watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Another overhaul required?

Started by Wimbledon_White, February 17, 2016, 11:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wimbledon_White

I think it is fair to say that Jokanovic deserves the chance to build a squad, after all Magath and Kit both got that opportunity so why shouldn't Jokanovic?

So with that in mind, who do we keep and who do we release?

For me it boils down to a small handful:

Lonergan (as back up)
Madl
Amorebieta
Cairney
Tunnicliffe
LVC (if he can stay fit)
Hyndman (if we can)
McCormack
Dembele (if we can)
Smith (useful squad addition surely?!)

The jury is still out on:
Parker (still capable of a game a week and probably an excellent role model for the youth to have around; is he worth a 'pay as you play' deal next season?)
Matilla
Ince
Woodrow
Williams (Young and missed his chance this season through injury)
Labyad

The "they've had their chance and realistically I want a better option" group would include:
Kaca
Burn
Richards
Fredericks (quick but poo)
Ream (tho perhaps a useful utility man)
Stearman (let's be frank, he has been poor)

So basically if the club take a view along these sorts of lines, and I am not suggesting they would or indeed should, we need a LOT of new players this summer.

Thoughts?  I am prob being harsh on Burn tbh.

J.Perkins

I don't think we need another overhaul. I believe he have a lot of players, who granted, shouldn't be starting every week, but are capable back up. Bring in a quality CB, full back, defensive mid, winger and striker, and we have a good squad.

Lighthouse

Ironically compared to what Symons was faced with after Felix. The squad is in a much better place. Certainly unbalanced but that can be helped. I think now the real worry is keeping the decent players we do have. Although it may be fair to say after last night we haven't many as commented upon.

We still need a decent centre half and a wide player and a midfield that is not ageing and slow. Plus players to replace those that are going.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

God no.

I am suffering from overhaul-fatigue.

Lets just give Jovanovic the time to get it sorted.

I think it is fair to say that:
1. We have a better squad now than last season.
2. Our performance trend under Jovanovic have been getting progressively better. Note the word trend... There will always be setbacks along the way. Last night being a perfect example.

MJG

Im not sure unbalanced is the right wording for the issues we have in the squad. More that we have gaps or types of players missing, not that its too heavy in one area.

If everyone is fit we have

Lots of GK's
3 right backs
At least 4 who can play Left back
perm any 2/3 from 6 centre backs
2 or now 3 DCM
Handful of CM's
4 strikers

The one area/type missing are out and out wingers, could do with a right and left sided one.

Horsfield_No9

I personally thought it was good he didn't have this window to bring in more new players. Some of these players were excellent for their previous clubs but need good coaching. Here's hoping Slav can start to get the best out of them rather than buying even more in. I mean, how does Stearman go from being one of the best in the division to so poor? It doesn't add up.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

FPT

I don't think I can be as brutal to describe it as an overhaul, but I do think we need investment to make us a truly quality outfit and we need to invest strategically and build a team at the same time. I know being flexible tactically is important, but I also think we need to reach a point of building a side that can win matches, play well and get the best out of key players already here. Jokanovic has claimed before that he wants his sides to play like Barcelona which would suggests he'd most favour a 433, but a strike partnership would bring the best out of our most dangerous goal scorer Ross McCormack and also in my opinion, a three man midfield brings the best out of Tom Cairney as a central player and you pair those two things together and you come to a 352.

Back to the point, I think the majority of our squad is fine.

Goalkeepers: Marcus Bettinelli and Andy Lonergan is ok for a goalkeeper one-two next season. It'll be interesting to see whether we follow up on a move for Alex McCarthy in the summer with Bettinelli returning to fitness.

Right backs: Ashley Richards and Ryan Fredericks aren't a great pairing if I'm honest. Fredericks appears to be nothing but pace and Richards isn't that great a defender. I'd personally give Jack Grimmer a go at right back next season competing with Ryan Fredericks. As for Richards, he's claimed before he sees himself as a midfielder rather than right back so I don't know whether he could be a bit of a Chris Baird to cover right back, left back and defensive midfield. I think one of Richards' strongest attributes is comfort on the ball so maybe he could sit at the base here and there to keep the ball ticking and fill in when needed.

