Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 09:26:10 AM
Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2016, 09:24:35 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 09:23:24 AM
Quote from: WhiteNorfolk on February 19, 2016, 09:20:38 AM
Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2016, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 09:16:25 AM
Oh yes and I've said it a thousand times. 352 is a crap formation with the players that we have. It managed to beat a poor city and qpr team.
Have to disagree, the basis of it is we need to get Cairney in the game, so need at least 3 in central areas and full back is our weakest position so better to have 3 CB's to help that.
We have no natural width really so feel 352/532 plays to our strengths.  Its not as if 442 has been either good or bad for us for most of the season is it?

+1
And yet we have managed a mere 6 points with this formation. Do you really want to gamble our championship status on that formation?
Won 2 lost 2 with it
your not including games when we have abandoned the formation then
Well we didnt really start with it at QPR did we? So thats balanced out by changing it at Burnley

Chutney

4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Fredericks Burn Amorebieta Garbutt

Parker Ohara

Kacaniklic   Cairney    Labyad

McCormack

Best of both worlds? Cairney in the middle, Pace on the wings, Parker shielding the defence and Ohara box to box.
C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Chutney on February 19, 2016, 09:32:15 AM
4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Parker Ohara

McCormack

Best of both worlds? Cairney in the middle, Pace on the wings, Parker shielding the defence and Ohara box to box.
Im struggling to start Garbutt after Tuesday. I know there is an argument to start him to get the game out of his system, but it was shocking. Should you reward abject failure with another start so soon?

TheBadger

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2016, 09:35:41 AM
4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Parker Ohara

McCormack

Im struggling to start Garbutt after Tuesday. I know there is an argument to start him to get the game out of his system, but it was shocking. Should you reward abject failure with another start so soon?

Without wanting to cause offence, what do you know of / what have you seen of Labyad to throw him into the mix? I am yet to speak with anyone or read anything of note regarding him. Appreciate he was given a few minutes the other night but given the result and overall performance of the team, assume there was nothing to note of him just yet...
"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning." - Pele

MJG

Quote from: WhiteNorfolk on February 19, 2016, 09:42:21 AM
4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Parker Ohara

McCormack

Without wanting to cause offence, what do you know of / what have you seen of Labyad to throw him into the mix? I am yet to speak with anyone or read anything of note regarding him. Appreciate he was given a few minutes the other night but given the result and overall performance of the team, assume there was nothing to note of him just yet...
Ive not mentioned him much as don't want to draw too many conclusions from a few minutes like some have done with Ince. He didn't get too involved and nothing stood out of note. BUT he looked a bit chunky in a early season Ross type way. Hope I'm wrong about that.

TheBadger

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2016, 09:46:34 AM
4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Parker Ohara

McCormack

Ive not mentioned him much as don't want to draw too many conclusions from a few minutes like some have done with Ince. He didn't get too involved and nothing stood out of note. BUT he looked a bit chunky in a early season Ross type way. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Fair enough - appreciate the observation. I must admit, my query was more directed at Chutney as he put him in his starting line up (...new to the board & clicked the wrong quote button! apologies!).

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2016, 09:46:34 AM
4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Parker Ohara

McCormack

I just put him in as we don't have any other options on the wing if we want Cairney to play in the middle, Could easily replace Garbutt with Ream in that line up (I would argue its perhaps a better idea in hindsight), I just see 4-2-3-1 as the most balanced formation around currently and we have the players to make it work, provided labyad is up to it, given we've won twice in something like 18 games he'd do well to be any worse than the current starters.

Do we know how close Woodrow is to being back?
Christensen would be my starter on the left even though its not his natural position, but he was playing well in that position.

Revised version taking your comments in to account:

Lonergan

Fredericks Burn Amorebieta Ream

Parker Ohara

Kacaniklic Cairnery McCormack

Dembele

Obviously not ideal Having Ross on the left but beggars can't be choosers. The simple fact is, when trying to put a line up together, we just don't have a good enough squad to compete consistently, especially when injuries hit.
C O Y W

@jolslover

4231 anyone?

Lonergan

Parker Ohara

McCormack

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=34090.msg454100#msg454100

Read the first comment, Ive been a big fan of Labyad for a while now
STH H3

FPT

Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 07:34:24 AM
Lol Baird at left back

I wish I knew why that 'lol.' He's played left back before, and I think his better full back work came down the left rather than the right for Fulham. He would always play lush cross field passes into Damien Duff. I'm fairly certain that was his starting position in that game against Stoke.

