watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The state of some of our "fans" on Twitter

Started by Brawn, February 17, 2016, 03:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawn

Without naming any names, including my own, I'm going to go into full ranting mode here.

There once was a time when Fulham fans were the "nice" guys, didn't cause crowd trouble, weren't a pain in the arse away from home abusing everyone else, and certainly didn't give our own fans a hard time.

But since our relegation, and with our away support having fallen away by the wayside, there now seems to be a mentality amongst people that you can only be a "true" Fulham fan if you do all of the following:

- Go to every game, home and away, without fail, weddings and births included.
- Actively hate and abuse Dan Burn.
- Actively hate and abuse any "fans" who don't do one or both of the above.
- Think Felix Magath was a good manager in the Premier League.
- Hate Kit Symons and nullify all good memories of him as a player.
- Stand up for the full 90 minutes at away games and don't stop chanting.
- Be in the Hammersmith End and despise the neutral/mixed zone.
- Perform a stupid gimmick whenever we're winning (taking shoes off appears to be the latest one).
- Be on Twitter.
- Stick slightly offensive stickers on trains, buses, and stadia of opposition (such as one I saw in the toilets at Loftus Road).
- Accuse anyone who likes a player of having a sexual relationship with them.

And so on and so on...

I noticed one person tonight who quoted Morris Minor and the Majors but this went over everyone's heads. This person was lucky enough to have been on Countdown last year according to his bio, and some of our fans starting abusing him over it. It's totally disrespectful of our fans when we turn on one another.

Last year, we had more arrests than Millwall, and if that doesn't highlight how bad our "fans" have got, then I'm at a crossroads. I'm not fit enough to stand up for 90 minutes at away games, and got abuse hurled at me at Loftus Road when I sat down for a couple of minutes. Then our fans decided to block the corridor at half time, and I genuinely feared for my life in a Hillsborough-type situation - I am not kidding you here - as I desperately needed the loo and couldn't move as I was surrounded by yobbos jumping up and down.

It's ridiculous. And I won't be attending any away games for a while after that.

HatterDon

QuoteLast year, we had more arrests than Millwall

Wow! That's just flat scary
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Arthur

Quote from: HatterDon on February 17, 2016, 04:02:50 AM
QuoteLast year, we had more arrests than Millwall

Wow! That's just flat scary

Not really.

Putting aside, for a moment, the issue of whether our support has become more rowdy, the number of arrests at C.C. was still so few as to go unnoticed by the vast majority of supporters.

Last season, we had the joint-fifth highest number of arrests at home matches among all clubs. Upon first hearing, this sounds appalling. Visions, however, of witnessing serious crowd disorder would be misplaced. The total numbered 28; in other words, around one-per-match. Without adopting an air of complacency, I very much doubt that anybody is going to fear for their safety on the strength of that statistic.

Moreover, even though Millwall had only 6 arrests at the New Den and the atmosphere is far more friendly than at the 'old' Den, if the O.P. is trying to imply that our fans are now more rowdy than theirs or that to attend a game there is a less intimidating, more wholesome experience than at C.C., I would suggest that this is not so.

..FOF..

...or Millwall fans have perfected the art of not getting caught easily?

dannyboi-ffc

Have to agree with the op. The club has changed and I think a lot of younger fans coming through are too immature to get what Fulham means to older generations. My wife went to Reading away last season with my sister because I couldn't make it and she told me for the first time she actually felt quite intimidated and uncomfortable being around some of our fans. I say some because it was a group of cocky teenagers/early 20s who were abusive and mouthy. They started on an old woman (also a fulham fan not that it matters) Which is not how I want my club to behave.

I found it hard to believe and thought she was exaggerating but I've seen it for myself. The arrests doesn't really bother me because as Arthur said 1 arrest per game average isn't anything to worry about.  But the overall attitude of our supporters has definitely changed and some seem so driven by success and premier league football that they will turn on anyone who isn't and the Fulham way is being lost as a result. It is still a small number and social media imo doesn't represent the majority of our supporters most of which are still good people. But that small number seems to be growing every season, I just hope when my kids are older they know the Fulham I was introduced too back in the early 90's.  Can't say I'm too optimistic to be honest.