Centre backs: I think you're harsh on Dan Burn, he deserves a new contract and his recent individual performances have been up there with the best individual displays we've seen in a long time. He's a Championship quality centre back and at not even 24 years of age he'll get better. Tim Ream is just bizarre, he has a strange build, lacks athletic ability and perhaps the technical comfort to play in any of the three positions he can play in (left back, centre back, defensive midfield). He's quite soft, if a decent offer comes in, I'd be open to selling. Fernando Amorebieta will be in the last year of his contract so he may as well stick around; he's shown himself to be a decent centre back option since coming back. That leaves us with Hutchinson and Stearman - Hutchinson would be released for me with his contract expiring; Stearman eh, he's been a disappointing signing because he's been better than he's shown. I don't think I'd actively look to sell but maybe pop it out there a bit that he may be available. If we can potentially profit on our investment, I'd sell. If not? Useful squad player if he doesn't make his way back into the side.

Oh and I've ignored Madl because I can't hold an opinion on him yet.

Left backs: We need one, and we need one permanently. We've not had one since John Arne Riise after Kostas Stafylidis, James Husband and Luke Garbutt have all been here on loan. The obvious move is perhaps James Husband though I don't know how good the relations are with Middlesbrough after the McCormack 'fiasco' and then Amorebieta returning (for reasons we don't know yet - or I've missed something). I think we only need one permanently, with potential back ups in Ashley Richards, Tim Ream/Fernando Amorebieta.

Out wide: We're desperate for one really. It's interesting to me that Slavisa has used Alex Kacaniklic almost exclusively on the right hand side rather than the left but I would really like to see us sign some dangerous wide players that can score and create. Last year saw Nathan Redmond, Michail Antonio and Matt Ritchie spark for their respective sides and all are now Premier League players. Getting goals from positions that aren't just your strikers is really quite important; Watford were fortunate to have three strikers score nearly 60 goals but still had others chipping in. Bournemouth had a number of different players scoring goals also. So I think adding danger in wide positions will make us a stronger outfit. I'd keep George Williams in and around the squad; I'm half tempted by Alex Kacaniklic but would sell Ben Pringle.

Central midfield: Pay as you play is a decent idea for Scott Parker, my initial thought would be player-coach, if he worked under Peter Grant, he can sink his teeth into and still have time to train and play with the first team. Tom Cairney, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Lasse Vigen Christensen are three good talents, Cairney at 25 should really be looking to kick on next season and become one of those that we can rely on to chip in more with goals and assists, he's currently on 4 goals and 5 assists but I can't help but feel he can hit double figures for both. I'm looking forward to seeing how Ryan Tunnicliffe develops under Slavisa Jokanovic, his injury was really bad timing but I think he's got the raw materials that Jokanovic likes. Christensen, for me, is our most underrated talent. In a roaming role in midfield where he can release the shackles and get forward, this lad can be a star – his poise, his touch, his control, his dribbling, his quick passing ability, his eye for a goal and creative tendencies is all very good. It's good that he had got himself back into the team, if at left midfield, and it's a shame his hamstring injury seems to have returned – but on form and on song, I'd go as far to say he's unplayable.

Jamie O'Hara has waned since his first few months but I think he's done enough to earn a contract – which Parker possibly leaving two experienced players in the middle of the park will likely hurt us, too. I'd probably have him taking the Parker role of in and out of the team when needed, but I would like to see us bring a better, more athletic player in that role. Emerson Hyndman is probably leaving us on a free.

Up top: Like Emerson Hyndman, I've accepted that the chance of Moussa Dembele staying at the football club is slim which is a shame as another season or two of Ross McCormack and Dembele could see both score unbelievable numbers and see Dembele grow to be truly ready for that step up to the Premier (which hopefully by then would be with us). Anyway, the chances are we're looking for another Ross McCormack partner. I'd sell Matt Smith too – we don't need him, could probably get a million pounds or two which is useful.