I'm not saying for the rest of the season he's going to bomb down the left flank - just while we take Luke Garbutt out of the firing line, why not? I even spoke about flipping Ashley Richards over to the other side but I trust Baird over there.

Chutney

Quote from: FPT on February 19, 2016, 11:04:53 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 07:34:24 AM
Lol Baird at left back

I wish I knew why that 'lol.' He's played left back before, and I think his better full back work came down the left rather than the right for Fulham. He would always play lush cross field passes into Damien Duff. I'm fairly certain that was his starting position in that game against Stoke.

I'm not saying for the rest of the season he's going to bomb down the left flank - just while we take Luke Garbutt out of the firing line, why not? I even spoke about flipping Ashley Richards over to the other side but I trust Baird over there.

He's a good left back, I also don't understand the "lol"
C O Y W

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2016, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 09:16:25 AM
Oh yes and I've said it a thousand times. 352 is a crap formation with the players that we have. It managed to beat a poor city and qpr team.
Have to disagree, the basis of it is we need to get Cairney in the game, so need at least 3 in central areas and full back is our weakest position so better to have 3 CB's to help that.
We have no natural width really so feel 352/532 plays to our strengths.  Its not as if 442 has been either good or bad for us for most of the season is it?

I hate 3-5-2 however I agree with MJG, we need to get Cairney involved. Yes it was a poor QPR performance however they were ten points above us and we looked the higher placed team, Cairney and O'Hara were a good part of the reason for that. For me it makes sense to get them on the ball and cause damage that way, using the movement and intelligence of Ross and the speed of Moussa to stretch the defence
Every day is a Fulham day

twang

Lonergan
Fredericks - Madl - Burn - Amorebieta - Garbutt
Cairney - Parker - Hyndman
McCormack - Dembele

Hyndman should have the legs to get about the pitch, doubt O'Hara can do it three times a week.
Kaca on for Garbutt if he's crap.
Baird on for Parker when he tires.

@jolslover

Anyone else tempted to start Kaca at LWB if we stick with 5/3 at the back
STH H3

snarks

Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 09:21:25 AM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on February 19, 2016, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 19, 2016, 09:07:35 AM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on February 19, 2016, 08:36:56 AM
Richards will return at right back i think.

Fredericks has pace and nothing more. No final ball at QPR and no defensively nous against Blackburn.
fredericks put in plenty of good balls at qpr. Jazz should be no where near our team

God forbid anyone disagree with you Ben.

Neither are great, Richards is the lesser of two evils.
The lesser of two evils? How do you work that out, jazz is a poor player who should have never had been signed after his disappointing loan spell.

I actually think Jazz is the better defender at RB, and he doesn't fill me full of confidence. Fredricks is better going forward, but he does fall over too easily in the opposition box. Depends how Slav wants to play, if he goes 442, I think he'll pick Richards, 352 he'll go for Fredricks. The left worries me though. If Garbutt plays like he did on Tuesday, I'd prefer Amore, even with his lack of pace However if he plays like he did against QPR, I'd pick him straight away.

TheBadger

Quote from: @jolslover on February 19, 2016, 12:00:47 PM
Anyone else tempted to start Kaca at LWB if we stick with 5/3 at the back

I would only be tempted to have him left out of the squad entirely. Weak and pea-hearted in my opinion. Had plenty of potential but has not lived up to any of it. I'll never forget when he stopped chasing a ball towards the corner at White Hart Lane the year we went down - right in front of us away fans...

hovewhite

Parker for mattila that would be the only change for me with the team told there playing for there places and one more crap performance there out!!!

Lighthouse

SJ has said that Garbutt will play and seems happy enough with the Twitter apology.

I don't see a great need for mass change. Parker will have been rested and will come in. Even If Burn is injured then I still think sticking to the back 5 is worth another go. Central Defenders we have in abundance.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ffc73

Quote from: hovewhite on February 19, 2016, 05:20:25 PM
Parker for mattila that would be the only change for me with the team told there playing for there places and one more crap performance there out!!!

:plus one:

Public rollicking by coach after Blackburn & then 10 of same players told to go and do what they did at QPR

JackyFulham90

Burn is a doubt.

Lonergan
Richards Madl Ream Amorebieta
                      Parker O'Hara
Kacaniklic           Cairney          McCormack
                             Dembele
Subs - Lewis,  Stearman, Garbutt, Baird, Hyndman, Labyad , Smith