News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Before the match what did you think about our midfield line up?

Started by davew, February 14, 2016, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Personally I was shocked, never really thought that playing Ohara and Parker would work, such lack of pace!! The commitment was there to be seen and admired but will it work against better teams than QPR? SJ was certainly very confident before the match or was it just bravado which could have easily backfired? Anyway it really doesn't matter, 3 badly needed points and I think will be the turning point in avoiding a serious relegation battle. Your views very welcome!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

millsy

Like you, didn't think we'd see Scott and Jamie play together again but I suppose we're not spoiled for choice still. Not sure they can both recover in time for Tuesday but with no LVC and Kaca next in line, who knows. Kaca and a cold night in Blackburn don't seem a happy pairing!

Maybe we'll get to see our new winger at some stage in the game? Or possibly Matilla or Ince step in, or possibly even young Luke starting in left midfield.

As you can tell, I don't have a clue what he'll do but I'm sure he'll be using his squad and hopefully will make good choices like he did Saturday.

davew

Let's hope so, I think it is a game that we are more than capable of winning, did I say that?

Southcoastffc

I always worry when O'Hara and Parker play together (lack of pace mainly) but QPR seemed to give us so much room in midfield that it didn't matter.  Fingers crossed hereonin but QPR really were woeful. Thankfully  049:gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Scrumpy

I have to admit to being less than impressed on hearing the team news. Chatting to other fans before the game, the general consensus was that Ince was unlucky not to be playing, and we were worried that Nando was playing left back in a 4-4-2. Also, as you say, 2 older players in midfield worried us.

As it turned out, the 3 at the back looked very balanced and the wing-back role definitely suits Garbet and Fredericks (who are not natural defenders). They pushed up so that we effectively over-ran midfield which helped Scotty and Jamie. It all worked perfectly on the day, and fair play to SJ for working that one out.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

ffc73

I am not a fan of either and would not play them together

So what do I know because it worked like a dream yesterday

Maybe it was a dream because it's so long since I've seen that level of commitment from our players.  I actually made Parker my MotM but that was probably more to do with thinking he should not have started in the first place and then he plays a blinder

However. Next season one or both of them will not be starters so I hope Joka tried others in the roles they performed so well at QPR. Starting with Ince for Parker on Tuesday at Blackburn because I do not think Parker can play with that intensity again so spins

Unfortunate for LVC but I also thought his early injury brought on Garbutt who is a more natural wing back.  Sometimes those unexpected changes work in your favour

St. Andrews White

I thought the same, unimpressed by O'Hara last match and didn't think he could play alongside Parker!

But both were excellent, Parker especially but O'Hara also looked back to early season form.

I think O'Hara will start but not Parker, with Ince alongside.
O'Hara will tire to be taken off for Hyndman later on.
The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

tommy

They dont have much pace but Fredericks and Christensen/Garbutt do. Cairney is also no slouch. We had enough pace to not worry about Parker and O'Hara being fast. What they lack in pace they made up for in shear determination. I was well proud of the boys on saturday.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I think that the reason QPR were so bad is that we made them look bad by our 'up tempo' performance.
We didn't really give them the chance to get settled.
I think we took them (and most of us) by surprise and by the time they realized what was happening
it was 3-0.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

tommy

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 15, 2016, 07:04:48 AM
I thought to myself, that midfield is good enough to orchestrate a 3 1 victory, by out passing and outplaying the opposition.
bloody genius

nose

Honestly i have felt for ages that 3 5 2 was the way to go and in that formation parker and o hara could work but perhaps not my preference. However if we play 4 4 2 i would never pair them together.

Ideally i think o hara and tunny go together (either formation) and that i think will be re-established when tunny recovers.

SuffolkWhite

Parker's tempo pushed the rest of the team I felt, every time we had a free kick he wanted to take it quickly. He showed real commitment.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

twang

I honestly think that O'Hara's performance was key to make our team tick. Instead of being the same stationary midfielder we've seen this season he was full of running, even when he very clearly tired towards the end. When you play with one sitting midfielder in a midfield three it's so vital that the other two are getting up and down the pitch, especially making forward runs when we have a striker that likes to drop down.

If Jamie can play like that every week then 3-5-2 is the way to go.

davew

The 3 of them played a blinder, personally I would like to see them play again tomorrow which I think would secure another 3 points, but maybe not our best selection against better quality teams.

H4usuallysitting

I think also the teams fitness levels have been upped plus throw in a bit of speed on each wing and whallop we looked liked a team that had determination and bite

filham

Parker and O'Hara in the same midfield must have been a surprise to us all but with Cairney in the centre as well our midfield ticked over like a well oiled precision machine.

Jocanovic's team selections are always a surprise and seem to change from week to week. We could well see an entirely different midfield tonight.