Wow, I know I went on for a long time so here's a short round of my squad ripped to the core (then you can read up on the section if you disagree with anything if you don't feel like reading it all).

Goalkeepers: Marcus Bettinelli, Andy Lonergan, and Jesse Joronen.

Right backs: Jack Grimmer, Ryan Fredericks.

Centre backs: Dan Burn, Fernando Amorebieta and maybe Richard Stearman.

Left backs: We have none.

Wide players: George Williams and maybe Alex Kacaniklic.

Central midfielders: Tom Cairney, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Jamie O'Hara, and Sakari Mattila.

Strikers: Ross McCormack, Cauley Woodrow.

Potential squad players: Ashley Richards, Richard Stearman (depending on potential offers for him) and Tim Ream (see Stearman).

So yeah it's somewhat of an overhaul but there's a decent core there to work with. We wait to see how Michael Madl will do over a course of time, and I believe we have the option of another season long loan on Zakaria Labyad's deal so that could be two players staying on right there. I'd rather keep Moussa Dembele than lose him but trying to be realistic at the same time.

If you take into account that we may finally sell Kostas Mitroglou and Maarten Stekelenburg, remove Scott Parker's wages and the financial fair play restrictions increasing from £6m to £13m; there should be a good few quid knocking around to improve the squad and I think it's quality over quantity this summer also (a 20 goal a season striker, two wingers that can contribute to circa 15 goals each, a proper defensive midfielder – maybe Ince – a quality central defender and a starting left back – potentially James Husband).

MJG

I'd have Jordan Evans as reserve Left Back. Sell Kavangah and look to get Husband in.

FPT

Quote from: MJG on February 17, 2016, 02:36:45 PM
I'd have Jordan Evans as reserve Left Back. Sell Kavangah and look to get Husband in.

Yeah I'm sure we'll get into this more tomorrow - but I'm certain Evans training with our first team is better than sitting on the bench at Oxford; or in last nights case, not in the 18 at all.

FulhamStu

We still need A strong right sided MF player with pace.  A permanent defensive MF player, much better than Mattilla.  We will need 2 strikers.   So not an overhaul and most importantly we need Jokanovic to work out our best starting team, even if that means sometimes 442 532 4231 or whatever other formations he wants.  At the moment he is giving players a chance like Mattilla last night, a chance to fail or a chance to impress.

Whitesideup

It is a broad question in a way. I certainly agree with

Lonergan as back-up .. brilliant shot stopper, but does he command 6 yard box well enough?
Amorebieta - although splits opinions, I think he is a good centre-half
Cairney - provide creativity we much need.
Hyndman - outstanding prospect in my eyes
Smith - always offers us a different option

But there are loads I am not really sure about, and more questions arise. Sometimes I think our defence is poor, but then I wonder to what extent this is because our midfield does not occupy the space as it should, or offer the support they could. O'Hara? Probably. Dan Burn ???? Much needed in the air, but prone to the ball in behind him. Ream - comfortable on the ball, but does he cover the space at the back well enough? Steerman - how come he was so good at Wolves if he is not good enough for us? Fredericks or Richards .. both have good moments .. consistent enough? Garbutt ... gone anyway, but was improving until Tuesday.

And for me the big, big question - McCormack and Dembele  --- both natural goalscorers, McCormack probably the most important player to the team, but why do I get the impression we carry very little threat in the final third in quite a lot of our games?

res

It doesn't look as if Jordan Evans is cutting it at Oxford so I think he's one of those "good footballers but not physically or mentally" up to first team strength

MJG

Quote from: res on February 17, 2016, 04:47:25 PM

It doesn't look as if Jordan Evans is cutting it at Oxford so I think he's one of those "good footballers but not physically or mentally" up to first team strength
he's doing ok,  playing mainly in cup games and sub a lot. He was always going to be second choice to their left back,  but looks like he's making a Wembley final out of his loan spell.