It's hard to accept but Fulham aren't so special anymore. It always will be in my heart but we aren't as friendly or as innocent as we once we're. But don't stop going Brawn, you shouldn't have to miss out because others ruin the enjoyment. You are more part of our club than someone who goes every single game if they conduct themselves in that manner. Don't give up!

For the record I don't use twitter and I never will. And Brawn I think the majority of our fans do get Fulham, the idiots are still a minority
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

RaySmith

There is that element, but there always has been in my experience- well they used to be a lot worse back in the day, but then football was far more violent generally. Though if you were Fulham fan they would always be friendly to you, and now this isn't always the case.

But most of our fans are fine when you talk to them, and a credit to our club.

It's always been the 'yobboes' who make the most  noise supporting the team home and away also.

About the arrests - the numbers seem insignificant, especially when you think that most of the arrest are for minor infringements, like having too much to drink, or not obeying a  steward.

Mince n Tatties

I like a bit of aggro,too old now.
I remember back In the eighties I ran after a Bristol Rovers
fan and told him that My Daddy says his Daddy is a Moo Moo.
And then I threw a Marshmallow at him and ran.Coyw

Berserker

Last time I went to QPR I found a squash situation out the back. I don't think there is enough room around the concession stands for people to queue and people to just get past the queues.
Luckily this time the block I was in was near the Ladies, no food/drink so at half time I could go to the loo and back again
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

RaySmith

As for Twitter - are our fans any different from others? Look at this forum, all the sometimes vicious abuse directed at Fulham management.

Obviously, this is new thing, in the past there wasn't anywhere for the average fan to vent his rage at the club, apart from to a few mates in the pub.

I was shot down for saying how Beddie Jezzard never seemed to receive any criticism, despite the club doing so poorly, after  doing so well as player and manager, mostly fighting relegation from the top division after helping get us there , when he was manager.

But my point was - that today he would have been subject to fan abuse, and would have got the sack after one season of bad results, and his achievements with the club to which he was a loyal servant, and is now justifiably iconic, would have counted for nothing.  Shows how the game has changed.

I also think attitudes on social media reflect social changes - people are far more aggressive and abusive generally than the used to be. But the anonymity of social media enables 'keyboard warriors' -people who probably wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life.

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MJG

I hate top say it but its a fact that 'fulham' have had about 60-80 'fans' join them from other clubs. They have been baned or find it too hard to get tickets so have come to Fulham looking for whatever they are looking for.
It has given us a bad reputation at grounds. This information comes from club and police.

As for twitter, I have to agree it just reflects a less tolerant society we have become. But I read just as much hateful posts on here, difference is that we have mods and a lot of stuff gets taken off before it gets too bad.

Kent Cassandra

Like everyone else on here I don't want to see any aggro at any football matches.  Unfortunately when thousands of human beings are together in a bunch there is always a significant minority of what some on here have called 'Yobbo's'.
For some reason bad behaviour by a few can become infectious and I am afraid the vast majority of supporters who are well behaved have to take some responsibility. I don't mean we have to fight them but looking the other way is not the answer.   I think MJG is probably right, in the past 'Yobbos' got kudos from going to other London clubs which I won't name but had that sort of 'tough reputation.  Fulham are an easy target for those that have been banned.
I have taken my wife, my two daughters and my grandchildren to see matches in the Johnny Haynes stand and they have all been impressed by the friendly atmosphere there.  Is it a coincidence that  a significant number of supporters there are women?  There has often been critical  barbs on here about us in the JH stand not shouting and chanting... well you can't have it both ways.  I personally am quite vociferous at matches but not in an angry way, just to support my team even when they have a bad day. My experience goes back to the fifties when there was no segregation and fans had the freedom to stand wherever they wanted too. There was the odd fight between two individuals which was quickly broken up by the people nearby. Can someone more intelligent than me explain why mind-sets have changed so much over the years?
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Twig

Quote from: MJG on February 17, 2016, 09:45:48 AM
I hate top say it but its a fact that 'fulham' have had about 60-80 'fans' join them from other clubs. They have been baned or find it too hard to get tickets so have come to Fulham looking for whatever they are looking for.
It has given us a bad reputation at grounds. This information comes from club and police.

As for twitter, I have to agree it just reflects a less tolerant society we have become. But I read just as much hateful posts on here, difference is that we have mods and a lot of stuff gets taken off before it gets too bad.

