten a team in the top half or lost to a team in the bottom half.

fulhamben

Right as the table stands right now, no other bottom half team has failed to beat a top half team. So it just us

fulhamben

Ok and every team in the top half has lost at least once to a bottom half team. I love ya Dave but no more questions tonight please I've gone all rainman

aaronmcguigan

Would mentality have anything to do with it? We've been struggling for 3 or 4 years now. Maybe everytime we see a top half team we know we won't win so don't play to the best of our ability.
That was drilled into the team by Magath who openly targeted winnable games and took 0 from the big games. His problem being that he took 0 from the winnable games

gezkc

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on February 14, 2016, 09:50:20 AM
Would mentality have anything to do with it? We've been struggling for 3 or 4 years now. Maybe everytime we see a top half team we know we won't win so don't play to the best of our ability.
That was drilled into the team by Magath who openly targeted winnable games and took 0 from the big games. His problem being that he took 0 from the winnable games

But, since we beat teams that were in the top half of the table at the time we played them, I don't think mentality has anything to do with it.
It's an interesting stat though, and one that as time goes on, will become more and more relevant - at the end of the season, it'll give a good indication of where we've finished!

fulhamben

Quote from: gezkc on February 14, 2016, 09:57:16 AM
Quote from: aaronmcguigan on February 14, 2016, 09:50:20 AM

But, since we beat teams that were in the top half of the table at the time we played them, I don't think mentality has anything to do with it.
It's an interesting stat though, and one that as time goes on, will become more and more relevant - at the end of the season, it'll give a good indication of where we've finished!
I should imagine that the league table will give us a far better indication of where we have finished ;)