H4usuallysitting

The good thing (if we stay up) is Joka will know where we need strengthening, so we can (next season) have at the very least a consistent team playing week in week out....consistency and organisation is the key

hovewhite

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on February 17, 2016, 11:44:59 AM
I think it is fair to say that Jokanovic deserves the chance to build a squad, after all Magath and Kit both got that opportunity so why shouldn't Jokanovic?

Lonergan (as back up)
Madl
Amorebieta
Cairney
Tunnicliffe
LVC (if he can stay fit)
Hyndman (if we can)
McCormack
Dembele (if we can)

Parker (still capable of a game a week and probably an excellent role model for the youth to have around; is he worth a 'pay as you play' deal next season?)
Matilla
Ince
Woodrow
Labyad

The "they've had their chance and realistically I want a better option" group would include:
Kaca
Burn
Richards

So basically if the club take a view along these sorts of lines, and I am not suggesting they would or indeed should, we need a LOT of new players this summer.

Thoughts?  I am prob being harsh on Burn tbh.

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on February 17, 2016, 11:44:59 AM

Lonergan (as back up)
Madl
Amorebieta
Cairney
Tunnicliffe
LVC (if he can stay fit)
Hyndman (if we can)
McCormack
Dembele (if we can)

Matilla
Ince
Woodrow
Labyad

Kaca
Burn
Richards

Thoughts?  I am prob being harsh on Burn.
also to stay burn,parker and Williams also think mousa and possibly Hyndman will go,but agree 100% overall!

simplyfulham

Quote from: FPT on February 17, 2016, 03:35:42 PM

Yeah I'm sure we'll get into this more tomorrow - but I'm certain Evans training with our first team is better than sitting on the bench at Oxford; or in last nights case, not in the 18 at all.

FPT how do you feel some of the players out on loan and in the 18's could fit into any potential squad next season?

Williams seems obvious, he's looked good in the minutes he's got and he's shown that he can be capable of it a a higher level with the Wales squad so he's a shoe in for an aggressively offensive wide player.

How about Plumain. He's a quick wide player who's shown a tendency for scoring in the 21's side. Also the mysterious Larnell Cole. He had a decent run for the shrews earlier in the season.

Then there's De La Torre and Kait as well.

And what place if any do you see in the side for Arthurworrey and Burgess?

MJG

Quote from: simplyfulham on February 17, 2016, 08:47:37 PM

FPT how do you feel some of the players out on loan and in the 18's could fit into any potential squad next season?

Williams seems obvious, he's looked good in the minutes he's got and he's shown that he can be capable of it a a higher level with the Wales squad so he's a shoe in for an aggressively offensive wide player.

How about Plumain. He's a quick wide player who's shown a tendency for scoring in the 21's side. Also the mysterious Larnell Cole. He had a decent run for the shrews earlier in the season.

As a little bit of a heads up I'm doing Cottage talk tomorrow and so is FPT. The subject of the show is exactly what you are asking here. We will be talking about players in the squad who have been on loan and in the 21/18 teams. Any future stars etc. Hopefully some of you will give it a listen.

FulhamStu

I can tell you that you can forget Larnel Cole.  He is exactly what we don't need.  Lightweight, lazy and not direct enough.  He has ability for sure but not a great attitude.  I have seen him plenty of times for Shrewsbury.

RaySmith

I don't think the answer is  exchanging one player for another in certain positions, unless you can get another Parker, or clone Ross -our squad is of  decent Championship standard, even above in some cases, but it is a matter of getting  the right balance as a TEAM, and building confidence with a few wins on the trot.

SJ has all the credentials on paper anyway , and he is young and dynamic- but we have thought the  Saviour had arrived before, but it was another  false dawn.

But it's still early days - let's give the man a chance to show what he can do.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: MJG on February 17, 2016, 09:42:56 PM
Quote from: simplyfulham on February 17, 2016, 08:47:37 PM

As a little bit of a heads up I'm doing Cottage talk tomorrow and so is FPT.

Finally some fresh blood! Long overdue...all the best FPT.