Those 60-80 are a disgrace and should be made unwelcome at our club. If they are subjected to banning orders by their previous clubs could we not ban them too?

copthornemike

Quote from: Twig on February 17, 2016, 11:54:03 AM
Quote from: MJG on February 17, 2016, 09:45:48 AM

Those 60-80 are a disgrace and should be made unwelcome at our club. If they are subjected to banning orders by their previous clubs could we not ban them too?
Agree wholeheartedly - and I am sure the vast majority of others on this forum will agree. Something to be brought up with the next meeting with the club.
However personally I still find Fulham and the fans to be a friendly bunch. So let us support anything that can be done to 'remove the 60 -80' but let's not 'throw the baby out with the bath water' either.

Lighthouse

Twitter is used my many players as well and Garbutt has even apologised for his poor performance.

But there is a link between bad behaviour and instant comment. We all can voice our opinion but some of us have yet to learn that that means listening to opposite viewpoints as well. What happens is that people start hurling abuse at teams, fellow fans, Governments, that bloke who lives in that hole and picks his nose. We have all become instant targets as well. So in the real World some still feel they can act out any stupidity without being caught. It doesn't work that way.

But compared to the days of the Fulham Firm etc. The arrests are nothing to be overly concerned about.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Barry White

I think we're making a bigger problem out of this than there is, if you don't like what people are saying on Twitter then don't read it. 99% of people on twitter are talking complete s*it, whether it's fulham related or anything else!

As for the youth element, we can't survive without young fans and when I compare our so called yobs to other clubs ours are miles better behaved. Look at that muppet at QPR that had to get dragged out for example.

Some people will always go overboard but that is all it is, literally a couple of people. Nothing to worry about long term.

Craven Bothy

As a 'new' Fulham fan who moved to London 6 years ago I can say that the atmosphere at CC and the attitude of Fulham fans has been spot on since I first came to CC.

When I moved to SW London 6 years back I was groomed, for lack of a better word, by some Fulham supporting work colleagues into going to the odd game which increased year on year until taking the plunge and buying a season ticket. No other friends who supported other London clubs extended the same offer to me as an outsider. I think it says something about Fulham fans.

Proud to say that despite relegation I am still a season ticket holder.

I haven't had any problems, despite clearly not being from the area (accent is a give away). Conversely when I have returned the favour and taken friends from down here to see my hometown team back north of Hadrian's Wall they have been made less than welcome due to their accents. Whereas I have been able to chat everything Fulham to much more established fans in pubs pre-match as an equal.

Every team has its numpty element but as an outsider who has been welcomed in I can proudly say that ours is less prevalent. COYW.

Burt

The thing I find about twitter and other social media platforms is not just the instant knee-jerk nature of most posts, but also how quickly it turns in to vitriol.

My view is that if you were having a discussion with the person face-to-face, then you would not be hurling abuse at them and not expecting to have any come-back.

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior. But in "real life" would you really behave that way? Shame on you if you do...

RaySmith

Good post Craven.

I was listening to a very upset Chelsea fan yesterday on 5LIve, commenting on the  racist incident that happened in Paris a year ago, with Chelsea fans not letting a black man on a tube train, and abusing him.

The fan was  phoning in response to an interview with the abused French black man, in which he said that Chelsea hadn't contacted him or made any apology or reparation for the incident. The fan went onto say that you don't hear racism in the  grounds these days because people know they will get into trouble, but these attitudes are still very prevalent amongst Chelsea fans and fans generally..

He said that there are pubs near the ground  where Chelsea fans regularly sing racist songs before games. Well, I'm sure that a few Fulham fans might have racist views but there has  never been any organised racist abuse or violence at Fulham, whereas Chelsea have a reputation for it going back years, and for hooliganism generally - unlike Fulham, who have a justified reputation for being generally friendly and well behaved.

Whitesideup

I agree with Ray .. good post Craven.

I don't go to a lot of away games, but have never seen trouble. I sit in the Hammersmith, about half way up... all good-natured stuff. We sometimes offer our appraisal of the ref's decisions directly to him, in the manner of loud but essentially constructive criticism,  but that's about as far as it goes.

I think most clubs have a good impression of us. When a short bout of handbags broke out in the Durrell Arms when Villa were visiting (sorted within seconds by the landlady) I heard Villa fans next to us say, "Don't be so ridiculous. This is Fulham for god's sake" .. which I took as a positive.